Eternal Effect on Imoen

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 -Asad-

-Asad-

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

I had another go at the BWS, several actually, over the last couple of days I experimented with different builds (I'm hoping this one, with the shield fix will be the end of my assertion errors). Anyway, what has been something of a constant is that whenever Imoen joins me, some weird effect surrounds her (three whirling balls of energy leaving a trail that from the right angle would probably leave a nuclear sign, if that helps visualize things). To me it looks like some sort of magical surge, I surmise some sort of an effect of the lvl1npc mod applying additional XP on joining which is fine...and which seems to go away for other characters, but for Imoen, well...it doesn't go away. Now I've been trying to (somewhat randomly) deleting certain effects on her (with SK), none of that seems to work though.

I left her with her continuous custom kit (from NEJ) and what doesn't proerly show, I installed pretty much lvl1npc for all the Bioware characters...it's just that I made some error when I did Viconia, so I restarted there.

So anyway, here's my Weidu list.

Spoiler

Given that Aurora has some weird entries, maybe that's the source of my problem.

I understand that this is a minor annoyance, but it's been pretty much the only recurring error in my different installations, well, other than the aforementioned assertion error 899.

#2 -Asad-

-Asad-

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

Okay, short update. I kept walking around in the first stage, and when I got to Gorion, probably when her dialogue triggered, it disappeared. And it was gone for good.

Except now that I moved on to the Lion's Way it's back there again.

#3 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

You have so many spell changing mods that it's hard to locate the exact culprit ... but I bet it has to do with the same mods that effects all the undead(well technically the Mind Shielded) characters. 

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4 -Asad-

-Asad-

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

Yeah, I noticed a lot of undead characters (et al) had the same effect. I guess I'll keep playing around with the SK, though i wouldn't really like letting loose of the mind shield.

Btw, is there any chance this is somehow related to my guys losing the AI script all the time? I mean, I pretty much only use standard attack, but usually it doesn't work...and when I check again oftentimes it's set to NONE.

#5 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

I had this issue once. I didn't bother fixing it, but iirc - aTweaks + 1PPv4 (it's 1pp animation for Spell Immunity and the like) + "the real culprit" is doing this. You will probably only get this with all 3, or more, mods installed. What my suggestion would be is to CTRL+q an undead in your party and check him out via SK for effects or use NI editor for him. Then, run a change-log on spells/abilities of that creature.

AI script of "standard attack" does not work with BGT. I use "paladin attack" instead for melee warriors and "custom-default" for ranged.

#6 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

@kreso

Did you try to re-compile those scripts? I had the same issue with one script, but re-compiling fixed it.

10th

Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#7 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:48 AM

No, I haven't -  I simply use Paladins' autoattack script instead.

#8 -Asad-

-Asad-

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

I...have trouble handling myself with Near Infinity. So I have no idea what running a change log means.

What I have found out is that the source of this power is some ring...RING95 (at least for undead and dread wolfes), which gives immunity to effect 101 and protects from spell 206...now I think I should be looking for that "immunity to effect 101" or for the effect 101 itself or for the spell 206, but I can't seem to find it.

Or maybe I should check for animations and look for one that is triggered by immunity to effect 101 or protection from spell 206...though I have no idea how I'd go about that.

Hmm...the ring also includes a Unknown (318), Target Self, as well as Disable display string (267) and Immunity to specific animation (296)

I tried to look up "Unknown", which has it's own little folder but it seems like a corrupted file. So my guess would be, that this is it.

Now Imoen also comes with a lot of effects, including immunity to 101, disable string 267 and immunity to specific animation 296...

I guess I'll try and remove that specific animation and see what happens...

#9 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

I have no idea what running a change log means.

Well simply a log of things that change the file. In otherwords a weidu.exe command, it's widely used... in megamoding.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#10 -Asad-

-Asad-

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

Deleting (via Shadowkeeper) all her Charm Protections removed the graphical effect. So I started trying deleting them one by one and checking if I could single out one of those to make it stop but I'm starting to think that this is not the way to go. Not surprisingly, removing the ring from the dread wolf removes the animation as well.

So, I guess what I need to do is find out what that animation is called, and remove one of it's triggers.

I have just finished doing a pretty poor workaround. In Shadowkeeper, deleting the affects (that are tagged in ressource 3 as Immunity to charm SPCL817) numbers 6 to 10.

