Photo

*spoilers* Impossible final battle in BG2 with BiG World Setup.

Irenicus Hell Final Battle BG2 BWS Big World Big World Setup Improved Irenicus

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Salladhor

Salladhor
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

Hi!

I've been playing the BiG World Setup casually, and so far everyting has been balanced and fair.

But in Hell, where you face Irenicus, the mods make the battle impossible.

As soon as Irenicus summons, he casts these spells:

• (precast)
  • Stoneskin
  • Protection from Magical Energy
  • Protection from Cold, Electricity, Fire, and Elements
  • Spell Trap
  • Immunity: Divination
  • Globe of Invulnerability
  • Improved Invisibility
  • Mirror Image
  •  
  • Improved Haste
  • ~
  • Chain Contingency (takes effect immediately)
  • Protection from Magical Weapons
  • Improved Haste (again)
  • Immunity: Abjuration

After that he casts two timestops and proceeds to kill my entire party.

His Immunity: Abjuration blocks remove and dispel magic, Immunity: Divination blocks true sight, so there's no way for me to dispel his protections. The only thing that has worked is Ruby ray of reversal, but after I've casted that he still has tons of protections and casts his timestop and kills everybody. If I somehow manage to survive that, he casts a second time stop after that. I've managed to get him near death with Imoen's traps, but can't finish him because of his protections and fast regeneration (and health potions).

I've tried several cheese tactics, but they don't work with this improved irenicus. I've tried to run in circles around the map, so his protection spells would disappear, but he's too quick and casts powerword stun. I could protect myself against that, but he just dispels all my buffs. I could protect myself against his dispels, but then he casts slow.  I've also tried to retreat to the southern stairs, and just wait, but somehow he knows we are there.

My highest party member is only level 18, so I don't have any lvl 9 spells.

I think this is part of SCS2, Tactics or Ascencion mods, but I am not sure which.

I want to disable the mod that's doing this and just fight the vanilla Irenicus, but don't know what folder to delete to deactivate this mod.

Could anybody help?

Related forum posts:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Baldur039s-Gate-1-and-2/Baldur039s-Gate-2-and-Throne-of-Bhaal-Official-Campaigns-Spoilers-Warning/SCS2-Irenicus-battle-in-hell-7738125-1.html

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=20638&hl=irenicus

#2 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

One of SCSII's components specific to mages is likely the culprit, if not "improved Irenicus" (there's one for that, too, isn't there?). I would choose the option for mages to never instantly cast spells at start of battle, and not install improved Irenicus. Good luck with this!

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#3 Salladhor

Salladhor
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I see there's a folder named "ii" in SCSII folder, which I suspect is the Improved Irenicus folder and there's also a folder named "mage". How do I uninstall these? I've tried to remove the whole SCSII folder, or only the "ii" folder for the duration of the fight, but it doesn't do anything. 

#4 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

It doesn't do anything because installed mods are in the data or override-folder and removing content from there by hand without knowing what you do likely damages your game.
Removing extracted files that are needed for installation are nothing but source-code, installation instructions for weidu and some other files.

Either use the setup-scsii.exe and remove the component that you think is the culprit or wait for someone that knows about scsii (or ask at the scsii-forum).
By the way, your weidu.log would be helpful to detect if you need to consider other stuff. Ah, and maybe one would ask you for some changelog on the opponents script-file to adjust the "fighting-habits".
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#5 mr fantastic

mr fantastic
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

This battle is ment to be super hard, can you post weidu log. You have to have some tactic mods there.....if you were using tactic install you must have  loads of mods installed....that brings me to conclusion...how is that possible your highest party member is only level 18 o.O   ???  DingoExperienceFixer might have adjusted experience recieved to 25 % should be 50 for a 6 member party.

You need to have 9lvl spells, time stop is a most. 

There are always cheat keys, and if you feel bad about it-don't, you'll get him next time :) So press that ctrl+y and enjoy ToB ;)

I wanted infravison like the elves...But 'tis more than just taking their eyes

-Xzar

#6 Salladhor

Salladhor
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Hey, thanks for the replies!

The battle is just too hard for my tastes and completely on a different difficulty than any fight I've experienced before this and my party just isn't that good for the fight as I have played quite casually.

