Photo

Syvishtar's Journal

• Please log in to reply
1504 replies to this topic

#1341 -Serial K-

-Serial K-

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

By the way, are Baal and Tempus related by blood perchance?

#1342 -Serial K-

-Serial K-

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

It reminds me that some Hindus believe that all gods are ultimately same being (and that being is also nothing). Which reminds me the words of Shaella.

SHAELLA: It is Shaella, Most High Middling Priestess of the Mistshadow, who is here before you, speaking through the mists of Leira.

SYV: Leira? Who's that?

SHAELLA: Leira, Lady of Mists, Mother of All Illusion, the Guardian of Deception, the Mistshadow. Some say she died in the Time of Troubles, killed by Cyric, betrayed by Mask. Some say she loved Mask and loves him still. Some say gods can die. Some say gods can be born. Some say gods can live. Some say gods are an illusion we create for our own contentment. Some say gods are an illusion we create to disguise our fear of living, our fear of dying, our fear of being. If gods are a disguise, if gods are an illusion, then perhaps Leira is the only beacon of truth in our entire pantheon of lies. But if gods are real and true and all-knowing, then Leira cannot be a god and must be dead if indeed she ever lived at all.

SYV: But how can you worship what you cannot know?

SHAELLA: More or less precisely my point.

SYV: But I don't understand.

SHAELLA: Ah, then you are truly one of us, you are truly with Shaella in the Mists of Leira. May Shaella grace you with a quest from the Lady?

SYV: I'm not sure.

SHAELLA: Ah, indeed.

#1343 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:09 AM

BWP20140927001.jpg

11 Mirtul, 1281

I finally know what year it is - 1281. And I finally know what time it is - time to kick some undead ass. I wonder, do the clerics have any anti-undead spells? I talk it over with them, and turns out they do! Their level 1 spell Magical Stone does extra damage to undead.

BWP20140927002.jpg

Magical-Stone.jpg

Of course, Branwen also has her False Dawn ability that she got from Tempus.

False-Dawn.jpg

They also both have a level 3 spell called Moonblade, which is a sword made out of moonlight that does double damage to undead.

Moonblade.jpg

I hope it doesn't come to melee, but if it does, we'll be ready for it.

We move away from the warm embrace of the Great Tree, and back into the coldness east of here. It chills my bones.

BWP20140927003.jpg

But this way turns out to be, uh, a dead end?

BWP20140927004.jpg

Let's try a bridge that works, eh Hrothgar? Guy in front?

When we find a bridge that works, we also find a scared townsperson running across it.

BWP20140927005.jpg

Yetis? Here?! Well, I guess, where else would they be. It is the frozen northland.

We let him run across the bridge, and then intercept the yetis. One of them hits Imoen, because Imoen is trying to stab them with her dagger?

BWP20140927006.jpg

Imoen retreats and switches to her bow, but the yeti pursues. She has to run around screaming until the melee fighters dispatch the first one, and then move on to saving her.

BWP20140927007.jpg

Hrothgar obliterates it.

BWP20140927008.jpg

We find a bridge that hasn't fallen into the gorge below, and take it to the Vale ...

BWP20140927009.jpg

... of Shadows. Oooohhh!

The Vale is aptly named, as it is in darkness and we are immediately set upon by shadow fiends.

BWP20140927010.jpg

They scream at us. You'd think the spiritual guys would be able to handle it, but no. Hrothgar and Dar begin to panic.

BWP20140927011.jpg

Only Imoen and I keep our heads. I try to create some of Melf's Minute Meteors. One of the shadows rushes up to Imoen, so she switches to her dagger.

BWP20140927013.jpg

In perfect unison, Imoen and I both pop Mirror Images, and become mirrors of both ourselves and each other. I'm so proud of her, ya know?

BWP20140927014.jpg

She's learned so well!

My Minute Meteors hit successfully, and one shadow falls. Or... dissipates. Is banished?

BWP20140927015.jpg

Hrothgar suddenly decides to stop being scared, and chops the other one to bits.

BWP20140927016.jpg

Shortly after the women decide to stop running around like idiots too, and we see another span of a bridge in front of us.

BWP20140927017.jpg

More shadows are probably going to scare us, but nobody has Remove Fear memorized, and I don't think we can spare the 8 hours of rest that it will take to memorize it. But we'll be okay.

Probably.

A poison mist assails us!

BWP20140927018.jpg

Hrothgar is hit by something... looks bad.

BWP20140927019.jpg

Before we kill the other mist, he is hit by another spell. He seems to lose all will to go on. Not only him, but Accalia and Dar too!

BWP20140927020.jpg

Another misty form moves in to attack, so I respond with some of the Weave.

BWP20140927021.jpg

The poison that Hrothgar was afflicted with looks to be quickly killing him, so I try to use my limited healing abilities on him.

BWP20140927022.jpg

Imoen Magic Missiles the poison mist that was hitting Hrothgar and it... dissipates?

BWP20140927023.jpg

The wandering horror is all that is left, but it scares everyone else besides me. Why must people be so wussy?

BWP20140927024.jpg

It casts Chaos on everyone! Whoa! This is no low-level spirit! I respond with chaos blades. Fitting

BWP20140927025.jpg

It hits Hrothgar a few more times, quickly draining his life. But a few more Chaos Blades kill it.

Not that it matters, because Imoen's crazed wanderings have brought in another wandering horror and a crimson death as well.

BWP20140927026.jpg

I'm out of offensive magic, so I try to summon an elemental. Hrothgar's hopeless form doesn't even react to being hit to death. He falls to the ground, lifeless.

BWP20140927027.jpg

The elemental struggles under my mental commands, and I am locked into mental combat with it. Thankfully, Accalia, Dar, and Shar-Teel decide to shake off their hopelessness, fear, and/or mental chaos, and rejoin the fight.

BWP20140927028.jpg

Dar takes out the crimson death, and the entire party closes in on the final wandering horror that is attacking Imoen.

BWP20140927030.jpg

I order Dar to heal Imoen, but as he approaches he is scared by the wandering horror, and begins again to run!

BWP20140927031.jpg

Desperately, I yell at Accalia to do it. I think I called her Branwen, though, in my haste, and she might have been confused. She is too late. Imoen dies.

BWP20140927032.jpg

Accalia enters into melee combat with the horror, but it does something to her.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1344 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:09 AM

She stops attacking.

BWP20140927033.jpg

I'm almost out of magic, so I cast Haste on everyone and hope for the best. Accalia gets over her mental problems then, too.

BWP20140927034.jpg

Accalia summons a Moonblade to give her an edge, but the wandering horror counters with a Chaos. Great.

BWP20140927035.jpg

Where the hell is Dar? Where's my elemental? I look around and find them far down the path, breaking out of their fear but also being useless. COME ON GUYS!

BWP20140927036.jpg

I call them back, and the elemental with Accalia's Moonblade is a deadly combination against the wandering horror.

BWP20140927037.jpg

Dar raises Hrothgar from the dead, and we pick up Imoen's stuff.

BWP20140927038.jpg

Then we travel back to Kuldahar to rest and recuperate, and to prepare new spells.

BWP20140927039.jpg

Gameplay note: Some of the spells I was looking for had their names changed, so I just skipped over them before. Remove Fear had been changed Resist Fear. Chaotic Commands has been changed, maybe, to Impregnable Mind.

BWP20140927040.jpg

A few Undead Wards and Resist Fear prayers later, plus lots of rest, and we're ready to head back. And this time, we make it to the entrance of what looks to be a scary cave.

BWP20140927042.jpg

We should probably prepare ourselves for a fight.

BWP20140927046.jpg

This time, Imoen and I summon elementals BEFORE battle starts.

Hrothgar goes around casting Protection from Evil on everyone.

BWP20140927047.jpg

As soon as we are all buffed up, some vampiric mists attack us.

BWP20140927048.jpg

The battle gets a little out of hand when one fleeing vampiric mist leads us into a pack of tundra yeti.

BWP20140927050.jpg

Shar-Teel tries to solo them, and gets stomped.

BWP20140927051.jpg

A couple heals later, Accalia manages to take out one of them.

BWP20140927052.jpg

And then the other goes down as well.

BWP20140927053.jpg

They all drop pelts.

BWP20140927054.jpg

Dar resurrects Shar-Teel and she responds by calling him a "useless male dungheap." I don't really think that's fair, Shar-Teel. But she's not done. She also turns on Imoen.

BWP20140927055.jpg

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Let go of me, Shar-Teel!

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg Not until you tell me why you're sneaking about here when everyone else is sleeping?

Imoen-bg2.jpeg (*She snarls*) It's none of your business, so just let go of me!

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg Look here you snotty nosed tyke, when I see some one rifling through my stuff then it becomes my business! I'll not ask again, so unless you want those thieving hands of yours to hit the ground, what are you doing?

Imoen-bg2.jpeg (*Looking surprised*) Your stuff? What in the nine hells do you think I would want with your stuff? I wouldn't touch "your stuff" with a ten foot pole. Here, look for yourself...

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg Bah... all these bags look the same. Hey, just a minute, isn't that the paladin's bag you've got there?

Imoen-bg2.jpeg (*Snatching it back from her gaze*) Yea, why, you wanna make something of it?

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg (*Scoffs*) Why you little snotling! You think you've got what it takes?

Imoen-bg2.jpeg (*Drawing her sword*) You don't scare me... maybe it's time you got to see your own blood bleeding out!

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg (*Seeing the resolution on Imoen's face she bursts out laughing*) Oh grow up you pathetic little girl... you seriously think I'd take on a kid with only a 'dirk' to play with!

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg You're out of your league kiddo... go back to your rifling, and don't worry, I'll not tell the paladin about your little midnight foray... I despise his kind more than you!

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg (*She grabs her own bag and shaking her head she turns back to her bed, mumbling as she goes*)... Insolent little guttersnipe... she actually thinks she could best me... pathetic!

Imoen-bg2.jpeg What was it Gorion said... something about "the bigger they are the harder they fall"?

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Well, judging by the size of that one's head, she's in for one hell of a fall one day. (*She starts to giggle*)

Imoen-bg2.jpeg I only hope I'm around to see it.. (*Then thoughtfully*)... Mmm I wonder what she's got hiding in her bag that's got her knickers all in a twist... later maybe...

