• Please log in to reply
1504 replies to this topic

#1201 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

BWP20140209001.jpg

30 Uktar, 1370

So without further thought we head off to the palace, diary in hand. Someone must be told about this!

Out of the front door of the Iron Throne...

BWP20140209002.jpg

and through the streets of the city.

BWP20140209004.jpg

When we get to the northern district, though, I am stopped by the Flaming Fist officer Sorrel.

BWP20140209005.jpg

sorrel.jpg Well keep your head down before they clip it from your shoulders, fool. People are saying you killed the leaders of the Iron Throne. There's a goodly price upon your head, don't you realize?

BRKVQ.jpg A price on my head? And you'll not take it?

sorrel.jpg There's trouble in the Fist, Syvishtar, big trouble. Duke Eltan's fallen sick and Scar was killed, supposedly in a simple robbery but I have my doubts... It's all Angelo, he's making a power grab, taking control of the Fist and, with Scar out of the way, there's nothing to stop him! I've seen him paying visits to the Iron Throne, too, and I don't like it one bit... There are some of us that are still loyal to Eltan and, lucky for you, I happen to be one of them. Please, for your sake and ours, keep your head down and, if you get the chance, sniff around the Iron Throne's base. If you can find a way to talk to Duke Eltan, even better, but they're keeping him in the middle of Fist headquarters... Damn it, Angelo will pay dearly for this and I hope it's soon...

Okay, so then Duke Eltan's NOT dead, they're keeping him at FF headquarters. But the headquarters have been taken over by Angelo. And the palace is right here... so I'll just keep on going.

BWP20140209006.jpg

We make it to the front gates of the Duchal Palace.

BWP20140209007.jpg

But there is a guard posted, and the gates are barred.

BWP20140209008.jpg

bill.jpg Sorry, only those with invitations are allowed to enter.

Well, crap. How are we going to get invitations to Sarevok's coronation?

That sounds like a question for Entar Silvershield to answer. To the Flaming Fist!!

BWP20140209010.jpg

Wait a second... Tamoko told us to meet her outside of the Flaming Fist headquarters after we'd taken care of Entar's healer. I guess she knew that he was being held here. It would have been nice if she would have told US that.

At any rate, we head towards the Flaming Fist headquarters. But Finch yells at us to stop, and to gather around her first. We do, and she makes us invisible.

BWP20140209013.jpg

Oh, good idea Finch! Wouldn't want some other Flaming Fist to see us. Then we keep going, and waltz into the Flaming Fist headquarters without a care in the world.

BWP20140209014.jpg

We head upstairs where we found Duke Eltan before.

BWP20140209015.jpg

And sure enough, he's here in bed, overshadowed by his "healer".

BWP20140209016.jpg

I get everybody in the room, and motion to Kagain to break invisibility.

BWP20140209018.jpg

rashad.jpg So, you've figured out the truth, meat. It will do you little good. GUARDS! Before my guards get here, I should be able to deal with you myself.

He is dead in less than a second.

BWP20140209019.jpg

BWP20140209020.jpg

Shot with an arrow, hit with 2 of Rhialto's Random Missiles, burned with a Flame Strike from the heavens, and sliced in two by a Moonblade, his violated corpse drops to the ground and twiches twice. Kagain curses his miss, and glares at Xan in frustration.

We prepare to deal with the guards coming, but none do. I guess they're smarter than we thought. So I go over to Duke Eltan to see if he's okay.

BWP20140209023.jpg

Oh, right. Duke murder is bad. I look at the letter he gave me.

Letter21.jpg

Oooh, sewer entrance to the palace! I should have thought of that. Also, assassins out to kill more Grand Dukes. Bad times.

Ok Duke Eltan, we'll get to work on this right away! Duke? Duke Eltan?

BWP20140209025.jpg

We'll take him to the Harbormaster, but not before we all drink Potions of Invisibility. I have no time for spurious distractions.

BWP20140209026.jpg

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1202 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

But on the way out, we talk to Tamoko.

BWP20140209028.jpg

Tamoko.jpeg I have things that must be said, things that are important to us both. I have but one condition to my discourse, and you must agree before I speak. A promise I seek, and I will accept no less.

I want to hear what this woman has to say.

BRKVQ.jpg You have my word that I shall honor my promise as best I can.

Tamoko.jpeg I thank you. Here is my request, though it may seem quite odd. I charge you to defeat Sarevok, the man behind all your woes. You must destroy his plans and stop his scheme in its tracks. You must strip him of the belief that he can succeed in this path he follows. You must do this for me, and you must also leave him his life. I will... I will help him to live his life as a man, not as the god he thinks he can be.

BRKVQ.jpg I do not see how such a thing is possible. He has sought to destroy me, and I have only responded in kind.

Tamoko.jpeg Sarevok seeks to destroy everyone, not just you. You are of particular interest because of your shared origins with him. You are a possible rival, one of the few that are worthy of his personal attention. Above all else, you are family. I see this is startling news, though likely you have suspected as much. Does this disturb you? It should not; monsters are often closer to us than we like to think. You are siblings, and the paths open to him are yours as well, though he has ben racing down his from his earliest days. You had Gorion to guide you, did you not? Sarevok had no one. He draws his strength from his hatred, from the thought of rising above those he knows to be inferior. His divine blood hungers for conquest, and that is why he must be defeated, but not killed. He serves another, but does not know it.

BRKVQ.jpg Divine blood? He serves another? Of what do you speak?

Tamoko.jpeg The child becomes the father, or so it desperately wishes. The blood pulls, calls, and demands. The wise Alaundo did say unto the ages, that the Lord of Murder would perish and his doom would spawn his mortal progeny. Chaos would be sown in their passage, but to what purpose? You have felt the hunger and heard the offerings of power? Sarevok thinks they are true and so he seeks a senseless war, and a slaughter of a scale so grand as to defy description. He thinks it will launch him to... to what? Possibly he is right, but I cannot lose him to this.

BRKVQ.jpg Why do you oppose him when you so clearly care for his life?

Tamoko.jpeg Sarevok is... I share Sarevok's company, and would do so until I die, given the choice. That is all you need to know. I would save the man within the beast he wishes to be. I do not believe he will survive his plan, it is all based on conjecture at best. He feels that he has been chosen, and that he will become... more than he is. I do not share this belief. Gods are not known for bequeathing their powers, especially if they have foreseen their deaths. Whatever he is, I would keep him here, grounded firmly among those of us that are all flesh.

I am touched by her words, and look to Xan. He is staring at her. I see it on his face - he thinks her fate will be his own some day.

BRKVQ.jpg I shall strive to stop him, and will do what I can to see that he lives.

Tamoko.jpeg I thank you. Sarevok can be redeemed, as could you should you one day pursue the same path. For now, I shall speak of secrets to aid you. Duke Eltan may be saved, but Duke Entar Silvershield has been killed outright. The murderers have acted with anonymity, but I know who and where they are. You must go to the Undercellars; return if you have already been. There you will find Slythe and Krystin, two unsavory beings that revel in the violence Sarevok allows them to commit. They are no more than animals in human guise, even by the standards of the company they keep. Kill them and you shall know much of the plan. If you do not know where the Undercellars are located then go to the sewers, you will find an entrance there.

BRKVQ.jpg I thank you for your help. I will seek them out.

Tamoko.jpeg There is... another. Atop the Iron Throne base is a woman whose... whose influence is a poison in Sarevok's soul. If she were removed I know he would listen to reason, to my pleading. Cythandria is her name, and she holds much power in this matter. She seeks Sarevok's favor as well, though she is content if he self-destructs, as long as she profits in the deed. I... I must go. He cannot know I have helped you.

Well, maybe we should have killed her then? But whatever. Harbormaster, then Undercellars. I drink another potion and we head off.

I guess this also means that I was mixing up Entar Silvershield and Duke Eltan. Entar died screaming, while Eltan was poisoned and left to be killed by a doppleganger, presumably so that the doppleganger could take his place? I guess? Is that how they work?

But Kivan speaks up, for the first time in what seems like ages. I had almost forgotten what his voice sounds like!

stats.png
BWP20140209029.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg And if it was only Sarevok... the letter mentioned that there are others. I probably have a very large family! All Bhaal's brood, too. I feel that I am in for some more unpleasant surprises.

ywD7r.jpg My friend, do not lose sight of hope. I lived long surrounded by family and then I lost... I lost them all. Yours is a better story: you are finding your family after many years of not knowing that you had any. Maybe you will find soul mates among the other Bhaalspawn? Someone you will be proud to call your brother or sister? You seem to be able to conquer your ominous heritage, why not the others?

BRKVQ.jpg Erm... the encounter with Sarevok is not very encouraging, Kivan.

ywD7r.jpg You have found an enemy instead of a brother. But... Thank the gods, Syvishtar, that we have enemies, for it means that we might also have friends.

Well, that's true. And I seem to have an abundance of friends in the Golden Company!

We sneak our way to the Harbormaster's building without incident.

BWP20140209030.jpg

I realize that this is the first time I've been inside this building as we go up the grand stairs.

BWP20140209031.jpg

Imoen gives it a quick once-over, but theres nothing really to see.

