Dialogue Init Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

Hi,

I have a very rare problem supposed to be patched with the TOB patch, but still happened with my Megamod Install. The Installation itself is ok because I have played 2 Characters with it before, and no such problem.
Now I am playing a Multiplayer Party and no Singleplayer. I have reached General Ghotals Tomb in NTotSC. No matter if I enter the grave with or without the sword, Ghotals Dialogue does not start. The game drops into an odd state where I cannot even pause nor save; I also cannot talk to anyone including Ghotal. I cannot leave the area anymore. Worse, when I load an earlier savegame, the bug remains... The only thing that works is exiting the game and loading after. No problems then.

I have found this bug on the Bioware Forums in a Single Topic without solution. My Guess is it is related to the PC or some random variable. I do not think it is a Ghotal Problem. I have exchanged the Neutral Ghotal with an Enemy one (the second instance from deeper in the grave) but the bug remains.

Any Ideas here?

PS: no Weidu.log posted because I have an evidently working installation. This problem did not happen in my 2 Singleplayer games.

#2 TDouglas

TDouglas

Unwashed Wildling

• 121 posts

Donator

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

I had that problem ages ago ... ended up being Turambor fixes that was the culprit. I found a thread on it (somewhere) ... basically, the way the mod was written you're supposed to loose XP if you enter the sword cave first, then go to Ghotals tomb (it doesn't matter if you actually have the sword or not).

Sadly, the only fixes I can tell you to try are (1) load an earlier save game and go to Ghotal's tomb first or (2) reinstall and leave out Turamburs fixes mod. If there's some other fix for this problem I've not heard of it :huh:

Sorry no better news, but the save game might work (if you have one from before you went to the sword tomb).

#3 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

I have tried an autosave from the map before and a quicksave from in front of the grave, both do not help.

Turambar Fixes? I have seen in the dialogue that the XP Modification was replaced with a spell that applies negative XP, but that looks like it should happen after a check for the sword, and after the dialogue.

Edited by Bloodtitan, 25 November 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#4 TDouglas

TDouglas

Unwashed Wildling

• 121 posts

Donator

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Like I said, it's been ages. And if you've already been in the cave where his sword is stashed it's too late :huh: .

Way back when, I was too lazy to try to figure out which component (exactly) of the fixes was causing the problem. I could avoid it by not installing the NToSC components. However, a later upgrade moved the problem child to somewhere else in the mod (never tried to figure out exactly what the issue was ... NToSC happens too early in a megamod install to deal with it gracefully :P ). So I just quit installing it altogether. Of course, I'm not so lazy these days :whistling: :devil: .

If memory serves, the original problem is that the game engine balked at granting negative XP (or so the threads I read had to say). Without the fixes installed, I can do the quests in either order with no problems (I run in multiplayer as well).

Hmmm, if you're feeling adventurous, you could start a new single player game and do the same thing (get the sword first, then go kill Ghotal) to see if it still lets you do it. If so, you could try to get in touch with Turambur (or whoever is maintaining the mod these days) with both savegames ... maybe they'd be able to figure the problem out? Worth a shot :D

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

It shouldn't matter if this is done in multiplayer or single... hmm, you might want to try this out by copying the save from the "mpsave" folder to the "save" folder, they are in the game folder, and there try to produce the "idiot state" in single player, and then if it won't happen, go and copy it back and continue from there on by reversing the trick.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 25 November 2012 - 02:59 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#6 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:48 AM

I will try that, Jarno. SP and MP have different ways of handling pause. In MP, pause clicks are often ignored, autopause may happen later or not at all. This dialogue is triggering a pause after all.

I always get the Sword before i go to Gothals Tomb - but i almost always drop it in front of it. This time I also tried bringing it, but same bug.

#7 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Slight delay, I will finish Candlekeep first and see if there's a chapter trigger somewhere that I violated against.

#8 TDouglas

TDouglas

Unwashed Wildling

• 121 posts

Donator

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

How'd you get anywhere near Ghotal without finishing Candlekeep? The dialog with Shaella (sp?) requires it for the book of unknowing (so what's his name lurking beside her can pounce and give you the quest). Are we being naughty with the CLUA console? :devil:

#9 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

hm?

you talk to shaella and get to know about the book. when you have disposed of sarevok's top floor guards and get the ancient knowledge tome from eltan, go to the larswood tower and talk to the mage. he will attack you. you get the dagger from his chest to enter the tomb where ghotals sword is hidden. the other key you need for it is the ring of the grave, which you get from the black hand cult leader at his temple. to get to the temple you only need to clear the field of the dead and finish durlags tower.
it is not necessary to finish candlekeep.
are we being naughty with not having our facts straight? i may not have a lot of posts but check my user id. it's pretty low, i am no newbie.

on topic: this is a multiplayer problem. copying a fitting save to the singleplayer saves folder will help. when you enter ghotals tomb then, the dialog will still not start automatically but you can walk to ghotal and speak to him. everything will work from that point. of course you can copy back the save to mpsave after finishing the grave and play on normally.
i suspect that the multiplayer code cannot handle turambars fix.