Successful install of BGT with new D&D Anthology

Anthology BGT

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Deekow

Deekow
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

This specifically references installing BGT-WeiDU-1.14 into Baldur's Gate 1&2 from the new Dungeons & Dragons Anthology - The Master Collection, available for purchase from Amazon in disc form.

After installing the game and trying to remain sane while playing BG 1 with horrendous resolution on my sizable, lovely monitor... I failed. A week later, upon release from the mental institution, I decided I would see if there were resolution mods that would cure my ills. While I did find a Widescreen mod, I also stumbled upon BGT. Reading up on it, I knew immediately this was a must-have. Sadly, I found another thread describing a frustrating process of attempted installation, only to resolve with the user downloading the GoG version and installing from there. Having dumped all my savings into therapy from the low-res attempt, I decided I didn't have the $20 to spend on GoG and was determined to make what I already had work. And... I did.

The following are the steps I took for a successful install, and fulfilling beginning to the game play. The other need to knows are: 1) I have very rarely modded any games in my life, and attempts usually ended in tears; 2) I am tech savvy, but not an IT major with a Ph.D. - I know how to use Google effectively, and follow instructions carefully; 3) I am using Windows 7 64-bit OS; 4) So much of this came from Vicomte's thread here; 5) This is written as "for dummies" as possible, so that everyone should be able to follow.

1. Uninstall and Reinstall Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 in a different folder (C:\Games for example). Chances are, if you weren't planning on a BGT install from the start, you installed to default Program Files directory. From what I've seen, this can be bad due to UAC concerns with XP and Win7. You -could- download and attempt an installation without doing so, since, at worst, you're going to reinstall later if it doesn't work, but I'd recommend just getting it over with now.

2. Download WeiDU and place it in your Baldur's Gate 2 main directory.

3. Rename WeiDU.exe to setup-bgt.exe (please note, under normal circumstances, you just need to rename to 'setup-bgt' (no quotes) as it will automatically append the .exe file extension. If you see it in the file list as setup-bgt.exe and it's the only file name in the directory with a file extension, rename without the .exe and verify it's still an application file type).

4. Download BGT 1.14 here. I recommend the zip file as I'm RAR illiterate and it works just dandy.

5. Extract everything from the zip file directly into your BG2 directory, ensuring that you then have the folder 'BGT' there afterwards.

6. Rename your Baldur's Gate (not BG2) to Baldurs Gate, simply removing the apostrophe. This simple step gave me no end of heartache prior to completing as it gave "invalid version or installation directory" and blocked the install from completing. Fortunately, I work in software support, where non-alphanumeric characters toss hiccups into everything and this was finally something I figured I'd try.

7. Run your setup-bgt.exe file from within BG2 directory.

8. Watch all the pretty text fly by for a few minutes... think of this as your personal ASCII fireworks show in celebration of your victory.

9. Read the readme file. Seriously, read it. There are minor known issues that I don't see removing anything from my play experience, now that I know to expect them. I might have felt differently if I kept myself ignorant of those things.

10. Enjoy the game. Really. That's what this was all about, and it's going to be oh... so... worth it.

#2 -jon-

-jon-

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

this is a great step by step process and I dig your humor :) So I have the anthology discs from Amazon as well and I am running Windows Vista. I followed your steps and when I ran the .exe file I recieved this error:

[c:\games\Baldur’s Gate II\setup-bgt.exe] WeiDU version 23100

** ERROR ** [SETUP-BGT.TP2] not found.
Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive. [C:\games\Baldur’s Gate II\setup-bgt.exe] Using scripting style “BG2

Press ENTER to exit.

can anyone help? thank you!!

#3 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

Congrats. :clap:

I'm happy for you for getting a working BGT installation using the D&D Anthology version of Baldur's Gate. I was not sure if the D&D Anthology installs the full version of the game or not, but it looks like it does.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#4 -jon-

-jon-

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

wait, I got it figured out lol. when i extracted the files it extracted to a folder within baldurs gate 2. copy and pasted files from that folder to bg2, ran .exe works like a charm! thanks!

#5 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

Do you have a folder named bgt and a file named setup-bgt.tp2 in your Baldur’s Gate II directory? If not, something went wrong when you extracted the mod. The latest version of BGT is 1.14.

EDIT: Good to hear!