Well, everyone keeps saying that the Undercellars is accessible through the sewers, so I guess we should go in the sewers. Thankfully there's a sewer grate right here!

BWP20140209032.jpg

We head down into the fetid stink.

BWP20140209033.jpg

Yes, yes there is, my dear sword.

We begin our trek through the sewers. I think it was a left, then a right, then a... Xan speaks up.

BWP20140209034.jpg

ywD7r.jpg Tell me of Evereska, mellonamin. Maybe it wil distract you from your dark thoughts. It is a sweet name, the safe haven, the place which all of us wish to visit one day...

jLQZ5.jpg It pains me greatly to destroy your illusions, Kivan. Evereska is as doomed as our kin. Its fragile beauty shall be wiped away when the hordes of barbarians will kill its last defender.

ywD7r.jpg Our people are on the wane, that is true, Xan. But I do believe that Evereska will survive...

jLQZ5.jpg Elven destiny is sealed, Kivan. The doomsday is closing, and I foresee that you and I, we are to witness the ultimate demise of our nation.

ywD7r.jpg Xan, our people have hope. I traveled long, and I saw how we doom ourselves by repelling those who wish us well. We shall not turn away from them, as we shall not turn away from the Half-Elven. Then there will be hope.

jLQZ5.jpg You see hope in half-blood? Your delusions would be highly amusing, if only they were not so sad. This road you are so eager to take in your folly leads to the same destination, only with more twists and turns along the way. The blood will run thinner and thinner, and shall disappear in a generation or two. The doom is near.

ywD7r.jpg Be as it may. I only hope that I live long enough to avenge my wife.

jLQZ5.jpg You see it wrong, Kivan. Your wife is among the lucky ones who are spared the torture of knowing that they are the very last of their blood. Your cause is noble, but it is no less pointless than any other one undertaken in those inopportune times.

ywD7r.jpg One cannot choose his times, he lives and dies with them.

We run across some diseased rats on our way. Imoen cleanses the sewers of their filth.

BWP20140210001.jpg

Then we finally make it to the Undercellars. We've been here before.

BWP20140210002.jpg

Even though Xan is with me, I catch myself eyeing Zizi the Lovebundle.

BWP20140210003.jpg

We go in looking for the two assassins we've read so much about.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1203 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

But they see us first.

BWP20140210004.jpg

An invisible voice answers him.

krystin_invisible.jpg I don't know, Slythe. They're so big and threatening... Oh, my mistake, I was thinking of someone else.

slythe.jpg Ooh, she's got a tongue of steel and a heart of gold, my Krystin does... And she's so pretty that she makes herself all invisible so guys don't give her hassle. Not that they would with a tough guy like me looking after her, of course...

krystin_invisible.jpg Slythie-baby, you tell them honey...

slythe.jpg Oh baby, you know me. You know your Slythie... Hey you, don't you go watchin' us go all mushy, alright? It ain't none of your business... What's that you whispering, sweetheart? ...Hey, now, my girl Krystin tells me that yous all have a soft spot for the Grand Dukes. Sure is a shame about Entar Silvershield, isn't it?

krystin_invisible.jpg One down and two to go. Poor Dukes... Wouldn't it have been better if they had all died together?

slythe.jpg Bah, Krystin, don't give it all away like that, now. It's on... what do they call that again, the silver bladder? ... Ah, enough of this cat and mouse stuff, anyhow. I ain't cut out for it. We'll kill 'em now and do the Dukes after lunch like Sarevok said us to.

krystin_invisible.jpg Mmm, I love you for your mind, Slythe.

We begin to smite Slythe as Kristin buffs herself up.

BWP20140210005.jpg

Xan cuts into Slythe with two swings of his sword, and I search for Kristin.

BWP20140210006.jpg

Kristin is revealed, and I send Kagain after her with his Axe of Dispelling Fire. I also try to hit Slythe with some magic missiles, but unleash a Stinking Cloud into the brothel instead!

BWP20140210007.jpg

Slythe pops a Potion of Invisibility at the same time that Kristin steps through a Shadow Door, but my pulse of Detect Invisibility keeps them both vulnerable.

BWP20140210008.jpg

What gets him, in the end, is one of Kivan's arrows.

BWP20140210009.jpg

Kagain gets a hit in, one that strips Kristin of all her magic. But her Contingency fires, and she is coated in stone.

BWP20140210010.jpg

Kristin Confuses and injures Kagain, and I worry that she might kill him, so I cast Dispel Magic on the entire area.

BWP20140210011.jpg

Everything disappears, Kristin's protections and Kagain's confusion alike. Much better.

BWP20140210012.jpg

Xan gets the killing blow on the magical assassin. Good. She deserved to die.

Kristin was wearing Boots of Avoidance, and had a number of magical sling bullets. She also had another Rift Hammer +2, and a dagger called Longtooth +2.

Longtooth_2.jpg

Slythe was wearing Gauntlets of Power Attacks and the Segoy Signet Amulet.

Segoy_Signet_Amulet.jpg

He was wielding another Boomerang Dagger +2, a Short Sword of Backstabbing +3, and a Shadow Crossbow. It all goes into the bag.

He was also holding two letters. The first is an invitation to Sarevok's coronation!

BWP20140210014.jpg

The second is a very incriminating letter from Sarevok.

Letter28.jpg

We go out the southeast exit of the Undercellars and find ourselves in what must be the Blushing Mermaid!

BWP20140210015.jpg

We exit the place and run straight for the palace. We have no time to lose!

BWP20140210016.jpg

We rush down a side street and to the gates of the Duchal Palace!

BWP20140210017.jpg

I rush forward to talk to Bill.

BWP20140210018.jpg

bill.jpg Don't be so impatient! Let's take a look at these invitations. Hmmmmm... yes, they do look authentic. All right then, you can enter.

He raises the gate! We rush in, all in a hurry.

BWP20140210019.jpg

When we get in there, everything is amazingly posh! I'm actually starting to get jealous of Sarevok.

#1204 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

All the more reason to crash his coronation then!

BWP20140210021.jpg

flaming_fist_door_guard.jpg Thank you very much. You may pass now.

I nod and enter the palace. I decide to look around, but I can only look in one direction. My blood runs cold. He stands there! In his evil armor and everything!

BWP20140210022.jpg

Right there among decent people!

A useless fop tries to engage me in small talk.

BWP20140210023.jpg

I brush him off and just walk towards Sarevok. He is there, finally there in front of me. I will... I will...

BWP20140210024.jpg

Liia_Jannath.jpeg As all of you know, this is a special occasion for the city of Baldur's Gate. It is time for a new person to join the ranks of the Grand Dukes. I do not wish to downplay the tragedy that we suffered with the loss of Entar Silversheld, but this is not the time for us to show grief.

Belt.jpeg The votes have been tallied from those submitted by the landowners. The result was nearly unanimous.

nobleman.jpg What of Duke Eltan? Has his condition improved at all? If he dies, who will replace him?

Many different noblemen speak up, but I can hardly tell them apart.

nobleman.jpg What about the rumors of Amn mobilizing for war? Why aren't we preparing for war?

nobleman.jpg With our iron shortage, how are we to defend ourselves? Who will give us the iron we need?

nobleman.jpg What of the Zhentarim? I've heard that they may be somehow involved.

nobleman.jpg I believe that Eltan was poisoned by members of the Shadow Thieves. They're obviously trying to kill our leaders.

Belt.jpeg All of your questions will be answered in due time, you need not worry.

nobleman.jpg Entar was killed by Shadow Thieves; agents of Amn. If it isn't obvious to the rest of you, it's obvious to me: Amn wants a war.

Liia_Jannath.jpeg The evidence we have about Entar's murder does resemble the work of the Shadow Thieves, but...

nobleman.jpg Resembles! That's ridiculous, the signature left behind on the body WAS the mark of the Shadow Thieves. Are you blind AND stupid, woman?!

Liia_Jannath.jpeg If I MAY continue, the signature left behind was very blatant, and could have been put there to mislead all of us.

nobleman.jpg Who would want to mislead us!

Belt.jpeg Perhaps I could interject something before this meeting degenerates into meaningless bickering. We are here to welcome our new Grand Duke, so perhaps we should get on with it.

Belt.jpeg Introducing the new Grand Duke, Sarevok Anchev.

Sarevok.jpeg I am honored to be here before such a respected assemblage of noblemen. I accept my new position with full awareness to my new responsibilities, and I will have many of them.

Sarevok.jpeg I would first like to address many of the questions that had been asked earlier. The rumors about Amn's mobilization for war are entirely true, as is the involvement of their Zhentarim cohorts. But do not worry, we are not bereft of a defense. Although the recent Zhentish attempt at depriving us of the most valuable war resources, iron, has weakened us, it has not crippled us. When my father was most recently murdered, I inherited his control over the western branch of the Iron Throne. They have a great deal of stockpiled iron, enough for all of our needs. I will give this to the city to do with as you will. Unfortunately, our greatest military commander lies on his death bed, a grievous blow to this city. To insure that the Flaming Fist is well led, I will be assuming control of the mercenary regiment, with permission from its current steward, Angelo.

Belt.jpeg Wait one moment, that is not in your power to decide.

nobleman.jpg Shut up! Let Sarevok speak.

