Photo

Your opinion of Queen Ellesime

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: So, what do you honestly think of Ellesime? (89 member(s) have cast votes)

So, what do you honestly think of Ellesime?

1. She is a paragon of romantic beauty and virtue (7 votes [7.87%])

Percentage of vote: 7.87%

2. Heartless bitch who deserves slow and painful death (8 votes [8.99%])

Percentage of vote: 8.99%

3. Tortured soul who did something she regretted deeply (18 votes [20.22%])

Percentage of vote: 20.22%

4. A woman deeply in love who was betrayed by her lover (12 votes [13.48%])

Percentage of vote: 13.48%

5. Just some perky elf in a sexy swim suit - looks hot! (4 votes [4.49%])

Percentage of vote: 4.49%

6. Don't care but she gave us some good stuff at the end (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. I wish I could romance her (8 votes [8.99%])

Percentage of vote: 8.99%

8. I hate elves, period - they are all snobs and pointy-eared freaks (6 votes [6.74%])

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

9. I wish you could kill her and loot the body (6 votes [6.74%])

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

10. None of the above - it is rather more complicated (9 votes [10.11%])

Percentage of vote: 10.11%

11. None of the above - but there are a few answers that fit somewhat (11 votes [12.36%])

Percentage of vote: 12.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 01:28 PM

Speaking of which - I think I found a 'perfect' portrait for Ellesime. Which is actually a portrait of Galadriel, but the one I never saw before. Too bad the light it so bright that I won't be able to edit it for use with a small portrait.

She is simply perfect - the way *I* imagine her at least.

Posted Image

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#22 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 01:45 PM

I'd say Galadriel was also "responsible" for so many people being willing to cut Ellesime more slack than she deserves. I mean, Ellesime's the queen of Suldanesselar. One of her subjects has demonstrated both the capacity and intention of destroying the realm purely for self-aggrandizement. Her punishment consisted in giving him another excellent reason to hold a grudge without in any way diminishing his capacity for revenge other than by putting a time limit on it. She then turns him loose in the world and, apparently, goes on as if nothing had happened. At least, there seem to have no arrangements either to keep track of Irenicus or to prepare defenses in case he decided to take the low road of vengeance. Unless the elves' world view requires them always to act with romantic and chivalrous folly toward one another, this isn't a woman vanquished by Fate but by Stupidity.

As regards the pic, the character is very good but the background of masonry is terrible. Absolutely got to be a Faerie woodland rather than what looks like a monk's cell.
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#23 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 December 2003 - 02:04 PM

I was talking about Ellesime actually, but to be honest, I have a suspicion that she was molded after Galadriel, minus Celebrimor (?) whom Tolkien had troubles. Of course the only man of her league throughout the ages was Faenor, whom with the lack of a sufficiently offensive animalistic male term one can label a magnificent beast, I guess. But I love Galadriel from the point when she sees the white ships of Teleri burning onward....

#24 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 December 2003 - 02:20 PM

At least, there seem to have no arrangements either to keep track of Irenicus or to prepare defenses in case he decided to take the low road of vengeance.

Actually, I think there are certain arrangements that prevent him from walking Suldanessellar and area unmolested - thus the nickname "Exile" and a complicated scheme of double blow of drow forces, shutting off the elven army from the city and the illusionary monsters attack.

Besides, as per Dorotea there is mythal in Suldanesselar, which is one of the strongest magical protections available in FR.

Plus, whatever eyes and ears were sent after Irenicus in the past they may have lost him after the civil war in Tethyr broke out and the elves again had to fight for their survival...

#25 Helseth

Helseth
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 03:34 PM

I mean, Ellesime's the queen of Suldanesselar.  One of her subjects has demonstrated both the capacity and intention of destroying the realm purely for self-aggrandizement.  Her punishment consisted in giving him another excellent reason to hold a grudge without in any way diminishing his capacity for revenge other than by putting a time limit on it.  She then turns him loose in the world and, apparently, goes on as if nothing had happened.  At least, there seem to have no arrangements either to keep track of Irenicus or to prepare defenses in case he decided to take the low road of vengeance.  Unless the elves' world view requires them always to act with romantic and chivalrous folly toward one another, this isn't a woman vanquished by Fate but by Stupidity.

I think you are right here. Not to invest in some heavy-duty Joneleth-detecting spells does seem very stupid. Bordering on suicidal.
Of course, for all we know, elves very well might do just that -- to no avail. When a wizard of Irenicus' caliber wants to stay hidden, he stays hidden. :ph34r: ;)

#26 -Andy-

-Andy-

Posted 11 December 2003 - 06:33 AM

I'd say that she was a little foolish, but not heartless. Really, she should have kept Jon in Suldenesselar and had his power removed; surely that would be possible with the mithal's powers, right? Plus, she could have kept him away from Bodhi, who was pretty clearly a corrupting influence on Jon the whole time, instead of letting them form a bond of shared hatred. Well, one thing she may have been heartless about is letting Jon free in the Realms, because that put the rest of the world in danger; was it an attitude of "we'll put him out there where he can't hurt anything really important"?

#27 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 11 December 2003 - 06:42 AM

I rather imagine that it was:

Ellesime: "You are free to make your own choices, and I know that you will do the right thing. I cannot help you more than that, but please, my love, quell your pride and come back for forgiveness and mercy... I will embrace you when you shall return..."
Irenicus (aloud): "I am hurt...I need to heal...and I have so little time, as you, my love condemned me to mortality...We will meet later."
Irenicus (under his breath): "When I shall return it will all change. You will love me, yes, but you will love me kneeling and that whole pathetic city of yours you value so much will kneel alongside you! The whole world will!"

