BGTmusic issues

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 -qwerty1222-

-qwerty1222-

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

I'm having some issue with BGTmusic. Specifically, I want to use full bg1/bg2/tob soundtrack. So I've installed this component and tested Candlekeep. The only way I could get battle music play when fighting the 2 thieves was installing Hybrid option. Installing other options or not installing anything results in silence. Is that a bug? What should I do about it?

Other questions:

1) Some reading on this forum suggests that one could install TobEX and ditch BGTmusic. Is that correct?

2) If I want to add 1pp music and AceAltmusic, will it work properly?

This is the Weidu.log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ascension v1.41 (requires ToB)
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v10
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1001 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update -> GTU Classic (from Baldurdash, by Kevin Dorner): v10
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v10
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v10
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #102 // Cromwell's Forging Actually Takes a Day: v10
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes: v10
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings,   Dwarves, and Gnomes: v10
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers   and Stalkers: v10
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior: v10
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v10
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes: v10
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v10
~SETUP-BGT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Core: 1.18 (28 Apr 13)
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-BGTMUSIC.TP2~ #0 #1 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Music -> Hybrid Baldur's Gate/Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal Music
~SETUP-BGTMUSIC.TP2~ #0 #2 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Music -> Full Baldur's Gate/Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal Music (WARNING: patches BGMain.exe)

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

First of all, I would recommend the ToBEx as it prevents the game from not starting because the playlist.<extension> -file is too long, second, make sure that your Windows is using the a stereo (1 + 1) or quadro (2 + 2) output, and not surround(5.1 or 7.1) as the game has no functions for the more advanced outputs and so there's silence.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 -qwerty1122-

-qwerty1122-

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

First of all, I would recommend the ToBEx as it prevents the game from not starting because the playlist.<extension> -file is too long, second, make sure that your Windows is using the a stereo (1 + 1) or quadro (2 + 2) output, and not surround(5.1 or 7.1) as the game has no functions for the more advanced outputs and so there's silence.

Sorry, I don't get it. Does Tobex supersede BGTmusic or not?

Second, if I have music when one option is installed and don't have it when another one is installed, I guess it has nothing to do with sound settings.

#4 DrAzTiK

DrAzTiK
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:54 AM

Another problem with BGT is that battles musics get too much intensity sound in comparaison to others musics. I always need to reduce the sound in the BGT  control pannel everytime time I have  a battle  if I don't want to become deaf one day.

In BG2 (without BGT installed), the battles music inensity match others musics.

#5 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

DrAzTiK, I believe this is a general issue with the volume of sound in BG compared to BG 2. Soundsets also much too loud compared to BG2. Unless the sound files are edited to lower the volume, there is not much BGT can do, I'm afraid.

#6 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

So ok, we found the problem, it's that both of the songlist.2da's in BGT, that the BGT-music is based are definitely broken, as if you look it with Notepad, the column are all over the place, it needs to be fixed with Notepad++ or other tools that can show all the markers, and making sure to both eliminate the Tab usage, and repair the damage with spaces. The reason is that we do not actually know how the 2da file reacts to the Tab marker. The file might seem nice in a text editor, be it only shows half the picture, as it's not reading the file as the game will.

You can clearly see where the practice goes off when you look this compilation of pictures of the Notepad++ window, of the hybrid songlist.2da:

gn8w.png

The first highlight is that the tab at the start throws the start of the second column too.

The second highlight shows that they were programmed by someone that was half as insane as I, mixing spaces and Tab keys.

And the middle portion is there as we do not know if the computer actually aligns the columns so that it can read them, as the Tab marker is used on the second column, making me unsure if it can actually read the file correctly or as a few first markers missing which would lead to unexciting.mus file.

Edited by The Imp, 18 January 2014 - 03:30 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#7 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

I'm pretty sure the game treats tabs the same as spaces in .2da files, so none of that should be a problem.  The columns don't have to be lined up, either; we just like to do that to make the files nicer for humans to read.

#8 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:59 AM

I'm pretty sure the game treats tabs the same as spaces in .2da files, so none of that should be a problem.  The columns don't have to be lined up, either; we just like to do that to make the files nicer for humans to read.

I would like to know then your explanation of the reason why the bug happens then ?