Sarevok.jpeg Instead of waiting for the war to come to us, we will take it to them. With the Flaming Fist we should be able to easily take the town of Nashkel, and then quickly fortify the mountain pass through the Cloud Peaks. What?! Who dares to interrupt!

Oh, so you've finally seen me, have you brother? I rush in as most of the nobles turn into dopplegangers! Crap!

BWP20140210028.jpg

I try to control the situation, but they strike fear into the hearts of Kagain, Xan, and Finch right away!

BWP20140210029.jpg

I can't let this go on, so I cast a Dispel Magic right at my own feet. It mostly works.

BWP20140210030.jpg

I prepare another spell, Slow, but it looks like its unneeded. Plenty of Flaming Fist help Kagain and Xan to clean up the remaining dopplegangers.

BWP20140210031.jpg

As soon as all the dopplegangers are dead, Belt comes to thank us.

BWP20140210032.jpg

Belt.jpeg You can't just randomly shout accusations at a Grand Duke. Do you have any documents to back up these allegations?

BRKVQ.jpg We have his diary! It has everything you need to know!

Belt.jpeg I'll take a look, but if you're wrong, the punishment for such false accusations is severe.

Sarevok.jpeg Those men are the ones wanted on multiple counts of murder. KILL THEM!

Belt.jpeg These men are not to be touched until I have finished reading these documents.

Sarevok.jpeg You don't need to read that document, but since I know you're too stupid to take my advice, I'll just take your head.

Oh no you won't, you bastard. Not if my lesser earth elemental has anything to say about it!

BWP20140210033.jpg

My elemental, the assembled Flaming Fist, Kagain, Xan, and the dukes all surround Sarevok and beat on him. Kivan's and Imoen's arrows fly straight and true, too. Sarevok must realize that he can't win, because he looks at me and speaks.

BWP20140210034.jpg

jLQZ5.jpg Exhilarating! Finally, instead of 'you're all going to die,' a villain gives us a choice: kill or be killed. Wait! Have not we had it all along?

Sarevok.jpeg That choice was always before you.

Then a portal opens beside me, and one Winski Perorate steps though.

#1205 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:57 AM

An instant later, Sarevok disappears through an identical portal.

BWP20140210035.jpg

And then, Winski is also gone. It is over. Sarevok has been defeated!

Belt steps up to congratulate me.

BWP20140210036.jpg

Wait, that's not a congratulations...

BRKVQ.jpg I think you're right. The only problem is finding the bastard.

Belt.jpeg Through the power of my god, I should be able to divine his location. Just wait a moment, and I'll tell you where he has gone.

Belt.jpeg He has been teleported to the Thieves' Guild. I will dimension-fold you to where he has gone. From there you can follow him, and kill him. Good luck.

And with barely a blink of an eye, a fade to black and back again, we are suddenly in the Thieves' Guild!

BWP20140210037.jpg

denkod.jpg He went down the stairs right over there. He was sure in a hurry. If you're going after the guy, it'd probably be good of you to get a little more prepared than you look. Down there's the thief warrens, and they're really dangerous. Go talk to Black Lily over in the store room by the stairs. She'll give you some good prices on equipment. I even hear that she sells some magic stuff.

Well, uh, good for him for trying to make a profit off of a crisis, I guess, but the thief has a point. I need to be more prepared than I am. And, I think I have a plan.

BWP20140210038.jpg

Oh yes, I have a plan alright.

#1206 Nocat

Nocat
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

I am excited. Both for the ending of this game, and the beginning of the next.

#1207 -Kolvar-

-Kolvar-

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:50 AM

Best "Let's play" i've ever read (especially interesting for new players like me who have BGEE (even if I didn't entirely lose hope to try the NPC Project mod in the future !)). And good job with that SirBillyBob bastard, a chaotic F/M/T with 8 millions xps deserve to die (as much as Sean Connery's crazy dopplegangers admirers) !! 

However, I hope Sarevok has been improved or he won't last long lol !

#1208 Johnson

Johnson
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

Best "Let's play" i've ever read (especially interesting for new players like me who have BGEE (even if I didn't entirely lose hope to try the NPC Project mod in the future !)). And good job with that SirBillyBob bastard, a chaotic F/M/T with 8 millions xps deserve to die (as much as Sean Connery's crazy dopplegangers admirers) !! 

However, I hope Sarevok has been improved or he won't last long lol !

I agree I'm not one for lets plays but this one has kept me coming back.

#1209 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

BWP20140218001.jpg

The Feast of the Moon, 1370

It is auspicious that today is the Feast of the Moon. Auspicious of what, I do not know. But somebody's going to be eating well today!

As I'm formulating my plan, I discuss things with Imoen. She seems even more knowledgeable than normal, even more capable. She seems almost my equal in knowledge of the Weave, actually.

BWP20140218002.jpg

BWP20140218003.jpg

BWP20140218004.jpg

I'm so proud of her. She has come so far! Its as if we're related somehow, as if we were... no. I wouldn't wish that on her.

But it is time to put my plan into motion. I take one of the oldest magical items in my possession, that I got from Gorion himself. I take within my hands the Stone of Recall.

7SrmC.jpg

I move us all to that barren sanctuary. I have everyone stand in an order that I have made up all in my own head.

BWP20140218005.jpg

Then I ask the Final Five to wait. They agree, of course. They look quite regal in their golden armor, their glowing magical weapons. They look like a club of demigods, nonchalantly waiting to strike down all enemies.

BWP20140218006.jpg

Then I return to the Elfsong Tavern. It is time to equip everyone.

BWP20140218007.jpg

EVERYONE!!!!!

BWP20140218009.jpg

Yes yes, come come, we have equipment to wrap you in.

It is exhausting trying to find the perfect platemail for Minsc. He has to try on every. single. one.

BWP20140218011.jpg

But eventually he settles on an ensemble.

BWP20140218015.jpg

It is the Full Plate Mail of Flame. With it and the Talisman of Fire Resistance, he will also be healed by the cleansing flames of friend and foe alike. Since he cannot be under my direct command, I give him two unusual items - the Cloak of Displacement and the Boots of Displacing. The boots will automatically teleport him behind whatever foe he sees, and the cloak will guarantee that their first attack will miss. That will give Minsc time to lay about with Belhifet's Sword of Grief +5, hopefully poisoning everything in his path irrevocably. Truly a devastating foe.

He becomes 6th to stand ready.

BWP20140218016.jpg

Squirrel comes next.

BWP20140218017.jpg

He needs a Girdle of Frost Giant Strength to be able to equip anything. After I cinch it on his tiny widdle frame, he is ready to go.

BWP20140218019.jpg

He wields Elgenon's Bramble, that shoots spiky spines at everything from range. He is encased in a wide variety of druid-only armor, and even has the Great Shield - White Oak with him. How, I do not know. He also has complete immunity to fire by way of the Ring of Fire Shielding, something only a druid can wear. He also wears an ioun stone, to better mark his place in the area. The little beast is fearsome. He also memorizes offensive spells.

He stands beside Minsc, in the Ready Cave. He stands stalwart.

BWP20140218020.jpg

After I return, I consult my list, and look up Yeslick.

BWP20140218021.jpg

Sometimes I wonder why he isn't in the Final Five. Then I remember Kagain, and how nobody can touch him. Still, it's close.

He also decides on the Full Plate Mail of Flame in the end, like Minsc. I also give him Durlag's Crown and a Rift Hammer. He's good to go.

BWP20140218022.jpg

Yeslick also takes his place in the sanctuary.

BWP20140219001.jpg

Edwin is next. Great.

BWP20140219002.jpg

It is when choosing what to wear for Edwin that I realize we have 7 Robes of the Evil Archmagi. I guess that means there are 7 less evil archmagi in the world. So, go us?

But Edwin cares not for any of them. He only has eyes for the black, eater-of-color Robe of the Abyss. He also gets the Gloves of the Magi, like I have, and a Red Ioun Stone. He takes the last Ring of Fire Resistance and the Ring of Dwarven Bone. He sneers at my potions and stocks up on wands. He sneers at the Boots of Speed and takes the Gnomish Boots. He also takes the one remaining Cloak of the Shield. Perhaps he's had a bad run-in with magic missiles before. Finally, he takes the Boomerang Dagger. He's ready to rock.

BWP20140219003.jpg

He takes an equal mix of defensive and offensive spells. But he won't let me look at his spellbook or give him any advice.

I put him in the corner. You can barely see him there.

BWP20140219004.jpg

His best friend and number one fangirl is next.

BWP20140219005.jpg

She goes totally thiefly with her equipment. But I don't want her in melee, so I only give her a sling. The girl can't die on me.

BWP20140219006.jpg

Then, I realize that there is a flaw in my plan, or at least an unnecessary part. Aside from the order in which they get equipment, my personal mental order of the Golden Company is immaterial. After I equip each person, I shouldn't line them up according to number. Instead I should put them in their final attack formation, based on role. So, I reorganize the assembled members of the Golden Company into support and melee groups, with the Final Five separate from them.

BWP20140219008.jpg

So far Minsc and Yeslick are melee, and Alora, Edwin, and Squirrel are support. But there will be many more, oh so many more.