Imoen-bg2.jpeg (*She turns her attention back to the bag in her hand*) Now, what do we have in here... surely he must have some keepsake bestowed upon him by a lady love. I can't believe he's got as old as he has and not fallen under the spell of some beautiful woman. He has the word tragedy written all over his face.

I'm feeling a little lethargic, myself. A little... drained.

BWP20140927056.jpg

Must have been one of those vampiric mists. I tell Accalia, and she says she'll have something for me after we rest. I say thanks, but we should continue on for now.

Since we're halfway across the gorge from that scary cave entrance, I decide that we should scout out the area before we go in anywhere. So we try to follow back the path of the yeti.

We find more crimson death and poison mist.

BWP20140927057.jpg

One of them tries to stop Hrothgar in his tracks, but gets Dar instead.

BWP20140927058.jpg

We fight through them and find a second scary cave entrance.

BWP20140927059.jpg

More mists debilitate pretty much the entire party.

BWP20140927060.jpg

I remember that I have a Dispel Magic in my spellbook, and wipe everything clean.

BWP20140927061.jpg

Then I'm chased around in a humiliating fashion by a mist, as others try to take care of what they fight further north.

BWP20140927062.jpg

The mist horror following me changes to a Held Imoen, and casts Chaos on most of the party, including me!

BWP20140927063.jpg

Sveteeshelnr, we anmeag to kill the baddise bfeoer hte abddies kill su.

BWP20140927064.jpg

Now there's two drained party members. Accalia says she's still got us covered, no worries. I hope so.

We are getting tired of this mess, so the next vampiric mist we see, we let everything out.

BWP20140927065.jpg

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1345 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:10 AM

Then Accalia and Dar summon their moonblades and start chopping up mists posthaste.

BWP20140927066.jpg

At the end of the fight we are held, drained, diseased, and generally grumpy.

BWP20140927067.jpg

We try to make camp in the area, but are ambushed by yetis!

BWP20140927068.jpg

We try to just run out of there, but Hrothgar can't run. He's too sick.

BWP20140927069.jpg

We turn around to try to save him, but even with positioning and tactics, he still dies.

BWP20140927070.jpg

Screw it, we're getting out of here.

Dar picks up Hrothgar's stuff, and we start running away from yeti-based destruction.

BWP20140927071.jpg

To cover our retreat, I summon a wild horde at a chokepoint.

BWP20140927072.jpg

But the yeti go medieval on the rabbits before I can even get away!

BWP20140927073.jpg

Tired, magic-depleted, and dispirited by our slow, drawn-out defeat, we decide we need to rest for a while. We make our way to the only thing that passes for respite in this town - the Root Cellar Tavern.

BWP20140927074.jpg

#1346 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:13 AM

BWP20141010001.jpg

13 Mirtul, 1281

I hope we can find rest here. I hope they don't ask me to kill beetles in the basement.

BWP20141010002.jpg

We go in, weary and apprehensive.

BWP20141010004.jpg

Seriously lady, I am NOT in the mood. I head straight for the barkeeper.

BWP20141010005.jpg

whitcomb.jpg A room? Sorry, but I can't help you, friend. Try the Evening Shade, 'cross town. The innkeeper's bound to have some rooms to let, and desperate to let them, too, since the passes aren't going to see any caravans for a while.

BRKVQ.jpg I'll go to the Evening Shade, then. Thank you.

A bar without any rooms? What the shiz? Okay, Evening Shade, Evening Shade, Evening Shade... oh wow, right under the tree's trunk!

BWP20141010006.jpg

BWP20141010007.jpg

We go inside. It is quite inviting.

BWP20141010008.jpg

aldwin.jpg Yeah, we got a little space left - but I don't want to hear any haggling over the prices, you hear? This is the only inn in town, so don't even be thinking you'll find a better deal anywhere else.sss

BRKVQ.jpg Very well, then. Let's see what rooms you have.

Eh, they're acceptable. Nothing fancy.

BWP20141010009.jpg

We fall into the beds nevertheless, and sleep the exhausted sleep of the truly drained.

Injbg.jpg

In the morning, Dar asks me something.

BWP20141010028.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg Do I Dar? I was reflecting on the weariness of the road we tread, and how life was so much simpler in Candlekeep.

Dar.jpeg I know how you feel, Syvishtar. My life was also simpler when I was living among the priests of Ilmater. I felt safe there, but I think we all have to find our own way sometime.

BRKVQ.jpg What you say is likely to be true, Dar, but I cannot help wishing that I had been given more time to prepare for such a harsh road. When Gorion left so hurriedly, he left so many questions unanswered. Answers that I am still looking for.

Dar.jpeg I'm sure that in time, Syvishtar, all of your questions will be answered. Have patience, my friend.

Then, he moves on to raising Hrothgar from the dead.

BWP20141010010.jpg

Branwen goes about restoring us with her magics. But for some reason, she cannot do it to herself.

BWP20141010012.jpg

Dar says he can take care of things with a little more rest, so we stay here a bit longer.

While we are here, I strike up a conversation with the Innkeeper.

BWP20141010013.jpg

aldwin.jpg I'm Aldwin, and maybe having your head way up there don't make you hear so good -- do you want a *room* or not? My inn's the only inn in town, so don't even be thinking you'll find a better deal anywhere else.

BRKVQ.jpg So this is your inn?

aldwin.jpg Yeah... why? Somebody in town saying different?

BRKVQ.jpg No, just curious.

#1347 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:13 AM

Imoen of course seems to wander off at the most innocuous times.

BWP20141010014.jpg

BWP20141010016.jpg

BWP20141010015.jpg

BWP20141010017.jpg

Imoen comes back down with a frown on her face. She asks me if we met anybody named Eidan yet. I say no, and ask her why she would ask such a thing. She just shrugs. Sometimes this girl is maddeningly secretive.

This town is so peaceful and full of singing birds. When we leave the Inn I don't want to leave the town. We decide to walk around a bit, take in the sights, meet the people, visit the ... Potter?

BWP20141010019.jpg

BWP20141010020.jpg

urnst.jpg Question? What k-kind of questions?

BRKVQ.jpg Who are you?

urnst.jpg I am Urnst, the p-p-potter... at least I used t-to be. Now I just want to g-get out of this place alive. But with all the t-terrible things happening in town, I'm too scared to step outside m-my shop.

BRKVQ.jpg Your shop? What do you sell?

urnst.jpg Th-this shop is my home. I used to make pottery here, b-but there doesn't seem to be much point anymore. I've closed shop and packed up m-my things. As soon as the p-pass is clear, I'm heading south to Baldur's G-gate. I hear it's nice there.

Was Baldur's Gate nice 100-odd years ago? I suppose so. No Sarevok now. Then. Whatever.

BRKVQ.jpg What can you tell us about the disturbances in the pass?

urnst.jpg Dis-disturbances? Yes. People disappearing, m-monsters everywhere... even the weather has t-turned against us. Nobody knows why... not even Arundel.

BRKVQ.jpg Well, best of luck to you. Farewell.

Another nice-looking dwelling nearby is locked.

BWP20141010021.jpg

Oh well. We move on to another, rather ornate door.

BWP20141010023.jpg

brother-ferg.jpg Of course. What services in particular do you seek?

BRKVQ.jpg I'm looking to purchase weapons and equipment.

BRKVQ.jpg What weapons we have in Kuldahar are forged by Conlan the Blacksmith. His smithy can be found on the northern edge of town. As for general supplies, our local amateur scholar, Gerth, has a shop across town, near the western bridge.

BRKVQ.jpg Thank you. Farewell.

Where is that Imoen run off to?

BWP20141010025.jpg

We enter the large door. Temple to Ilmater I guess?

BWP20141010026.jpg

brother-gus.jpg Yes, on numerous occasions. It is not really much of a coincidence... considering that we are twins.

BRKVQ.jpg Really? I just figured all you priests of Ilmater looked alike.

brother-gus.jpg Yes... well, is there some way I may be of assistance to you, friend?

BRKVQ.jpg I am in need of a healer. Could you help me?

brother-gus.jpg Ah... blessed are those in need. You've come to the right place, friend. Revered Sister Calliana can tend to your wounds and provide what few curatives we have left in our humble temple. You may find her at prayer upon the altar.

BRKVQ.jpg What few curatives you have left? Don't tell me you're running out?

brother-gus.jpg I'm afraid so. The good people of Kuldahar have suffered greatly of late. In sharing their burdens, we have nearly exhausted our supply of potions and antidotes. Though I hear tell that one might find such items elsewhere in town.

BRKVQ.jpg Really? Where?

brother-gus.jpg The gnome, Oswald Fiddlebender, is known to dabble in alchemy. He lives in that... contraption on the ridge above his temple. It is also rumored that Orrick the mage possessed certain arcane items. He's a bit of a recluse, though. He lies in a small tower on the far side of town, to the west.

BRKVQ.jpg Thank you for the information. Farewell.

Then I go talk to the other person in this temple.

BWP20141010027.jpg

sister-calliana.jpg You have been informed correctly. As acting head of this temple, it is my privilege to bestow whatever aid I can upon those in need -- no small task I might add, what with all the troubles that plague this town of late.

BRKVQ.jpg Acting head of this temple? Who is normally in charge?

sister-calliana.jpg Up until a few weeks ago, Reverend Mother Egenia presided over this house. Alas, she, like so many others in tow, has gone missing and is presumed dead. Being the next-highest-ranking member of the clergy, I have assumed the duties of the head of this temple until either she or Reverend Brother Poquelin returns.

BRKVQ.jpg You mean to tell me your head priest was abducted?

sister-calliana.jpg Perhaps. We're not quite sure. She grew tired of standing by while the people around us were being snatched up in the night. So she decided to hold a midnight vigil on the outskirts of town in hopes that she too might share in the suffering of those taken. That was the last we saw of her. Her fate remains a mystery.

BRKVQ.jpg You mentioned a Revered Brother Poquelin? Who is he?

sister-calliana.jpg Revered Brother Poquelin is a visiting senior priest of Ilmater. He passed through Kuldahar several days ago on a pilgrimage to the Monastery of the Weeping Lilac in Bryn Shander. He traveled quite a ways, all the way from... from Cormyr, I believe is what he said. He must be from those distant regions, for he bore a holy symbol of Ilmater that was unfamiliar to me. In any case, he promised to return with aid once he reached Bryn Shander. I hope he is all right.