#28 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 07:43 AM

Speaking of which - I think I found a 'perfect' portrait for Ellesime. Which is actually a portrait of Galadriel, but the one I never saw before. Too bad the light it so bright that I won't be able to edit it for use with a small portrait.

She is simply perfect - the way *I* imagine her at least.

Posted Image

Oh yes, this is a very nice potential Ellesime! She looks beautiful, and regal, as I think Ellesime should. The official portrait just looked weird to me.

#29 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:24 PM

This one is really beautiful. I wonder if you can actually "colorise" her a bit to use as a portrait? It's awsome. Who is the artist?

#30 -Shian-

-Shian-

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:48 PM

Beautiful? Ellesime? I've always thought her pic horrible and that crown just plain gaudy. I usually go 'Blech!' when I see her pic in-game. Everyone's diff tho.

I like the pic you found Dorotea. Definitely more fitting than that pic in the game.

#31 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 06:01 PM

The artist is Sandrine Gestin. Here is the link to the site where I found the pic.

http://www.dracoblu.com/gestin.html

I will definitely try to do my best with the portrait - the problem is not just the colors - the size of 38x60 pixels does not leave much room and the image looks completely washed out and blurred... But I shall se what I can do. I am definitely not using the horrible feathered image in this mod.

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#32 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 11 December 2003 - 06:46 PM

I went through Tolkien calendars and the one thing I discovered is that there are more images of Shelob than Galadriel. To make matters worst there are images of only 4 women available at all... All below, nothing suitable... The only curiosity I found is that Legolas was always a darkhead in the calendars....

http://img-fan.theon...hi/Baccador.jpg
http://img-fan.theon...t/galadriel.jpg
http://img-fan.theon...e/galadriel.jpg
http://img-fan.theon...smith/smith.jpg
http://img-fan.theon...di/baccador.jpg
http://img-fan.theon...i/Galadriel.jpg
http://img-fan.theon...n_and_Eowyn.jpg
http://img-fan.theon...sio/Luthien.jpg
http://img-fan.theon...iel_hobbits.jpg
http://img-fan.theon...price/arwen.jpg
http://img-fan.theon...stirrup-cup.jpg

#33 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 08:09 PM

Beautiful? Ellesime? I've always thought her pic horrible and that crown just plain gaudy. I usually go 'Blech!' when I see her pic in-game. Everyone's diff tho.

I like the pic you found Dorotea. Definitely more fitting than that pic in the game.

Oh yes, I agree that the game pic looks awful. But the character portrayal always gave me the impression that she's supposed to be beautiful.

#34 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 11 December 2003 - 09:31 PM

Well, she got one "hot in a swim suit" vote, so she's clearly pushing somebody's buttons.

#35 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 12 December 2003 - 06:23 AM

Actually 2 people - someone else "wishes could romance her" and another 5 people think that she is an ideal of romantic beauty and virtue, feathers or no feathers.

#36 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 10:57 AM

Most probable Ellesime's new portrait. Green and gold - as I've always said...

Posted Image

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#37 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 13 December 2003 - 11:42 AM

Nice, nice and nice! I like this shining about her and the leaves.

#38 Mistress Elysia

Mistress Elysia

Officially a Dirty Old Woman

• Modder
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:02 PM

....Ummm, hi, sorry to be totally off topic, but...

The only curiosity I found is that Legolas was always a darkhead in the calendars....

The reason for this is only Noldorin elves of House Finarphir (Galadriels House) are supposed to have golden hair....All Sindarin elves were supposed to have dark hair... ;)
Yes, I am a sad, sad individual with far to much time on my hands... :lol: :lol:

On topic....
I think the new piccie is much better than Ellesimes original! She looks much more ethereal and serene.

The Timely Resurrection of Fade!
Mistress Elysia's fantasy artwork.
Where Darkness Resides: A Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark fanfic

I want to live, I want to experience the universe and I want to eat pie.

"Oh, little ice cream friends! Thog delays boredom-driven rampage only for you!"

#39 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:20 PM

....Ummm, hi, sorry to be totally off topic, but...

The only curiosity I found is that Legolas was always a darkhead in the calendars....

The reason for this is only Noldorin elves of House Finarphir (Galadriels House) are supposed to have golden hair....All Sindarin elves were supposed to have dark hair... ;)
Yes, I am a sad, sad individual with far to much time on my hands... :lol: :lol:

On topic....
I think the new piccie is much better than Ellesimes original! She looks much more ethereal and serene.

Yes, you are right, I forgot about it. You meant Finarfin, right?

I always thought Vanyar were blond, must be 'cause they are Fair Elves...thought it does not matter, lol. Is Legolas Sindar? I dunno why, I thought he was Laiquendi. Must be some wrong association :D

#40 Mistress Elysia

Mistress Elysia

Officially a Dirty Old Woman

• Modder
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:33 PM

Yeah, he's Sindar, His father (Thranduil) is Celeborns brother. Dunno who his mother is, though....aren't the Laiquendi the Sylvan elves? Because if they are, Thranduils people stayed behind with them in Mirkwood and forged a society together, so there is a good chance that his mother was one...?

The Timely Resurrection of Fade!
Mistress Elysia's fantasy artwork.
Where Darkness Resides: A Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark fanfic

I want to live, I want to experience the universe and I want to eat pie.

"Oh, little ice cream friends! Thog delays boredom-driven rampage only for you!"