Helmet and shield appearance w/ BG1 Tutu

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 -FlameDeathFace-

-FlameDeathFace-

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

I've been playing BG1 Tutu. It always bothered me that the inventory icons didn't match what the paperdoll shows:

01Jg2uR.png

This is fixed with 1PP, which is awesome:

G3rXQ4v.png

But I'm confused about something. During the install, I carefully studied the readme before choosing these options:

SETTING 1: SHIELD APPEARANCE

2. Baldur's Gate I style

SETTING 2: HELMET APPEARANCE

2. Faux Baldur's Gate I style (use BG1 icons but not animations)

SETTING 3: ARMOUR ITEM ICONS

2. Baldur's Gate I style

Question 1: Why isn't there a BG1 style option for helmet appearance? I chose faux BG1 style because it sounds the closest to what I want (fixed vanilla) but the way it's worded is confusing. What exactly does it mean?

Later during the install, I was asked if I wanted these settings to apply to Tutu/BG1 with a warning that it would replace Tutu's default shields. But I find this confusing as well. Which brings me to question 2: Does it mean it will replace the BG1 icons or the BG2 paperdolls? Both are used by Tutu. I want to replace the BG2 paperdolls to match the BG1 icons, and get as close as I can to "fixed" vanilla, so do I answer yes or no?

I answered no because that was marked as default, and combined with the warning above it sounded like the safest option. Question 3: Why did the icons and paperdolls on the inventory screen change at all if I answered no? (See second screenshot.)

At this point, I know I have some of the BG1 paperdolls back, but some of them I think are original content included in 1PP. Similarly, some of the icons are from BG1 but some (like the helmet) look like they are new content in 1PP. So I seem to be using some crazy mixture of assets, and I'm not sure which is which. Can anyone clarify?

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:24 AM

Question 1: Why isn't there a BG1 style option for helmet appearance? I chose faux BG1 style because it sounds the closest to what I want (fixed vanilla) but the way it's worded is confusing. What exactly does it mean?
Well, technically there's 3 sorts of animations used in the BG2 game, one being from the BG1, second comes from somewhere else(It was supposed to be the Icewind Dale 1 I thing, don't remember), and one specifically made for BG2, now, they actually work differently, but the 1PP adds the look on the BG1 animation to actual BG2 animation and thus the FAUX BG1 style, which is actually the BG2 animation that all the player characters use.

The difference of those animations (I think) is that some(the BG2) support two weapon fighting styles while the other don't, and one mirrors (again the BG2) the creature from left to right so the weapons actually switch sides, so the shield jumps hands when the avatar turns it's direction from right to left. The last should be the monsters animations, most of with have a single color palette, and also some of them don't have any existing casting animations so if that happens the game will crash.

Edited by The Imp, 24 November 2013 - 05:12 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 -FlameDeathFace-

-FlameDeathFace-

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

That makes sense, but doesn't the same apply to shields and armor as well? Those options are called BG1 style but shouldn't they be called faux BG1 style also?

I've said a couple times that I'm looking for "fixed" vanilla, but I should probably clarify what I mean. I would like to update the paperdolls and animations so they look like vanilla BG1 and so that they match the inventory icons.

The obvious solution would be to just play vanilla BG1 without any mods but I can't stand the 640x480 resolution. I went with Tutu so I could install the widescreen mod and use Tutu GUI (or BG1 GUI by LadeJarl at Pocket Plane Group). That way I have an authentic looking GUI to go with the resolution. I didn't realize when I made that decision it was going to change all the paperdolls and animations too.

If there's another way to accomplish what I want - increased resolution without changing the GUI, paperdolls or animations - without using Tutu, please let me know. If there's a specific set of options I should use to get that from 1PP that is preferable (so I don't have to start over again).

#4 SergIS

SergIS
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

I've said a couple times that I'm looking for "fixed" vanilla, but I should probably clarify what I mean. I would like to update the paperdolls and animations so they look like vanilla BG1 and so that they match the inventory icons.

The obvious solution would be to just play vanilla BG1 without any mods but I can't stand the 640x480 resolution. I went with Tutu so I could install the widescreen mod and use Tutu GUI (or BG1 GUI by LadeJarl at Pocket Plane Group). That way I have an authentic looking GUI to go with the resolution. I didn't realize when I made that decision it was going to change all the paperdolls and animations too.

If there's another way to accomplish what I want - increased resolution without changing the GUI, paperdolls or animations - without using Tutu, please let me know. If there's a specific set of options I should use to get that from 1PP that is preferable (so I don't have to start over again).

All you need (aside from you already have - EasyTuTu and TuTuGUI) is Infinity Animations (content for the restored Baldur's Gate I character animations) from http://www.shsforums...ity-animations/ You just need the base content (http://www.shsforums...content-thread/) for that but of course you could add some more animations if you like. I run that setup for several walkthroughs already and it work like a charm (even dualwield work but you will not see the offhand weapon on your avatar).

Edited by SergIS, 25 November 2013 - 12:33 AM.

#5 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

That makes sense, but doesn't the same apply to shields and armor as well? Those options are called BG1 style but shouldn't they be called faux BG1 style also?

The armors look different according to what class of a character you are in both systems, but the 1PP adds the avatar script that changes this in most parts. Yes, the vanilla BG1 armors had the very same problem, but some of them looked better, so the 1PP uses alike resources(as in selected/modified ones), not the exact ones.
What those things are called is a mystery between the Erephine and the world.

The obvious solution would be to just play vanilla BG1 without any mods but I can't stand the 640x480 resolution. I went with Tutu so I could install the widescreen mod and use Tutu GUI ...

