Photo

Persistent freezes (especially upon pause/unpause, sometimes spell-cas

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

I'm making a new topic for this one because it's a worse issue than the variety of bugs I report elsewhere and because I'd like to possibly get some help with this :)

My logs are available here: http://www.shsforums...aitsimbalances/ as long as a list of other bugs I've bumped into, just in case those could be of help.

Like the topic says, I'm having my game freeze for various amounts of time at more and more moments. Usually during fights, especially if I try to pause/unpause the game, but sometimes without pause as well. Sometimes it's a quick freeze and lets go, sometimes it's not. A window's cursor appears in the thinking mode.

One time it froze during a difficult fight and I really didn't want to lose it, but it wouldn't unfreeze for a longer while so I went and prepared dinner. It actually unfroze after, so it ranges anywhere from 10+ seconds to a few minutes of a freeze.

Any idea what to do? :<

#2 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

I see a lot of these because of auto-pause when enemy in sight. When the enemy is an SCS high-level mage he'll have chain contingency and spell sequencer going off instantly at the same time the game is paused and I think the freezes come from this, too many effects queue'd or something.

No idea how to fix that besides pausing less often. Probably engine-related and unlikely to be ever fixed.
Random spambot #8434678 said :

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

Any idea what to do? :<

Try the 25 of these.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:09 AM

@ Beleg

The issue happens with stupid magic-less enemies as well. Spiders or other fodder. A tiny tiny crashes [rarely] happen with no enemies and just my team casting spells (vanilla, unmodded ones). It is much more prominent and often though when there are many enemies in the fight. House Jae'llat or the fight with king fish something in the Sahuagin city were troublesome. But then I got big issues with spider fight from Solaufein mod and there was hardly anything going on here, unless the spiders' AI is straining as well. I know they have some special scripts there.

Not pausing the game is not a total freeze-prevention, just seems to lessen it a little. But it's really difficult to play without pause, especially if I have to move and remove some of the part from the battle or kite some enemies :P I'll try turning auto-pause on enemy sighted and see if anything's better.

@ Jarno
I'll take a look, thanks.

Haha! 22 look sooooo familliar. I'm not sure if I wasn't the inventor of that one, cause I have a feeling I at least made serious contribution there few years ago :D

EDIT: Nope. Did all of those points that I could, didn't help. Got tiny freezes fighting 2 beholders. Even turned off the party AI and didn't pause once. Oh well, I suppose it's some AI from some mod out there being too hard to process. Don't see another explanation really.

Edited by Echo, 26 September 2012 - 01:30 AM.

#5 Demtrek

Demtrek
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:09 AM

Funny you wrote this. I was just coming here to find a solution after a 10 min pause. Same problem here, but Im still in the first 3 or 4 chapters of BG1.

It always seems to unlock just depends how much you want to wait. I know this last one was the longest Ive seen. 10 mins felt like a hour.

Im guessing it is a AI problem as well, I definatly notice it more when I pause/ unpause.

Edited by Demtrek, 26 September 2012 - 02:11 AM.

#6 phlaphee

phlaphee
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:41 AM

I've been having this issue ever since version 10 came out. And this is the very first topic I read about this problem. Good to know the game recovers after some time, I actually kill the game's process after 3 minutes or something (impatient one indeed).

#7 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:48 AM

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue. May be easier to find the culprit :)

@ phlaphee

Yeah sometimes it may be worth a wait, but sometimes I just kill the process as well if I don't consider my achievements in given fight worth the wait... It is good to know it's not lost though in case you were doing sooo well and not want to restart :D

Edited by Echo, 26 September 2012 - 03:50 AM.

#8 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:53 AM

EDIT: Nope. Did all of those points that I could, didn't help. Got tiny freezes fighting 2 beholders. Even turned off the party AI and didn't pause once. Oh well, I suppose it's some AI from some mod out there being too hard to process. Don't see another explanation really.

Well, the point 23 is a diagnostic one... so it should give you a lot of info, too much usually... so you didn't do all the points. :P
And if it's anything related to the AI, it will definitely show up !!!

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 26 September 2012 - 03:54 AM.

