• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#81 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:11 PM

@Roxanne

The problem is the PC doesn't faint - if she did, it'd be perfect. I remember it worked last time I played. I think that's what's supposed to happen, but it's broken for some reason. As it is I have to watch out and just move her away from the battle with no AI script when she's at 1 hp and pretend she's out of order. Still some enemies can chase and in smaller areas it's even more awkward. It's not a good thing.

It's a clean install, the only thing I uninstalled was W_Gui.

There actually is an affect on her with a source called #GSTART in ShadowKeeper - it's something I've tried to remove when I first noticed this bug. There's two of them, removing one seems to do nothing (at least immediately), removing the other crashes the game upon loading the save and says that CD has been removed then gives some assertion error. I've no idea if it's related to this mod or just normal PC affect.

Running a Windows search for #gstart.spl on the SoA folder gives no results :<

Is it possible that your PC is an imported cre from a game you had before? It looks like you do not have the mod installed but your PC has an effect from it when you used her in a previous install with that mod? Now she does not die with that effect on but the expected script to make her unconscious and then awake after battle is not installed???

You may want to check if this code is in your baldur.bcs

Spoiler

PS Of course DisplayStringHead(Player1,@1002) would be a dialog.tlk reference

Edited by Roxanne, 02 December 2015 - 01:13 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#82 Munchkin Mooch

Munchkin Mooch
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:21 PM

It is possible, I am, in fact, using an old character file since I didn't want to roll stats again. Maybe I would've done better to just ShadowKeeper them on a new char, but it hadn't crossed my mind. I will try to make a new game

Where can I find the main baldur.bcs? All I see is a bunch of mod ones.

Also, in case you're right (I'll check with a new char in a moment), would installing that one mod on top of everything work? Or would it explode the installation? :D It's a really nice mod. I miss it! No idea how I missed it in BWS :(

Also, curiously, why is the mod incompatible with Sandrah? I checked the BWP guide and saw that warning. I don't have Sandrah this time around since I'm using some multiplayer-made NPCs for a change and it's still in beta, but would like to know for the future.

EDIT: Interesting.

a) Seems you're right - newly created character dies.

b) Seems my death movie is broken and demands a CD :D Which causes to crash the game. Which also means I could probably remove those two affects from my PC and carry on - it was the lack of Death movie that was crashing the game before. I *think*. The error looks the same.

So I've got another problem (and the bug made me dodge a few crash-bullets it seems).

Thank you for your replies, by the way! Much appreciated.

xxxXX as for other reports XXxxx

<minor> 11. PaintBG mis-matches: Viconia has a different (non-drow) portrait and Dynaheir is using her BG-original one.

<minor> 12. Thalantyr also opposes Aurora: His prices are very low compared to other affected merchants. One merchant added to FAI temple sells few of the same items he does and on much higher prices. Which means Aurora must be affecting some mod merchants for sure, but somehow manages to skip Thalantyr. Install order perhaps?

<major> 13. Clearly death movie is broken and crashes the game. See above. And here I was expecting mostly AI derpages :D Some SCS testing here...

Edited by Munchkin Mooch, 02 December 2015 - 04:00 PM.

#83 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:09 PM

It is possible, I am, in fact, using an old character file since I didn't want to roll stats again. Maybe I would've done better to just ShadowKeeper them on a new char, but it hadn't crossed my mind. I will try to make a new game

Where can I find the main baldur.bcs? All I see is a bunch of mod ones.

Also, in case you're right (I'll check with a new char in a moment), would installing that one mod on top of everything work? Or would it explode the installation? :D It's a really nice mod. I miss it! No idea how I missed it in BWS :(

EDIT: Interesting.

a) Seems you're right - newly created character dies.

b) Seems my death movie is broken and demands a CD :D Which causes to crash the game. Which also means I could probably remove those two affects from my PC and carry on - it was the lack of Death movie that was crashing the game before. I *think*. The error looks the same.

So I've got another problem (and the bug made me dodge a few crash-bullets it seems).

