Photo

gemrb?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 coineineagh

coineineagh
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

I was asking around before about the bard/cleric combo from Avi-Maya, and how it was made possible. Even Shadowkeeper seems unable to break the hardcoded class combo limitations.

Somebody suggested gemrb to me, which seems to be an alternative game launcher, allowing you to play it on other platforms. Can an expert give me an impression of what the possibilities are? Can it be used to edit my characters into unconventional combos? Would it even be compatible with all my hundreds of mods installed? I dream of a Paladin/Bard main character...

How about: I edit CHARNAME into a Paladin/Bard in gemrb, then save and load the game with my regular exe+Tobex. Would that be possible?

Edited by coineineagh, 19 October 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

The GEMRB is a total revamp of the game engine... now the problem is that as you make the game engine while you install the thing, it's not exactly compatible with any mods in existence.

Yes, the building process is optimized to take some info from the BG2 game, but it still needs a quite a lot of refinement before it can be used to build modified BG2 game to build a solid GEMRB BG2 game.

As your best bet would be to actually convert the mods you wish to use to use the GEMRB code which allows a lot of options, but you need to know how to build those too.

But to answer the question of can you make it make a Paladin/Bard ... yes, you just need to modify a few of the files to account the class... not that it matters much as you probably want to play a modified game, not a game you wish to make yourself.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 coineineagh

coineineagh
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

It sounds like gemrb is out of my league. Too bad.

But to answer the question of can you make it make a Paladin/Bard ... yes, you just need to modify a few of the files to account the class... not that it matters much as you probably want to play a modified game, not a game you wish to make yourself.

It's possible only in gemrb, or also by editing the regular game..? Maybe with ShadowKeeper or NearInfinity?

If it can be done without gemrb, would you be so kind as to give some clues what I need to edit? I'm not an expert, but I'm savvy enough that with some small pointers, I can figure the rest out myself.

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:39 AM

It's possible only in gemrb, or also by editing the regular game..? Maybe with ShadowKeeper or NearInfinity?
In theory it would be possible to edit the baldur.exe to add in a class(in this case the dual class), but for that you need to recompile the .exe, and compiling tools for that and the knowledge... which is not in the same league or in the same universe as the Shadowkeeper or NearInfinity 's... the .exe compiling tools are actually in the furthest end of them, as matter of a fact, the GEMRB is actually kinda one of them, but it makes a new .exe instead of edits the old one, as the old one is not replicate-able because the source files were never released even though it requested tons of times.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 coineineagh

coineineagh
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

OK, too bad. Thanks anyway :cheers: