[closed]

• Please log in to reply
1187 replies to this topic

#161 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:00 AM

Are there any preview pics from the new areas???

There are just too many new areas....Here is a teaser of some smaller ones

The party meets Naronguth at his lair

Visit Sharess'  Festhall at Waterdeep

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#162 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:00 AM

Are there any preview pics from the new areas???

There are just too many new areas....Here is a teaser of some smaller ones

The party meets Naronguth at his lair

Visit Sharess'  Festhall at Waterdeep

The Sandrah Saga

#163 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:18 AM

Sandrah and Kivan possible error correction

Possibility for compile error detected during Sandrah extensions installation

ERROR: Failure("resource [BP#KIV.DLG] not found for 'CHAIN3'")

In this case put the attached CVSlam.d file into the SandrahNPC/d/ folder allowing to override existing file and then run setup again.

The Sandrah Saga

#164 -qwerty-

-qwerty-

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:15 PM

Somehow i managed to complete installation. The cause was indeed version of Drizzt Saga, not compatible with BGT. Well, there where other problems, i had to install Kivan and Yikari mod, but after that everything went smoothly, so now it's time to play. Once again thank you Roxanne for your help.

#165 Benji

Benji
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:53 AM

I've been playing through this mod and have a few comments/questions...

1. Is there a list of quests? I saw the mini-walkthrough, but I was looking for something that lists everything (I don't need a guide of how to complete them, I just want to know that I'm doing everything)
2. What would you say is an 'optimal' group? I'm running with Sandrah, Jen'Lig, Viconia, Finch and Imoen at the moment and again, I don't want to miss out on anything.

3. Speaking of Viconia, what is the deal with the scrap of fabric she gives you?

4. When I first recruited Jen'Lig, she had the option to be dual-classed (probably from another mod) but when I tried that the game crashed. I think it might have been due to the game wanting to change her paperdoll perhaps?

5. When I visited the Lighthouse area I got some conversation regarding a pirate lord or something? I think this is part of the Finch quest but I hadn't started it at that point.

6. Is the mod 100% content complete, or is there some stuff that hasn't been implemented yet?

I've got some opinions about the mod as well but I'll keep them to myself until I've gotten further. I'll probably have more questions later as well.

#166 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:42 AM

I've been playing through this mod and have a few comments/questions...

1. Is there a list of quests? I saw the mini-walkthrough, but I was looking for something that lists everything (I don't need a guide of how to complete them, I just want to know that I'm doing everything)

The mini-walkthrough you refered to lists the stuff that starts in the BG1 part of the trilogy for any party - there are additional things (little mini-quests) that depend on some party members being present. I have not listed them because you probably cannot find all of them in one game.

2. What would you say is an 'optimal' group? I'm running with Sandrah, Jen'Lig, Viconia, Finch and Imoen at the moment and again, I don't want to miss out on anything.

That is a pretty good choice as Jen'lig and Imoen have both extensive quests during BG1, the other two are as good as any other constellation. One of my ideas was to make the game interesting even for a choice of NPCs that are not too common.

The possible party members that have not been considered (i.e. have no interactions with Sandrah or Jen'lig) are those from DSotC, who have no banters (except for Jet'laya as you need her for the part of her quest) ; Drizzt's companions (for the same reason); some other NPCs that have no or little own contents.

3. Speaking of Viconia, what is the deal with the scrap of fabric she gives you?

Spoiler

4. When I first recruited Jen'Lig, she had the option to be dual-classed (probably from another mod) but when I tried that the game crashed. I think it might have been due to the game wanting to change her paperdoll perhaps?

I need to investigate that issue. Maybe it is a basic ability of a thief or of a githyanki to dual-class?? I hope it is not hardcoded in the game, so I can change it. The option should not be there.

Anyway, the basic abilities of her race alone already make her a bit of a fighter/thief because a githyanki is bred as a fighter and in the higher classes also has some special abilities in combat.

PS: ToBEx has a component that allows Dual Classing for all races. Do you have this installed?

5. When I visited the Lighthouse area I got some conversation regarding a pirate lord or something? I think this is part of the Finch quest but I hadn't started it at that point.

Spoiler

6. Is the mod 100% content complete, or is there some stuff that hasn't been implemented yet?

Everything that is started with the current version can also be resolved. Coming versions will add some more quests independently. 

On the other hand, some of the larger quests, including Sandrah's main story, run across all three parts of the game. When you finish BG1 not all of the new quests will be resolved, some of them continue until ToB and some of them are even continued in the Return to Faerun sequel.

I've got some opinions about the mod as well but I'll keep them to myself until I've gotten further. I'll probably have more questions later as well.

I hope you stay interested.

Spoiler

Edited by Roxanne, 08 June 2015 - 11:50 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#167 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:51 AM

I need to investigate that issue. Maybe it is a basic ability of a thief or of a githyanki to dual-class?? I hope it is not hardcoded in the game, so I can change it. The option should not be there.
Anyway, the basic abilities of her race alone already make her a bit of a fighter/thief because a githyanki is bred as a fighter and in the higher classes also has some special abilities in combat.

Well, the ToBEx can allow any race to multi and dual class kinda, but it's of course not perfect. So if Benji has that, it could be that is where that came from.

Edited by The Imp, 08 June 2015 - 11:52 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#168 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:30 PM

Well, the ToBEx can allow any race to multi and dual class kinda, but it's of course not perfect. So if Benji has that, it could be that is where that came from.

I was thinking the same. Do you know of any way to prevent this option to be available on an NPC (by the way I think it is actually multi-class here, not dual-class, if that makes any difference)??? Despite the possible CtD because of missing animation, changing her class would contradict her mod persona and storyline.

The Sandrah Saga

#169 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:54 PM

I was thinking the same. Do you know of any way to prevent this option to be available on an NPC (by the way I think it is actually multi-class here, not dual-class, if that makes any difference)??? Despite the possible CtD because of missing animation, changing her class would contradict her mod persona and storyline.
Without an editor or special kit setup, the game doesn't allow anyone to make a single class character into a multi class character, so it's likely a dual.
You can use the kits extension to the DUALCLAS.2DA -file to prevent them from dual-classing even with the ToBEx. So setting everyone of those to be zero will prevent that. You might need to make a pseudo kit to get it work that way if you are using the vanilla kits.

Edited by The Imp, 08 June 2015 - 12:55 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#170 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:01 PM

Without an editor or special kit setup, the game doesn't allow anyone to make a single class character into a multi class character, so it's likely a dual.
You can use the kits extension to the DUALCLAS.2DA -file to prevent them from dual-classing even with the ToBEx. So setting everyone of those to be zero will prevent that. You might need to make a pseudo kit to get it work that way if you are using the vanilla kits.

Thanks for the hint, I will try to assign her a kit that has all zeros and see how that works.

The Sandrah Saga

#171 Benji

Benji
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for your answers :-)

I am using TobEx which is what's allowing me to dual class her (I think). It's not a major problem, I just need to remember to never dual class her.

One final question (for now), do any characters other than Finch or Viconia add quests whilst in your party?

#172 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for your answers :-)

I am using TobEx which is what's allowing me to dual class her (I think). It's not a major problem, I just need to remember to never dual class her.

It is a problem outside of my mod and can happen with other NPCs as well with this TobEx Feature - there are a number of reports about similar issues in the Forum. Probably the feature was intended to give more options in the classes of some *standard* races (elves, dwarves) and more exotic races like in Jen'lig's case cause this issue. The solution is like you said, just do not do it, the mod cannot undo the TobEx feature.

One final question (for now), do any characters other than Finch or Viconia add quests whilst in your party?

Just to clarify, you neither need Viconia nor Finch in your party to get the quests you relate to, you just need to rescue Viconia from the mercenary trying to kill her to get an item from her - and you just need to know Finch to receive the Bookjunterr quest later on in Waterdeep. There is some banter between Sandrah and those two if you keep them (if your player is male there is some other stuff if you have Sandrah and Viconia in your party through BG1, but not a quest.)

Safana and Edwin have some mini-quests if they are in the party with Sandrah in BG1.

For more info you may want to look at this http://www.shsforums...-crossmod-list/

Edited by Roxanne, 09 June 2015 - 12:11 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#173 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:07 PM

Would you consider making Imoen Mage an Install option?

#174 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:44 PM

Yeah, and one that's completely independent of the mod itself, and while you are at it, you could allow the option to pick a mage specialty or the sorcerer Class.

#175 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:01 PM

Yeah, and one that's completely independent of the mod itself, and while you are at it, you could allow the option to pick a mage specialty or the sorcerer Class.

Technically no problem. The reason to change her at all was for continuity of character and story.

The reason for the Change is that Imoen originally was a mage (learning this at Candlekeep - who could have taught her the thieving skills there?) and she appears as that later in SoA with no reason ever given for that change. The thief option was a last minute change in the game in the absence of another suitable thief early in the game (unless you made your PC a thief). Having BGT with much more options today, t is time to revert to the original continous Imoen. If you want a thief early in the party, there is one on the second floor of the Friendly Arm now.

As a human she is able to double class into whatever you want her to be, also there are various mods allowing you to change her, even if that would be a shame.

Giving the option to select Imoen's class would also require to disable the large Imoen related quests from the Sandrah mod for the case you chose her not to be mage - this would mean losing more than you gain.

Anyway, you are free to tweak her any way you want - it will give you some odd situations later in the game but it will be obvious where they come from.