Well you could go back to the BG1 game and use the Widescreen mod to modify the resolution, yes, the GUI will look horrific, but there's a BG1GUI enchantment mod that can be installed after the Widescreen mod, but only on set resolutions ! as said here in this thread, with the download link.

I am not saying that that's the best solution though, it's just an option you have !

SergIS gave one, I one... and the 1PP's options are another. Unfortunately, this all goes back to the need to start over again.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#6 FlameDeathFace

FlameDeathFace
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

I've installed TWM_GUI before but it has quite a few problems.

All you need (aside from you already have - EasyTuTu and TuTuGUI) is Infinity Animations (content for the restored Baldur's Gate I character animations) from http://www.shsforums...ity-animations/ You just need the base content (http://www.shsforums...content-thread/) for that but of course you could add some more animations if you like. I run that setup for several walkthroughs already and it work like a charm (even dualwield work but you will not see the offhand weapon on your avatar).

I get the impression that only patches the character animations. Does it restore the paperdolls as well?

Edit: Nevermind.

Update of 9-May-2010 includes BG1 character paperdolls with correct offsets.

Edited by FlameDeathFace, 25 November 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#7 FlameDeathFace

FlameDeathFace
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

Infinity Animations might restore some of the paperdolls but it doesn't to fix all of them, and it comes with its own bugs: http://www.shsforums...dolls-clipping/

It seems like getting a "fixed" vanilla install of BG1 that includes increased resolution is not possible at this time. The options are:

1. Play plain old BG1 at default resolution (640x480)

2. Play BG1 Tutu with BG1 GUI, BG1 icons and BG2 paperdolls

3. Play BG1 Tutu with BG1 GUI, BG1 icons and 1PP paperdolls (and a random mixture of 1PP icons and BG1 paperdolls)

4. Play BG1 with widescreen mod and TWM_GUI

Honestly, option 4 is the least preferred because it comes with quite a few bugs. The primary deal breaker for me is this scrolling bug, but it's also annoying that it comes with that fugly inverted map background and several of the screens aren't centered.

I'll probably stick with option 3 unless someone has a better idea.

Edit: I just read the 1PP documentation for the nth time. I think I finally get what everything does. I will try the following options next and hopefully post a tutorial or something if it works:

- Core paperdolls

- Extended palette entries: Compatibility install

- Legacy shields

- Core updates and item patches

I think that's all I need, but I'm not sure about additional shield animations or additional helmet animations. I don't think I need core content patches because Tutu uses the BG1 icons anyways.

Edited by FlameDeathFace, 26 November 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#8 FlameDeathFace

FlameDeathFace
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

YEEEEAAAHHHH-

uWeyLuo.png

That's awesome. Thanks everyone :)

Edit: There's just one more tiny problem - helmets on avatars don't look exactly right. e.g. the horned helmet doesn't have horns on the character animation. This I can live with, but is there another component I can install to fix it?

BG1:

OiK2xox.png

BG1 Tutu:

FlWBLRo.png

Edit 2: I also installed female dwarves and thieves galore to get the thief animations back.

Edited by FlameDeathFace, 22 December 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#9 FlameDeathFace

FlameDeathFace
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

I tried installing avatar fixes, smart avatar and armor switching and additional helmet animations but none of those components seem to restore the BG1 helmet animations. I guess that's what IA is for.

Edited by FlameDeathFace, 27 November 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#10 SergIS

SergIS
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

For whatever reason I can't see the images in your post (so can't see what the problem is exactly) but in my install all helmets on character's avatars are the vanilla BG1 ones. 

Edited by SergIS, 28 November 2013 - 12:14 AM.

#11 FlameDeathFace

FlameDeathFace
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

Yeah I tried using a crappy image hosting site - will fix them when I have time.

I think your avatars are vanilla BG1 because you said you were using IA. I tried installing just 1PP core paperdolls and then IA, which restored all the vanilla animations. But I'm happy with using 1PP with legacy shields and thieves galore - those are the only nagging differences in my eyes. It would be cool if 1PP had a component to restore helmet animations but it's not a big deal.

Edited by FlameDeathFace, 29 November 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#12 FlameDeathFace

FlameDeathFace
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

For whatever reason I can't see the images in your post (so can't see what the problem is exactly) but in my install all helmets on character's avatars are the vanilla BG1 ones. 

Sorry it took me so long, but I finally uploaded those images to a decent hosting site so the problem should be clear now.

#13 SergIS

SergIS
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

Sorry it took me so long, but I finally uploaded those images to a decent hosting site so the problem should be clear now.

Yeah, I see now that even with IA installed you still have a BG2 ingame avatars... Use ShadowKeeper to change each your character's Appearance to L *** type (i.e. from say Fighter Male Dwarf to L Fighter Male Dwarf, Mage Female Elf to L Mage Female Elf, etc.).

Edited by SergIS, 22 December 2013 - 11:08 PM.

#14 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

Use ShadowKeeper to change each your character's Appearance to L *** type (i.e. from say Fighter Male Dwarf to L Fighter Male Dwarf, Mage Female Elf to L Mage Female Elf, etc.).

For that to work, we need to hope FlameDeathFace is not using the 1pp avatar script, cause it will prevent the change if it's on.

#15 SergIS

SergIS
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:34 AM

Use ShadowKeeper to change each your character's Appearance to L *** type (i.e. from say Fighter Male Dwarf to L Fighter Male Dwarf, Mage Female Elf to L Mage Female Elf, etc.).

For that to work, we need to hope FlameDeathFace is not using the 1pp avatar script, cause it will prevent the change if it's on.

Yup, you are right, of course! I'm not using that script myself so just forgot of its behaviour.