#9 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:30 AM

Haha, I've read "And if you know your way around coding a .tp2 file and have file name knowledge" and skipped that point like a boss :D I have no idea what .tp2 files are not to mention doing anything about them...

From what I understand I should install this LStest mod (the thing that doesn't seem to require me to dabble in foreign code) and try to report anything that pops up during the fight?

#10 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

Haha, I've read "And if you know your way around coding a .tp2 file and have file name knowledge" and skipped that point like a boss :D I have no idea what .tp2 files are not to mention doing anything about them...

From what I understand I should install this LStest mod (the thing that doesn't seem to require me to dabble in foreign code) and try to report anything that pops up during the fight?

Yes. Easy enough. Take caution not to use the same save game slots after you install the LStest as you probably want to have a bugfree-er game, not one filled with them... so the in game cinematics work for example.

PS: The .tp2 file is the file all the mods come with, the setup-*modname*.tp2 gives the weidu.exe that's renamed as setup-*modname*.exe orders to execute weidu commands, usually used to install mods/mod components.

#11 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Okie, I'm a Super N00b so I don't know how I should "--change-log the file" and I saw no LStest log anywhere so I took 3 screenshots that I attached here.

1st is without any fight at all, game runs smoothly. Captured some blocks.

2nd and 3rd are beholders. Those gauth blocks were runnin SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fast, it was maybe 1 round then 100-200 gauth blocks then another round or something. I don't know if that's how it should be or not. But after the fight ended those blocks kept spamming in that ridiculously fast pace with no enemies in sight anywhere. And after the fight game ran smoothly, even though it lagged during the fight.

I don't know how I should use that mod to be of any help, but I don't think I could even play the game with this mod active because I'd get some epilepsy or another from the craaaazy text flowing :P

Attached Files

• Attached File  deb.7z   1.6MB   205 downloads

#12 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

Haha! 22 look sooooo familliar. I'm not sure if I wasn't the inventor of that one, cause I have a feeling I at least made serious contribution there few years ago :D

Is that you Darpaek? :ph34r:

I just checked those blocks (though if something modified them, the blocks I checked might be different than yours :P) but they seem to be just complex AI stuff voodoo things that I can't wrap around :crying: (but they still wouldn't stutter because of looping variables)

Could extremely long BG scripts be hanging up your CPU time and causing the stutters? :o

Can you Alt+Tab out of BG, start the Windows task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del and Start Task manager)
Then go into the Process Tab and right click on BGMain.exe... set priority to High
Go back into the game and check whether it helped? :P

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#13 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

Task manager I do know :D But nu, didn't help one bit :(

#14 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

Always worked for me in Oblivion and Supreme Commander :P Ah well... <insert innane unproven rant about old Oblivi... I mean BGII engine> :(

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#15 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

Okie, I'm a Super N00b so I don't know how I should "--change-log the file" and I saw no LStest log anywhere ...

Well, the --change-log can be found on the same topic, but it's this. But I already know that majority of those are from the BP180 mod...

#16 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Does that mean though that BP 180 is broken in my install or does the problem likely lies elsewhere?

#17 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

Does that mean though that BP 180 is broken in my install or does the problem likely lies elsewhere?

Well, I suspect that the BP is just the last straw that breaks the camels back so to speak, but there are other problems as well with combining the SCS'es and the BP.

#18 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:30 AM

I guess nothing to be done about it then :(

#19 Demtrek

Demtrek
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Anyone have anymore information on this game freezing bug?  This is my 5th install this year and all 5 have had this problem.

Seems to always happen when spells are being cast.  Could it be one of those spell graphic enhancement mods?

Right now Im using "Tactics" version.  Is anyone running a different version where they dont encounter this bug?

Im mid way through BG1 for the 5th time and its just simply unplayable anymore.  More spells being cast is causing many more freezes.

I used to wait it out but now Im finding its either taking longer.....or simply the game stops responding.

#20 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

Seems to always happen when spells are being cast.  Could it be one of those spell graphic enhancement mods?
I would recommend that you make a new topic of your own with your Weidu.log's content and the baldur.ini's content in it.