Edited by Roxanne, 15 June 2015 - 11:04 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#176 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:38 AM

Giving the option to select Imoen's class would also require to disable the large Imoen related quests from the Sandrah mod for the case you chose her not to be mage - this would mean losing more than you gain.
Sorry, but I cannot follow you to this road of half truths. The reason being that I find it really hard to digest the concept that only the one NPC can do said thing Y, as the NPC is more than his/her class, to me at least... being playing with the Level 1 NPCs mod helps at this very much. I can understand that you would hesitate to give a reward to an NPC that does not have the class required to utilize the skill(because of game mechanics) or the quest itself can require the party member to do somethings that only a mage can... But here again comes the thing, the mage that does the deed doesn't need to be the NPC you picked as the target, so the reward can be given to the mage that does the deed, and not the NPC you picked.
Yes, it can require quite a few rewrites, but please, at least consider it.

Edited by The Imp, 16 June 2015 - 12:45 AM.

#177 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:06 AM

Sorry, but I cannot follow you to this road of half truths. The reason being that I find it really hard to digest the concept that only the one NPC can do said thing Y, as the NPC is more than his/her class, to me at least... being playing with the Level 1 NPCs mod helps at this very much. I can understand that you would hesitate to give a reward to an NPC that does not have the class required to utilize the skill(because of game mechanics) or the quest itself can require the party member to do somethings that only a mage can... But here again comes the thing, the mage that does the deed doesn't need to be the NPC you picked as the target, so the reward can be given to the mage that does the deed, and not the NPC you picked.
Yes, it can require quite a few rewrites, but please, at least consider it.

We probably misunderstood each other here. It is not so much abilities etc of a class that is the issue here, but the extra story and resulting quests given to Imoen by the Sandrah mod starting with her keeping Tarnesh's spellbook. Would she be thief or any other class, the contents of the mod options makes no sense anymore. Considering this, her role in the RtF sequel would appear inconsequental as well.

The Sandrah mod promised some new experience with the game which includes to shed some new aspects even on characters you seem to know quite well. I have been very careful not to conflict with any existing material but some NPC evolve during the game trilogy to new directions (Imoen, Shar-Teel, Edwin, Minsc, Nalia, to name a few) and re-appear in that role in RtF.

Anyway - I will provide an installation option (Consistent Imoen y/n) to make this more obvious.

Edited by Roxanne, 16 June 2015 - 02:28 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#178 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:00 AM

In my opinion, I personally prefer Vlad's implementation in NeJ for Charming Rogue Imoen. This let's me have an Imoen who is still a rogue and can gain rogue levels, but can cast spells and have legitimacy getting caught by Irenicus later. I can also dual Imoen at any time at 2nd level or later. I'd rather have the freedom to dual class at any point and if I want to dual a little later and the dialogue is a little out of sync, so be it. If your mod assumes Imoen mage from start that's okay and by all means warn us during the install, but let us please be default (or already modded) Imoen and keep the quests. Also, Rogues are known for meddling with magic and are supposed to be able to read scrolls at 10th level. So that's still some justification for some benefit

#179 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:46 AM

In my opinion, I personally prefer Vlad's implementation in NeJ for Charming Rogue Imoen. This let's me have an Imoen who is still a rogue and can gain rogue levels, but can cast spells and have legitimacy getting caught by Irenicus later. I can also dual Imoen at any time at 2nd level or later. I'd rather have the freedom to dual class at any point and if I want to dual a little later and the dialogue is a little out of sync, so be it. If your mod assumes Imoen mage from start that's okay and by all means warn us during the install, but let us please be default (or already modded) Imoen and keep the quests.

I will add an adequate option and also a similar option for Minsc (he finds his destiny during SoA, he will not appear in ToB and he plays another role during RtF) to the very beginning of the installation to request consent for these changes. This way it will prevent later surprises while playing the game for the users.

As both changes are pre-requisites for Return to Faerun, an unessessary implementation will be prevented for incompatible choices.

Also, Rogues are known for meddling with magic and are supposed to be able to read scrolls at 10th level. So that's still some justification for some benefit

The Sandrah Saga

#180 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:53 AM

In my opinion, I personally prefer Vlad's implementation in NeJ for Charming Rogue Imoen. This let's me have an Imoen who is still a rogue and can gain rogue levels, but can cast spells and have legitimacy getting caught by Irenicus later. I can also dual Imoen at any time at 2nd level or later. I'd rather have the freedom to dual class at any point and if I want to dual a little later and the dialogue is a little out of sync, so be it. If your mod assumes Imoen mage from start that's okay and by all means warn us during the install, but let us please be default (or already modded) Imoen and keep the quests.

I will add an adequate option and also a similar option for Minsc (he finds his destiny during SoA, he will not appear in ToB and he plays another role during RtF) to the very beginning of the installation to request consent for these changes. This way it will prevent later surprises while playing the game for the users.

As both changes are pre-requisites for Return to Faerun, an unessessary implementation will be prevented for incompatible choices.

Also, Rogues are known for meddling with magic and are supposed to be able to read scrolls at 10th level. So that's still some justification for some benefit

As explained for another post #177 above), the abilities and charecteristics of Imoen as a mage are of no significance - the issue is her background story for the contents of her quests and her further role after ToB, not much of it would make sense for a thief character.

The Sandrah Saga