BiG World Setup: Let's call it gamma.

BWS IWD IWDII PST

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

The configuration of the BWS will not be updated by me any more. So it may differ to a current BWP-install.

"New" release

Due to an old request and another new one, I made some major changes and introduce more bugs and features:

Added:
  • Handle IWD1+II and PST.
  • Automatic detection of IWDI+II and PST-games.
  • Testing for IWDI+II and PST-version.
  • Put slidely improved/compacted folder-detection into own function.
  • Added menus, context-menus and accelerators for better usage in mod-administration.
  • Use them to either open or test urls, files, sizes, tests.
  • Test URLs, filenames and sizes and optionally adjust values to the given result.
  • Improved testing before saving.
  • Added editor to manage the installation-order with menus, accels, testing before saving entries and move/add/delete/edit/cut/paste entries.
  • (Re)added editor to manage dependencies with menus, accels, tests and so on.
  • Rewritten GUI creation to fit to different games. Added translations/hints for those games.
  • Changed:
    • Moved configuration-files, lots of changed variables to keep up with that.
    • Previous folder-selections are the initial directory for browsing somewhere else.
    • Redesigned the mod-administration.
    • Don't only display the mods name but also the setup when fetching translations (seems more convinient). Use same method to edit-items.
    So you can install a modded PST, IWD1 and IWD2. If you can help me out with classic adventures or something, that might get added as well.
    And you should be able to edit the BWS-install without having to edit text-files.
    That means you can also add new mods you'd like to have, fiddle with the the install-sequence, components and so on.

At least I managed to set the mods, components, dependencies and the sequence by those editors. There are a few things you still cannot do with it, but it should suffice for the major things you'd do.
    Since this is brand-new, there might be some errors in there, so if you want to try, please make sure to save often. You'll also have to exit and reload if you add mods to have the other parts recognize those things.

I hope those editors are self-explaining since I did not have time to put a help in there.
    You get some feedback if there's something "considerably" wrong if you try to save.

I also did not update to BWP 11.3 since I obviously had little spare time.
    BWS will copy your PST-files onto your hdd if you didn't already do that.
    All those modding-stuff was fetched from here/g3/sorcerers and I just slightly tweaked that, so there might be some errors in the sequence/missing mods/dependencies and so on. If you got suggestions or hints on improving those, please help me out.

The installation went fine (no errors, no warning) for all new games, but I didn't actually played or looked at the debug-files.

Ah, well, have fun.

Edited by dabus, 20 July 2013 - 09:49 AM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#2 cc4

cc4
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Looks very nice.

There is an issue with trying to customize the compilation, which cause an error/crush http://i46.tinypic.com/33kbpkw.jpg

Also two minor suggestions:

1. Not certain if its already in(couldn't check) but considering all the work you did on the installation process. You might want to have a compilation save/load feature, this way people can both reuse and share their configuration. 

2. You may want to add the 'generalized biff' to the install, either as optional button with a warring on the summary screen at the end(where customary people put the check box for 'ReadMe' and 'lunch application' is put) or some other screen where you can "finalize" your install.(maybe where the restore button is).

Edited by cc4, 12 February 2013 - 12:37 AM.

#3 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

I kind of forgot about that one... I added it since exit and resume an install would crash when testing PST/IWD/IWD2.

Open BiG World Setup\Includes\16_Select-Tree,au3.
Go to line 260. Remove this block:
; Debug!!!
$Setup[0][3]=21
ConsoleWrite($Setup[0][3]+1 & @CRLF)

Have to test a bit and try if that resume-part still needs fixing or if the problem vanished I once had,

Compilations are implemented since... a few years I guess. :D Look at the options-menu and you should see it. At least I'd guess that's what you mean.
I was thinking about adding a check for items in your override-folder and asking if it's exceeded and you don't use the mod,
I'd guess all recent selections have that mod selected though. So if it's out, it's either deselected by the user, not selected after adding mods to the "Total happiness"-preselection or using "Arkenor's Adventure Picks" (which does not use it - don't know why he didn't pick it),

Edited by dabus, 12 February 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Let me guess, your next intention is to throw away the gamma, and rename the program as BiG World Manager...

And you make the game selection much like the Infinity Engine Savegame Editor, in short:
iese1.png
But you add in the backup folders, then you add in the projects, like: BWP, The Classic Adventures, the Icewind Dale in BG2, EasyTUTU, and of course the Shadow Hand, the BG:EE etc.

And then make them all use the same resources as they share a lots. Now, when the player wants to make a Setup for a game, they have an option to view the old ones as well, they just use the resources available... say one already had a BWP based game with a backup, and they want to make a IwDinBGII game, the program asks the user for a setup folder, then it copies the file it needs from the BGII backup and other folders, it also uses the IwD backup folder or if the actual folder is clean, then it uses that and makes the IwDinBGII install process based on those ... And the program can also approximate the required space while it's at it. And of course it let's you to keep your old BWP based game while it makes a new one.

And then you let the insanity to ensue.

:devil: :twisted: :devil: :twisted: :devil:

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 12 February 2013 - 12:54 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#5 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

No I'd rename it to delta. Because I'm too lazy to think of anything complicated like a new name for that script.
Adding pictures/icons to an overview might be possible.
Adding other mods to build a tc/megamod should be possible, too.

