EXISTANCE0 and SNDSLOT.IDS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 -Roboghost-

-Roboghost-

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Okay...when editing CRE files, I noticed that ToBEx fixes EXISTANCE5 sound slot, so we really have 6 existence sounds? I note that CHR sound for PICKED_POCKET is a picked pocket sound, but in the CRE files it is an EXISTANCE0 sound. Irritating in that if you edit the SNDSLOT.IDS you can only get one or the other to show up in NI!. Since it is usually CRE files that are modified -- it is best to modify the SNDSLOT.IDS to have both sounds as a reference. NI it gives priority to the first entry, so this means I prefer SNDSLOT.IDS to look like this for the last entries:

69 EXISTANCE0
69 PICKED_POCKET
70 EXISTANCE1
70 HIDDEN_IN_SHADOWS
71 EXISTANCE2
71 SPELL_DISRUPTED
72 EXISTANCE3
72 SET_A_TRAP
73 EXISTANCE4
74 EXISTANCE5
74 BIOGRAPHY_TEXT

Will entering EXISTANCE0 cause a bug in anyway (a wee technical question) [hopefully it will just be ignored]? Thanks!

#2 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

As you have noted in SNDSLOT.IDS, EXISTANCE0 and PICKED_POCKET occupy the same index. You can interchange these. The vanilla bug was likely that EXISTANCE sounds 0-4 were used by the engine. Hence, a picked pocket sound would play whenever the engine would call for index 0. As a result, EXISTANCE5 was never used. TobEx fixed both of these issues.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)