Weidu log doesn't show anything relevant to Irenicus or Hell or Slayer or anything, but SETUP-SCSII.DEBUG does. 

I ran SETUP-SCSII.exe and tried to remove Improved Irenicus by pressing "N" when prompted this (this is from SETUP-SCSII.DEBUG):

Install Component [Improved Irenicus in Hell (Tactics remix)]?
[N]o, [Q]uit or choose one:
 1] Tactics-SCSII hybrid
 2] Faithful adaptation of the Tactics version
Already Asked About [Improved Irenicus in Hell (Tactics remix)]
[./override/dw#AIsetup.mrk] loaded, 114 bytes

but it didn't do anything for the fight, which is weird, because I'm almost sure that's the mod that's affecting this. 

Also you mentioned about the experience. I've noticed that I get, I think, 62,5% of the experience I should get (in vanilla). For example, where I should get 36 000 exp for a quest, I get only 22 500 exp. Do you know what mod makes that and how to remove it? I have no idea how to get any more exp in BG2 as I have done almost all quests I can think of.

Bleh, I'm seriously contemplating CTRL+Y and moving to ToB but I would really like to kill Irenicus with "my own hands". :/

Edit: Also, I checked the Smarter mages mod

Install Component [Smarter Mages]?
[R]e-install, [N]o Change, [U]ninstall, [Q]uit or choose one:
 1] Mages cast some short-duration spells instantly at start of combat, to simulate pre-battle casting
 2] Mages only cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat if they are created in sight of the PC
 3] Mages never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat (currently installed)
Already Asked About [Smarter Mages]
Already Asked About [Smarter Mages]

As you can see, I have option 3 selected, but Irenicus still casts instant spells at the start of the combat. Any thoughts?

Edited by Salladhor, 09 January 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#7 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Ok I hope you're absolutely clear on this, there's an EXTREMELY high chance you'll literally make your BGII install pudding by uninstalling something from the middle of a BWP install :unsure:

Now to uninstall something, press [U] when its component shows up :)

Brotip: Just summon your Bhaalpowers and Ctrl+Y that pimped up Jon :D Or CLUAConsole:SetCurrentXP(<insert number of XP here>) to up your guys to level whatever (seriously not worth the hassle of reinstalling stuff)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#8 Salladhor

Salladhor
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Oh oh... 

I can't believe it.

I just tried to CTRL+Y him. He didn't even die to that!

I tried CTRL+R to dispel him and then CTRL+Y. NO! NO EFFECT. And then he slaughtered everyone. There truly is no greater villain than Irenicus.

When installing, there's no option "U" to Uninstall the mod. There are "[N]o", "[Q]uit" or ability to choose "1. Tactics-SCSII hybrid" or  "2. Faithful adaptation of the Tactics version." which are both even harder than this one. I hope this wasn't the end of BG for me.

Edit: And for the record, I do have console command on. It says that "Slayer: 1145 damage taken" and he's near death, but he doesn't die. wtf.

Edit2: I just read that it doesn't work for some enemies, like demogorgon. I guess Irenicus is one of them.

Edited by Salladhor, 09 January 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#9 rbx4

rbx4
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

I haven't played the particular mod that you mentioned, at least not lately, but I can give some general tips. I've actually killed the unmodded Irenicus at the Tree of Life (I'm assuming this is the fight you are talking about) using just 2 skeleton warriors and a nishruu before.

Generally the only thing that Irenicus should be seeing is a summoned monster. If he sees a party member, then you're doing it wrong or have an unusual situation. Usually he will waste both of his Time Stop spells on the first summoned monster that he sees.

If for some reason he has a scripted unlimited supply of Death Spell, then just make sure that he only sees a character who is wearing the Cloak of Mirroring. *Death Ward is also very helpful in keeping you alive. Your best archer with a set of Boots of Speed can run in and use an Arrow of Dispelling once in a while to clear out the protections. The other set of Boots of Speed can go to Imoen so that she can use Breach when needed. Eventually he should become vulnerable to physical damage, and may simply run out of spells. If he's not vulnerable to physical damage at all, then pick something such as acid or poison damage and slowly wear him down after he runs out of spells.

