Photo

Entangle slowdowns + aggro, weird enemies?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Khatoblepas

Khatoblepas
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:11 PM

I've been helping a friend play a modded version of Baldur's Gate recently, and we've come across something really weird in our version.

The most worrying thing is that whenever an enemy casts Web or Entangle, the computer slows to a crawl and the spell effects refuse to end, even after days of waiting and resting, and moving to an inn aggros all NPCs there - somehow having Web's effect persist on us is a hostile action. We can use Ctrl-R to remove the web effect from the party, but the computer slowdown persists on the maps where it was originally cast. Rings of Free Action and similar don't seem to protect against this version of Web either! This renders maps like the Spider Forest completely unplayable, due to the spiders love of casting Web. The Spider Forest map is now a vast wasteland of lag, even when there is no Web effect currently on screen! Is there some way to dummy out Web's spell effect or something so that we don't have to suffer slowdown and map ruination every time we encounter a spider?

The second thing is a minor annoyance, but there are enemies that look like werewolves called Orc A that are immune to normal weapons and have potions of vocalize that show up occasionally. They only give 5XP, and are a bit irritating, but are otherwise harmless. Is it possible to get rid of these?

Is it a particular mod that is installed, or a bad interplay between them?

Thank you in advance, I hope I posted this in the right place. I hope we won't have to redo our game over, too. :(

(Whoops, it seems I got logged out with that last post, sorry :( The Guest at the bottom is me!)

Attached Files

Edited by Khatoblepas, 06 July 2015 - 04:35 PM.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:35 PM

This is likely part of the problem:

~SETUP-SPELLPACKB6.TP2~ #0 #2215 // Web: BWP Fix

As I have read others report that...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:30 PM

For the second part, it's Tomoyo and the Underground City. Orc translation is correct

#4 Khatoblepas

Khatoblepas
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:33 AM

Sorry for my naivety, but how do I remove these parts without uninstalling Baldur's Gate? I really don't want to have to reinstall the megamod, it takes ages. :(

Is it even possible to do it?

#5 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

Sorry for my naivety, but how do I remove these parts without uninstalling Baldur's Gate? I really don't want to have to reinstall the megamod, it takes ages. :(

Is it even possible to do it?

Well, it is possible... but it comes with it's own delaying effect, as the weidu.exe that all the mods you have installed use will need to uninstall all the components that were installed after the component you intent to uninstall, then skip the component and then reinstall all the rests of the mods... and a warning as it just so happens that the BiG World tools that you used to install the rest of the components actually do a few manual changes to the files, so there might be unforeseen consequences and errors in the rest of the mods ... so it's really bad to uninstall just one component ... but it can be done with just starting the SETUP-SPELLPACKB6.exe in the game folder.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#6 -Khatoblepas-

-Khatoblepas-

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

Thank you for your help so far! You've all been very helpful :)

But, we got another problem with our setup, the other problems we found workarounds for (basically just instakilling spiders on encountering them, it's not that big a deal), but this one seems to be a game breaker.

In Baldur's Gate, whenever we try to transition from one part of the city to another, the game crashes. Going back to the world map is fine, but we can not access any parts of Baldur's Gate apart from the beginning bit with our setup. Not sure why?

Is it possible to brute force the game into taking us to the other parts of Baldur's Gate or fix this bug?

#7 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:49 PM

Is it possible to brute force the game into taking us to the other parts of Baldur's Gate or fix this bug?

You can try to use the Console and the area codes with this:

CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("ar7400")

For example to move to the North East part of the BG city.

Edited by The Imp, 06 July 2015 - 04:51 PM.

#8 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

This is likely part of the problem:
~SETUP-SPELLPACKB6.TP2~ #0 #2215 // Web: BWP Fix

As I have read others report that...