Edited by hook71, 06 March 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#6 Deekow

Deekow
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

Glad to see this is well-received and that -jon- got his issue figured out. So far, I'm about half way through BG1 and everything's going without a hitch.

#7 Sai

Sai
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Keep in mind that it seems that Ascension decided to archive the BGT package in a subfolder in the archive now. You can't directly extract it, but instead have to make sure you extract the executable and the bgt directory in the archive into your Baldur's Gate 2 directory. They should be in the same directory inside the archive.

#8 -Me-Mike-

-Me-Mike-

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

thank you so much - spent nights after getting it from gamersgate.com to get it running...

#9 -Odi-

-Odi-

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

so i cant get the actual promp to accept any imput,

the bit about renaming the baldur's gate to baldurs gate, would that imply i require the original baldurs gate installed in order to use this mod?

#10 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

the bit about renaming the baldur's gate to baldurs gate, would that imply i require the original baldurs gate installed in order to use this mod?

Yes, BGT imports the BG1 game resources from a full installation of that game.

#11 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

Yes, BGT imports the BG1 game resources from a full installation of that game.

Which kind of saves BGT from having to ship a few GB with the mod, and blatant copyright infringement :P

#12 -Shanks-

-Shanks-

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:59 AM

Hey guys, I followed the OP instructions, but when I launch baldur.exe in the Baldurs Gate 2 folder, it just runs the game as Baldurs Gate 2. Am I running the right .exe? I was expecting some sort of BGT.exe or something.

#13 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

You are running the correct exe file but you need to install the GUI first by running Setup-GUI.exe. You should also run setup-bgtmusic.exe.

#14 Tormentor

Tormentor
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

Thanks muchly, you deserve a big Baldur's Gate cake for this.

Question though, does this have the tweaks and the Unfinished Business mod?.. If not, should I have installed them to their respective folders before completing your above instruction?

#15 -Alextended-

-Alextended-

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

I followed your instructions but it doesn't work for me, when running setup-bgt.exe it just briefly flashes the command window and then it closes. I print screened to see what it says and it just printed the version of bgt used and stuff, no error any other clues. I have all the files and folders as described in the BGII directory, I renamed the BG directory, and I've installed the whole thing in C:\Dungeons & Dragons Anthology\ so I dunno what's wrong. I tried renaming that to Dungeons n Dragons Anthology also in case the & was messing it up but nope. I have the Anthology from GamersGate also and I'm also using Windows 7. Other IE mods seem to work, including EasyTutu after acquiring a missing from the collection file. And all this was after a clean install, I guess I'll have to redo the process for EasyTutu again instead :(

#16 Tormentor

Tormentor
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:50 AM

Gamergate and Win7 here too and it all went off without a hitch for me.

Let's check your steps.

Weidu.exe renamed to setup-bgt.exe and in the BG2 main folder.

Bgt 1.14 unzipped and the files and folders in the ascension folder, not the folder itself , are also in the BG2 main folder.

Baldur's Gate (1st game) renamed to Baldurs Gate.

Run setup-bgt.exe

Run Setup-GUI.exe

Run setup-bgtmusic.exe

(Gui and music setup only appear after the BGT setup has been run and finished.)

Run BGMain.exe to play

That's all there is to it. Maybe trying running setup-bgt.exe as admin.

#17 -Alextended-

-Alextended-

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

Ah, hell, I might have renamed it to setup-bg.exe instead of -bgt. I'm not 100% sure. I'll redownload and try again and post again...

#18 -Alextended-

-Alextended-

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:52 AM

Nope, no go, all steps as you explained again, I had noticed that it unzips in a folder instead of the asked dump of everything in the main BGII folder before. No go running as admin either. And it was another clean install without tweaks so, I dunno :(

#19 Tormentor

Tormentor
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:06 AM

The only other thing I can think of is that your path names might be too big.. you installed under C:\Dungeons & Dragons Anthology\Baldur's gate II, I installed under e:\Games\DnDMC\Balder's Gate II.

I'd try a reinstall with a shorter path name, just to eliminate everything.

But apart from that, if you don't have UAC activated and it's not your FW or antivirus software that's interferring, then I have absolutely no clue whatsoever.

#20 -Alextended-

-Alextended-

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:05 AM

Nothing worked, will have to settle for Tutu.