The fact that the game threats the Tab as "spaces" is not enough knowledge to me, is it 1, 10 or hundreds ? I have seen a few of the tables that the game doesn't read correctly and the best explanation for the things happening is that of mine.

Edited by The Imp, 19 January 2014 - 06:00 AM.

#9 -GnollPartygoer-

-GnollPartygoer-

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:41 AM

I had the same issue with my recent BGT install. I noticed it only when I reached the Gnoll Stronghold and tavern music started blaring. "Man, those gnolls must be hitting booze. Hard." And yes, I followed Leonardo Watson's updated guide (for the Nth time). I have to say there were a lot of other issues I'd never encountered when following the steps, including crashes and wrong base HP at start - my fighter had 20 + 3 from con bonus! I installed all the TobExes, Trilogies and Stratagems and whatnot as carefully (read: painfully slow) as possible. Still I FAILed.

Now I installed EasyTutu for the first time in my BG experience - works perfectly with all the mods that I wanted. I guess I finally got tired of reinstalling BGT every once in an error.

#10 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:43 AM

The problem in new version of WeiDU.
BGT adds to songlist.2da strings with the same MUS-files. For example:
ADD_MUSIC ~fort~ ~music/fort.mus~
ADD_MUSIC ~bgfort~ ~music/fort.mus~
But new WeiDU skips such strings with links to repetitive MUS-files. As a result, songlist lacks a few lines, and ARE-files refer to the wrong line numbers in songlist.
Install BGTMusic with old WeiDU (from the archive with mod) and see what happens.

#11 Marvin

Marvin

Marvin

• 197 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:36 AM

Where can I get a working Weidu?

#12 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

In BGT mod archive. It's work fine to me.

#13 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

Keep in mind WeiDU will auto-update itself if you run the old version .exe from same folder where you also have more recent versions.

#14 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

I hope Wisp will take a peek at this topic and tell us whether or not this can be fixed for the next version of WeiDu.

#15 Marvin

Marvin

Marvin

• 197 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

Just out of curiosity: I've been experiencing other bugs, such as stuttering, the crazy Bassilus Quest not working (Priest won't recognize that I have the holy simboly), and Banters + Lovetalks take more than 30 min real time (which is what I have installed). Could this have been caused by this WeiDu error, too?

Edited by Marvin, 21 January 2014 - 11:27 PM.

#16 -GnollDJ-

-GnollDJ-

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:08 AM

Version 233:
  * HANDLE_AUDIO and HANDLE_TILESETS (mostly) handle special characters.
  * ADD_MUSIC does not set the wrong variable if the MUS already exists.
  * Document ADD_MUSIC.
  * Optimisations to DECOMPRESS_BIFF.
  * EXTEND_MOS uses the offset table.

This probably means we have to revert to v232 for now.

#17 Marvin

Marvin

Marvin

• 197 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

Can someone tell me how you can auto downgrade weidu for a freh install, becuase it automatically updates all files to the newest version?

#18 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

Running the setup with --noautoupdate will prevent the update, if you just need BGTMusic...
Else replace the replacement. BWS loads its file from the download-folder, so you could replace the file after it's download.
Or you can replace the file in the BWP installpack if you use that.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#19 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

This is perhaps the only major issue that's keeping me from starting up a new BG+BGII game.

I really appreciate all of the extremely hard work that's gone into the development of all of the BWS mods, especially Quiet's recent work on the BWS installer, but it's frustrating to have such a fantastic potential experience hamstrung by incorrect or non-existant music throughout BG1 or otherwise.

Is there a specific file or place we could add a --noautoupdate to setup-bgt.exe (or is it setup-bgtmusic.exe)?

This is assuming, of course, that we just use ToBex for the exe changes and somehow make bgtmusic full (all BG1/BG2) not perform the exe change. <_<

I am the dumb when it comes to doing all but rudimentary txt file manipulation... so, a :cookie:  to whoever figures this out! And our undying gratitude of course!

#20 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Er.. to clarify for the above, I mean when using the BWS Big World Project instalation. Perhaps there's some file I can just add --noautoupdate for any BGT related installs or other "adds music" type mods. (Are there any of note? I only use SoBH as far as all BG/BGII quests go...)