BRKVQ.jpg Fascinating. Now about that healing... what aid can you offer?

Turns out its the normal things that you'd expect from a temple. The most disturbing thing here is that the real high priest is gone! What am I supposed to do that a high priest of Ilmater can't take care of? We all know that we fell in that cave, and suddenly woke up NOT dead and with Dar tending our wounds. He must have taken everyone out himself! What is this other high priest doing?

#1348 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

BWP20141101232058.jpg

14 Mirtul, 1281

Above the entrance to the temple, I see what might be a ship. I have to check this out.

BWP20141101232026.jpg

Yep, its definitely the front half of a ship, combined with... a windmill? And there's an opening in the hull!

BWP20141101232444.jpg

oswald_fiddlebender.jpg Why, this ship is my home. At least it has been since I crashed here over a year ago. I know, I know... she's not much to look at, but some day I'll have her back in one piece and in the air once more.

BRKVQ.jpg In the air? You mean this contraption can actually fly?

oswald_fiddlebender.jpg Of course it can... or at least it could once. You should have seen it. It was amazing! It was like sailing on a sea of clouds. She is my greatest invention yet, you know.

BRKVQ.jpg A flying boat, eh? That *is* truly amazing.

oswald_fiddlebender.jpg I'm glad you think so. I call it an *air* *ship*. Isn't that wonderful? Airship... as in it is a ship that floats upon the air. Get it? It's really quite clever when you think about it.

BRKVQ.jpg Yes, clever. Why would you build such a strange device?

oswald_fiddlebender.jpg The passes through the Spine of the World are fraught with many dangers. The caravans that travel between the southlands and the Ten-Towns must brave not only the treacherous terrain, but all the nasty creatures that inhabit it as well. I simply sought to find an alternative route through the mountains -- or, in this case, over them.

This is brilliant! This little gnome could get me back down south soon!

BRKVQ.jpg So how did you end up in Kuldahar?

oswald_fiddlebender.jpg Yes... well, that's a rather embarrassing story. You see, when I attempted the crossing on the Airship's maiden voyage, I was the only one onboard. I had a bit of... ahem... trouble convincing anyone in Bryn Shander to crew with me.

BRKVQ.jpg Go on. I'm listening.

oswald_fiddlebender.jpg Anyhow, I managed to get the ship airborne and was making excellent progress over the mountains. It really was a magnificent view! The billowing clouds, the snow-capped peaks that shimmered like diamonds in the sunlight... I guess I was so enamored by the beauty of it all that I didn't notice that outcropping of rock until it was too late.

BRKVQ.jpg You hit the mountain? What happened next?

oswald_fiddlebender.jpg Well, the collision ripped the bottom of the ship wide open. The steering mechanism was badly damaged and the ship began to lose altitude. I tried desperately to keep i aloft, but down we came, falling from the sky like a stone. It is by sheer luck that I crashed here in the town of Kuldahar.

BRKVQ.jpg Lucky indeed. Tell me, what is it you do here?

oswald_fiddlebender.jpg I am an inventor, of sorts. I make things. Things that are meant to improve the lives of others. Like this ship, for instance. I also dabble in alchemy. Would you care to sample some of the potions I have concocted?

BRKVQ.jpg Sure. What sort of potion do you have?

oswald_fiddlebender.jpg I have all kinds. Currently, I am working on a special brew for the farmers of Kuldahar, something that will help protect their livestock from the bitter cold front that seems to have settled upon the valley. Several farmers were kind enough to donate some cows to serve as test subjects for my experiments.

BRKVQ.jpg You're feeding experimental potions to these cows? Don't you think that is kind of cruel?

oswald_fiddlebender.jpg Nonsense. I would never hurt these animals. In fact, I've come to think of them as my friends. Besides, without my help, they would all freeze to death.

BRKVQ.jpg I see. Do you have any potions that we might find useful?

oswald_fiddlebender.jpg Most certainly. I'd be more than happy to supply you with whatever potions you might need... at a fair price, of course.

He's got a ton of potions of all types, a lot of history books, and, tucked into the corner, I see a Tome of Clear Thought!

BWP20141101233732.jpg

It's 14,000 gold, though. He knows how valuable it is.

Also for sale is a Rod of Smiting!

Rod-of-Smiting-+4.jpg

It's 21,000 gold, though. Maybe Imoen can help? I ask her, she says to buy a Potion of Master Thievery first and she'll try it.

BWP20141102005036.jpg

That's almost all of our gold! She isn't going to get any better at being a thief, and we probably aren't ever going to get 35,000 gold before we leave Kuldahar, soooo lets do it.

I hope he doesn't hate us forever.

Gameplay Note: Imoen's Pick Pockets is 25.

BWP20141102005221.jpg

Gameplay Note: With a Potion of Master Thievery, it gets boosted to 45.

BWP20141102005336.jpg

Gameplay Note: Is it enough to steal from Oswald Fiddlebender? In this no-reload semi-ironman run? Let's see.

Before she tries this, I use a spell on her that I don't think I've ever cast before - Paithan's Lucky Streak.

BWP20141102005610.jpg

Now she pretty much has the best chance she'll ever get to pull this off.

BWP20141102005701.jpg

I worry about Imoen as she strolls nonchalantly up to Oswald.

BWP20141102005911.jpg

But she doesn't seem to be able to get ahold of anything.

#1349 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

Gameplay Note: Stealing doesn't work, even after 6 attempts, but there's no reaction from Oswald either. I can't even steal a light healing potion. Oh well.

Somewhat disappointed, we leave and decide to visit the blacksmith. Maybe he'll be easier to steal from.

BWP20141102010612.jpg

He seems to be a pretty straightforward guy.

BWP20141102010634.jpg

conlan.jpg Aye, I'm Conlan. If yer needin' a sharp blade or stout mace, I'm the man to see. Best take advantage while I'm still here.

BRKVQ.jpg 'While you're still here?' Are you going somewhere?

conlan.jpg Aye, I suppose so. With all the skullduggery that's been goin' on around here, I imagine I'll not be around much longer.

BRKVQ.jpg You're leaving Kuldahar? That doesn't surprise me... this town IS rather dull. Perhaps I could accompany you?

conlan.jpg Ha! I wish that were possible. The southern pass has long since been snowed in by this damnable weather we've been having lately. Now I hear tell that even the northern route to the Ten-Towns has been blocked by an avalanche. Mark my words: none of us will last through this winter. We're all done for.

BRKVQ.jpg I have no intention of dying here. Why is it that you are so ready to line your own grave?

conlan.jpg Humph. Not much for me to live for, really. My Mary passed a few years ago from the fever. And now... now my son's gone missin', snatched out of his bed in the middle of the night -- right out from under my nose! He was just a boy!

Hrothgar.jpeg Do not fret good smithy, we will find your son and all the other missing townsfolk. They will be returned and the perpetrators will pay dearly for their transgressions against this town, you have the word of Hrothgar on this.

conlan.jpg My son just vanished, I tell you. Gone without a trace. Even ol' Arundel couldn't find a trail, and he's got a nose for such things. I imagine whatever took him will come back for me next. I can't say it'll be unwelcome.

BRKVQ.jpg I've spoken with Arundel. He believes the source of the disturbances may lie within the Vale of Shadows.

conlan.jpg The Vale of Shadows, eh? That doesn't surprise me. That place reeks of evil. Most folks in down avoid it like the plague. Those that wander off in that direction are never heard from again.

He has a lot of mundane weapons and armor. He's also got some Arrows of Silence, a potion bag, a green ammo belt, and a silver ioun stone.

Imoen can't seem to steal from him either. But she does find something in the back room...

BWP20141102011651.jpg

I take a look at the hammer and see that it is Conlan's own.

Conlans-Hammer.jpg

I hand it to Branwen... um, Accalia. She hefts it appreciatively.

Next stop in our impromptu tour of the town is Gerthe's Equipment Shoppe.

BWP20141102012031.jpg

BWP20141102012113.jpg

gerthe.jpg This is my shop, my friend -- I supply caravans in the shade of this great oak. This shop was my father's, and my father's before 'im, and it dates almost three generations back, if you can believe it - like many of the places in Kuldahar and the surrounding lands, there is much history to be found if one digs deep enough.

BRKVQ.jpg Are you a historian?

gerthe.jpg Nay, I wouldn't go so far as to say that: I dabble in time's passage, perhaps, but it is not a full-time occupation, merely a hobby. I do enjoy learning more of the past and examining trinkets from around the area; I have quite a collection, a little museum of sorts. Some call it junk, but...

BRKVQ.jpg What sorts of things do you collect?

gerthe.jpg Keys, notes, books on the region - if you happen to come across any on your travels, I'll pay a fair sum for them to take them off your hands.

BRKVQ.jpg If I come across keys, books, or documents that I may need later, can I purchase them back?

gerthe.jpg Of course! I purchase such things only for my own interest and to preserve the history and culture of the region... they do not end up on a rattling caravan to some Calimshan market, that's for certain.

Turns out that he has quite a collection of +2 and +3 magical weapons, shields, and armor. He's also got a ton of books, a cage of squirrels, and a cage of exotic birds!

The cage of squirrels is only 30 gold, so I buy them immediately.

BWP20141102012723.jpg

Gameplay note: This item doesn't do anything. It's just there.

My little buddies! I'll keep them forever!

I'm still playing with them when we arrive at the wizard's tower.

BWP20141102012908.jpg

We go in to find... a goblin!

BWP20141102012951.jpg

weenog.jpg Me Weenog. Who you?

BRKVQ.jpg I am Syvishtar. I seek the mage called Orrick. I was told this was his tower.

weenog.jpg Yes. This is the home of the master. Weenog serves the master... cleans tower, makes beds, cooks tasty food for the master.

BRKVQ.jpg How nice, a goblin housekeeper. Forgive me if I don't hand you my cloak. Now, where is this master of yours?

weenog.jpg The master is in his study... through door. Go in if you wants to speak with the master. Weenog not allowed in study. Master keeps powerful magicks in there. Books, papers, and wizard things that Weenog not understand.

