• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

A bit  more work, and I got the installer links settled. But it took deleting BPv180c from the Big Picture download link. So, I'll put this post up top where it can easily be seen.

Here are the files you'll need to make the new BP work with BWS. Procedure is pretty simple:

1. Extract the BWS package into your install folder.
  2. Extract this file archive into Big World Setup/Config/BWP folder. Overwrite all when prompted.
  3. Restart the BWS using the Big World Setup.VBS
  4. Enjoy all the new options and component combinations, and later on hopefully enjoy the massively overhauled AI's of BPv181 and BPSeries!

Attached File  BWS114_BP181v004.zip   141.19K   617 downloads

:cheers:

PS: New attachment. Modified mod.ini file to account for BPSeries v 0.3079.

Attached File  bpseries3079_modini.zip   30.83K   278 downloads

And for those who prefer or need copy/paste:

[BPSeries]
Name=BPSeries Party AI
Rev=0.3079
Type=S,T,E
Link=http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/bp
Down=http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=download&do=confirm_download&id=1025
Save=BPSeries_v03079.zip
Size=3788203
Tra=EN:0,GE:1,FR:2,SP:3,IT:4,RU:5
Wiki=BPSeries

Edited by horred the plague, 24 June 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#2 -Drew-

-Drew-

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

A bit  more work, and I got the installer links settled. But it took deleting BPv180c from the Big Picture download link. So, I'll put this post up top where it can easily be seen.

Here are the files you'll need to make the new BP work with BWS. Procedure is pretty simple:

1. Extract the BWS package into your install folder.
  2. Extract this file archive into Big World Setup/Config/BWP folder. Overwrite all when prompted.
  3. Restart the BWS using the Big World Setup.VBS
  4. Enjoy all the new options and component combinations, and later on hopefully enjoy the massively overhauled AI's of BPv181 and BPSeries!

attachicon.gifBWS114_BP181v004.zip

:cheers:

P.S: Sorry about a couple rapid re-uploads. I had the files crossed between folders. Need sleep!!

This literally destroyed my presets for BWS....

I wish I had thought about this more thoroughly before I extracted these.

#3 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

I cannot do anything about the past, including past presets. All I could do is leave a 2005 mod in stagnation, or give it an 8-year update. That I've done. I offered all the assistance I could in bringing the system up to speed, and in the end had to do it all myself. That I've also done. I never thought that the underlying current of this mega-mod strategy was to never update mods, instead to let them stay in perpetual staticness. I wish I had fully assessed the public's resistance to change before investing 100's of hours in trying to change things for the better. I wish I had thought more thoroughly, before spending all those hours rocking the boat.

#4 -Drew-

-Drew-

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

I cannot do anything about the past, including past presets. All I could do is leave a 2005 mod in stagnation, or give it an 8-year update. That I've done. I offered all the assistance I could in bringing the system up to speed, and in the end had to do it all myself. That I've also done. I never thought that the underlying current of this mega-mod strategy was to never update mods, instead to let them stay in perpetual staticness. I wish I had fully assessed the public's resistance to change before investing 100's of hours in trying to change things for the better. I wish I had thought more thoroughly, before spending all those hours rocking the boat.

It's all good! The presets are deleted, but your fix works!

I can always just make some new ones, right? :D Didn't mean to sound belittling of you in any way, just at my own stupidity for not backing em up!

#5 -Drew-

-Drew-

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

I'm about to start my actual playthrough as well, so I'll give you some feedback if there are any errors. :-) Your efforts are much appreciated! Thanks again

#6 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

Only things I purposely changed in any preset or set-up files were 'BPv180' to 'BP' (will work w/ any new version), the numbering of my new components accounted for--and the install order. Nothing else was purposely changed or deleted, in any way. That's not to say a stray mouse movement during the squinty-eye hours couldn't do damage...anything is possible.

Some choices might change for other reasons. I discovered it's a smart installer, it checks the dependency rules before choosing which components to check. Also factors in which have standard ratings, recommended, and tactical/expert only. Not all governed by presets, which is actually a good thing. I saw a few different versions of presets as I sorted out conflicts and dependencies yesterday.

