Photo

Your opinion of Queen Ellesime

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: So, what do you honestly think of Ellesime? (89 member(s) have cast votes)

So, what do you honestly think of Ellesime?

1. She is a paragon of romantic beauty and virtue (7 votes [7.87%])

Percentage of vote: 7.87%

2. Heartless bitch who deserves slow and painful death (8 votes [8.99%])

Percentage of vote: 8.99%

3. Tortured soul who did something she regretted deeply (18 votes [20.22%])

Percentage of vote: 20.22%

4. A woman deeply in love who was betrayed by her lover (12 votes [13.48%])

Percentage of vote: 13.48%

5. Just some perky elf in a sexy swim suit - looks hot! (4 votes [4.49%])

Percentage of vote: 4.49%

6. Don't care but she gave us some good stuff at the end (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. I wish I could romance her (8 votes [8.99%])

Percentage of vote: 8.99%

8. I hate elves, period - they are all snobs and pointy-eared freaks (6 votes [6.74%])

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

9. I wish you could kill her and loot the body (6 votes [6.74%])

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

10. None of the above - it is rather more complicated (9 votes [10.11%])

Percentage of vote: 10.11%

11. None of the above - but there are a few answers that fit somewhat (11 votes [12.36%])

Percentage of vote: 12.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 13 December 2003 - 02:18 PM

Yep, Tolkien's genealogy is patronimical, lol. Unless thier importance is beyound son-producing, you'd not find female names...unless of course there were two son-producing wives.

IIRC (time to re-read Sil again) those are Teleri who settled in Ossiriand as opposite to Beleriand and the word is green as opposite to gray...i do not know if the difference corresponds to sylvan and moon in FR.

OK, that of course has nothing to do with Ellesime. Sorry!

BTW, are there any images of Melian?

#42 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 08:23 PM

Tolkien and FR elves always confuse me! But then again apparently people are telling me if u read enough RR himself can be quite inconsistent.

I cannot find the thread anymore or even remember where I read that Jon acted out of jealousy. So Ellesime had a part in his downfall if I did not skip some Othello-eske plot involving Bodhi - BTW is this also her elven name as it harbours such a dark brooding promise to my ears-. Her self-righteousness is part of their disgusting FR-elven attitude of the torchbearers of eternity. Tolkiens elves are different as they are aware of their constant struggle and a paradise lost with the light of the trees, their eternity is one of regret and sorrow.

So if it had not been in the way of our - speaking the PCs- godhood Suldanessellar and her queen would have gotten what their past ill judgement had gotten them.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#43 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 22 December 2003 - 11:47 AM

cannot find the thread anymore or even remember where I read that Jon acted out of jealousy.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
As far as the game goes Ellesime never was untrue to Irenicus.

So Ellesime had a part in his downfall if I did not skip some Othello-eske plot involving Bodhi

Bodhi influenced/dared Irenicus to get the godhood for both of them by stealing the bliss of the city...

Her self-righteousness is part of their disgusting FR-elven attitude of the torchbearers of eternity. Tolkiens elves are different as they are aware of their constant struggle and a paradise lost with the light of the trees, their eternity is one of regret and sorrow.

Faenor comes to mind....FR elves have slightly exagerated attitude of Tolkien's, that's all. Faerunian elves are also currently in Retreat, as they lose lands and influence - they are living the shores of Faerun... WHAT self-righteousness? What self-righteousness? For gods sake, can someone explain what self-righteousness? The woman was in love, suffered through the worst possible betrail, still found enough guts to spare the traitor and till the very end pleaded with him not to destroy - and she is self-righteous? What's humility then?

So if it had not been in the way of our - speaking the PCs- godhood Suldanessellar and her queen would have gotten what their past ill judgement had gotten them.

That ill-jugjement is called "mercy".

#44 Grey Acumen

Grey Acumen

Hunter of the Doomed

• 2047 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 01:22 PM

I always thought that Ellesime was decent enough, but the inherent arrogance of elves in general(not the snooty kind, just the general idea that they couldn't possibly make mistakes, because they are such a wise and learned race <_< )

It sort of like the movie; The Mummy. I mean, who the hell would give someone who was obviously powerhungry more power? I think that Ellesime and the rest of the elven council(whatever) had underestimated just how powerful Jon could become.
Improved Beastmaster ---------- [Complete!]
Mime Bardic Kit ------------------- [Complete!]
Rebalanced Use Any Item HLA -- [Complete!]
Improved Wizard Slayer --------- [Complete!]
Stormsinger Ultimate Elemental Bardic Kit [75%]

Find out what else is in store at Acumen's Assortment

#45 Sphira

Sphira

mod muse

• 427 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 10:02 PM

I find Ellesime arrogant and not as wise as she claims herself to be or as others do; it was this arrogance and naivety of love that made her believe that Joneleth would redeem himself. Deep down, I think she doesn?t understand the meaning of love nor responsibility. If she was truly so responsible or so wise of if she cared about her people; she would of executed Jon.

