[MOD] NPC_EE

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:47 PM

I'd like to announce the first second! release of my new mod: Non-Player Characters, Enhanced for Everyone! That's right - NPC_EE! (beta v1.0)

Download link

And here is the ReadMe

Please note, this is EE-only.  If you're playing TOB or BGT or Tutu, you should instead use the excellent "Level 1 NPCs" mod.
What is this mod?

Well, this is a bone I'm throwing to BGEE players, since the wonderful, excellent, currently-unsupported "Level 1 NPCs" mod does not work on the new engine. I added some rekitted NPC components to the end of my Scales of Balance mod (SoB); but there were only a few options, and many of them relied on having installed earlier parts of SoB.

EDIT - hold the phone!  Major update to v2.0!

This makes MAJOR changes.  There are no more options to change kits.  Instead, there are options to change NPCs' class. There are many fewer components, because there are not as many class changes that work (for lore reasons, I'm not changing Jaheira from druid, or Quayle from cleric/mage, or Kagain from fighter, etc.  Side benefit: less work for me!  :P

Then, in-game, the magic happens: I've devised a way to generate a script on the fly that will detect any mod kits you have added.  Every single joinable NPC in the game will get an innate ability to add a kit, or to switch to a new kit, and they will have options for every kit that their class allows.

It's frakkin' awesome.

What's more: I've cheated a bit.  Just 20 minutes ago, I figured out how to add an extra option to sorcerers, allowing them to take the Wild Mage wizard kit.  I haven't tested it at all but I did confirm that it works.  So, with this mod you can turn Neera into a sorcerer, and then in game turn her into a Wild Sorcerer! It's perfect for her!

You can turn Minsc into a fighter, and then in-game you can turn him into a Barbarian!

Also, as if that's not enough (come on!):

I've also added options for multiclass characters to take a kit.  They can only take a kit in one class, so here how it pans out:
- ranger/clerics: choose a ranger kit
- fighter/clerics: choose a cleric kit
- cleric/thieves: choose a cleric kit
- cleric/mages: choose a cleric kit
- fighter/druids: choose a fighter kit
- fighter/thieves: choose a fighter kit
- fighter/mages: choose a fighter kit
- thief/mages: choose a thief kit
- fighter/mage/clerics: choose a cleric kit
- fighter/mage/thieves: choose a fighter kit

So you can turn Coran into a kensai/thief.  You can turn Montaron into a berserker/thief.  You can make Imoen into a mage/thief multiclass, and then in-game turn her into a swashbuckler/mage.

Can't people just use EEKeeper for this?

Yes. But you have to wait until the NPC is in your party, and quit out of the game and spend 20 minutes fiddling in EEKeeper when you really want to be playing. It's a lot easier to install this via Weidu, IMHO. Of course EEKeeper is more flexible, so if the class you want for Shar-Teel isn't in this mod, you can always use EEKeeper as a fall-back. Again, the spirit of this is, more options are better than fewer options.

Okay, can I change things around later?

Yes. This mod should be installed dead last, after all other mods. After BG2Tweaks. After SCS. Even after Generalized Biffing, if you're playing the non-EE engine and using GB. The whole idea of this is that, after you play a game with Nalia as a bard, you can easily uninstall that component and reinstall her as a sorcerer. If this is the last mod you install, then you can do that many times without disturbing anything else.

I've already changed up some NPCs with Scales of Balance components (or the NPCKits mod, or some other method). Do I have to uninstall those changes before using this mod?

No - whichever one goes in last should control. You should be able to install/uninstall/reinstall this one on top of anything else you've already done. (I have not tested doing this, but it overwrites the various ckass/kit/HP/etc. fields, so I don't see how they would conflict.)

What about proficiencies? If you make Coran a single-class thief he can't use his 3 pips in long bow!

Yeah, I've taken care of that. Coran as a single-class thief will get an illegal two pips in short bow. He will also have a short bow equipped when you meet him, instead of a long bow. Turn Khalid into a ranger/cleric and his sharp equipment will be replaced with blunt equipment. Et cetera.

Again: I have no time for anything but the most limited testing. I've installed this, and CLUA'd the NPCs into existence, and it seems to be working fine. Let me know in this thread if you see any bugs.

Cheers!

Edited by subtledoctor, 25 February 2016 - 01:51 PM.

#2 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:48 PM

Quick update to v2.1... this adds compatibility with EET.  (At least I think so.  Perhaps @k4thos can look it over and confirm.  I've marked it as a pre-release for the moment so BWS is still pulling 2.0.  Once I hear that this is stable I'll mark it for release.

In addition to some general code cleanup, I've added a single new re-classing component: turn Xzar into a multiclass cleric/mage!  He should keep his necromancer kit, so he will have the best of necromancer abilities from both the divine and arcane spell lists.  (But, be careful, this is probably not compatible with Refinements HLAs.  Of course, this is EE-only and I don't think Refinements is compatible with the EEs, so that should not be a problem.

https://github.com/s...eleases/tag/2.1