Other, cheesy, methods include having Imoen stand there with the Staff of the Magi (Spell Trap enabled) and all other protections you have, and have her use the staff to turn invisible while he's in the middle of casting a spell that isn't Time Stop. I think one mod has him summon tons of monsters, and then you might need to get creative with running away from them and destroying them when convenient.

I suspect this is the Kiara-Zaiya mod with Improved Irenicus, which is definitely much tougher than unmodded Irenicus.

Edited by rbx4, 09 January 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#10 Salladhor

Salladhor
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

I'm sorry if I was unclear, this is in Hell, after you kill Irenicus at the Tree of Life. Tree of Life was super easy, just a few dispels and hack and slash after that.

This is completely different. I've tried all. Nothing seems to work. Jon also seems to have unbelieveable thaco, so every hit misses. And Staff of Magi, arrows of dispelling have been removed from the game for being too imba. Unfortunately I don't have cloak of mirroring, and can't go back because I'm in hell. I just can't seem to get even that 1 point of damage to him.

#11 rbx4

rbx4
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Definitely that sounds like an installation for true masochists. Definitely I'd never recommend anything like that on the first playthrough. I'd start with running all 6 party members away immediately, however. If he can't see them, he can't destroy them during Time Stop. The summoned monsters can stand around and keep the demons and Irenicus distracted. You are given a few scrolls that are useful in Suldanesselar, such as Time Stop, etc. that should prove useful in all this. Once he's used his really frustrating abilities and IF he isn't immune to Time Stop like certain ToB bosses, then you should be able to get that 1 hit point out of the way during a Time Stop at least. Eventually you should roll a 20. Finally, if he has Absolute Immunity up or something like that, then wait for that to expire while you're running away.

Some of the tactics mods are easier if you use a lot of Teleport Field, plus cheesing it up with Project Image, etc., but during your run I'd recommend Control-Y and then using something to get that 1 hp out of the way. This is because of that insane regeneration , which is beyond what your party can handle with what you have in terms of spells and gear.

For instance, what does Ring of the Ram do with that 1 hp?

If he's just proving nearly impossible to beat, you can be incredibly cheesy by using Control-R to heal up your party members and even resurrect them.

Edited by rbx4, 09 January 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#12 -Sweetdeath-

-Sweetdeath-

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Maybe with wand of fog u can get some chance to defeat Irenicus, so he try to cast some spell and he lost it... after that use your wand of summoning to distract him or the others enemies... of course, u cant say who are your team neither... so make some strat with only that info is pretty ugly (as if i can look your game at your side), well... maybe u need to increase your level with another mods, i always play with some rogue (or subclass) his/her traps helps a lot and the backstabb give more chance (i thintk remember that the big beholder wasnt inmune to this)...

Anyway, more info and u can get more tactics from any here... good luck.

Regards,

#13 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Since you have uninstalled the mod but it still applies, there is a small possibility that in your current Saved Game it has already "stored" the improved Irenicus.

Perhaps you might have a Save Game some time before that, and see if the Improved Irenicus still shows up.

If you just want to continue the story, you can also download my Misc Mods, there should be an Uberweapon there that you can then CLUAConsole:CreateItem into the game. It should be effective.

Edited by Zyraen, 09 January 2013 - 09:33 PM.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#14 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

Slayer form Irenicus probably has an item equipped that grants him invulnerability (from everything, even Ctrl + Y). Most cases where that happens, you just gotta wait it out (until slayer form exhausts?)
When installing, there's no option "U" to Uninstall the mod. There are "[N]o", "[Q]uit" or ability to choose "1. Tactics-SCSII hybrid" or  "2. Faithful adaptation of the Tactics version." which are both even harder than this one. I hope this wasn't the end of BG for me.
You can still uninstall using U even if the option doesn't show :P I reiterate that it's a really bad idea though :ph34r:

There's not much you can do if Ctrl+Y doesn't work on him though...

CLUAConsole some meat shields (planetars, fire giants, friggin Drizzt even :D) Sorry for not having codes for them right now but people here might tell you :) Anyway, let the meatshields take the hits until slayer form wears off and thne hurl on Irenicus like crazy with whatever you got :unsure:

EDIT: The hell is wrong with the quote tags here? :blink:

Edited by Lollorian, 10 January 2013 - 05:15 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Irenicus, Hell, Final Battle, BG2, BWS, Big World, Big World Setup, Improved Irenicus