Thank you for your replies, by the way! Much appreciated.

xxxXX as for other reports XXxxx

<minor> 11. PaintBG mis-matches: Viconia has a different (non-drow) portrait and Dynaheir is using her BG-original one.

<minor> 12. Thalantyr also opposes Aurora: His prices are very low compared to other affected merchants. One merchant added to FAI temple sells few of the same items he does and on much higher prices. Which means Aurora must be affecting some mod merchants for sure, but somehow manages to skip Thalantyr. Install order perhaps?

Aurora also tries to patch some items into HighHedge Store - I just checked in my own installation but those items are not there.

Somehow Aurora does not seem to affect High Hedge.

<major> 13. Clearly death movie is broken and crashes the game. See above. And here I was expecting mostly AI derpages :D Some SCS testing here...

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#84 Munchkin Mooch

Munchkin Mooch
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:48 PM

This is what I get. Tried looking around, but the only advice I found was to check if the baldur.ini doesn't point to actual CDs. It doesn't, it points to data. All other movies work so far.

Erh. I just managed to play the movie with different character as main in solo new game. Whaaaat is up lol.

Attached Images

• assertion.png
  • Capture.JPG

Edited by Munchkin Mooch, 02 December 2015 - 03:01 PM.

#85 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:54 PM

For some reason your selection did not include Viconia and Dynaheir in PaintBG.  However it did include the PaintBG component "copy all portraits for the PC (player character)" ... and PaintBG has some portraits that are definitely not Viconia but with Viconia's portrait file names in the "ArtForCharname" folder that gets copied by that component.  So you've found a bug in PaintBG.  Congratulations!  I've never noticed before because I always select one of the Viconia portrait options in PaintBG and that overwrites the ArtForCharname version.

Edit:  Actually, I just realized this is not a bug really.  It's just an implementation decision that isn't the most compatible.  The "copy all portraits component" uses the Viconia (and Edwin, and other default NPCs) portrait file names so that it replaces the default choices for character creation.  When you choose the PaintBG components for the specific NPCs, they patch the NPCs to use different portrait file names.

I've updated BWS on the bp-test branch to require you to choose PaintBG portraits options for the core BG characters if you choose that particular copy-NPC-portraits-for-charname component:

* BWP/BGT:  Must choose PaintBG portrait for Edwin, Imoen, Jaheira, Minsc and Viconia if using PaintBG component 2: "Override old PC portraits" 

Edited by agb1, 02 December 2015 - 03:11 PM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#86 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:22 PM

I think once we solve the Firebead-starts-hostile-for-one-round bug, we can merge this test branch into the master branch.  I still would like to know if the Ascension encounters work properly with mixed SCS+BP components and AI, but we have conflict warning rules for them so users won't install those untested combinations accidentally.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#87 Munchkin Mooch

Munchkin Mooch
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:39 PM

Okay, I have no idea what's happening.

Since the movie can play, I tested some options creating multiplayer game and then replacing the main character with others. The only consistent thing I noticed was... that only FEMALE characters crash the game (including the pre-made BG char files for ToB and normal BG and freshly made characters of the same class/race). I give up. I don't see logic.

Glad I found a "bug" in PaintBG at least :D Random debugging for the win!

Edited by Munchkin Mooch, 02 December 2015 - 03:41 PM.

#88 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

Did you try enabling all TobEx debug lines in TobEx_ini\TobExCore.ini?  I don't know if this would catch anything but worth a try.

#89 Munchkin Mooch

Munchkin Mooch
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:55 PM

Wanna hear a funny story? Here comes:

Something removed female sounds for death from the soundset I use and the Default one I obviously gave all the testing characters. Now even the installation with the no-game-over mod slapped on top works on my save.

Though why did new games crash on this one before with nobody dying? Beats me. Cause they did. And now they do everything right, males, females, mod, no mod. Baldur works in mysterious ways...

Solid advice with logging. Showed me missing sound file on first try as the last line so that's +1 for you!

Edited by Munchkin Mooch, 02 December 2015 - 03:56 PM.