#11 -Deaderinred-

-Deaderinred-

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

it happens on a lot of things, i saw it all the time on a tactics install and wondered what the hell it was, never saw it before on older versions and i managed to track it down to a component in lolfixer. havent explored further than a min install with spell revs and lolfixer installed with bgt but if i had to guess it was the spell resources component. considering my old bwp install from last year has spell revs installed and no lolfixer at all i gonna have to guess this is the culprit, havent had time to do a proper check though. even did a install without spell revs and just lolfixer and got the swirly spell animation outside of inn in candlekeep just before the starting text appears. the animation vanishes of course but there you go, guessing some scripts use spell effects to trigger things and lolfixer gives them an animation. (gorion also had the effect on him during his death scene)

#12 -Asad-

-Asad-

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

@The Imp

Alright...but which file? Imoen's creature file? Can't find it in the override, do I have to extract it with NI? I mean, it seems pretty clear what gave her those effects, it's the NEJ custom kit. But how can I check why these effects would cause this animation?

#13 -Asad-

-Asad-

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Alright...I extracted SPCL817.SPL into the main folder and into the override folder, then ran change log on it.

WeiDU.exe --log nul --change-log SPCL817.SPL >change-log/change-log.txt --out change-log
:: WeiDU.exe --log nul --change-log SPCL817.SPL >change-log/change-log1.txt --out change-log

And it gave me this.

[WeiDU.exe] WeiDU version 22700
[WeiDU.exe] Using scripting style "BG2"
In state 32, I expected one of these tokens:
  [2] ~~
Parse error (state 32) at BEGIN
[BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2] PARSE ERROR at line 28626 column 1-27
Near Text: BEGIN
    GLR parse error
[BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2]  ERROR at line 28626 column 1-27
Near Text: BEGIN
    Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: parsing [BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error
FATAL ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error

372505.jpg

#14 Discordia

Discordia
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

So...I'm Asad, no idea why I changed my name for my guest, maybe because I didn't want people to to think I was too lazy to get a hold of my old account, but now you know anyway. I also figured that I'd need only some small questions here and there because I thought myself to be some sort of BW veteran because I remember the times when I was sitting some 18 hours straight before the computer inputting mods by hand, but yet, I never learnt how to properly handle NI, so there's that.

In case you're wondering why SPCL817, it's because NI tells me that SPCL817 is the parent ressource for Immunity to effect (101), which is what I think is causing this.

Also I just compared both the saves (one prior to removing certain affects, as described above, and one after) and checking with NI the one where 5 of the files were removed doesn't show the Immunity to effect (101), just to add a little bit more circumstantial evidence.

So, okay, this is about the limit of my abilities.

Do you guys think it would be safe to let the game running, having removed those affects?

Edited by Discordia, 23 November 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#15 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

SPCL817 has Charm Immunity, so it explains why Imoen (due to kit) and Undead have it. Try this:

Open NI

Go to Options-Show Override files-in ??? folders

open SPL folder, scroll down to SPCL817 - EDIT it

under spell ability, double-click on melee (1)

You should now see a bunch of effects - immunity to effect/animation/blah blah

Now, you have to find the one responsible for playing the animation (it should be self-explenatory from descriptions)

#16 Discordia

Discordia
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

Awesome, I'll try this when I get back home. Thanks a lot to all of you.

Seriously though, why do old games have the best communities?

#17 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

Because new games are all crap. :D  Anyways, do post if it worked.

#18 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

WeiDU version 22700
You can't make a change-log using a lower version of weidu.exe than the one use installed the mods... what you need to do in a general BWS install is just extract the .bat and the folder into the game folder and edit it in the bits it needs and then run it, as the weidu.exe is already in the folder in the correct version. And if it's not, you can't actually make the log as the files have need erased by the Clean-Up.bat that was used to nuke the cheese out of the repair assembly.

Because new games are all crap. :D Anyways, do post if it worked.

Because the retro feel feels so much better with Pong or Tetris than... say Final Fantasy 13. :devil:

Edited by The Imp, 23 November 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#19 Discordia

Discordia
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:00 PM

Oh, I kinda figured it would need that weidu version, but yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

Anyway, for now I'll try that other option. I think that spwnchrm.vcc including a spwnchrm.bam animation makes it the obvious contender for the effect at fault...and it was a success, even if only a short lived one. Loading the game has Imoen without the animation, but after resting it comes back. Probably when I saving too. Actually, after turning off BG, and starting it again, the animation exists pretty much as it always did.

Now then, for the change-log...

[WeiDU.exe] WeiDU version 23600
override/spcl817.splTB#"SPACE"bg2fixpack/backup/0/spcl817.spl
override/SPCL817.SPLTB#"SPACE"bdash\Install\Backup/0/SPCL817.SPL

If I'm reading this correctly, backups exist in both bg2fixpack and bdash...so I guess I'll try out those two and maybe they work.

And they didn't.

Okay, I think I'm gonna sleep now and try to figure out where I went wrong tomorrow morning. Strangely enough, this issue, which hadn't bothered me much before, is really starting to irk me.

Anyway, three hurrays for retro gaming.

#20 Discordia

Discordia
  • 324 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

I tried a couple more things, but unfortunately the only solution I could come up with was removing those 5 effects with SK. I backed up that save so I could replicate the effects in case they were needed for some reason.