I think what made me cold to Ellesime was the fact she used past tense when speaking to Joneleth; that she swept everything away of him from her gaze. It bruised her pride and her ego. I would except her to move on, but she seems just as warm as Joneleth to you and towards others..
Kaoemeth -=Just Another Evil Romance.=-

Little Mindflayers come from drunken storks.

#46 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 12:19 AM

I hate elves... so my perception of Ellesime is more than a little skewed. She and the elves of her home were responsible for creating Irenicus, or in the very least share some of the responsibility. They stripped him of his soul and brought his vengeance upon themselves. Ellesime should've merely exiled Irenicus, especially if he was still a good person at heart. Of course, Baldur's Gate 2 wouldn't be quite the same, now would it?

I loved making the elves pay for their isolationistic ways in Warcraft 3 by wiping them all out as the undead scourge. Elves are never prepared to deal with a problem unless it invades their homeland. Fools. :D
"If you remember me, then you must also remember what you did!"

~ Edge, Panzer Dragoon Saga

#47 -fallen_demon-

-fallen_demon-

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:44 PM

But Jonelth wasn't that much of a threat at the time of his exile. He didn't become powerful enough to return until after his exile (which could have been centuries, he did restore his imortallity) and even then only after stealing the soul of a godchild (well, the > part in any case) and enlisting the help of both the drow and the rakasha. Ellesime had no way of predicting that the time of troubles and the bhaalspawn crisis could happen, let alone it making Irenicus so powerful, so her mercy wasn't misguided. Also, im not saying its right, but based on the elves isolationist view, exile and making him for all intesive porposes human is almost as bad as death.

#48 -Cybersquirt-

-Cybersquirt-

Posted 22 March 2004 - 08:55 PM

I'd like to see a new poll: Is Ellesime responsible for Joneleth becoming Irenicus? (..not just symbolically, but to the point that she should also pay some sort of penance.) If so, just how responsible is she?

#49 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:30 PM

I'd like to see a new poll: Is Ellesime responsible for Joneleth becoming Irenicus? (..not just symbolically, but to the point that she should also pay some sort of penance.) If so, just how responsible is she?

I think we might try to do this poll indeed. It sounds interesting. But maybe a bit later? When the tempers cool down a bit and I will feel like discussion again. :)

Thank you very much for the input!

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#50 -Cybersquirt-

-Cybersquirt-

Posted 23 March 2004 - 02:55 AM

fair enough Dorotea ;)

now then:

For me to read that Ellesime is/may be made responsible for Jon doing what he did is.. obscene.

There are degrees of responsibility, you know. Like giving a recovering alchoholic a drink because he wants one so badly that you feel sorry for him.

Regardless of what Ellesime did or didn't do with, to or for her boyfriend the first time around, when Irenicus was caught red-handed trying to destroy the ToL, she turned him into a Not-an-Elf and just let him go. No probation officer. No guidance. No stripping-him-of-his-uber-powers-for-safety's-sake. Nothing. So I'd say her omissions left her with a pretty heavy load of responsibility for Jon's subsequent career. It certainly wasn't as though she had to *guess* what atrocities he was capable of.

So it's your position that Ellesime is responsible for what Jon might do. In that light, I'm not sure what your point about the alcoholic and the drink is.

#51 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 07:07 AM

Responsiblity is not a single thing, like a single coin, such that if one person has possession of it another cannot. Responsibility can be shared and almost always is. It is also not necessary for a person to have been a willing co-conspirator in a crime to have a share in the responsibility for a criminal act. Failure to perform some simple, reasonable and prudent act which would prevent a crime entails a *share* in the responsibility for it.