@Drew: Was it just the auto-biffer that was missing, or did you catch other things? As I said in the PM, I promise nothing was changed or deleted intentionally from selections except BP and BPseries additions & rules.

#7 -zugschef-

-zugschef-

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

Could you please share what exactly you have changed in these files?

#8 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

Or, preferably, you could open them on your own end and see for yourself? The only lines changed in the pre-selects were lines that started w/ BPv180. In the new files, they now start with BP instead. The numbers are different, as the components are. Details on component numbers in another thread here, and in the BP mod itself. And a line was added to each, for the mod BPSeries.

That's all. If you don't like the files, you can simply not use them and replicate them yourselves, using the Find/Replace functions in a text editor. As I stated in the first post, yesterday was the first time I ever looked at BWS code. I haven't even installed it in nearly 2 years, before this last week. I didn't even know of the existence of these files, nor their relevance. AFAIK, the important data was in Select.txt, mod.ini and game.ini--and weidu_[lang].ini If anybody here knows better, then please take over. I only did this package because it seemed like the last resort, to get my new work into the old mix.

#9 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:08 AM

Or, preferably, you could open them on your own end and see for yourself? The only lines changed in the pre-selects were lines that started w/ BPv180. In the new files, they now start with BP instead. The numbers are different, as the components are. Details on component numbers in another thread here, and in the BP mod itself. And a line was added to each, for the mod BPSeries.

That's all.

Well this is easy to do, if you do that with the diffing tools, and know which ones to use, the WinMerge is my favorite.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#10 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:32 AM

Maybe I'm missing something---if you're making your own presets, what happens when (anybody) adds even 1 component to their mod? Or a brand new mod appears on the scene? Well, nowadays that's a minor tragedy because the program will never update--but even before, you would have had to redo your presets right? I'm honestly not sure what it is, that people think I broke--or what is so out of the ordinary. IMHO, broken/out of ordinary would have been to do a huge remake like I did with BP, and then leave it laying on the scrap room floor indefinitely while serving up a years-old trouble-ridden version instead.

#11 -Jourin-

-Jourin-

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

Thank you again for updating BP.  I can understand the "community's" frustration becasue so much changed and change is usually always viewed as bad especially if the change was big.

But all your work just improved the mod and made BP a pre--imminent mod once again.

Thank you again for all your ard work

#12 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Thank you again for updating BP.  I can understand the "community's" frustration becasue so much changed and change is usually always viewed as bad especially if the change was big.

But all your work just improved the mod and made BP a pre--imminent mod once again.

Thank you again for all your ard work

Thank you for taking the time to check it out, and in having faith that all change is not necessarily bad by definition. I really thought this was good change, and I'm happy to hear others agree. It can only get better from here. :cheers:

#13 -zugschef-

-zugschef-

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

srzly, you've got an attitude problem. all i've done was ask you a question and you answer by throwing a tantrum.

#14 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:25 AM

srzly, you've got an attitude problem. all i've done was ask you a question and you answer by throwing a tantrum.

Srzly...Not really. I hardly consider my statement, even in review, to resemble a tantrum.

I just thought it seemed an act of futile laziness. After all, the files were in front of you and you wanted me to open them instead. Everything I could solve by hand-feeding you this list, is something that you'd have to repeat anyways--just to use the information and hand-place it in your files. But instead of 2 documents sitting next to each other in a text editor where, as pointed out, you could use handy functions like --dif and replace--it would be a forum window and a text editor. Or, instead, you copy/paste the same information from the forum into a new document---but you'd still have to do the exact same job as before to benefit from this information.

Rather pointless, especially to a guy that had already proclaimed he was heavily sleep-deprived from bringing this mod to you. Why should I have to join you by repeating a job that I already did, and you'll have to do again anyways if you want the changes?

I imagine, without attempting (I have no reason to attempt), that if you used the old pre-select files, click some BP boxes where you formerly have BPv180 boxes, and hit save...you could just make your own brand-new preset file to your own liking. I could be wrong on that, because my own experience with the BWS and its files is limited to one day's exploration. This I openly admitted to, in my very response to you. My hope was that others would show some understanding and, perhaps, even offer their expertise in the form of suggestions. Not to be accused of throwing tantrums, with no real assistance nor advice offered. Not even a brief explanation, of how this list could be of real benefit.