I had the same problem. It is caused by SpellpackB6 (even if I guess it is component 1203)

The way to fix it without re-installing my super-mega BGT installation was to copy d0spiweb.spl from the spellpackb6/backup/1203 folder into override. No more problems since then.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#9 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:20 PM

Could someone attach the before and after versions of an affected spell so we can block the animation itself from installing? :P

The before version would be the one in spellpack's backup folder
The after version is the one you overwrite in the override (or the one yOu can export using nearinfinity or something before putting the before version in yiur override)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#10 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:45 PM

Could someone attach the before and after versions of an affected spell so we can block the animation itself from installing? :P

The before version would be the one in spellpack's backup folder
The after version is the one you overwrite in the override (or the one yOu can export using nearinfinity or something before putting the before version in yiur override)

This is the one before it got changed and which I now use without problems (as restored from spellback backup folder)

This is the modded one that caused the unwanted effects

NB A mod called iwdfication seems to have changed the spell before the spellpack itself, however this does not seem to be the source of problems (also, this mod is not in the Weidu.log in the first post of this thread)

Edited by Roxanne, 07 July 2015 - 11:57 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#11 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:04 AM

Thanks for the report. After a couple of years away from the modding community, I am back and am in the process of updating SpellPack.

I am aware of the issues with components Web/Hypnotic Pattern/Mental Domination/Insect Plague/Seclusion, so the spells will be redone for the next version. Hope there are no other issues with the other components.

Edited by Galactygon, 08 July 2015 - 02:16 AM.

Posted Image

#12 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:34 AM

Thanks for the report. After a couple of years away from the modding community, I am back and am in the process of updating SpellPack.

I am aware of the issues with components Web/Hypnotic Pattern/Mental Domination/Insect Plague/Seclusion, so the spells will be redone for the next version. Hope there are no other issues with the other components.

I have sometimes encountered problems with spells that use invisible creatures in area spells, but I am not sure which mods introduced them and if that is a related problem. For my own convenience I tweaked them in a way that self-destructed them after a timer so I could continue the game in the respective areas.

The Sandrah Saga

#13 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:38 AM

I have sometimes encountered problems with spells that use invisible creatures in area spells, but I am not sure which mods introduced them and if that is a related problem. For my own convenience I tweaked them in a way that self-destructed them after a timer so I could continue the game in the respective areas.

Am interested in hearing more about where those issues are. I am rewriting components as we speak, so any bugs will now be dealt quickly.

I make extensive use of invisible creatures for area effect spells and will continue to do so to enable custom clouds/explosions for non-EE games. I have them self destruct via a delayed effect, and I actually used the wrong opcode 186 (move to area) when it should be 168 (remove creature). When I wrote those spells more than 5 years ago, opcode 186 was incorrectly known as "script: destroy self" before they were recorded in the IESDP sometime later.

Edited by Galactygon, 08 July 2015 - 05:41 AM.

Posted Image

#14 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:52 AM

Am interested in hearing more about where those issues are. I am rewriting components as we speak, so any bugs will now be dealt quickly.

I make extensive use of invisible creatures for area effect spells and will continue to do so to enable custom clouds/explosions for non-EE games. I have them self destruct via a delayed effect, and I actually used the wrong opcode 186 (move to area) when it should be 168 (remove creature). When I wrote those spells more than 5 years ago, opcode 186 was incorrectly known as "script: destroy self" before they were recorded in the IESDP sometime later.

Sorry I can only recall this from memory as I have deleted the respective installation after I played through it and a new BWP version with fresh mods came out. But I also remember the same issue with spells/traps that buffed/forced (like dragon buff) the players away from some location. You could never save a game in those areas even when the spell was over as the invisible cre seems to be hostile and the game told you there are enemies around. I found them in the savegames with IE.

The Sandrah Saga

#15 -Nethe-

-Nethe-

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:31 PM

Hi. Copying D0SPIWEB.SPL into my override folder does not change the spell animation and my computer still grinds to a halt when web is cast. Does anyone know why? Thanks in advance.