As the facts are given in SoA, Ellesime was in exactly situation in regard to Joneleth. He had attempted to commit a monstrous crime, the destruction of the Tree of Life. Subsequently, it was entirely up to Ellesime to decide what to do with the culprit. The punishment she inflicted was insulting (he was stripped of elvishness) and somewhat injurious (his lifespan was much reduced) but it entailed nothing - no provision whatsoever - that impaired his capacity to inflict further harm. Considering what she knew him to be capable of - the spiritual and/or the physical destruction of an entire community for purposes of self-aggrandizement - her failure to act, when such action was well within her power, to place any restraint upon Joneleth's capacity to inflict further harm gives her a generous allowance of responsibility for such harm as Irenicus did inflict. Ellesime was not a participant in such acts; she did, however, have the responsibility to act. She had an undoubted capacity to enforce whatever conditions she saw fit. She certainly had reasonable and prudent grounds for placing significant limitations on Irenicus' freedom. Yet she did nothing of the sort. Nothing, at all, whatsoever. Apparently, just made a vague, pious wish that he might rehabilitate himself and then forgot he existed. So, to the degree that one can expect any practicality at all from a romantic elven queen, ruling a magical realm deep within a Faery wood, Ellesime had a definite share of responsibility for everything Irenicus did because she failed to take any steps to prevent his doing it.

Btw, if you are unfamiliar with the moral and legal background on the recovering drunk in the USA, forget him. He was just an example and to explain his case would take even more space than this already over-long post occupies.
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#52 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 07:12 AM

But Jonelth wasn't that much of a threat at the time of his exile.

Joneleth was an archmage powerful enough to nearly drain the Tree of Life at the time of his exile.

He didn't become powerful enough to return until after his exile (which could have been centuries, he did restore his imortallity)

...huh? Where did you get that idea?

and even then only after stealing the soul of a godchild (well, the > part in any case) and enlisting the help of both the drow and the rakasha.  Ellesime had no way of predicting that the time of troubles and the bhaalspawn crisis could happen, let alone it making Irenicus so powerful, so her mercy wasn't misguided.

She knew she was turning loose a maniacal archmage on the world. She may not have known he could try to become a god again, but she certainly should have known he could construct his laboratory and torture people.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#53 -Domi_S-

-Domi_S-

Posted 23 March 2004 - 07:28 AM

Joneleth was an archmage powerful enough to nearly drain the Tree of Life at the time of his exile.

Elven ability to cast arcain magic comes from their elven ability to connect to the Weave directly. Theoretically, severing Irenicus from Elven spirit was also denying him all of his magical powers. In fact, I am pretty positive that he had to re-learn casting as a human, drawing power through Mystra. Ellesime have counted on the desire of every elf to be an elf above all to bring him back to the community in less pridful state of mind.

#54 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 07:47 AM

Elven ability to cast arcain magic comes from their elven ability to connect to the Weave directly. Theoretically, severing Irenicus from Elven spirit was also denying him all of his magical powers. In fact, I am pretty positive that he had to re-learn casting as a human, drawing power through Mystra. Ellesime have counted on the desire of every elf to be an elf above all to bring him back to the community in less pridful state of mind.

That's a fine and romantic justifcation and perfectly acceptable from the pov of the fantasy genre. Even within that context though, Joneleth's ambition was, demonstrably, to become an elven *god*. To put him in circumstances in which he was neither elf nor god and then to place all one's hopes on his subsequent ambitions focusing on recovery of the 'elven' half of the equation, rather than the 'god' part, was...sanguine?...of her to say no more. Indeed, the implication is that she valued giving Joneleth one slim final chance to redeem himself above her throne, her realm and her own life. Again, perfectly defensible from a romantic pov. Not al all practical, though, which is the vantage I personally prefer.
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#55 -Cybersquirt-

-Cybersquirt-

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:16 PM

Responsiblity is not a single thing, like a single coin, such that if one person has possession of it another cannot. Responsibility can be shared and almost always is. It is also not necessary for a person to have been a willing co-conspirator in a crime to have a share in the responsibility for a criminal act.

See.. this is why I am not a lover of law. You're a lawyer aren't you? :P
Legally (guilty) would mean 'to the point that she should pay some form of penance'. Because, while I am aware of the definition of responsibility, I think there needs to be a degree of ..humanity or compassion involved - hence my use of the word symbolic. (not guilty by way of extenuating circumstances?)

Failure to perform some simple, reasonable and prudent act which would prevent a crime entails a *share* in the responsibility for it.

This is the tricky part. And, honestly, I am not familiar enough with the DnD realm to argue one way or another about the legitimacy of this statement as it applies to Ellesime. I believe the game (for better or worse) when it tells me that she loved Jon and gave him a punishment she thought to be overly harsh with the hope.. blah-blah. It was a bad day to be the queen.

About that drunk.. and I thought you might bring up compassion :rolleyes: Good thing I asked.

Regardless, I thank you for the detailed explaination.

#56 -Cybersquirt-

-Cybersquirt-

Posted 23 March 2004 - 04:22 PM

I don't see Ellesime having the ability to read into the future; the only part of a romantic notion that exists in her punishment was that she made the mistake of thinking that Jon would go the -other- way. How could she honestly have known that he wouldn't, based on the man she knew? Isn't that a "good-aligned" trait - To try and see the best in all things? ..even if it's optimistic to the point of being detrimental. :lol:

To suggest that she knew what Jon was capable of and left him capable of doing it means that Ellesime is not the good elf Queen but the evil elf Queen - something I have a really hard time with.

