Photo

Overall impression

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

I've just finished Skyrim. According to my Steam account I've unlocked 44/50 achievements, meaning I've experienced 88% of the game. I am filled with awe... Although there are a few things that I didn't like, such as: encountering problems more than half the times when I tried playing offline, better orginization of the inventory than a simple scroll down menu, representation of elves(human voices for them, facial hair, human mannerisms), the game itself is amazing! I had great fun playing it. I will certainly play it again, this time loaded with mods. I experienced a very small number of glitches, none of which lessened my pleasure of the game. In fact, it is because of its quality that I am looking forward to the next Elder Scrolls, its level of perfection making me crave for an even more thorough immersion into a role playing game than I would have deemed possible before playing Skyrim!

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#2 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

In my opinion, you can never "finish" Skyrim, especially if you're still missing 6 achievements. That means there are questlines you've haven't experienced. Not to mention that with their new "radiant" quest system, you never run out of things to see, places to go, creatures to kill.
As for your technical issues, I would dig a little deeper, and try to find the root of the problem. Is your game up to date? Is your Steam client? I played Skyrim for about 2 months, offline (had moved, internet took forever to get hooked up), without a single issue.
The inventory is what it is, I'd suggest installing mods to tweak it. I suggest using this thread to find what you need, I personally use the mod that was suggested on the Escapist, and have been very happy with it. Definitely play it with mods, you'll find your experience greatly improved by them.
As for the representation of the Mer, I get where you're coming from, but I would argue that they've greatly improved simply with a different facial appearance. Mer look much more alien now in Skyrim than they did in Oblivion. I loved the Dunmers' voices in Morrowind, though. Not sure what your objection to facial hair on Mer is, though. This isn't Tolkien, this is the Elder Scrolls. Mer have always had facial hair in TES lore.

Finally, Dawnguard will be released soon, so you aren't done yet. ;)

If you enjoyed Skyrim, you might want to get Oblivion, it's loads of fun too. Just make sure you mod the beejesus out of it.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#3 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

I agree that the game never finishes. This is a big part of its charm for me. As for the tech issues, my game is up to date, as well as the Steam client. Since last month I've been having a very constant and strong (10MB-20MB) connection, so this isn't an issue. Still though, when i check if I can play offline, I encounter the same stupid Steam message that directs me to the offline option, only to inform me then that I cannot play before checking online first.

Thanks for the thread. I will look into it. I am planning a heavily modded game now with around 20-30 mods. As for the elves, this is the 1st Elder Scrolls game I play, so I am not used to this kind of elves! Not a serious issue though, although I must say i much prefer the Tolkien-like elves absence of beards!

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."