BRKVQ.jpg Thanks, Weenog. Farewell.

We go in the only door in the place, and see what looks like a very cozy study!

BWP20141102013332.jpg

#1350 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

orrick.jpg Ah yes, the disturbances. I'm afraid I can't be of much help to you there. I rarely leave this tower for any reason, you see. My studies prevent me from taking an active interest in the affairs of the people of Kuldahar. Their problems are no concern of mine.

Honestly, I get where this guy is coming from. I'm only helping because I want to get out of here.

BRKVQ.jpg I understand you're busy, but could you at least offer some assistance in the way of spells or scrolls? I'd be willing to pay, of course.

orrick.jpg I see. Well, you've come to the right place. I can certainly provide you with a number of useful spells for your spellbook. Of course, I am only willing to offer you certain spells. I fear much of the knowledge I possess is beyond your comprehension. Perhaps, in the future you may be worthy of such advanced knowledge.

What? I COME from the future. I AM the future! But anyways...

BRKVQ.jpg Very well. What do you have to ofer me at the moment?

He has some great mage robes, and select spells up to level 8 including things like Cacofiend, Summon Djinni, and Summon Fiend. Nothing I can afford, though. If only I had my hundreds of thousands of gold back.

Well, since we're already doing it, how about we complete this little tour with a visit to the tavern again? Lysan there wanted to tell us things that we didn't have time for before.

BWP20141102023137.jpg

lysan.jpg I will help you if I can. What would you like to know?

BRKVQ.jpg Who are you?

lysan.jpg I'm Lysan, the barmaid. If I may be of service to you, you need but ask.

BRKVQ.jpg What do you do here, Lysan?

lysan.jpg As I said, I'm a barmaid. I help take care of the customers. I serve food and drinks, chat with folks, and listen to what they have to say. You learn a lot if you take the time to listen.

BRKVQ.jpg Have you heard any rumors you can share with me?

lysan.jpg Well... I hear tales. Folks have been talking about the recent avalanche, the haunted vale, missing folks, monsters, and Arundel.

BRKVQ.jpg What are they saying about the avalanche?

lysan.jpg I hear it was a bad one. The pass out of the valley's been blocked and won't be open again until... who knows when? Some folks are trapped here and none too happy about it. Not much that can be done though, just wait for spring and see if it clears enough for travel.

BRKVQ.jpg You mentioned a haunted vale. Can you tell me about it?

lysan.jpg Most folks call it the Vale of Shadows. It's always dark there, like twilight or a moonlit night. Anyway, there are hose who say spirits of the dead wander the vale. Folks don't go there anymore. They're afraid to. Maybe someone should do something about that...

BRKVQ.jpg Who is this Arundel you mentioned?

lysan.jpg Arundel... he's the local sage or hermit. I don't know rightly what to call him. Folks have a lot of respect for him though. Anyway, I guess he's taken an interest in a lot of the goings on around here of late. He's been seen out and about more than is usual for him. That's all I know.

BRKVQ.jpg Did you say something about missing people earlier?

lysan.jpg Aye, folks have been vanishing without a trace... I recall something about a man's wife gone missing. He packed up and left his home and all to go find her. Another is the smithy's young son. You might want to talk to him if you have an interest.

BRKVQ.jpg I believe you said monsters were of concern. Are they a problem here?

lysan.jpg A sore subject that one is... It seems they're on the rise lately. More monsters are spotted in the surrounding countryside every day. Orcs, goblins, you know the like. It has people worried.

BRKVQ.jpg I'd like to know more about Kuldahar.

lysan.jpg I don't rightly know what to say about Kuldahar. It's a bit of a wonder. I'll give it that. The only thing that allows the town to survive is the great tree and the warmth it provides... It doesn't seem right somehow...

BRKVQ.jpg Not right? What do you mean by that?

lysan.jpg Oh, nothing really... I'm just... awed by the tree and all. Did you have more questions?

BRKVQ.jpg No, I think not. Farewell.

So, not really any new information. I approach the bar to talk to the owner of the place.

BWP20141102024632.jpg

whitcomb.jpg Oh, do you fancy her? She's easy on the eyes, she is, but a little too much of winter's chill in her to *my* liking, friend. Can't say I haven't tried to thaw her out a little, but she could keep an ogre at bay with those eyes of hers. She came here a few months ago, and she works hard, so I'm not complaining.

BRKVQ.jpg Could I see your bill of fare?

I'm not really interested in drinking, though. It's time to go back to the Inn and try to prepare again for the Vale of Shadows.

This time, I decide to mention that ring to him that Imoen found.

BWP20141102024953.jpg

aldwin.jpg Eh? What?

BRKVQ.jpg This ring has an inscription on the inside that looks like the *real* claim to this inn. Why would you be the owner when this claim says different?

aldwin.jpg Oh, so now you've stopped to forcing your way into locked containers in people's houses, hae you? Before you accuse ME of doing something wrong, maybe you should look to YOURSELF. What are you doing breaking and entering?

BRKVQ.jpg Oh, so you knew it was locked upstairs?

aldwin.jpg Uh... no, no, I didn't know it was locked upstairs. Look, I don't have to explain anyth--

BRKVQ.jpg You're right. I will take Eidan's ring to the elders of the town and let them decide how to deal with this. Perhaps they could call on Eidan's shade with the ring and speak to him about this. Justice must be served.

aldwin.jpg Look... hold on, hold on... here's what happened. First off, I never laid a *hand* on Eidan.

BRKVQ.jpg So Eidan *is* dead.

aldwin.jpg Well... yeah. But it's not my fault... I come into the inn one night after barely making my way through Kuldahar Pass, see, and there he is, lying on the floor of the inn, cold as a stone. Now, I'd been through the pass before, even talked with the old fool a bit, and I knew he didn't have any family.

BRKVQ.jpg What did you do with the body?

aldwin.jpg There'd been rumors of people missing, so I buried the body outside of town, and then, well, I dug up some pen and ink and set up the claim. Granted, I stripped him of his belongings -- and I should have thrown away that damn ring -- but look, I'm not doing any harm. He didn't HAVE any family. And this town NEEDs an inn.

BRKVQ.jpg So why did you do it? You probably won't be able to sell this place, you know. The storm season closes off the caravan routes too often to turn any profit.

aldwin.jpg I know, it's just that... I don't know, I'm SICK of traveling, and suddenly got the urge to settle. Blame the halfling in me, I suppose. At least I didn't try to plant myself in some glorified mole burrow and smoke a stinkweed pipe until I die of boredom.

BRKVQ.jpg Look... Aldwin... I'm just looking for a *cheap* place for the night, or any other night I need to rest. You're just looking for me to keep silent. Sounds to me like we can help each other.

aldwin.jpg Yeah... yeah, we can. I've got lots of empty rooms. I don't see why an *extremely* quiet guest such as yourself should have to pay for them. I mean, you keep to yourself and don't say much, no gold needs to change hands in either direction... right?

BRKVQ.jpg Very well. Show me to my room.

Ok, lets talk undead-killing strategy. The shadows in the Vale of Shadows throw out confusion, hopelessness, chaos, etc. These are mostly mind-affecting spells. You know what's immune to mind-effecting spells? Mindless undead minions! I prepare 4 castings of Animate Dead, my level 5 wizard spell. I try to tell Imoen to do it too, but she just makes a face and refuses. She thinks the undead are icky and refuses to summon them.

Also, Accalia and Dar together pray for 3 Impregnable Mind spells. This should protect 3 of us from mind-affecting magic, so that Hrothgar, Accalia, and Dar can escort my undead in attacking the shadows. They also prepare a few Animate Dead spells, although for them it is only a level 2 spell.

Then we rest, and prepare for the big fight tomorrow.

#1351 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

BWP20141104220743.jpg

14 Mirtul, 1281

We spend the night in fitful slumber, unsure of our success in the morning. It has been quite a long time since I was unsure of anything. Where has all my magic gone? Why hast the Weave deserted me?

BWP20141104220904.jpg

With careful steps we make our way back to the Vale of Shadows.

BWP20141104221003.jpg

There are yeti south. We should go there first. Sure enough, we encounter the first one past the first bend.

BWP20141104221127.jpg

We drop the first just as a second shows up. Good. We got this.

BWP20141104221223.jpg

I decide to take the left-hand path along a way I had previously missed before. Hrothgar takes point and discovers more shadows.

BWP20141104221354.jpg

Dar casts Impregnable Mind on Hrothgar at the same time that the shadows cast Fear. Both hit, but the Fear prevails. Hrothgar begins to act erratically.

BWP20141104221512.jpg

Accalia and I both summon skeletons to aid us, while Dar tries to follow up with a Resist Fear. But the shadows are on us first, and we are all afraid.

BWP20141104221612.jpg

Hrothgar begins to show true heroism in that even through his fear he cuts down a shadow.

BWP20141104221726.jpg

He continues to cleave his way through shadows, his fear slowing him down not one bit.

BWP20141104221943.jpg

When the third shadow falls, I wonder what I ever did without Hrothgar.

BWP20141104222013.jpg

We all eventually calm down, and Dar casts Resist Fear on us. The next shadow we encounter fazes us not.

BWP20141104222124.jpg

He just dissipates on the wind, like tears... in rain...

BWP20141104222217.jpg

It looks like the shadows were guarding some strange cave in the rocks.

Gameplay note: Full disclosure, I had a total party wipe here 4 times. Once Hrothgar exploded and perma-died.

I sense that there will be a lot of undead in this cave, so Accalia and Dar cast Moonblade, while Imoen and I get our Mirror Images ready. Then Hrothgar Protects everybody from Evil, while I and Imoen do Gymlianic's Lightbend and Stoneskin. I cast a Fire Shield, and finally Haste everyone.

BWP20141104234501.jpg

Then we enter. There are indeed a ton of undead. The melee fighters break left, while I and Imoen summon skeletons/elemental to the right to try to slow down reinforcements.

BWP20141104234656.jpg

Accalia, Dar, and Hrothgar focus-fire on a ghast and kill it. Imoen succeeds in wrestling for control of the elemental while I tell everyone else to run down the left hallway. Skeleton warriors are nasty, but they're slow, especially when we're Hasted.

BWP20141104234923.jpg

This gives us time to heal and reform a defensive line, hopefully with less skeleton warriors, some being distracted by our summons.

BWP20141104235225.jpg

A ghoul comes from the right hallway and attacks me, but my Fire Shield and Shar-Teel's arrows kill it. I also land the killing blow on the skeleton warrior that we were all attacking. Hopefully this gives enough time for Dar to throw a heal on Hrothgar.

BWP20141104235409.jpg

Thankfully, the skeleton warriors are all lined up in a row, so we focus on the nearest one and it goes down next.

BWP20141104235621.jpg

The next skeleton falls while Accalia has retreated to heal in peace. This combat tactics thing is working!

BWP20141104235754.jpg

But as I prepare a Blade Shower, 3 more skeleton warriors come around the corner! Imoen summons another elemental in response.

BWP20141104235853.jpg

Hrothgar is not doing good, and calls out for aid.

BWP20141105000117.jpg

Then Accalia pulls out the big guns. She stands tall in the center of the skeleton warrior assault, looks up to the heavens with her eyes closed, and calls out to her god in supreme confidence. Even in the darkness of this tomb, even underground, at night, in this valley of perpetual shadows, her god answers her. Pure light of the sun shines down upon her and burns all her enemies.

BWP20141105000230.jpg

One skeleton warrior falls. Then, she just does it again.

BWP20141105000436.jpg

Another skeleton falls. There is only one left. Imoen unleashes her elemental then.

It is unnecessary.

BWP20141105000522.jpg

We quickly send the elemental on ahead. We hear it engage a shadow.

BWP20141105000613.jpg

The elemental comes back frightened. But a single shadow is no match for our entire party.

BWP20141105000723.jpg

Accalia and Dar both spend some time healing up Hrothgar, while we wait for the elemental to stop being frightened. When it does, we send it around the corner again. The same thing happens.

BWP20141105000853.jpg

Surprisingly, this time Imoen warns us of a trap near the corner. Why didn't the elemental set it off?

BWP20141105001100.jpg

She disarms it, and we take out the shadow. We see that a part of the floor has collapsed.

BWP20141105001211.jpg

Around the corner, the tomb just... stops.

BWP20141105001319.jpg

In the sarcophagus we find a 3 Potions of Magic Shielding, and some low-level spell scrolls. Nothing big.

Imoen searches the rest of the tomb as well.

BWP20141105001459.jpg

In the central chamber she finds a Protection from Ailments scroll. Hmm, that's new.

BWP20141105001542.jpg

She also finds a scroll of identify and a strange key.

BWP20141105001606.jpg

But the best thing about this area is that each of the skeleton warriors was using a magical two-handed sword!

BWP20141105001807.jpg

Score!!! We might be able to afford those insanely expensive items after all!

On the back wall, we find a Studded Leather Armor +1 and a Cursed Scroll of Weakness.

BWP20141105001925.jpg

BWP20141105002045.jpg

Also, one of the skeletons was wearing a Studded Leather Armor +1. Awesome!

BWP20141105002218.jpg

What is even more awesome is that it doesn't improve anybody's AC. Imoen is fine with her Leather and Shar-Teel prefers her Chainmail. So this is going to the store, baby!

When we come out of the cave, I realize that we are all beaten, bruised, and dead tired. That Haste spell really took it out of us.

BWP20141105002347.jpg

I'm calling it for today. We're going back to town.

We have to fight our way through yeti,

BWP20141105002516.jpg

but we make it.

BWP20141105002639.jpg

We unload all our loot, and count the coins. We've earned a sweet, sweet 2,500 gold!

BWP20141105003023.jpg

Ahh, its good to be back. I'm getting back into my groove. I can feel it!

#1352 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

BWP20141118234158.jpg

14 Mirtul, 1281

After several days of silence and fighting, it is inevitable that Hrothgar addresses me.

BWP20141118234608.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg Are you still concerned about my purpose in being here Hrothgar? If so I suggest you take it up with Irenicus the next time he opens a portal in your town.

Hrothgar.jpeg No, I have a far more serious concern on my mind at the moment. You pose no threat to this mission nor do you appear to be in league with whatever threatens Kuldahar, that I am sure of.

Hrothgar.jpeg Kuldahar is my main concern, and equally as worrying is whether Easthaven itself is in any danger. So I ask you to tell me please Syvishtar, is all this running around necessary or should we be looking elsewhere?

BRKVQ.jpg I will be truthful with you, Hrothgar. I do not know.

Hrothgar.jpeg You don't know? How can you not know? You come all this way from the future, say that you know of me, but not what it is you know!

BRKVQ.jpg I found Gorion's stories of the old glory days boring, so I usually only caught the beginnings and the ends.

Hrothgar.jpeg (*Sighs*) I suppose it is just as well. I am not afraid for myself, but I worry for Kuldahar and maybe Easthaven if this evil decides to stretch its hand out in its direction. We will just have to assume that what we are doing has to be done, so let us continue without further delay.

I don't often say this, and I wish I didn't have everything I think written down - but I wish I would have paid more attention in school.

Now let's forget this thought ever happened and kill some more undead!

BWP20141119002257.jpg

Might as well try the northernmost tomb again. How hard can it be? This time I tell Accalia to bust out with the Sunbursts earlier rather than later.

After a flurry of magic...

BWP20141119002627.jpg

we head in.

Accalia, Dar, and myself immediately raise undead to the right.

BWP20141119013532.jpg

Yes, we raised 5!

With them as a distraction, we rush around this tomb trying to find a good place to make our stand. Imoen shouts out "trap!"

BWP20141119013637.jpg

Things don't work out quite right, and I hear Shar-Teel's death cry. And then, Hrothgar triggers a trap on the wrong side of the wall. Great.

BWP20141119013822.jpg

All of our enemies seem to be coming down one hallway, and so we make our stand here. Hrothgar better wake up soon!

BWP20141119013957.jpg

To give us a bit of an edge, I cast Glyph of Wild Magic down the hallway.

BWP20141119014136.jpg

Dar unleashes a lightning bolt down the hallway, which bounces around so much that it looks like its coming from Imoen. But Imoen is summoning an air elemental.

BWP20141119014304.jpg

I do the only thing that I can do, which is summon more skeletons.

BWP20141119014452.jpg

I think we have everything under control, but then the skeleton warriors come around the corner of the other hallway. Dar rushes them to keep them at bay.

BWP20141119014629.jpg

I'm worried that the situation is going to go pear-shaped, but then Hrothgar breaks out of his enchantment, and obliterates a skeleton into chunks! Yeah!

BWP20141119014823.jpg

Accalia starts calling down the Sun right and left.

BWP20141119014937.jpg

Most of the undead fall in the first hallway, so she runs over to Dar's hallway and lets loose another False Dawn.

BWP20141119015125.jpg

Imoen's lesser air elemental comes up the hallway where Hrothgar is cleaning things up, helping him.

BWP20141119015212.jpg

Dar calls upon his god again, and he answers, giving him endurance beyond measure.

BWP20141119015344.jpg

I feel a little useless, to be honest. An almost-dead skeleton warrior comes right up to me. I cast Rhialto's Random Missiles at it, and none of them do anything.

BWP20141119015532.jpg

Two seconds later, Imoen's air elemental takes it out. Imoen saved me.

BWP20141119015712.jpg

Dar becomes surrounded, and it looks like he may die.

BWP20141119020021.jpg

He calls upon his god, but it is not enough. He dies, and the mob turns to the air elemental fighting beside him.

BWP20141119020123.jpg

I try to turn the tide alone. I run into the hallway and cast Summon Wild Horde.

BWP20141119020222.jpg

I try to get out of the line of fire, that is the area of fire, but I don't make it far before the bunnies start going off.

BWP20141119020339.jpg

A stray arrow hits me in the back of the head, and I fall down too. Things become a little fuzzy after that.

BWP20141119020526.jpg

Hrothgar dies next to Accalia, as they try to protect Imoen while she summons a fire elemental.

BWP20141119020637.jpg

Accalia's Ironskins hold out just long enough for the elemental to join in the fight. The burning, fiery outline of a man and Accalia's Moonblade burning the undead two different ways.

BWP20141119020746.jpg

The fire elemental is doing pretty good against the remaining undead, so Accalia and Imoen retreat to heal and buff. Imoen pulls out her two Protection from Undead scrolls. Each woman uses one.

BWP20141119021040.jpg

The skeleton warriors finally destroy the fire elemental. One comes around the bend, but Imoen takes it out with an arrow to the eye. It falls.

BWP20141119021202.jpg

Her hammer back in her hand, Accalia destroys the zombie guard that comes after her.

BWP20141119021256.jpg

But the skeleton warriors cut her down without a care. Imoen is alone.

BWP20141119021406.jpg

Her dagger useless against them, her bow equally so, she eventually loses all her mirror images, and falls to their assault.

BWP20141119021550.jpg

#1353 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:31 AM

I absolutely hated the Vale of Shadows on my very first IWD playthrough. I eventually figured out a good set of cheese tactics but it took a while.

Now what...?

#1354 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:17 AM

BWP20150101143130.jpg

15 Mirtul, 1281

I awake in a strange room of metal and stench, the open bodies of flayed corpses on tables my immediate sight - a floating skull beside me my only companion.

ingame_4x3.jpg

Then my sight fractures, and that scene gets smaller, thinner, and I am standing in front of the tomb.

BWP20150101143407.jpg

With Imoen. And Hrothgar. Yes, of course. Of course. That's what is happening now. Here. Because here is where I am. Yes. Where else could I be?

We are about to attack this barrow. So, let us prepare and attack!

Step one, magic up!

BWP20150101145156.jpg

Step two, charge!

BWP20150101145240.jpg

This time I tell everybody to break out the big guns early.

BWP20150101145442.jpg

But that doesn't save Shar-Teel from an early death.

BWP20150101145559.jpg

Accalia is really bringing the light-hammer down, though.

BWP20150101145644.jpg

Her second one comes quickly, but we are all quite injured.

BWP20150101145919.jpg

I order a temporary retreat to heal.

BWP20150101150002.jpg

Then its back into the fight. Our righteous warriors finish killing everything and then heal themselves in sync.