Bottom line, if Jon didn't do what he did then we wouldn't have a game. The designers left holes and contradictions elsewhere and I would be comfortable ascribing this to one of those - I think that any elf who could rise to the level of Queen should have been smarter than that. But I still don't think she's responsible to the point of guilt in the truest (altruistic, perhaps) sense. Intent is key in my definition of responsibility.

I should probably add that if Domi's assertion is correct than it becomes more than a romantic notion - it becomes a reasonable act to reduce Jon's abilities; we are dealing in the fantasy genre.

Edited by Cybersquirt, 23 March 2004 - 04:48 PM.

#57 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 10:53 PM

I don't see Ellesime having the ability to read into the future; the only part of a romantic notion that exists in her punishment was that she made the mistake of thinking that Jon would go the -other- way.  How could she honestly have known that he wouldn't, based on the man she knew? 

As Joneleth, he tried to destroy the Tree of Life in order to become a god. Isn't that a fairly good clue about what he was capable of?

Isn't that a "good-aligned" trait - To try and see the best in all things? ..even if it's optimistic to the point of being detrimental.  :lol:

Good intentions are important to Good alignment but aren't sufficient to insure Good results. For that, one also has to know what one is doing. Neville Chamberlain *intended* to appease Hitler and remove all causes for a European War. The result of his efforts was World War II. Moral: it is possible to be stupid and Good. It is rather important *not* to be stupid in order to achieve Good.

I should probably add that if Domi's assertion is correct than it becomes more than a romantic notion - it becomes a reasonable act to reduce Jon's abilities

True. However, his power is formidible at the start of SoA. Whether he simply retained it, against theoretical expectation, or spent some time in re-acquiring it, his metamorphosis can't have been an insuperable barrier or else, as you noted, there wouldn't be a game. Since he did achieve such power - without any corresponding notoriety as the Evil Archmage Irenicus - I infer that the process hadn't, in all likelihood, given him much difficulty. And if it hadn't, then Ellesime should have known that it would not and taken suitable precautions against such an eventuality. Manifestly, she did not.

To suggest that she knew what Jon was capable of and left him capable of doing it means that Ellesime is not the good elf Queen but the evil elf Queen - something I have a really hard time with.

Those alternatives do not exhaust the possibilities. She may also have been a good-hearted, well-intentioned bungler.

Intent is key in my definition of responsibility.

But not the only key, surely. Queens have, I should say, the responsibility to exercise common sense on facts known at the time when rendering important judgments.
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#58 Arcalian

Arcalian
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:42 PM

None of the above.....see, for me she's just part of Irenicus' backstory. Neither love, nor hate. Part of the scenery, if you will.

#59 -Tancred-

-Tancred-

Posted 30 May 2004 - 05:17 AM

*thinks*

*thinks harder*

I know this may sound a bit silly, but... has anyone considered tweaking the story to close the plot hole and make the Suldanesselar elves and their Queen a little less completely stupid? Even now the bare-faced plot oddity of Ellesime allowing Jon to roam seems completely warped.

Things would make considerably more sense if, for example, Jon and Bodhi were incarcerated in Suldanesselar pending a suitable punishment, but escaped and fled - and the exile and curse of soulessness was laid upon them by Ellesime from a distance after they'd left. After all, no-one ever said that Ellesime stripped Jon of his soul while she was standing in front of him - if she can commune with Rillifane, I daresay that god can arrange a curse like that wherever Jon and Bodhi might be.

Ellesime would have still hoped for Jon's repentance while he was imprisoned, and would feel very much disappointed by his stubbornness in escaping; and Jon would still have his quest for vengeance against his kin, as he is forced to deal with a punishment that, to him, seems even more extravagant and vicious than anything he could have done - especially as he knows exactly who must be behind it.

#60 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 01:39 PM

I think people are looking at it to much in modern standards. In ancient times exile was very common, and Irenicus finding a way to become a danger to them was much harder to predict then he and bhodi escaping would be. He's a result of how concided the elves were, which for me seems to fit. He violated the tree of life, the thing which made them 'immortal' and made them elven, so he was forced to walk the world without it (now that i think about it, i don't remember the elves saying they would drop dead, just that they would die, could mean eventually) made into a mockery of humans. We tend to rely on logic more and our emotions less than the elves and are generally less atractive, so he was left emotionless, cold, calculating and ugly.
"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock