Photo

Eve of War [Work in Progress]

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 yellow hat elminster

yellow hat elminster
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

Please note: Due to unforeseen circumstances this project has been delayed until the release of "Adventure Y". Having already put a considerable number of hours into it I have every intention of continuing to work on it. However, due to the fact that I am now doing contract work for Overhaul I have decided to withhold its release until after Adventure Y is released.

I plan on starting a beta test for what I'm calling "Phase I" of the mod at some point within the next few weeks. More details on what is included in Phase I can be found here.

http://forum.baldurs...#Comment_615808

In other words not everything you see listed below will be implemented all at once.

The idea of the mod is to basically flesh out the original game more. Both in the sense of expanding on the significance of the games plot as well as expanding on what is available in some of the games areas (this is going to be largely as a result of what has been written in books like the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, Lands of Intrigue, and the Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast).

This mod largely begins once you enter Beregost. Its storyline expands over the course of chapters 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 though there will be some minor additions made in Chapters 1 and 2.

Plot Summary

Spoiler

Features

- Variables created in this mod will be used in its successor mod for BG2EE. I haven't worked out all the details on this yet though. I'm also waiting to see what Beamdog does with Adventure Y, as that will likely have an impact on this mod.

Friendly Arm Inn

- On the northern edge of the map along the road you can run into a caravan (a merchant with a horse next to him). You can claim you are a bandit and then threaten to take his goods. This is taking advantage of the unused banmer.dlg file from the original game (chapter 3). If you have taken the goods then when you encounter the bandits in either Peldvale or Larswood you can use it to convince them of your worth.

- The Friendly Arm Inn's courtyard has been converted into a makeshift warcamp. Flaming Fist troops can be found training in it (chapter 5 or later).

Beregost

- Adds a militia headquarters to Beregost and labels the Travenhurst Manor as the Town Council building.

- Kelddath Ormlyr, Taerom, and a Shadow (representing Thalantyr) are now added around the table in the Town Council buildings first floor

- Adds militia to the streets of Beregost (this occurs starting in Chapter 3). 

- Adds Modest (a drunk Blade) to the towns inns (his location will vary to a degree depending upon the time of day).

- Adds a thief named Bethi to one of the gardens in the north-west corner of Beregost. She sells you iron goods that won't break as well as some specialty items from Waterdeep.

- The Flaming Fist now have a much more visible presence in the city, alongside the towns militia (Chapter 5). This presence again increases in chapter 6 
- Local bartenders and acolytes in the temple (through acquired drinks and temple donations) comment on the fear they now have over the possibility of a war.

High Hedge

- An Aquatic Elf can now be found near a pond in the north-west corner of the map. She can be pressed about her relationship with Thalantyr (and she will serve as a witness to the events involving his murder).

- There is a quest involving Thalantyr being found murdered (chapter 4 or later).

South of High Hedge

- You can find a journal on Bassilus now. You can either read the journal and travel to the Mountain of Skulls (a Cyric Stronghold in the Cloudpeaks), or you can talk to Kelddath to learn more about what he knows about Bassilus beforehand. This is part of a quest that involves wiping out any followers of Cyric in the region.

South South of High Hedge

- Drizzt and his full group of companions (who have been largely adjusted to fit their descriptions in the Heroes Lorebook) can be found here. Remember though, if you attack one you attack them all!

Nashkel

- Jasha Istor will approach any party trying to enter Nashkel and demand that they pay her off (she is an Icepriest of Auril). She offers temple services and you can also donate to her (through dialogue options) in order to lower your reputation. A low reputation character can also buy specialty goods from her (including the Snow Maiden's Reaver that exclusively does cold damage that is normally found in Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition).

-The Inn in Nashkel has been renamed the Northern Light Inn. Its owner is now a mage by the name of Reis Kensiddar.

Spoiler

- The store in Nashkel is now named the Cloud Peak Outfitters and is run by a halfling named Salla Pitontoe. 

- The probability of it snowing is increased to 50 percent. It also will start snowing now when you first arrive in town (this is due to Nashkel being 2000 feet above sea level).

- A thief will appear late at night for those looking to purchase weapons and items from the Shadow Thieves in Athkatla (chapter 3 or later).

- The town's mayor will remain in front of the temple at the conclusion of the quest regarding the Nashkel Mines (normally I believe he escapearea's away). If talked to again he will complain about the increase in troops.

Carnival and Nashkel Mines

- The probability of it snowing is increased to 50 percent (this is due to Nashkel being 5000 feet above sea level).

Gullykin

- Gullykin is now a wild magic area.

- You can also talk to Gandolar to get a quest regarding finding out what happened to the tunnel rats.

Cloakwood Forest

- You can now cast "Remove Curse" on Centeol, which causes her to transform back into a sorceress. This presents an alternative to outright killing her.

Baldur's Gate (the city)

- The Temple of Umberlee now allows you to purchase goods from them and receive church services (chapter 5 or later).
- A temple dedicated to Mask now exists in the thieves guild (chapter 5 or later).
- Halbazzer Drin is now given the Meteor spell (and the instructions to cast it in his scripting). (chapter 5 or later)

- The compliment of Flaming Fists in the streets is increased (chapter 6 and later). 
- You can talk to "Merchants" found outside who will complain frequently of the rising levies on their goods to pay for this increase in troops, as well as the demands made on their businesses. If logistically possible I hope to also reduce the number of civilians in the streets (chapter 6 and later). 

Quests

- Contains 8 new quests.

- You are given a series of tasks to secure cheaper tavern drinks for Beregost's militia.

- You are given a quest to get Modest back on his feet. You must convince him to serve as a junior member of the town council or as a lieutenant in the militia.

- You are asked to root out the cult dedicated to Cyric found in the Cloudpeak Mountains.

- Darren reluctantly asks you to acquire better armor and weapons for the towns militia from Bethi.

- Find the missing tunnel rats.

- Thalantyr is found murdered.

- Kelddath Ormlyr wants you can get the leaders of other small communities near Beregost (Gullykin, the Friendly Arm Inn and Ulgoth's Beard) to agree to take any refugees in the event of an invasion.

- Final quest (Defeat the Zhentarim in city or kill Duke Eltan).

Anyways, figured I'd post this to see if anyone here has any suggestions regarding it. If you are active on the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition forums you can also find my thread for it there.

http://forum.baldurs...-in-progress/p1

Edited by yellow hat elminster, 17 July 2015 - 03:30 AM.