BWP20150101151050.jpg

Then it is over, and it is time to loot. We find more magical swords, a few incidental gems, and a couple pieces of strange stitched-together armors.

Skin-of-the-Zombie--+2.jpg

We search further into the tomb, and find a table used for sacrifices and also some sort of giant worm.

BWP20150101152144.jpg

We kill the carrion crawler without too much trouble.

BWP20150101152232.jpg

Imoen sees a trap in an entrance to a side room.

BWP20150101152326.jpg

And she finds some equipment on a dead skeleton hanging on the wall.

BWP20150101152401.jpg

A fireball scroll, Protection from Undead, and a throwing axe.

Bone-Cleaver-Axe.jpg

Gameplay Note: Ooh, yes, +4 damage to undead! And it may simply destroy them! Isn't this supposed to be a mace?

I give Hrothgar his new throwing axe. I'm sure he'll put it to good use!

Imoen finds another trap.

BWP20150101160450.jpg

And then we are done with this second tomb. Time to go back to town and resurrect Shar-Teel.

BWP20150101160543.jpg

BWP20150101160912.jpg

When we resurrect Shar-Teel, Dar takes a special interest in her.

BWP20150101160935.jpg

Dar.jpeg Shar-Teel... if I may presume to use your name? I hope that now we have fought side by side you do not still perceive me as quite as burdensome to the group as you first thought?

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg It is my name, if needs must you may use it!

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg You fight well enough half orc... for your kind, but that's no excuse to approach me and speak to me as if you were my equal... that you will never be!

Dar.jpeg You misunderstand. I never expected to be considered equal in the world of men. I only hope, one day, to gain acceptance and recognition for the skills I bring to it... that is the most I dare hope to dream of.

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg (*Scoffs*) Syvishtar brought you into this group, you should be telling him of your hopes... they are of no interest to me. I can't imagine why you think they are!

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg You're an abomination, not only as a half-orc but also as a male! Your kind are savages, your own birth is proof enough. That poor wretch of a woman you call mother should have castrated your father as soon as he dropped his breeches. Me, I wouldn't have hesitated... him and any others who thought to try their luck.

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg Seems to me a man can't go raping decent women if he's nothing in his breeches!

Dar.jpeg (*Sadly*) Yours is the attitude I have come to expect and have learnt to accept in this life. I should have realized that I have no right to presume to speak with you, nor to impose my thoughts and expectations on you. I am sorry... forgive me.

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg Yeah... well, in the future half-orc, keep that ugly great head of yours away from me and we'll get on just fine!

#1355 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:18 AM

Then we stumble back to our Inn and get some well-deserved rest. After we wake, Hrothgar engages Dar in some much more polite conversation.

Gameplay note: And this conversation is fully voiced! Hrothgar sounds like an upper-class paladin, and Dar sounds like a teenager with a voice filter applied.

BWP20150101163245.jpg

Dar.jpeg I am half-orc by birth Hrothgar, and if you do not mind, I would prefer you not to refer to me as a "kind"!

Hrothgar.jpeg I meant no offense friend Dar. I meant to say that your mannerisms suggest that you had some education in your upbringing and I am interested in knowing a little of yourself and your early life.

Dar.jpeg I did not mean to sound so gruff Hrothgar, but to be spoken of as such gives the impression that you think of me and my kindred as inferior beings. I did not expect that of you.

Hrothgar.jpeg Then I am truly sorry, for that was not my intention. Know that I do not perceive you as inferior in any way. Can you tell me a little of yourself? Only if you with to, of course.

Dar.jpeg Perhaps I was being a bit too tetchy my frind. I am not ashamed to speak of my past to anyone who will take the time to listen. My conception and birth, I am sure needs no clarification.

Dar.jpeg I was raised and tutored in a temple of Ilmater by the priests that took in and cared for my mother. In truth, I am what I am because of them; it is my belief however that if more of my kin were treated fairly and educaed, instead of being shunned or hunted down and murdered, then it would not be such a rarity to come upon a civilized fellow like me.

Dar.jpeg Anyway, enough of me. What of you, Hrothgar? What were you before you took this road?

Hrothgar.jpeg There is very little to tell of me. I go where I am most needed at the time, and when done I move on to the next place that requires my aid. But look, Dar, we fall behind. We must hurry on.

Shar-Teel thinks that this would be a great time to talk to Hrothgar, too.

BWP20150101164127.jpg

Hrothgar.jpeg (*Sighing*) Please Shar-Teel, I have no objections to you using my name. Perhaps you'll show a little less disdain if you use it and forget the paladin in me.

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg (*Gruffly*) Huh, if you lost some of those holier than thou airs and graces that you put on, we might all foget the paldin in you. All this goody goody, "I'm superior to you and you can't possibly live up to my example" is sickening! Admit it, you're a prude 'paladin'?

Hrothgar.jpeg There is nothing prudish in the way I conduct my life. It is my choice and although it saddens me to see he way some choose to live, I have never set myself up as an example, no do I expect everyone to agree with my code. Only the gods have the right to expect man to follow by their example.

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg Ha... so as long as we live by the example set by a god, regardless of which god we choose to follow, then we can not be condemned for our actions... it is a god's way!

Hrothgar.jpeg (*Smiling*) So, by inferring that to follow the example of one of the less than righteous members of our pantheon one can not be condemned for evil deeds, you think you have me do you young lady?

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg You got it in one! In your own words... man chooses his god, his god sets his demands, man follows. Oh, and be careful how you address me, paladin, or I'll how you just how unladylike I can be!

Hrothgar.jpeg (*Bows slightly*) Forgive my inpertinence, Shar-Teel.

Hrothgar.jpeg It is because of the differing alignments of the gods that good, evil, and impartiality will always be a part of our world...

Hrothgar.jpeg We cannot change it, it is the way. Just as it will always be the way for the priests of one god to strive to conver al those aligned to another to their own faith. Each will condemn the other saying theirs is the right way, but in the nd, each and every an has free wll to make his own choices in this life.

Hrothgar.jpeg Now supposing, just supposing I were to...

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg (*She slants her eyes and her face darkens*) Stop right there! There's no supposing anything... I'm not standing here and listening to you go into the spiel of one of those damned converting priests yourself! I'm exercising some of that free will and ending this conversation now!

Hrothgar.jpeg That is your prerogative. Now, what was it you hailed me for?

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg Forget it! You'll only turn it into another sermon... you just can't help yourself!

I need to get the hell out of here.

I also need to devise a different strategy for the undead. I haven't done enough burning lately, because I'm not immune to magic anymore. But, you know what? I do have a Protection From Fire spell. I can cast 4 of them. And ... well, lets do a test.

I have Accalia cast Resist Fire and Cold on me.

BWP20150101232040.jpg

It will negate approximately half of any damage fire or cold would do to me.

BWP20150101232056.jpg

Then I cast Fire Shield (red) on myself.

BWP20150101232143.jpg

Aha!

BWP20150101232203.jpg

The fire shield plus the cleric spell gives me complete immunity to fire! Probably. We can do this.

It takes some fighting to get to the next tomb.

BWP20150101233206.jpg

But its nothing we can't handle.

BWP20150101233315.jpg

In the center of this valley we see an ancient statue.

BWP20150101233620.jpg

a little northeast of that, we find our third tomb entrance.

BWP20150101233815.jpg

I cast Protection from Fire on those who can't cast Fire Shield, and Dar and Accalia cast Resist Fire and Cold on those who can.

BWP20150101234025.jpg

#1356 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:18 AM

Imoen makes small talk while we prepare.

BWP20150101234212.jpg

XhduJ.jpg Hello Imoen, and please, my name is Accalia.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Right'o' Accalia, just thought Ace sounded a bit more pally. What you doing anyway?

XhduJ.jpg Washing my hose... what does it look like I am doing?

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Aww... very funny. I can see you are writing but what are you writing?

XhduJ.jpg If you must know Imoen, it is an account of all that transpires on this expedition of ours.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Oh, a journal... boring. Let me tell you what you should write, help you make it less boring...

XhduJ.jpg Imoen, I do not find writing a journal boring, not will I find it boring, when in the future, I look back and read about the friends I have made today. you are all in here... (*patting her book*) .. for me to remember.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg I was going to say... what was that... all of us? You mean I am in your journal? You have to let me read it now Accalia! Please, please can I read it?

XhduJ.jpg No, you may not! A journal is a private and personal thing.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Then you read it to me. You only have to read the parts about me, to me. I have never been written about before. Tell me, you have not forgotten to write how captivating and beguiling young Imoen is, how she turns heads wherever she walks?

XhduJ.jpg Imoen, this is a journal, not some bard's romantic tale! I write of our day to day struggles, of our battles with enemies we encounter on our road, and how we grow together in camaraderie.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Yeah, whatever, but you could still make it more colorful, by using lots of bright descriptive words.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg You could say, for instance, "The sun caught Imon's hair, causing it to shine lustriously, as she made ready to loosn an arrow from her bow," or...

Imoen-bg2.jpeg "Imoen's young svelte body flowed gracefully into the shadows as she prepared to scout ahead," or even...

XhduJ.jpg Imoen... stop... please. You can be assured that I have some very colorful words of my own when it comes to my writing about you. Now, please leave me in peace to finish today's account.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg (*Muttering under her breath as she walks away*) Hmph! She needn't think I won't find ou what she has written, because I will, you can bet on it!

I'm not sure if the final spell worked right.

BWP20150101235141.jpg

Oh well, lets do this!

We enter the tomb. This one looks... different.

BWP20150102000325.jpg

Triple fireball attack GO!

BWP20150102000436.jpg

I have forgotten one crucial detail - skeleton warrior magic resistance.

At least False Dawn works!

BWP20150102000541.jpg

Some skeleton archers wander in from the next room. At least our fireballs can hit them!

BWP20150102000756.jpg

As Accalia's third False Dawn washes over the assembled skeleton warriors, she casts Defensive Harmony on us all and wades into melee.

BWP20150102000854.jpg

They aren't dead, but most of the skeleton warriors look ready to fall apart.

BWP20150102000955.jpg

When all the skeleton warriors are dead, and everything looks like it is almost gone, a skeleton archer one-shots Imoen in the face! No!!