#90 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:03 PM

Glad we found the problem.  Wish we knew what caused it!

#91 Munchkin Mooch

Munchkin Mooch
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:11 PM

Luckily it's super easy to fix. I don't know for sure, but with this error I would actually blame myself deleting a random file by accident in this case - few of the soundsets installed by the BWS (probably one mod called soundsets or something) have really long lines instead of an "ouch!" when taking damage. I'm using one of them for my male custom character and everytime he got hit he said "Please tell me that hurt" which was driving me mad so I obviously went to change it to some "ouch" sound I could find. I bet I missclicked something/deleted one more file than I meant to and caused this mess.

But I know that at least one more male soundset uses a long long for every hit. My guess is someone got wrong directions to record that one? Cause it doesn't make much sense. Or maybe people find that fun, I don't know, I can't speak for everyone :P

By the way, do you wish me to grab all the bug points and put them in the first post of the topic? Or is that not needed?

Edited by Munchkin Mooch, 02 December 2015 - 04:13 PM.

#92 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:12 PM

"I like lots of commentary with my battles" - anonymous soundset designer

#93 Munchkin Mooch

Munchkin Mooch
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:19 PM

Sounds legit :D

Also, AI-wise, whichever mod does it (I don't remember vanilla doing it this way), the melee/archer targetting is VICIOUS. They will go for my warrior if it's really their only sensible option, but whenever they can they just try to mash my mages/squishballs. Working very well.

Edited by Munchkin Mooch, 02 December 2015 - 04:21 PM.

#94 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

I like the sound of that.  Haha.  Probably BP if you installed the Humanoids AI (650)?  Or maybe even Generic Creatures (150).

Edit:  I see you installed both.

Edited by agb1, 02 December 2015 - 04:25 PM.

#95 Munchkin Mooch

Munchkin Mooch
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:30 PM

Well, it IS a greedy install, after all. Of course I got both, duh :P So yep, those so far seem to be playing great with SCS. Thought I'd throw in some good news to compliment the reports :D

Rolling out for today.

<so-so> 13. Casting divine spells is armor is also prolonged - the mod that allows spellcasting arcane spells in armor (with casting time penalty) makes cleric/mage combinations cast divine spells with penalties as well.

<minor> 14. Can't sell potions to anyone.

<minor> 15. Normal weapons/armor don't seem to break at all - and with Hard Times armors should be breaking too. So far not a single broken item here/nothing broken found on enemies. Could be coincidental but not one anywhere at all? I don't know. Will report if anything breaks.

Damn I got myself in a pickle with this team composition vs. amount of difficult mods installed... When Imoen is by the tankiest member of the team, your main warrior can't wear any armor, and your fightery multiclassers barely hit 11 hit points when the pure class mage is level 3 already you know you've got troooouble. Dodgeball game with all the assassins. Kek.

Edited by Munchkin Mooch, 02 December 2015 - 06:15 PM.

#96 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:53 PM

<so-so> 13. Casting divine spells is armor is also prolonged - the mod that allows spellcasting arcane spells in armor (with casting time penalty) makes cleric/mage combinations cast divine spells with penalties as well.

Yeah, it's said in the mods readme. Ouh, yeah, I don't read those either. Cause the silent DON'T in the front of it.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#97 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:42 AM

I think once we solve the Firebead-starts-hostile-for-one-round bug, we can merge this test branch into the master branch.  I still would like to know if the Ascension encounters work properly with mixed SCS+BP components and AI, but we have conflict warning rules for them so users won't install those untested combinations accidentally.

Have you tried to look here (posts 69-88)?

#98 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:27 AM

I think once we solve the Firebead-starts-hostile-for-one-round bug, we can merge this test branch into the master branch.

Have you tried to look here (posts 69-88)?

Thanks @Quiet for the pointer.  The conclusion in that thread doesn't match what I am seeing.  Maybe I am doing something wrong:  doesn't a file in override have priority over a file in a biff?

