How exactly does the party transition work?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 -Arizael-

-Arizael-

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:49 AM

Hello folks. After a long time I've decided to run BG again for second time. Previously i didn't use any mods so now I've took my time and got all mods in Dan Simpson's guide up and running. Now I am happily playing but I've got recently conerned about my party composition, especialy regarding their transfer to SOA.

My party in BG1 should look like that:
1) Protagonist Sorcerer
2) Imoen Dual-class Thief/Mage
3) Jaheira Fighter/Druid
4) Khalid Fighter/Mage
5) Viconia Cleric
6) Vacant spot for NPC quests, later may be filled with an archer or tank

I don't want to pick Minsc/Dynaheir since I am already a sorceror and don't want anoter pure mage in my party. However I do want Minsc in SoA.
So finaly the question: What will happen to Minsc in SoA if I won't finish BG1 with him ? Will he still be in his cage or will he simply dissapear?

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

So finaly the question: What will happen to Minsc in SoA if I won't finish BG1 with him ? Will he still be in his cage or will he simply dissapear?

Well, Minsc will be in his cage in the dungeon where Irenicus will lock you to. The others depend on what mods you install, as there's a few mods that overwrite the default locations... and Viconia for example is going to be outside the starting dungeon in the default BGII start location, but if you change her class, that change will stay with her.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 20 September 2012 - 07:33 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

When transitioning to SoA from BG1, the following apply:
1. All NPC's will be in all their normal places
2. All changes (class, stats) and XP will carry over if the NPC is in the party at the time of transition.

So if you change Viconia into a Fighter/Cleric and play the entire game with her in your party (maybe racking up 130k XP) and also giving her f.e +1 WIS and +1 STR (via books/manuals), but then ditch her before transition - she will be vanilla Viconia in SoA with vanilla XP.

On the other hand, if you pick up Minsc early in the game and leave him immediately and the have him join at transition he will bring that paltry XP (like 3k?) to SoA. If you pick him up and leave him and transition without him, he will have vanilla XP.

If you use the L1NPC component "Joinable NPCs more closely match the player character's experience" you can even leave, say Viconia, alone (i.e never recruiting her) for the entire BG1 saga, and then recruit her just before transition. She will then get XP matching your own (probably well over 100k) which she will retain in SoA. :)

Edited by Dakk, 20 September 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#4 Nocturne

Nocturne
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

What happens if someone is dead?

For example, I am unsure how I'm going to resolve the Minsc/Dynaheir/Edwin-dilemma. I want Edwin in my party in both bg1 and 2, but I also want Minsc to be in the starting dungeon for completeness' sake. I assume that if someone dies and then stays dead (i.e. getting "chunked" or dropped out of the party upon death) upon transition they will disappear from SoA - is this true? Can someone be killed, then ressurected, then dropped out of the party and remain in SoA?

Edited by Nocturne, 16 January 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

We'll if they are dead, then the vanilla BG2 is what will happen, as does for Khalid and Dynaheir(as they are supposed to be dead in the BG2 start, yes there's mods to revert that too...). So if you Kill Minsc, you'll get him back at the BG2 begining, and the fool will still offer to join and help you.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#6 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

And remember that the 'Import more NPCs into Shadow of Amn' component of BGT Tweaks allows for transition of some non-BG2 NPCs. If the code hasn't changed since its early days, they'll have the exact same experience, stats and gear that they had when you left them in BG1 (if they are still alive), whether or not they were in your party at transition.

If you never met them in BG1, then they'll have their starting stats, etc. from BG1. If you use L1NPCs mod component "Joinable NPCs more closely match the player character's experience", they'll advance up to the closest XP for your BG2 party.

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#7 Nocturne

Nocturne
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Ah, I see. Another poster on Gamebanshee claimed that if someone dies in Bg1 (besides Imoen), they wont appear in BG2. I can understand if people want to have different characters in Irencus' dungeon, though in my case, 'Tis obviously not a problem, so I aint complaining... ;) Minsc/Jaheira/Imoen was always my favorite chars (I pretty much ran with the canonical party in BG1!). :) I suppose they'll lose their charm after the umpteenth playthrough, though. Luckily 'Tis only my 2nd. ;)

Aye, I know that Azazello, but thanks. :)

I personally feel that the BG2 cast is far superior to the BG1 cast, but see above. :)

Cheers lads. :cheers:

Edited by Nocturne, 17 January 2013 - 03:27 PM.