Tally: for my efforts, I've met resistance to change and a request for me to do even more work for people (and pointlessly in my mind, as described above). And (thankfully) a couple thank-you's from people that actually appreciated my efforts. If you put yourself into my perspective for just a second, you'd probably feel a stern level of frustration at those results (excepting the latter) considering how hard you had just tried.

Maybe, instead, if you feel this list is that important--maybe you could make this list as you edit your local files and post it here, so that others can gain some benefit from this list (a benefit that I do not perceive)? Or, at the least, explain how the list would benefit you and others. Explain it to a man who's still tired from trying to help out, that can see no benefits--just extra busy-work that in his eyes resembles jumping through hoops. If this was explained to me adequately, you'd probably find me quite cooperative and quick to furbish it. I've asked this indirectly in a couple of posts, but was never answered. Now I'm asking it directly: what good would this list really do?

#15 phillon

phillon
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

Well all I want to say is THANK YOU HORRED, just finished a standard install (with one or two customizations) via BWS using the files you provided (to fix the renaming issue of BPv180 to BP) and it worked wonderfully, even better than before; all ascension and BP modules installed successfully whereas previously there were some issues (most likely to do with 180c). Version 181 seems to have fixed these (in addition to all the juicy fixes you have mentioned). Seriously Horred, thank you so much for all the effort you put in! I also believe that “-zugschef-“ is overreacting; I did not find the way you posted in response to him offensive at all.

Don’t get discouraged HORRED, there are many out there that might never say thank you in person, but am sure greatly appreciate the effort you (and all dedicated modders) put in. Again thank you for still after all this time still making improvements to this already masterpiece of a game series. :cheers:

- phillon

#16 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:20 AM

phillon,

Thanks for the kind words, and I hope your playthrough goes as smoothly as your install. The wide-scale compatibility of this is still largely untested, even though in theory it should be much better. But with several people using it now, perhaps we'll learn some things.

One of the more beautiful parts of this split-up I haven't really touched on. Bug-fixing...It will be *so* much easier to track down bugs inside of a single "normal-sized" component, compared to a monstrous mass of 2000+ files and 30k lines of tp2 code.

#17 kovarex

kovarex
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hi, after long time I went back to try the mega mod installer.
I followed all instructions, and went for the standard installation (With this BWS114_BP181v004.zip patch)
Most of the mod downloaded, few of them had to be downloaded manually, I left 4 of the npc mods behind.

Everything went right, but quite early in the installation phase, the dos window just closed without any warning and the installation was closed.
I restarted the process (from the backup ofcourse) with debug version and the same happened.
These files might help to find the problem, maybe something else might hlep, let me know.

Edited by kovarex, 14 June 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#18 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

According to the logs, this is a breakdown with the Big World Smoothpack. Something about a "Willy B audio install" batch file. Maybe better to report this one w/ the Smoothpack (&/or, possibly, the modmaker?), as it's nothing that I did here. I don't even know who Willy B is, nor whom makes that mod, to be quite honest. Try excluding that mod, and see if it helps your install.

As for the links, does anybody know if there's a more current list than what I'd have in this filepack? I can copy/paste the BP stuff into it and release a new copy, if it helps.

#19 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Weren't there various One-Day-NPCs named Willie Bruce or some such?

Ah, here's the one used in a BWP install.

10th
Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#20 kovarex

kovarex
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

After some additional study of the install instructions (Yes my bad that I didn't read it more carefully before posting this, sorry for that), I found out what the problem was.

It was (most probably) the fact, that I installed BG2 to default location (program files .. etc) and I didn't install the BWP into the BG2 install directory.

Now the installation didn't abort at the point as before and is in progress...

P.S.

I noticed, that the game says, that BP was not found (I believe this is too essential to not have).

By inspecting the BiG World Installpack\List.bat and List.txt, I found out, that there is line

BP180=BIG PICTURE

But it makes the bat to look for setup-bp180.exe, but the package contains just setup-bp.exe (not mentioning, the used version is the 181)

When I changed the line in the List.txt to just

BP=BIG PICTURE, the package was not ignored.

Edited by kovarex, 14 June 2013 - 05:11 PM.