Viconia is one of them.

BWP20140219009.jpg

I am a little worried about her, because of her lack of strength limiting her equipment selection, but we surprisingly enough find a lot of good equipment for her. She wears the Green Dragon Scale I got while hanging out with Drizzt. There is even a large shield that works for her. She gets both a +3 mace, the Storm Star, and a +2 sling. I recommend that she uses the sling, but she could switch. Also, she prepares a balanced selection of healing and offensive spells.

BWP20140303001.jpg

With Yeslick in the forefront, I put Viconia in the back due to her low strength.

BWP20140219011.jpg

Then I go and talk to my old mentor, Firebead.

BWP20140219012.jpg

He wears the Robe of the Neutral Archmagi, and I also give him Ulcaster's Amulet. He died there, after all. He's earned it. He also gets a Ring of Archwizardry. He knows his magic, he should use it.

BWP20140219014.jpg

He is a consummate spellcaster, and memorizes all of the spells a mage of his stature should have prepared for this kind of situation.

He also goes on the back row.

BWP20140219015.jpg

Khalid is next.

BWP20140219016.jpg

He ends up wearing the Mithril Field Plate Armor +2, the personal armor of Bruenor Battlehammer. He also wears Warrior Gloves for their expertise boost. He goes quite defensive with a Helm of Protection, the Talisman of Protection, a Cloak of Protection +1, a Ring of Free Action +2, and the Medium Shield +2, Heart of the Dragon. They all wrap him in many protective magics. Then he goes with the Boots of Ensured Quickness, and two swords, the Long Sword +3: Gift of Storm, and the Answerer +2, which lowers magical resistance and armor with each hit.

BWP20140304001.jpg

But when I try to get Khalid and Jaheira (they are inseparable) to wait in Shaundakul's sanctuary, they refuse. Instead of waiting around, they simply leave.

BWP20140503001.jpg

#1210 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

I didn't even know that they knew how to get out of this sanctuary themselves, but they do. I look all over the place for them and only find them again at the Friendly Arm Inn. After I chase them down, Khalid goes on a little rant.

stats.png
BWP20140304003.jpg

ciOMn.jpg That is the reason your goodness should be grounded in the Balance of Nature. You are not then concerned with punishment or reward.

d7Fxw.jpg Q-quite. I do wonder, though, if it was t-to exactly this sort of situation to which your own t-teaching referred.

What good deed are they referring to? Trying to help me? But before I can ask, Jahiera asks me a question instead.

stats.png
BWP20140304004.jpg

What letter? This letter? Oh yes, I read it constantly. But something in her words sparks off an old twinge of distrust. A hidden anger manifests.

BRKVQ.jpg You... you knew, didn't you? You knew about this and would not speak! You... you betrayer!

ciOMn.jpg What do you speak of, Syvishtar? I will have none of this, being called these insulting names, knowing nothing of what you accuse me!

BRKVQ.jpg That you knew I was a Bhaalspawn and did not tell me, you Harper whore! You and all your meddling lot, you are always keeping your petty little secrets, only to stab me in the back later. That's what makes me call you betrayer!

ciOMn.jpg A... a Bhaalspawn? You are one of the Children? I... I suppose I should have guessed. But trust me, please, I did not know of this until now! Gorion had not told us, and I can only guess that he was about to do so! Quench this anger, for it is unfounded!

BRKVQ.jpg Perhaps... perhaps I was a little harsh... but I can't believe Gorion would have not told you about my heritage!

ciOMn.jpg Yes, I have to agree that it is odd, for Gorion was always honest and never secretive in his dealings with me. He cared for Khalid and me, and taught us much... perhaps he thought that knowing this might endanger us, and wanted to prevent that? Who can say... I think he planned to tell us when he asked Khalid and me to come to the Friendly Arm. Alas...

BRKVQ.jpg Yes... I suppose that makes sense. I did not want to question your loyalty, Jaheira. Let's just continue on with our quest.

But I cannot convince them to wait in the Sanctuary. They only agree to wait in the Friendly Arm Inn. Well, if they're not going to cooperate, they can just miss out on the confrontation with Sarevok. See if I care! And see if I give Jahiera any equipment either!

Lady Seafom is next. But, honestly, I cannot think of a way to include her in the fight. Without being under my direct control, she is quite... dangerous. She will turn all hands against each other until only she remains. She would sow complete chaos into the ranks of the Golden Company. I must keep her in reserve.

So I continue with Black Bear.

BWP20140304002.jpg

The first thing he gets is the Fighting Gauntlets.

BWP20140304005.jpg

Not much else fits him. The Steel Robe manages to work with his bulk. Boots of Displacing fit on his back legs. I manage to wedge in the Talisman of Cold Resistance and the Talisman of Protection from Poison into his fur. And I tie a Cloak of Protection +1 around him. It seems to work. But other than that, he doesn't have anything else to wear.

BWP20140304006.jpg

Black Bear of course goes on the front row.

BWP20140304007.jpg

Next is Jet'laya.

BWP20140304008.jpg

I'm starting to just equip people by theme. Jet'laya has her own cloak and chainmail, so I give those back to her. Also, the Blue Kite Shield with +70% protection from fire goes with her cloak, so I give that to her as well. She was handy with the Mace of Disruption, so she gets that to fight with. A Helm of Glory, Gauntlets of Dexterity, and Amulet of Power round her out as a great front-line fighter. She wears her sister's ring on one hand always, and on the other I let her wear a Ring of Protection. She is as ready to go as she can be.

BWP20140304009.jpg

I put her in the front line.

BWP20140304010.jpg

I approach Dynaheir next.

BWP20140503002.jpg

The woman's heart is in the right place, but her magical talent is... lacking. Not enough practice, I suppose. And her insistence on not memorizing new spells is quite frustrating. Oh well, we'll have to take her out again sometime after all this. Get her up to speed. For now, though, she needs all the protection she can get.

I look into the bag, but I feel her staring at me. She waits until I look up, and then...

BWP20140503004.jpg

UQdpk.jpg Not much is known of the prophecy of Alaundo, Syvishtar. Even less is clear. Thou wert but an orphaned child marked strangely by fate when I met thee. There was blood spilt about thee, but still different from what the prophecy sayeth.

BRKVQ.jpg What does it say? What is my destiny?

UQdpk.jpg The words I saw were few, yet chilling. Armies march and cities burn / The rivers froth with tainted blood / The corpses of those born not innocent / Feed the inferno of boiling hate.

BRKVQ.jpg You scare me, Dynaheir. Is there more?

UQdpk.jpg I know no more than that.

Then we set out on the business of equipping this low-level sorcerling. In the end, I'm unsatisfied, but there's not much you can do.

BWP20140503005.jpg

She's got the Memento Mori mage robes and two Mystics' Rings, plus a Sorcerer's Staff. All of these together let her cast 10 level one spells and 7 level two spells. She also insists on wearing a Nymph Cloak, as she thinks it increases her spellpower. I doubt it, though. A Wand of Polymorph and the Stone of Good Luck are all that remain for me to give her, except for the Mage's Bracers. Those along with the staff will reduce her casting time. I hope it is enough.

I put her in the back, NOT next to Edwin, and hope it is enough to keep her alive.

BWP20140503006.jpg

Then its on to Coran.

BWP20140503007.jpg

Coran, with his longbow proficiency, is definitely a back-line support. I load him up with equipment to maximize that.

BWP20140504001.jpg

The bow he wields is the Composite Longbow +2, which has a greater damage bonus than any other we have. He has Bracers of Archery, and a host of stealth-enhancing equipment. I hope to use him to lay traps down before the fight begins. Then I stick him on the back row too.

Gameplay note: I'm never doing this again. From now on, everybody gets to keep their equipment.

BWP20140504002.jpg

Gameplay note: This detailing of equipment is bogging me down so much that I can probably blame it for the reason I've procrastinated on this update so much. So screw this! I'm going to equip the rest of the party and not tell you exactly what I'm putting on them. It's mostly non-epic stuff now anyways. Coran even got a generic Composite Longbow +2.

I rush through the rest of the equipping of the Golden Company in a kind of trance. Who cares what magical doodad goes to which useless fodder... err, loyal companion. I didn't say that out loud did I?

Some of the Golden Company find their loyalty wavering. They refuse to join up without money up-front.

BWP20140504011.jpg

I don't have much to bribe with, and I don't feel like messing with it. So I just leave them be. How much can Mur'Neth contribute to the battle anyway?

Gameplay note: This is something that we have not encountered much with companions before, because the popular guys get in the party much more often than the unpopular guys. The Relationship Mod, though, keeps track of that, and by the endgame here some people just decide not to be with us anymore because we haven't spent enough time with them. Or money on them. Mur'Neth is one of them, and the first one that I didn't want to bother bribing to fix. I had to bribe a couple of the others, but I didn't mind because they were more important. But I don't want to run all over town buying specific types of rings for Mur'Neth, so screw him. This is the second factor that was really chapping my hide about this final update, so not worrying about it anymore is necessary for my sanity.

When it comes time to speak with Branwen, we have a few minutes alone. A few precious minutes only, and dear to my heart.

stats.png
BWP20140504013.jpg

XhduJ.jpg I shall stay with you. Tempus' hand shall guide you through your battles, and my prayer will shield you from most serious injuries and harms. But there is nothing to come between us, save camaraderie, and most likely, I shall depart once bards choir the first ballad telling of the Hero of the Sword Coast.

I think about all that has happened to me, of a life lived in full so far, of battles fought and selves conquered. And I am also at peace.

BRKVQ.jpg I accept this. You are more than welcome to stay, my friend.

XhduJ.jpg Thank you, comrade.

Gameplay note: Little-known fact -- Branwen is communist.

Garrick, the Golden Company bard that has never actually been out of our taverns, poses a question to me.

stats.png
BWP20140504017.jpg

zxdJb.jpg Well, I like this adventuring and all, don't get me wrong. But I am scared sometimes. There's the thrill of living on the edge, but I never know if I'm going to wake up skewered by a hobgoblin's arrow.

BRKVQ.jpg You don't enjoy staring death in the eyes? What about the joys of melee? You can't deny it makes you feel alive, can you?

zxdJb.jpg Uh... Well, I suppose that's true. I'd like to avoid those sorts of situations where possible, though.

BRKVQ.jpg What's the matter? Are you a coward?

zxdJb.jpg I'd just prefer to live another day, is all. I'm only young, and I'm a lover, not a fighter... Plus I can't very well pen tales when I'm dead, can I? Hmm, unless I was, uh, undead... creepy.

And after contemplating that idea a bit more, Garrick decides that he just isn't close enough to me to help me destroy my super-evil half-brother.

BWP20140504018.jpg

He and Mur'Neth can sit around and coward together for all I care.

Edited by Usurper, 04 May 2014 - 09:06 PM.

#1211 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

Quayle is the same way. But I have a ridiculous conversation with him first.

stats.png
BWP20140504005.jpg

Quayle.jpeg I, uh, have a special lotion.

BRKVQ.jpg Actually, I wasn't expecting an answer. Well, not that answer.

Quayle.jpeg Well, with a brain this big, the hat does chafe. I would offer you some of the lotion but, y'know, I think it'd be wasted on you.

BRKVQ.jpg Right. Uh, time to keep moving, I think.

Then he just leaves. He also doesn't want to go with me.

BWP20140504019.jpg

I need dedicated people here. I can't deal with this mercenary attitude.

An interesting thing I notice when I speak with Safana. She is still wearing Drowcraft armor and using Drowcraft weapons!

BWP20140504020.jpg

How she protected them from sunlight I'll never know, but there she is, all purple. I let her keep them. Any edge in a fight.

When I am alone with Gavin, he mentions the now-infamous Letter.

BWP20140504021.jpg

LxWCX.jpg No, but I fear what you might become. I know you have no control over who your father was. But the question is, now that you know what you are, what are you going to do with the knowledge?

BRKVQ.jpg I am still thinking about all the possibilities.

LxWCX.jpg All the possibilities? If you take that attitude, the only possibility this is going to give you is to become a monster. Is that what you want?

BRKVQ.jpg No. I will fight it.

LxWCX.jpg Then I will gladly help you.

Bub Snikt is also uncooperative.

BWP20140504022.jpg

I guess I should have anticipated this. I should have distributed the loot more evenly. I suppose I can understand the deserters' position - there's nothing in it for them. Maybe I should have let them keep their equipment.

But it really hurts when Rose refuses to come.

BWP20140504023.jpg

I thought we were close! But I guess that was a long time ago, for both of us.

There are no other surprise desertions, and in the end we have assembled the entire company. We have 32 souls ready to pour out of an interdimensional rift and kick my half-brother's ass all the way into next week!

BWP20140504024.jpg

Gameplay note: In the front row, from left to right, we start out with Conchobhair Strongblade in the red armor, and behind him is Xavia. Mulgore is just to the right of her, and then Indira wielding the Long Swords "Life" and "Death". Continuing the front row in another set of glowing red armor is Minsc, and next to him is Jet'Laya. The third set of glowing red armor is Yeslick. Next to him is Black Bear, then Ferthgil Trollslayer. After that it is Will Scarlett O'Hara, Bjornin, and finally in the top right is Thorfinn Hauskluniff.

A middling middle row of healers include Branwen on the left in green, Faldorn in the center, and Gavin on the right. Perhaps I should put Jet'Laya in there.

In the back row, we start with Skeezer Lumpkin IV, then Safana, Keiria Silverstring, Coran, Dynaheir, Alora, Edwin, Squirrel, Viconia, Firebead Elvenhair, and finally Xzar on the far right. Perhaps I should also add Viconia to the middle row of healers.

The deserters in the end are Jaheira, Khalid, Mur'Neth, Rose, Bub Snikt, Quayle, and Garrick (with Lady Seafoam Wonderbounce as a special exception). May their names be stricken from the records of the Golden Company, for they wussed out when I needed them most.

I am coming, little brother, and the Golden Company comes with me!

#1212 Justify

Justify
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:23 PM

WOO YOU'ER BACK!

Glad to see the LP hasn't died

#1213 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

hehe thanks!

#1214 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

BWP20140505001.jpg

4 Nightal, 1370

As we leave the sanctuary, prepared to track down Sarevok once and for all, Xan gives me that look.

BWP20140505003.jpg

jLQZ5.jpg I thought the exercise would steer my thoughts clear of you, but all things bright and beautiful only bring your image back, it seems.

jLQZ5.jpg *He looks back at the wreath, and you cannot help but notice that his fingers are caressing it with unusual fondness, and there is very soft expression on his face.* Of course, if you want it, you need but say a word.

BRKVQ.jpg I do.

jLQZ5.jpg *As he sets the wreath upon your head, Xan momentarily presses his cheek to your hair, drinking in its scent, and you hear him murmur something in Elven.*

Then we all check our weapons and equipment one more time before heading out... to Sorcerous Sundries! For the first time in my life, with all of my Golden Company equipped and kitted out, I feel comfortable in selling off all my extra equipment.

Gameplay note: It might help to lessen gameplay lag too.

BWP20140505007.jpg

We sell all the swords, all the sabers and staves, all the platemails and leathers, all the axes and clubs. After it is all over, I have 358,569 gold.

BWP20140505008.jpg

This is going to be a lot easier to carry!

I also pick up the spells Wraith Form and Vestcake's Floating Curse, which I had not been able to afford before.

Vestcake_s_Floating_Curse.jpg

Then we go to the Thieves' Guild once more, to finally take down the rabid armored dog of Sarevok once and for all.

BWP20140505014.jpg

We go down the stairs and find signs of carnage.

BWP20140505015.jpg

voleta_stiletto.jpg You've got me best wishes if you are hunting him down. Flew by me, he did, and only paused to stick me for the fun of it. Vicious bastard, he is. The traps ahead will likely claim him, even with that mage he has dragging along with him.

BRKVQ.jpg Traps be damned! They will not escape me!

voleta_stiletto.jpg Fitting last words if ever I have heard them. Go on then; run along. If you make it through to the Undercity alive I will be more than surprised. No skin off my nose either way, though I'd love to see you run Sarevok through. I'll just wait here to hear about it though, if you don't mind. I ain't fool enough to run that gauntlet in there. The maze has not seen a live person pass since it was built. Maintained by her undead creators you know. Cleaned by jellies too. Better get a move on. Off you go.

BRKVQ.jpg Where does the maze lead?

voleta_stiletto.jpg I don't rightly know, though it is said there is a city beneath this one. Some archaeologist smart-arsed sage might be able to tell you more about it. It's not a proper city down there, you understand. Just the remains. Not surprising, really. If the site that Baldur's Gate is built on is so appealing, it would figure that there would have been one built here before. I care little: nothing but dead down there now. Get moving.

BRKVQ.jpg I understand. Rest ye well.

voleta_stiletto.jpg Yeah, whatever. Just you be sure to give that Sarevok a shank o' steel.

Traps, eh? I let Imoen go first.

BWP20140505016.jpg

But she doesn't find traps, she finds green slimes.

BWP20140505017.jpg

We run to help her out.

BWP20140505018.jpg

Kagain is really good at this.

The winding passages soon start to feel monotonous.

BWP20140505019.jpg

I really wish we could climb up this ladder.

BWP20140505020.jpg

There are more oozes.

BWP20140505021.jpg

No wonder this place is so clean.

A single hopeless Doomguard stands in my way.

BWP20140505022.jpg

He doesn't last long.

BWP20140505023.jpg

jLQZ5.jpg Around you I almost feel that we have a chance.

yMmMP.jpg You candor is appreciated.

Two skeleton warriors the next corridor over don't seem to be much of a threat either.

BWP20140505024.jpg

The Lightning trap just in front of them does take a few bits of skin off of Kagain though.

BWP20140505025.jpg

The Fireball trap just after that also hurts. I groan.

BWP20140505026.jpg

Imoen starts cleaning things up though.

BWP20140505027.jpg

While the dwarf and the elf clean the undead up.

BWP20140505028.jpg

We come to a fork in the maze.

BWP20140505029.jpg

I choose the nearer right-hand turn.

It leads us into the embrace of an invisible stalker.

BWP20140505030.jpg

And a dead end. Xan takes out the stalker, but can do nothing for the end.

BWP20140505031.jpg

Meta_Infernum.jpeg I am yours, 'til death comes for us both.

Uh, thanks Meta Infernum. You're the best!

We come to another crossroads, but the way seems clear.

BWP20140505032.jpg

At the end of the hall we find another dying body.

BWP20140505033.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg What was your role in this? Why did you help him if you knew you were to be cast aside?

Winski.jpeg What was my role? I was Sarevok's mentor, and tutored him in the blackest of rituals. If he were to succeed there is no doubt I would be among the dead, but my name would live on in his wake. There are things beyond death if you die in the right fashion, and how could there not be a place in history for the architect that shaped the actions of the ascending Lord of Murder? You would not understand; you were born to affect the Realms. The rest of us must carve our own place by whatever means necessary.

BRKVQ.jpg Ascending? What was he planning? The war with Amn makes no sense.

Winski.jpeg You must know his plan by now. You have practically followed his every move. Likely you are driven by the same desires as well, though you have channeled them in a different fashion. No, war with Amn was not his true goal; Sarevok is no profiteer. The slaughter was all he wanted, with enough lives lost in the initial battles to ignite the fire in his own divine blood. He thought death on the appropriate scale would cause him to ascend. Perhaps he would have, but who can really say? If you have the arrogance of a god and can kill like a god, who's to say you are not a god?

BRKVQ.jpg I will prove he is not! Where has he gone to hide?

Winski.jpeg Oh, Sarevok is not intent on hiding. You have stripped him of any pretense; there is no longer any point in him maintaining his respectable veneer. Only the most fanatical or fearful of his allies stand by him now. He will gather what resources he can and move on. Of course he knows that you must come to confront him and that it is to his advantage to choose the battleground. There is an altar in the Undercity; it was to be where the ritual would take place, but now serves as his last refuge. If you do not go to him, he will strike at you at his leisure.

BRKVQ.jpg You shall live to see all of his plans crumble.

Winski.jpeg Your "charity" is admirable. You have definitely taken a separate path than Sarevok, though I wonder if it shall truly matter in the end. Leave me, I am no longer a threat to you or anyone. I'm just going to rest here a while.

We do leave him, and enter the door he lies beside.

#1215 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

We eventually climb down to see an abandoned city, hidden from the upper world for ages long past.

Xan speaks then.

BWP20140505035.jpg

jLQZ5.jpg When... if... it is over, I will have to abandon you for a few weeks. A long time, I know, but I see no other way. I have to report on my mission... and ask my superiors' permission to leave. I am going to resign.

BRKVQ.jpg Can't I come with you?

jLQZ5.jpg I wish it were possible, but given your parentage, it is not.

Gameplay note: Damn, pureblood iceburn!

jLQZ5.jpg If we lose the battle, there is no future. But if we win, this short separation will mean nothing. It might be dangerous for you to stay in the city: too many suspect your true lineage. But wherever your mad destiny hurls you - wilderness, city, or dungeon - I... I'll find you, and we'll walk together again. I promise. *sigh* That, or you might start looking for my dead body in a few months.

jLQZ5.jpg And the last thing, before the darkness descends... I love you. From the Nashkel mines to the Undercity, to the grave and beyond, in the Dreamscape and in the Prime - I love you, and I always will. Come. It is time.

Kivan also has something to say. Unusual, and shocking, but true.

BWP20140505036.jpg

May the gods indeed have mercy; I won't.

Let's end this.

I need to know this battlefield. I reach through the weave for a rough approximation of Farsight.

BWP20140505039.jpg

Oops. Okay, maybe Imoen should go out and scout. She casts Invisibility and begins her task.

She finds water and old, abandoned dwellings.

BWP20140505041.jpg

She also finds undead.

BWP20140505042.jpg

A smart one would just keep walking, but Imoen attacks!

Gameplay note: Actually one of my puppies stepped on the keyboard.

We hear her call out for help and all rush to her aid.

BWP20140505043.jpg

At this point in our lives, the undead do not cause us fear.

BWP20140505044.jpg

After this, we decide to patrol together, around the perimeter first.

We find the back of a creepy old church.

BWP20140505048.jpg

Some more random undead.

BWP20140505050.jpg

In fact this place seems to be cursed with them.

BWP20140505051.jpg

Further into the city we are even attacked by vampires!

BWP20140505054.jpg

Kivan is temporarily dominated, and Xan tries to put him down.

BWP20140505055.jpg

Finch shouts out "no!" and throws a Dispel Magic at Kivan instead. It washes over all of us, freeing Kagain as well, and we all continue fighting the vampire.

BWP20140505056.jpg

The vampires seem to have learned from their first encounter, because they Dominate Finch right away for the second!

BWP20140505057.jpg

Imoen throws out her Dispel this time, as we chunk the vamp.

BWP20140505058.jpg

Finch heals everyone, and we cautiously look around.

BWP20140505059.jpg

We are obviously not safe, so we buff up a bit before continuing our patrol of this undead city.

BWP20140505060.jpg

We soon come across others who seem to be doing the same thing.

BWP20140505061.jpg

rahvin.jpg You have a strong hatred of him then? He doesn't seem to be that skilled at making friends. I am Rahvin, in the employ of the Iron Throne. My companions and I have traveled from Sembia to learn what has been happening to our operations in Baldur's Gate. It seems that Sarevok has been quite busy, murdering Rieltar and any other who got in his way. What he's done to you is anyone's guess... Wait! I recognize you now. You're Syvishtar! Ahhh... so you've come down here to end your crusade against the Iron Throne. Well, it'll be simple enough to dispatch you before we do Sarevok. My superiors will be quite happy to learn of your demise.

Gameplay note: I don't remember these guys being here before...

I am about to cast a spell to end all of this before it starts, but it looks like the Iron Throne came prepared...

BWP20140505062.jpg

Everyone strikes Rahvin first - Flame of the Heavens, Lightning orb, magic missile, arrows - all fly to him.

BWP20140505069.jpg

Kivan lands the killing shaft.

BWP20140505070.jpg

Finch casts a Dispel to strip the protections away from a mage to walked right up to us. She gets the spell off, but a summoned Dire Bear kills her immediately after. Also, Xan takes out another mook.

BWP20140505071.jpg

Another mage in the back is casting something, so I throw some more magic missiles at her. She is interrupted. But I am chomped on by a bear!

BWP20140505072.jpg

Kivan charms the bear, but it is also Confused, as someone has cast Confusion on the party. It hasn't affected ALL of us.

BWP20140505073.jpg

The charmed, confused bear is still chomping on me, so I move away and try to reduce our enemies. I kill Wudei easily enough.

BWP20140505074.jpg

I also release Xan from his confusion.

BWP20140505075.jpg

All alone, Kagain takes out one of the big, beefy dudes.

BWP20140505076.jpg

I kill the bear attacking Xan...

BWP20140505077.jpg

And finally, Kivan's wyvern takes out the last mage, Shadrissa.

BWP20140505078.jpg

Only one casualty here. I hope things are better against Sarevok.

#1216 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

BWP20140505079.jpg

a3M0h.jpg Well, them custom officers here got sticky fingers. I was just thinking that a bargeload of goods might dock here and stay shy of 'em. But there's thieves up the stairs, and the river runs the wrong way for my trade, so it don't matter.

BRKVQ.jpg I see. And what has that to do with our mission here?

a3M0h.jpg Nothin'. I was just ruminating 'bout later on, is all.

I resurrect Finch.

BWP20140505080.jpg

She immediately begins to heal others in the party.

BWP20140505081.jpg

We take our bearings and scout around further. Sarevok has got to be here somewhere.

But we just find more wraiths and shadows.

BWP20140505083.jpg

We walk down the main path, this time. We see a figure ahead, whose form becomes clear. It is Tamoko, again.

BWP20140505103.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg There is always a choice. Do not throw your life away.

Tamoko.jpeg There may always be choice, but the choosing has become unbearable. I have but two duties, and both leave me little hope. No, young on, I must face you now.

BRKVQ.jpg I will not harm you. You are not my enemy.

Tamoko.jpeg You must! I stand before you, I block your path! I am an obstacle that holds you back! You will free... you will fight me!

BRKVQ.jpg If you would throw your life away, then you are already dead. If that is your choice, then you do not need me.

Tamoko.jpeg You would quote philosophy to one that has lived with its tenets and struggled with faith? I do not need your lectures; the sound is hollow before it leaves your lips. You do not have the strength of character to make your words ring true. Defend yourself, for there is no other way. Chaos shall be sown in their passage, in the land and the hearts and minds.

A forest of gleaming blades comes into existence around her. We try to give her a swift death.

BWP20140505105.jpg

It is with a heavy heart that I cast random missiles at her.

BWP20140505106.jpg

Finch's second flamestrike releases Tamoko from her constant torment.

BWP20140505107.jpg

Shes does not look happy for it, and I understand. Sarevok did this to her.

The flow of battle joins some random wraiths to it.

BWP20140505108.jpg

But soon everyone is dead again. Only we remain.

BWP20140505109.jpg

I'm not sure why, but I have a desire to thoroughly search this forgotten city and lay all of these restless souls down to sleep again.

BWP20140505110.jpg

It is a thankless chore, but not of any real danger to us.

BWP20140505111.jpg

The temple, we find, has a winged skull as its motif.

BWP20140505112.jpg

This is probably where Sarevok is holed up. This is probably a temple to Our Father. That sounds... natural. Our Dread Father.

My musings are interrupted by more vampires. I gives them bunnies. Vampires always like bunnies, yah?

BWP20140505114.jpg

The vampires are of no consequence.

A little further along, and we find vampires that talk.

BWP20140505115.jpg

What?

BRKVQ.jpg Whoever you are you better step aside and tell me what all this is about.

valen.jpg You are in no place to make demands. Enough smooth talk, we will have two brotherly Bhaal hearts to fetch here today. Come now sisters, let us take on this one before we hunt Sarevok down.

Is everybody in the entire Realms gunning for Sarevok?! What could he possibly have done to piss off vampires.

The vampires attack us, trying to take Finch and Kagain for their own.

BWP20140506001.jpg

They succeed with Kagain, but my Dispel brings him back immediately.

BWP20140506002.jpg

I summon my bunny horde, and another rabbit holocaust begins.

BWP20140506003.jpg

Kagain is taken over a second time, and Imoen uses her Dispel on him. It brings him back to us... again. Kivan summons a wyvern, and I summon a flame elemental.

BWP20140506004.jpg

Kivan gets up to 3 wyverns, and I summon another elemental.

BWP20140506005.jpg

Best to distract these vampires with as many targets as possible.

Kivan takes out the first Valen vampire, and we are down to only 3.

BWP20140506006.jpg

As Xan moves in on the second Valen, Kagain is mind-controlled yet again. He turns to fight some gnolls that apparently showed up?

BWP20140506007.jpg

Finch is turned, but we also take out a second Valen. We are down to 2 left!

BWP20140506008.jpg

I lead the Valen attacking me and Finch off to one side and cast Divine Wrath. It hits them both.

BWP20140506009.jpg

The other Valen is getting surrounded by summoned creatures.

BWP20140506010.jpg

The assembled army takes out the third Valen, and turns on Kagain.

BWP20140506011.jpg

But I order them to take out my Valen instead. They rush her.

Eventually I take her out with Chaos Blades.

BWP20140506012.jpg

Then there is only dealing with Kagain and Finch. We do it by running away.

BWP20140506013.jpg

I don't want them to die, but I can't control them, so I leave them the elementals. They kill the earth elemental with surprising ease.

BWP20140506014.jpg

And the fire elemental doesn't fare much better.

BWP20140506015.jpg

I try to Dispel their charms safely, from a distance.

BWP20140506016.jpg

BWP20140506017.jpg

BWP20140506018.jpg

Hey, a dizzy blind dwarf is almost the same as one who isn't Dire Charmed, right?

I turn Finch into a squirrel too.

BWP20140506019.jpg

Things are looking incrementally better!

ywD7r.jpg That was a noble deed.

Thanks Kivan!

I try one more time... and it works!

BWP20140506021.jpg

Finch is still a squirrel, though. But that's okay. We have time to rest.

#1217 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

BWP20140506022.jpg

And a squirrel, Finch. Don't forget that!

We rest, and Finch restores her own lost energy.

BWP20140506023.jpg

Then it's back into the undead city.

We find an old statue that looks kinda like Sarevok. Eerie.

BWP20140506024.jpg

We explore the rest of the ruined city, but we find no more undead.

BWP20140506025.jpg

In the end, we have nothing left to do but enter the old, long-forgotten temple.

BWP20140506026.jpg

Edited by Usurper, 05 May 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#1218 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

Ok guys, we are finally, finally here. Because this is the last battle, I will play and record every attempt at killing Sarevok. Reality will split into a thousand different leaves and who knows which one will be the True Leaf? First I will follow the Golden Company Ambush strategy. If that doesn't work, I will try the Solo Bhaalchild Smackdown strategy second. Then the third attempt will be the Golden Company Suicide Charge. I will keep cycling these three strategies until all of them work. Then we can have one final vote - of which attempt is the canon attempt. Hopefully this won't take weeks, heh.

#1219 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

BWP20140507001.jpg

13 Nightal, 1370a

As I approach the gate of the old temple, a new feeling flows over me. The Weave is there, but something else too. It reminds me of the times I heal my friends, and the times my Divine Wrath flows out of me. The two types of feelings are two types of energy, and they thrum together in my mind, beating against and with each other. I see reality crack and flake, and again I begin to see the great Tree of Life with its infinite branches and leaves splayed out before me. I follow not one path, but dozens, hundreds - an infinite number. There is no limit to the branches on this tree. I plunge down one; I step forward and open the old temple door.

After we enter, Xan addresses me.

BWP20140506004.jpg

jLQZ5.jpg *Xan leans in to kiss you, his fingers resting lightly behind your ears, and his lips barely touching yours.* You are with me, alive and well. That is all that matters to me now. And, perhaps, forever more.

I walk to the center of the room.

BWP20140506005.jpg

It looks like my dear brother has given me half of the room to work with. Well, lets get started.

BWP20140506006.jpg

I return to Shaundakul's Sanctuary, to the assembled Golden Company.

BWP20140506007.jpg

It's time to set ourselves up. I grab the first group - the room can only teleport 6 at a time - and get ready to get into position.

BWP20140506008.jpg

Then it is back to get the second load.

BWP20140506009.jpg

In just two trips, the back row is assembled.

BWP20140506010.jpg

Next, I pick up a load of clerics.

BWP20140506012.jpg

Gavin seems quite inspired by the temple, and this whole confrontation.

BWP20140506014.jpg

What was that flickering across Gavin's face just now? Was it doubt? Indecision? No matter. All will be decided soon.

I space the clerics out evenly in a second row.

BWP20140506015.jpg

But Gavin suddenly seems to have second thoughts. He doesn't seem to want to play along with the plan.

BWP20140506016.jpg

LxWCX.jpg You're actually asking me to wait here? Are you mad?

Gameplay note: Apparently the modder coded in a don't-leave-Gavin-in-a-shitty-dungeon-forever dialogue clause. I can't see any way to keep him here, even with cheat codes. There's no option for "just hold on this will all make sense in a moment." I'm going to have to let him go.

BRKVQ.jpg You'll make it, Gavin. Once you're out, go to the safe haven of your choice and I'll meet you there.

LxWCX.jpg If you say so... I'll make for the Elfsong, then. If I'm in luck, maybe Jolun will be in town.

A pity about Gavin. But we can do without him. A few more trips, and the entire Golden Company is assembled.

BWP20140506018.jpg

And so it begins. We cast our protections.

BWP20140506019.jpg

Then, I step boldly into the center of my dread Father's sigil. I dare Sarevok to come forth.

BWP20140506020.jpg

He does.

BWP20140506021.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg By what right do you claim ownership of this new era? What if I intend to take it from you?

Sarevok.jpeg You would seek to take my destiny? It is truly divine arrogance you display! You have not the skill or knowledge to steal this future! It was years in the making while you sat cloistered in a foolish library! Simple wars spill countless waves of blood and no godly wrath is raised. It is but my will that will shape the screams of the dying into the power I seek! You could no more assume my role, than I could back away from it! It is fitting though that you should try, and an ample testament to our bloodline. Face me! Face the new LORD OF MURDER! Angelo! Tazok! Reveal yourselves and let's finish this now!

Yes, let's finish this, dear brother.

A burst of magic from behind him almost blinds me to Sarevok's charge. I try to get some Chaos Blades going, but no dice.

BWP20140506022.jpg

Black Bear and Minsc teleport in behind Sarevok, their boots giving them the drop on him. They tear into his back with a jubilant cry and/or a frenzy.

BWP20140506023.jpg

Xan and Kagain join in the fray, and Sarevok attacks Xan first!

BWP20140506024.jpg

I shout some orders, most of them being "Xan, get away from there!" But it is too late. Sarevok cuts him down like wheat. And Semaj appears.

BWP20140506025.jpg

I remember that I have the Belt of Cognizance that changes me into a woman when Sarevok calls me sister.

BWP20140506026.jpg

Sarevok.jpeg Our dead father's strength suffuses these walls! Here I was to perform the rituals that would make me a god, and here I have already mastered power beyond your puny imaginings. What I began with Zhalimar and the others whom you struck down in Reiltar's mansion, I have now completed.

Sarevok.jpeg These four are my acolytes, the first of my worshippers. While we are within this place, their souls are bound to our father's taint within me. Their power suffuses me, protects me from all harm. It is but a taste of what I shall wield when I ascend, but for now it is more than sufficient to end this little family quarrel.

Sarevok.jpeg Goodbye, Syvishtar. I shall not allow your death to be swift.

Then Bjornin steps up. He casts Protection from Evil on Imoen. I have never been so grateful to a paladin before. Kivan calls in a wyvern. Tazok appears in front of Sarevok. I call in an elemental. Imoen casts Dispel magic on Semaj.

And Semaj... Semaj casts Chaos.

BWP20140506027.jpg

Kivan sees Tazok, and shouts.

BWP20140506028.jpg

Tazok.jpeg Heh. My small folk will have an elf-head to play with tonight!

ywD7r.jpg I will cast you into the Abyss where you belong!