BWP20150102001140.jpg

Some of these skeleton warriors were carrying great spell scrolls. I find Spell Trap, Khelben's Warding Whip, and Simulacrum! I haven't even ever seen Spell Trap before.

Spell-Trap.jpg

Without Imoen, we have no way to know if something is trapped or not. I send Dar instead.

BWP20150102001729.jpg

He doesn't find a trap, only a Cursed Scroll of Foolishness and another Protection from Undead scroll.

BWP20150102001924.jpg

Despite what it looks like, we do find a few potions on the shelves.

BWP20150102001956.jpg

There are tons of bones here.

BWP20150102002023.jpg

In the tomb we find some potions, a ring, a few low-level spell scrolls, and a chainamil +1.

BWP20150102002047.jpg

It suits Shar-Teel juuuust fine. She takes it.

Then, it is back to town to resurrect Imoen, because Dar didn't memorize the spell.

We also stop by and sell our assembled loot. We now have 5536 gold!

BWP20150102003845.jpg

I give Imoen the extra spells that I found, Khelben's Warding Whip and Simulacrum, and tell her to copy them in. But she spills ink all over Simulacrum and completely ruins the scroll. I'm in too much shock to even scold her.

She successfully copies Khelben's Warding Whip into her spellbook, but then she seems to not be able to copy any others. She says her spellbook is... full?

BWP20150102003958.jpg

Gameplay Note: It seems like our reinstall reinstated the harsher rules for intelligence and spellbooks. Imoen, with her mere 17 intelligence, is at her limit for level 2 spells and can even fail to copy a spell into her spellbook. We're going to have to get her a Potion of Insight!

Then we go to the Inn to prepare spells and rest.

#1357 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:47 AM

Oh good - you're back!

-Y-

#1358 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

BWP20150103183325.jpg

17 Mirtul, 1281

The problem with magic resistant skeleton warriors is that they're magic resistant. It's hard to develop a comprehensive magical strategy against them when they can just resist everything.

I guess, if they can resist everything, what I need to do is focus on myself. Ourselves. I should focus on casting magic on the party, who can then use it to kill the skeleton warriors.

Ok, good plan Syvishtar. I'm glad we had this talk.

BWP20150103215051.jpg

That means, for level 5 spells, Paithan's Lucky Streak all 'round! And from Imoen, Monster Summoning III. Summoning those elementals is endangering her life something fierce.

For level 4, we'll try stoneskin, improved invisibility, fire shield (red), and spider spawn. Those spiders should be worth something, right? And at least I won't have to wait for ten minutes to wrestle with their minds. I hope? Imoen will maintain her stoneskin and improved invisibility.

For level 3, Gymlainac's Lightbend for myself, and... wait. Hold on. How could I have forgotten this spell? HALT UNDEAD. Ok, I gotta try this one. I also throw in some Melf's Minute Meteors, for myself and for Imoen. She also puts a Remove Magic in there, just in case. And of course we both memorize Haste. That's the good stuff.

For level 2, its two Mirror Images and 3 Blade Showers. For Imoen its two Mirror Images, Invisibility, and Blur.

For level 1, I'm going to go back to Nahal's Reckless Dweomer, just in case. Imoen chooses Mage Armor, two of Physical Agility, and a True Strike. That should help her.

I tell the divine casters to do whatever it is divine casters do. I think I see Accalia roll her eyes, but I don't say anything, because I'm magnanimous in victory.

BOOYAH!

Then, my friends, it is once again back to the grind.

BWP20150103222950.jpg

We try the southeastermmost tomb this time.

BWP20150103223054.jpg

The last spell Imoen casts is Haste, and then we rush in.

BWP20150103223525.jpg

But this time someone SPEAKS to us.

BWP20150103223624.jpg

therik.jpg Kuldahar... That name is not familiar to me. I know nothing of Kuldahar. Seek elsewhere. Leave this place.

BRKVQ.jpg If you are not responsible, then who is?

therik.jpg I... do not know. I tire of these questions. Leave this place.

What? And leave all this loot behind?

BRKVQ.jpg I have no intention of leaving here.

therik.jpg Then you shall die. Make peace with your god in what little time you have on this earth... Brethren! Slay this intruder!

BRKVQ.jpg So be it!

Imoen starts things off right by obliterating the vampiric mist in front of us.

BWP20150103224053.jpg

Those are some mean Melf's Minute Meteors she's got...

The clerics break off and attack different targets. I don't like the look of that Therik character... not one bit!

BWP20150103224139.jpg

Imoen and I give him some monsters to play with.

BWP20150103224236.jpg

He seems to fall rather quickly for someone so ugly.

BWP20150103224321.jpg

We send the summoned creatures into the hallway to fight some more undead hordes.

BWP20150103224442.jpg

Accalia considers the hallway fight to be an appropriate time for her False Dawn.

BWP20150103224556.jpg

Turns out that this isn't a hallway, but a bridge. And it also turns out that there are mummies in these tombs!

BWP20150103224916.jpg

We send in Imoen's ogres first. We don't want to be hit by Mummy Rot!

BWP20150103225035.jpg

They destroy it in short order. Dar and Accalia cast Spiritual Hammer to be able to attack from afar. Then we go mummy-hunting.

We find a ghoul first. Poor thing.

BWP20150103225312.jpg

We find a zombie next.

BWP20150103225357.jpg

We find another mummy at the bottom of some stairs and through a lot of other undead.

BWP20150103225449.jpg

I try at this point to cast Halt Undead. But the skeleton warrior magic resistance trumps this too!

BWP20150103225606.jpg

We retreat a little bit and then several things happen at once. I cast Haste. Dar casts Shield of Lathander on Hrothgar. And Accalia casts Righteous Wrath of the Faithful upon us all.

BWP20150103225738.jpg

The skeleton warriors are suddenly up against fast, powerful melee warriors, and the weakest-looking one is immune to damage. Ha!

Hrothgar's Axe of Disruption mows through the skeleton warriors like a positive energy mace through negative-energy-powered enemies.

BWP20150103225936.jpg

We are even able to kill the mummy so fast that nobody gets mummy rot!

BWP20150103230054.jpg

We see shadows in the next room below the one the mummy was in.

BWP20150103230156.jpg

They flee before our righteous might.

BWP20150103230240.jpg

There doesn't seem to be anything else looking to kill us right now. We start to examine our surroundings.

BWP20150103230312.jpg

Imoen finds a trap.

BWP20150103230353.jpg

In the trapped box we find a second sanctum key, that looks a lot like the first one we found.

BWP20150103230429.jpg

There is also a magical dagger, a Chaos Dagger as it turns out!

BWP20150103230514.jpg

It is better than Apsel the Scrimshander's dagger, so Imoen takes it.

In a nearby tomb we find a masterwork dagger and a Potion of Rage. I bet Shar-Teel would like that. I give it to her.

We've done so well in this tomb that I think we can do another without sleeping. So I lead my party down perilous paths to ...

#1359 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

ambush!

BWP20150103231339.jpg

Hrothgar, Accalia, and Imoen are hit with Hopelessness. They stand still.

BWP20150103231442.jpg

Hrothgar's frozen form is gnawed on by these horrors. Dar and I try to distract it, but to no avail. Thankfully, Hrothgar himself wakes up and spreads that last Wandering Horror's ectoplasm all over the snow.

BWP20150103231619.jpg

We buff up again with our remaining magic, but I glance to either side as we go in what may be the next-to-last tomb.

BWP20150103232000.jpg

Hey... this one has statues and a gigantic door. This is probably the one we should go in last. There's another one... over below the statue...

BWP20150103232000.jpg

Yeah, lets do this first.

BWP20150103232210.jpg

This one isn't full of undead, though, like I thought it would be. This one is full of yeti!

BWP20150103232246.jpg

They take Shar-Teel first. I've got to get her to stop running into melee with a bow.

BWP20150103232410.jpg

For some reason, most of them go after Imoen next.

BWP20150103235100.jpg

Imoen manages to cast Invisibility on herself just as Dar drops the yeti near him.

BWP20150103235156.jpg

I'm frantically casting Paithan's Lucky Streak on all the combatants.

Dar and Accalia hope they are evil, and cast Holy Smite at them. It works!

BWP20150103235348.jpg

I try to use Nahal's Reckless Dweomer to throw a Fireball, but the Weave stays my hand. And the rest of my body.

BWP20150103235438.jpg

Oh. I see. I'm sorry, I won't cast magic against the yeti again.

Imoen summons more monsters, but it is too late for Hrothgar.

BWP20150103235649.jpg

An ogre berserker explodes into chunks as a tundra yeti swipes it to pieces, quite literally. Also, another one destroys Dar.

BWP20150103235847.jpg

Accalia calls down her last Holy Smite on the yeti, and at least one falls.

BWP20150103235947.jpg

Imoen notices that her arrows are doing nothing to the yeti, so she switches to her new chaos dagger and comes in for melee with Branwen Accalia. The other remaining yeti attacks my mirror images.

BWP20150104000204.jpg

Accalia's Rift Hammer explodes in a shower of energy, and the yeti falls.

BWP20150104000304.jpg

The Weave releases its hold on me, and I switch to a quarterstaff to finish the job. but Accalia is the one who does it, again.

BWP20150104000355.jpg

We end the fight 3 up and 3 down. Not a really good way, but at least we're alive.

We find some kinda booth things that the yeti have in their cave.

BWP20150104000857.jpg

We turn up a magical cloak, a masterwork mace, some potions, gems, and jewelry, and one more Protection fom Undead scroll. That makes 5 altogether.

The cloak is exceptional!

Cloak-of-Scintillating-Colors.jpg

I think I'll give it to Hrothgar. He always seems to die too early.

So its back to town to resurrect 3 party members this time.

BWP20150104001722.jpg

Hrothgar looks pretty good with his new cloak.

BWP20150104001654.jpg

We travel to the inn once again to rest and heal our wounds. Dar makes small talk as we rest for the evening.

BWP20150104001846.jpg

Dar.jpeg But there is something more. I have struggled enough with my own heritage not to notice the plight of another trying to come to terms with who they are when I meet them. Whereas I have the priests of Ilmater to thank for who I am, I often wonder what it must be like to be raised by one's parents and learn who you are through them. Does it make accepting oneself easier Syvishtar?