But I lost you when it came to creating games from several files/folders. It sounded like you wanted the BWS to do the modding, but in that case I'd rather decline.

#6 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

But I lost you when it came to creating games from several files/folders. It sounded like you wanted the BWS to do the modding, but in that case I'd rather decline.

Erhm, the mods make the modding, but they need clean base folders to create database... as the IwDinBG2 copies the BGII folders content, adds to it the IwD folders content and then refines the data to suit to the BGII's engine, the EasyTUTU does the exact same thing (if you use the correct options on it, as it also allows you to install it in the BGII folder) but to the BG1 & BGII folders... the mod installs do all the hard work, the what follows is then the BWS's work. The Classic Adventure is like the BG2 Fixpack & BP ruleset and the new story arc mod in one package.

Yes, they need their own install folders, and here's where the BWS can use it's backup system to give them their clean folders even if one has installed a BWP based game already.

#7 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Hmm, so you mean you'd like to have a combination of backup/restore/multi-install.
Folder A contains a modded game.
A backup was made.
The files from A are copied to folder B, backup is restored to that folder and mods are applied to that folder B while the modded game in folder A stays intact..

I wonder why you'd want to put IWD into BG2... just because of the better engine?

#8 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

The files from A are copied to folder B, backup is restored to that folder and mods are applied to that folder B while the modded game in folder A stays intact..

Exactly.

I wonder why you'd want to put IWD into BG2... just because of the better engine?

Well, I have no idea, but yes I am talking about this project... well, I like the BG2's kits and dialog system quite lot, so yes the engine

#9 cc4

cc4
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Compilations are implemented since... a few years I guess. :D Look at the options-menu and you should see it. At least I'd guess that's what you mean.
I meant an option to save/load them, which I just found in the form of export/import the 'Options' menu(along with several other nice features I wasn't aware of)

What about view options, in the previous version it was sorted by component type, while right now it's sorted by install order. Any chance you will re-add this sort to the options->view or you intend us to use the mark option instead?

I was thinking about adding a check for items in your override-folder and asking if it's exceeded and you don't use the mod,
I'd guess all recent selections have that mod selected though. So if it's out, it's either deselected by the user, not selected after adding mods to the "Total happiness"-preselection or using "Arkenor's Adventure Picks" (which does not use it - don't know why he didn't pick it)
That would be great. In the recent BWS (I can't find a version number anywhere to be more specific) it wasn't part of the recommended complication either. I assumed that you guys didn't want to added it due to the warning in the FAQ or some other problem and had to add it manually. (which improved loading times considerably from more than 10min to ~10sec)

Edited by cc4, 13 February 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#10 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Fixed some bugs and updated to BWP v11.3

#11 disari

disari
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

your new pkg.  will not install it says vbs  missing.

#12 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Corrected.

#13 disari

disari
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

that was quick thanks darlin.

#14 Nocat

Nocat
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

Is anyone else getting this error when running this newest version?

Spoiler

I do not get it with the 20130117 version and earlier.

#15 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

So what did you do to make that happen?
I guess. you've got a mod.ini.gz in your download-folder, but no files in you BiG World Setup\Updata-folder. Delete the file from the download folder and try again.

#16 Nocat

Nocat
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:21 AM

I really thought I had checked for that before posting this message. Sorry for wasting your time and thank you.

#17 Tzarnal

Tzarnal
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:11 AM

I seem to be in an endless loop trying to get past the language selection and being unable to do so, neither customizng mod selection or continue from the basic setup screen seem to want to let me progress. I've gone so far as to just select all possible languages. No deal.

What am I missing ?

#18 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:08 AM

@Nocat:
I'll have a look at the problem before the next release. I was just thinking: if the file was downloaded before, it should be unpacked already. That would be the next step and it seemed logical to me to not do the same thing twice if it's already done. But somehow that doesn't seem to be the case sometimes. I never had an issue with it, so the problem just kept going in and out of my queue.

@Tzarnal
What did you select until the "loop" (like what's the language, game-selection)? Did you click somewhere special?
What's in your BiG World Setup\Config\User.ini? Did you try to delete that file and start anew or maybe delete the BWS-folder and start to run from scratch?
You can see some text when you hover above the text of the BWS-icon in the tray area (usually right bottom of the screen). Can you identify some text? Au3 in the first and line number of the second line would be of some help.

#19 Tzarnal

Tzarnal
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

@Tzarnal
What did you select until the "loop" (like what's the language, game-selection)? Did you click somewhere special?
What's in your BiG World Setup\Config\User.ini? Did you try to delete that file and start anew or maybe delete the BWS-folder and start to run from scratch?
You can see some text when you hover above the text of the BWS-icon in the tray area (usually right bottom of the screen). Can you identify some text? Au3 in the first and line number of the second line would be of some help.

In an attempt to make sure nothing was tainting the process I reinstalled making sure to remove ( well, rename ) my downloads folder too because i usually keep it around to avoid redownloading non updated stuff, this time the problem did not occur.

Trying again by reinstalling again but having the old download folder still in place also made no difference. I have no clue how it happend or how to reproduce it in future.

So yeah, random fluke ?

Edited by Tzarnal, 02 March 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#20 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Without some hints it would be searching the needle in the hay (because there's so much code for potential errors ;) ).