Imoen's Dispel Magic reaches Semaj at the same time Kagain does with his Axe of Dispelling Fire. And also when Black Bear teleports in behind Semaj's back.

BWP20140506030.jpg

Finch is confused and is attacking Kagain.

BWP20140506031.jpg

Most of the Golden Company has not yet started to react, except for Firebead. He's busy casting up a storm.

BWP20140506032.jpg

We have to take out all of Sarevok's followers before we can damage him, so I focus on taking out the mage, Semaj, with some Random Missiles.

BWP20140506033.jpg

Kivan shoots Tazok down, and he falls. Sarevok notices, and taunts me about it.

BWP20140506036.jpg

Then in a column of flame, Tazok's corpse arises as a skeleton warrior!

BWP20140506034.jpg

Kagain completes his mission, and Semaj dies.

BWP20140506037.jpg

I realize that Finch is confused, and Dispel that off of her.

The rest of the Golden Company isn't attacking. Why aren't they attacking?

BWP20140506038.jpg

Semaj's body also rises as a skeleton warrior!

BWP20140506039.jpg

Finch retreats into the Golden Company's lines and drinks a healing potion. The skeleton warrior follows her.

#1220 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

Ok, it is time to officially vote. So let me know, Which ending do you want to go with? We have 5 choices, which I will detail below:

---------------------------------------------

Ending A: Ultimate betrayal. Syvishtar brought the entire Golden Company with him, but disregarded their own desires or opinions in a blatant bid to out-Sarevok Sarevok. Kajeesus summed it up perfectly:
The implications of that ending are amazing. Syvishtar basically acknowledged that they're just cannon fodder to him, left them all in a pocket dimension to chew on it, and then confronted Sarevok by saying he'd be a much better Lord of Murder.

They all feared it was coming. Firebead had told them to stay their hand, and they had listened. The man knew Gorion better than anyone, and still had faith that Syvishtar had been brought up right. Minsc was the first to see it, and Bjornin and Firebead were last. There was no convincing Xan or Imoen. Finch never saw it. Kagain saw only profit in staying in Syvishtar's good graces, and Kivan said that any Lord of Murder who laid the ground floor with Tazok was alright with him. Jaheira refused to betray Gorion's ward, and Gavin ended up getting cold feet at the eleventh hour. There were others who refused, but whether it was from loyalty or cowardice is hard to say.

They had all agreed to come slay the Bhaalspawn who had been embracing his father's essence and was threatening the entire Sword Coast, if not more, with death and destruction. Syvishtar is throwing fireballs at his allies again, more callously than ever before. He is facing his only known equal in the world, and there may never be another opportunity to do this. Whatever good there was in Syvishtar just wasn't enough to overcome his nature.

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sewn from their passage. So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
In this ending, Syvishtar realizes that the plebs will never understand what it means to be a Bhallspawn, and that he was wrong to so nakedly make a grab for power. He will still seek the power that his heritage gives him of course, embracing everything related to it with zeal. But he will attempt to hide it from his companions and the public at large. Because no matter how much you are tempted to, We can never trust Them.

.:Ending Stats:.

Ending Dead (22): Alora, Bjornin, Black Bear, Branwen, Conchobhair, Coran, Dynaheir, Edwin, Faldorn, Ferthgil, Indira, Jet'Laya, Keiria, Minsc, Mulgore, Skeezer Lumpkin IV, Squirrel, Thorfinn, Will Scarlet, Viconia, Xavia, Xzar

Trust Broken Forever (3): Firebead Elvenhair, Safana, Yeslick

Remaining Friends (14): Bub Snikt, Finch, Garrick, Gavin, Imoen, Jaheira, Kagain, Khalid, Kivan, Lady Seafoam Wonderbounce, Mur'Neth, Quayle, Rose, Xan

Ending B: Unleashing the Wild Horde. Syvishtar ditched everyone and went in alone, trusting the Weave to watch his back. And the Weave did, with all its wild will it did. Syvishtar hadn't seen so much overt support since that dual in the depths of the ruined Ulcaster School so long ago. He overflowed with magical power, the Wild Will of the Weave refreshing his spells two times. He learned that he is a strong, independent mage that don't need no meatshields. He got back in touch with his wild mage; he got his lagomorph groove back.

If this ending is chosen, Syvishtar will take a fundamentalist approach to wild magic, going back to the older days when he led the encounter with spells and listened closely for the will of the Weave. For the past few months he's been taking a support role, letting his companions shine. But it is the Will of the Weave to let him unleash furry, fiery bunny doom upon all that stand in his way, and so he will endeavor to do that as much as possible. He may even start to go solo on missions more often, to test his own magical mettle against the world without companions, and to better let his bunnies shine. And explode.

Ending Dead (0): Everybody lives, Imoen! Just this once, everybody lives!

Trust Broken Forever ( 8): Jaheira, Khalid, Mur'Neth, Rose, Bub Snikt, Quayle, Garrick, Gavin.

Remaining Friends (31): Minsc, Squirrel, Edwin, Alora, Viconia, Black Bear, Jet'Laya, Dynaheir, Coran, Branwen, Indira, Keiria, Mulgore, Xavia, Ferthgil, Will Scarlet, Bjornin, Xzar, Skeezer Lumpkin IV, Thorfinn, Conchobhair, Faldorn, Yeslick, Firebead Elvenhair, Safana, Kagain, Xan, Kivan, Imoen, Finch, Lady Seafoam Wonderbounce

Ending C: Day of the demons. Syvishtar ditched everyone and called forth a ton of demons, sometimes two at a time, and they tore apart everyone and everything opposed to him. He needed no one else save demons to fix all his problems permanently.

If this ending is chosen, Syvishtar will realize that true power comes from Hell. Demons are the answer. People are weak. He must learn more about his heritage and the demons that he can summon. Because people are weak. This is the darkest timeline.

Ending Dead (1): Syvishtar's moral compass.

Trust Broken Forever (1): Mortal-kind.

Remaining Friends (infinite): An infinite number of demons remain in the Abyss for Syvishtar to call at any time of the day or night.

Ending D: Golden sacrifice. Syvishtar decided to sit back and let his companions do the fighting, 5 at a time, until someone finally brought down this annoying Sarevok. He took a very back seat to the fight, only interfering when things became what he considered to be 'unfair.' 4 groups of his friends and compatriots were slaughtered by the bad guys, and he just left their corpses on the cold stone floor and went for more.

If this ending is chosen, Syvishtar will believe Sarevok Did Nothing Wrong, except, perhaps, not having enough people to die for him. Syvishtar will take even more of a back seat to fighting than he has before, only interfering when his minions companions look to be in trouble, or are dead. He will also take less popular minions on more dangerous missions. And he may just leave unworthy followers to rot in a dungeon somewhere if they fail him for the last time.

Ending Dead (20): Faldorn, Xavia, Mulgore, Conchobhair, Thorfinn, Gavin, Xzar, Bjornin, Will, Ferthgil, Safana, Keiria, Skeezer Lumpkin IV, Indira, Coran, Branwen, Dynaheir, Minsc, Jet'laya, and Black Bear

Trust Broken Forever (7): Jaheira, Khalid, Mur'Neth, Rose, Bub Snikt, Quayle, Garrick

Remaining Friends (12): Yeslick, Viconia, Edwin, Firebead, Alora, Kagain, Imoen, Finch, Kivan, Squirrel, Lady Seafoam Wonderbounce, and Xan

Ending E: Golden Company assault. Syvishtar brought everyone who would come with him to Sarevok's deserted temple. He realized one important thing about life - people will follow you better if there's something in it for them. Syvishtar paid everyone generous sums of treasure to fight for him in this final battle, and succeeded in locking down a completely loyal army of 31 heroes totally dedicated to the destruction of his brother. When Sarevok rushed them,the Golden Company rushed back, and kept him in check long enough for Syvishtar's group to eliminate Sarevok's minions. Then, in a coordinated strike, they blew Sarevok to ash in a moment. Casualties were high, but evil was dead.

If this endin is chosen, Syvishtar learns something about being a true leader of heroes. He will pay more attention to the Relationship mod, and also take better care of his followers. He may even seek political office or a position of responsibility, perhaps a castle of his own to manage as a lord of the land. And hey, he might end up being pretty good at it.

Ending Dead (10): Indira, Thorfinn Hausklinuff, Bjornin, Will Scarlet O'Hara, Mulgore, Xavia, Conchobhair Strongblade, Faldorn, Alora, Viconia

Trust Broken Forever (0): Everything is awesome! Everything is cool when you're part of a team!

Remaining Friends (29): Safana, Coran, Xzar, Ferthgil Trollslayer, Dynaheir, Black Bear, Jet'laya, Minsc, Firebead Elvenhair, Edwin, Squirrel, Skeezer Lumpkin IV, Kagain, Finch, Kivan, Xan, Imoen, Keiria Silverstring, Yeslick, Branwen, Jaheira, Khalid, Mur'Neth, Rose, Bub Snikt, Quayle, Garrick, Gavin, Lady Seafoam Wonderbounce

Edited by Usurper, 26 May 2014 - 10:28 AM.