BRKVQ.jpg Unfortunately I never knew my parents. I was raised by my foster father Gorion, a good man. I try to follow his ways as a tribute to him.

Dar.jpeg Our lives are very similar in that respect. My father I never knew nor wish to know, and my mother's mind was so ravaged by the rape that she said very litle to me. The priests told me that she came from one of the barbarian tribes living in the outlying areas.

Dar.jpeg They were all slaughtered, and left for dead during a confrontation with orcs. All except my mother, that is. She was all that remained of her tribe and it is a pitiful life that she now leads. And that, my friend, is the sum of all that I know of my mother's people.

Dar.jpeg Did your Gorion tell you anything of your parents Syvishtar?

BRKVQ.jpg No, he did not. I have had to discover what I know for myself.

Dar.jpeg Until I left the temple of Ilmater, I was living daily with the pain of seeing my mother's constant despair. Not a day has passed that I have not wished I could have spared her pain, even to the extent of cursing my own birth. Perhaps your Gorion was hiding such a truth from you, trying to spare you similar pain?

BRKVQ.jpg No, it wasn't like that. Gorion kept my heritage from me because he was afraid others would discover it and seek to destroy the taint, and me with it.

Dar.jpeg You speak of taint and heritage, something we both carry and both inherited from our fathers. Perhaps we are not so different. What I can not understand is why a woman would bear a child for such a man, knowing the child would surely be tainted by the father's corruption? Was it an act of love, Syvishtar? Did your mother love your father, or did he force his child upon her?

Gameplay note: I have the choice here to either tell Dar that I'm a child of Bhaal, or hide it.

If I tell Dar, a priest of Ilmater, about my heritage almost 100 years before it comes to pass, there may be serious consequences. What if he leaves a prophecy, or tries to interfere with the future, or something? But then again, what if NOT doing that also causes serious problems? Gah, I should have paid more attention in Temporal Theory class.

Screw it, I'll just tell him.

BRKVQ.jpg My father was no ordinary man. He was a god, Bhaal, the god of murder, and I was conceived through necessity to continue his line. Neither love nor lust had anything to do with it.

Dar.jpeg Bhaal! You carry the taint of the god of murder within you! I can only imagine how difficult that must be for you to fight even more than my own battle with the brutish orc within myself.

Dar.jpeg How do you live with this knowledge of yourself and still maintain your distance from all that it must mean? You must surely carry turmoil within you constantly.

BRKVQ.jpg Gorion taught me well, as well as your priests taught you.

Dar.jpeg You are an exceptional person Syvishtar, to be aware of Bhaal's taint and yet you still remain true to all that you have been taught. Now I understand why your friends respect and remain loyal to you.

Dar.jpeg Please accept the hand of Dar the Half-orc, and be assured that my loyalty will remain as constant as that of your companions.

I go o sleep wondering if thats the real reason people keep following me around.

Injbg.jpg

#1360 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:03 AM

BWP20150105230740.jpg

18 Mirtul, 1281

Shar-Teel makes our recuperation time tedious with her constant whinging about the penis. How did I ever sleep with that woman?

BWP20150104004143.jpg

XhduJ.jpg It is a calling, Shar-Teel, not just something a person wakes up one day and decides to do. It is an honor to be called by one's god or goddess to do their will.

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg Yea right. This male materializes out of thin air and says he's your god. Then, with a click of his fingers you fall at his feet ready to do anything he asks! Could just as easily been a demon you know. Devious blighters are demons, always looking to make fools of us mortals. That is, those without the sense to see through them.

XhduJ.jpg That's where faith comes into it. But to be honest with you Shar-teel, because of your prideful attitude I doubt I could explain it in such a way you'd accept. This conversation is a waste of both our time. (*She turns away*)

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg Hey we aren't done yet! What's wrong with a little friendly banter between girls... surely if it's as strong as you make out, your faith can withstand a little inquiry?

XhduJ.jpg My faith in Tempus is unshakable. It's your inability to make an unbiased judgement when the subject under discussion involves a male... be he a god or mortal. Tell me, Shar-Teel, if I were the chosen of a goddess, would we be having this conversation?

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg Chosen, is that how you see yourself? More like enslaved. You said yourself that you would prefer to be on the battlefield than serving in the temple, and yet where did we find you? In the temple serving under and answerable to yet another male!

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg You believe you are strong, but in reality it's men who pull your strings. You are just another weak woman, priestess of Tempus and you're right. This conversation has been a waste of time.

But after enough "rest" and "relaxation," we travel back into the Vale of Shadows to stand in front of this strange effigy-flanked door.

BWP20150105230713.jpg

Oh that it would simply lead me to passage south.

We enter. And, strangely enough, nothing attacks us immediately. Instead we see a well-worn statue.

BWP20150105231047.jpg

I ask Imoen to go scout. She seems to be relying on the Weave more and more these days.

BWP20150105231142.jpg

She leaves by the left passage.

BWP20150105231223.jpg

Soon a disembodied Imoen voice echoes from the right passage that a door is before her, and would someone please open it? We know she doesn't want to break invisibility.

BWP20150105231316.jpg

Hrothgar obliges. But there is a skeleton warrior on the other side.

BWP20150105231412.jpg

He charges in, axe raised. There are... several other undead.

BWP20150105231505.jpg

Hrothgar seems to love running around getting hit by arrows.

BWP20150105231645.jpg

When he dies, we decide to retreat. Many of the skeletons hit Imoen next. I heal her as the clerics gear up to fight, and she casts Summon Monster 3.

BWP20150105231812.jpg

Accalia's by-now signature move meets with potent kindling.

BWP20150105231942.jpg

But it is not fast enough to save Shar-Teel. Is that woman made of paper?

BWP20150105232034.jpg

We retreat, drawing the skeleton warriors out. One falls and another takes its place.

BWP20150105232156.jpg

Dar casts a spell, and suddenly I cannot speak.

BWP20150105232358.jpg

Did he... did he just cast Silence on the entire party? What the hell man! What the hell are we supposed to do without any spells?!

I motion for everyone to retreat outside.

BWP20150105232522.jpg

Once there, I sit fuming. When the spell wears off, I am calm enough to forgo saying anything. I just tell everyone to heal, buff up and get back inside.

BWP20150105232836.jpg

After a whole lot of melee, all of the skeleton warriors are dead.

BWP20150105233238.jpg

We win, but it doesn't feel like a win. Imoen writes Ruby Ray of Reversal, Incendiary Cloud, and Summon Nishruu into her spellbook successfully, after we find them on the skeleton warrior corpses.

My mind wanders during the trip back to town to resurrect our companions. I only come to again when I overhear Accalia speak to Dar.

BWP20150105234406.jpg

Dar.jpeg I have no idea whether there are others of my race that believe as I do, Accalia, but I have to believe that there are. I cannot be the only one that finds the savagery amongst my kin so appalling. I have the priests of Ilmater to thank for what I am today, but even without their teachings I still think I would have turned my back on that side of my heritage.

XhduJ.jpg The priests may have taught you Dar, but only you could have made you what you are. As you say, you could not live among the tribes of the half-orc because you feel their way is barbaric. Your instincts are different and I believe your way was set from the day of your birth.

Dar.jpeg There may be some truth in what you say, but I believe it is because of what they have instilled in me that I remain on the honourable road.

XhduJ.jpg That is not so, Dar. Not all who are taught what is good and what is evil keep to the honourable path. That is a decision one has to make for oneself. The hard part is finding the courage to live by that decision when all around despise you and would rejoice in your death.

Dar.jpeg It was not a hard decision to make or to keep. I see the savagery of those I am akin to and it sickens me, Accalia. If I cannot live among the more civilized races, then I choose to live alone rather than betray all that I believe in.

XhduJ.jpg You do your god proud Dar, and I am sure it has not gone unnoticed.

At the same time, Imoen strikes up a conversation with Hrothgar.

BWP20150105235011.jpg

Hrothgar.jpeg Imoen, that "junk" you refer to has taken me many adventuring years to collect. Each piece has a story of its own to tell.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Stories you say, but how many times can you hear a story before you get fed up with it and no longer wish to hear it ever again? Get what I mean?

Hrothgar.jpeg I get what you mean, but its not so much that my "junk" tells me stories, more than whenever I look at a piece it reminds me of the place and the way it came into my possession.

Heh. My "junk" tells stories too.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Wow. That is so sad Hrothgar. And I bet you don't even know why.

Hrothgar.jpeg I have no idea, Imoen, but I'm sure you are about to tell me!

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Because your house is full of things from the past. Looks to me like you surround yourself with your ju... shall we call them keepsakes? Because your life is no longer as exciting as it was when you were young. You have to keep these things to remind you of exciting past times. Right, Hrothgar?

Hrothgar.jpeg (*Laughs*) Imoen, wherever do you get your ideas from? I need no reminders of my youth. Those years were fraught with all the problems that being young brings. I was indeed glad to leave it behind me and take on the wisdom of age - not that I consider myself old by any means - and I will thank you young woman to afford me the same consideration.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Hey, don't go getting so uppity. I never said you were old, maybe just a little lonely. Did you never think to marry, bring a little romance and... well... a different sort of excitement to your life?

Hrothgar.jpeg Ahh, so this is what this is about, is it Imoen? You are hoping to hear a tale of some tragic love affair and that I now choose to live alone because my heart was broken by a past love. How well I remember the preoccupation of the young with love.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Well? Was there such a lady?

Hrothgar.jpeg I always thought I would marry one day, but my travels left little time for the pursuit of romance. And when I did finally decide it was time to stop my wandering, I found myself in Easthaven.

Hrothgar.jpeg There I have earned the respect of its people and have many friends, friends that I have sworn to protect, come what may. I no longer feel the cravings of youth, for what you call romance...

Hrothgar.jpeg ...and that, my dear Imoen, is all you are going to hear. No broken heart, no tragedy, in fact I am content with the way life has turned out, and I have no regrets whatsoever.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Wow, I didn't expect to hear your life story, Hrothgar. It could definitely do with some more action, what do you say? Maybe this trip will put some into it for you.

Hrothgar.jpeg (*rolls his eyes*) And may the gods protect me from the exuberance of youth on this expedition!