I am seeing Firebead cast a spell on CHARNAME in the first round after entering Winthrop's inn even after I replace firebe.cre with an earlier backup that doesn't use the BPMAGE6 script.  I am testing this by creating a new game and walking into the inn.

Also, I tracked down the second blank-dialogue (the first was TB#IMPDI from The Biggs Tweaks' improved difficulty system) that happens immediately after starting the game with this mod combination.  The second blank dialogue is with DW#SKCAN.cre from SCS' skip candlekeep (breaks fourth wall) component.

My investigation so far:

The first string referenced in the pre-installation dialogue file DW#SKCAN.d (in stratagems\gameplay\candleskip\) is @22201, which is a valid string (not blank) in stratagems\tra\english\english.tra.  The compiled DW#SKCAN.dlg in my install points to 264394 in dialog.tlk ... which NI shows to be blank.  The only mod that has DW#SKCAN.dlg in its backup folder is generalized biffing.  So I assumed that something edited or replaced dialog.tlk and messed it up.  This led me to notice the following commands at the end of BWS install sequence:

Spoiler

In my game directory the BWP_workspace folder copy of dialog.tra.bak contains the valid string for 264394.  However the dialog.tra (modified by BiG World Textpack/Installpack) does not.

The BWP_workspace\dialog.tra.bak contains 422294 lines with @268090 = ~AC~ as the final line.  This is the tra-ified original dialog.tlk ... 
The BWP_workspace\dialog.tra contains 303250 lines with @268090 = ~AC~ as the final line.  This becomes the final dialog.tlk ...

Somehow a large number of lines vanished when Textpack/Installpack was applied.  (I have BiG World Textpack ENGLISH and BiG World Installpack -- I do not have the GERMAN Textpack and I do not have dialogF.tlk).

#99 Munchkin Mooch

Munchkin Mooch
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:34 PM

Yeah, it's said in the mods readme. Ouh, yeah, I don't read those either. Cause the silent DON'T in the front of it.

I installed over 150 mods with an automated install and didn't read all readmes/don't remember all contents of those I read? No... how could it possibly happen? Grand apologies for my ineptitude...

No, but in all seriousness, I'm just trying to help people around here catch bugs and doing my best to coherently report what I find out of place to signal possible issues. Why must you criticize my every misstep? I'm just a casual player who tries to do something more useful than coming only with crash reports breaking my playthrough... :(

And speaking of non-game-breaking reports:

<possibly intended> 16. One of the 'enemy' spawns, probably from BG Spawn mod, sometimes spawns groups of Amnish Soldiers - noticed them spawning on reload instead of kobolds in Nashkel mines area. They're friendly, but they have the mine-guard dialogue and look pretty funny spawning in a square randomly in the forest then doing nothing.

<minor> 17. Elander Gloves of Might - the item description says they add +1 to STR, meanwhile they add 4 and subtract 2 from DEX. Additionally I've already looted two instances of those (and I have a mod that should remove duplicates of items, I guess it doesn't touch wherever these are from), and they are worth 1gp when trying to sell them to a vendor.

<cheese warning> 18. Learn-through-Use mod allows everyone to get 5 proficiency points in weapon skills - I don't know if it's intended or not, or if it can be prevented or not. I just ShadowKeeeper them back to 2 when it happens and move on.

<so-so> 19. Can't return Unshey's girdle - she won't talk to me when I return, there's only the red "Unshey has nothing to say to you."

<minor> 20. Some new items don't honor class restrictions - a shop in FAI called Hammerfist Forge sells 2 helmets useable by Kensai class (War Helm, Helm of Health), meanwhile items from another mod doesn't honor tweak settings that allow multiclass clerics/druids to use arrows, for example. Arrows name is Poisoned Arrow with "Deth Stik" in description. My guess it DSotSC? On a side-note, the former shop is nicely affected by Aurora, which suggests it indeed can, and should, affect store prices from new vendors (and mostly does from what I've seen so far).

<minor> 21. Regular throwing daggers weigh 0. Poisoned ones weigh normally, 1 per dagger.

<biggish, but perhaps my fault> 22. Game Over on Party Dead - I installed this mod over everything as I have not seen it in BWS, sneaked under my radar somewhere. So maybe it lacks some follow-up or whatnot because of that. But generally it works, in some cases it works perfectly, but sometimes it activates, but PC keeps on fighting until specific enemy/enemies die. Only then does she faint and the mod proceeds after combat/right away (if no enemies remain) without issue.

On a side note, I love those new small quests like the ogre seeking a bunny friend and similar. Fun additions.

Also, second instance of Firebead (in Beregost) suffers from the same 1-time hostility. But so far just his two incarnations and the dude in FAI. Nobody else smacked me to say hello.

Edited by Munchkin Mooch, 03 December 2015 - 02:43 PM.

#100 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:23 PM

<possibly intended> 16. One of the 'enemy' spawns, probably from BG Spawn mod, sometimes spawns groups of Amnish Soldiers - noticed them spawning on reload instead of kobolds in Nashkel mines area. They're friendly, but they have the mine-guard dialogue and look pretty funny spawning in a square randomly in the forest then doing nothing.

Yes, this is BGSpawn.  http://www.shsforums...4400-odd-spawn/

But -- I am not sure if they originally were scripted to move around, so it might be an AI problem.  I also think it would be better to use a different version of the soldier creature with more appropriate dialogue (or none).

<minor> 17. Elander Gloves of Might - the item description says they add +1 to STR, meanwhile they add 4 and subtract 2 from DEX. Additionally I've already looted two instances of those (and I have a mod that should remove duplicates of items, I guess it doesn't touch wherever these are from), and they are worth 1gp when trying to sell them to a vendor.

Not sure where those come from.  Could you check the resource name (??.ITM) using ShadowKeeper while it is in one of your party members' inventories?

<cheese warning> 18. Learn-through-Use mod allows everyone to get 5 proficiency points in weapon skills - I don't know if it's intended or not, or if it can be prevented or not. I just ShadowKeeeper them back to 2 when it happens and move on.

I have never played with this mod, so I don't know.  Being able to exceed proficiency limits does seem quite cheesy.

<so-so> 19. Can't return Unshey's girdle - she won't talk to me when I return, there's only the red "Unshey has nothing to say to you."

To debug this, we can look at Unshey's dialogue script to see what conditions it checks and then use ShadowKeeper to check if your save meets the conditions.  Do you want to learn how to do this?  In Near Infinity, point it to your CHITIN.KEY file (only necessary the first time you run the tool), and then type "unshey" in the search.  Her dialogue is aptly named "unshey.dlg" and checks the value of the Global named "UBHelpUnshey"... plus whether you have the item "FLRBELT1.ITM" in any of your party members' inventories.  But, she also has different responses depending on her reaction roll to your whichever of your party talked to her -- so if you are using a low charisma NPC to talk to her, that might be why she is ignoring you.

<minor> 20. Some new items don't honor class restrictions - a shop in FAI called Hammerfist Forge sells 2 helmets useable by Kensai class (War Helm, Helm of Health), meanwhile items from another mod doesn't honor tweak settings that allow multiclass clerics/druids to use arrows, for example. Arrows name is Poisoned Arrow with "Deth Stik" in description. My guess it DSotSC? On a side-note, the former shop is nicely affected by Aurora, which suggests it indeed can, and should, affect store prices from new vendors (and mostly does from what I've seen so far).

Again, can you get the resource name / item file?

<minor> 21. Regular throwing daggers weigh 0. Poisoned ones weigh normally, 1 per dagger.

Same here.

<biggish, but perhaps my fault> 22. Game Over on Party Dead - I installed this mod over everything as I have not seen it in BWS, sneaked under my radar somewhere. So maybe it lacks some follow-up or whatnot because of that. But generally it works, in some cases it works perfectly, but sometimes it activates, but PC keeps on fighting until specific enemy/enemies die. Only then does she faint and the mod proceeds after combat/right away (if no enemies remain) without issue.

Sounds like there are some minor bugs in the mod.