Question about BWP and robe colors

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 -Nobody-

-Nobody-

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:10 AM

Hey gang,

First of all, I would like to say a big thank you to all of the individual mod developers as well as the Big World team for making Baldur's Gate an even better game than I thought it could be. I'm only very early into my BG1 playthrough, and I'm already floored by how much more alive the game feels now. I'm just super thankful for everyone's hard work.

I had a question about robes, and please pardon if this isn't the right forum. I noticed in playing through BWP that the robes all carry their own color. Robe of Acid Resistance is green, Traveller's Robe is white, etc. This behavior isn't included in the original games, and I was wondering if someone might be able to point me to the mod or component that is the culprit. I tend to play a mage-heavy party, and the fact that their colors (as well as my own) are determined solely by the robe they're wearing is kind of a bummer for me (Edwin should be graced in nothing less than the finest scarlet robes at all times). It kind of nullifies even selecting colors in the inventory screen when they're just going to be overwritten by a robe.

I understand that some people like the idea better that a robe shouldn't always be conveniently "dyed" to match a character's palette, and I respect that. It adds a sense of discovery and "cool factor" to get a new robe and wonder what it'll look like, but I also know that modding is about being able to customize and tailor your play experience. :D

Anyway, if this isn't the right place for this then maybe you kind folk can direct me elsewhere. Any and all suggestions and help are appreciated!

Thanks!

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:36 AM

This comes down to guessing on my part, but I'll say Item Revisions.
BWP vs. BWS ... You probably used the BiG World Setup tool, so make sure that you'll use the correct nmae . :devil:

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 -Nobody-

-Nobody-

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:51 AM

Ok cool! Thanks for schooling me on the difference between the two. :D

So I'm guessing there's no easy way to fix this. I read through the Item Revisions mod description at G3, and it didn't mention anything about robe colors, so if it is, in fact, part of that component then I probably couldn't remove the robe part very easily. I do like all the other changes in the mod so I don't want to exclude it, but it doesn't seem to be an individual component that I can pass on. Bummer.

#4 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

I am not sure if this is Item Revisions.  Let's check.

CLCK13.ITM is the Traveller's Robe.  Attached is a copy from vanilla BG2.  Try putting this in your override folder and reloading your game.

Items are not stored in the saved game so this should restore the original item.  The item references separate files for its inventory and ground icon, and the equipped appearance is also stored elsewhere, but the original file does have some "set color" effects.

Attached Files

Edited by agb1, 22 January 2016 - 10:02 AM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#5 -Nobody-

-Nobody-

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:08 AM

Aha, there we have it! The character's colors have returned!

So what does that mean exactly? Obviously a component is modifying the robes' properties, but that presents a problem. I like the changes that they've made to the items. The Traveller's Robe, for instance, comes with a little movement speed increase which I think is pretty fun, and I'm sure they've gone through and done some extensive tweaking and re-valuing for the item properties. So I would hate to just override all of that by putting the vanilla robes in the override folder.

I'm guessing that when you modify an item there's a property that determines the color of the item, and that there has to be a color setting that's something like "user defined" where the item will just take on the color of the player wearing it. Perhaps I could modify all the robes so that their colors are "user defined" instead of hardcoded?

#6 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:13 AM

Now to find out which mod changed the item.

In the game folder, type these two commands:

mkdir change-log

weidu.exe --log nul --change-log clck13.itm >change-log/change-log.txt --out change-log

In the change-log folder, change-log.txt will list which mods in your installation modified the item, and it will also have copies of each of the changed versions.  If you register on the forums here you can upload those copies for us to investigate.  Otherwise you can download Near Infinity and examine them yourself.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#7 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:20 AM

So I'm guessing there's no easy way to fix this.
Depending on what you consider easy... probably not, but if you can use DLTCEP or Near Infinity to edit the files, then it can be done with quite ease.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#8 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:27 AM

Once you know which mods alter the item, you can decide which version you want, and as Imp suggested you can modify the item to remove the color changes if the same mod is responsible, or if a later mod was responsible for the color changes but nothing else, you can just use an earlier backup copy of the item from before that mod.  I'd like to know which mod is responsible so we can warn other players who might have the same preferences about this.

#9 Nobody83

Nobody83
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:07 AM

I have returned, fully registered!

So here's my log. Item revisions is in there, but so are a couple of others.

Attached Files

#10 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

Try replacing CLCK13.ITM in the override folder with a copy of the one from 1pp\backup\113\ folder (before 1pp, after item revisions) and see what happens to the colors in-game.

#11 Nobody83

Nobody83
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:48 AM

Traveller's robe is white, as per the original problem.

I'm guessing since Item Revisions appears first on the log then that means that it installs first, yeah? So if the robe is already white by the time it gets to the 1pp mod then the Item Revisions must be to blame.

#12 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:49 AM

Yes, that's the conclusion.  It seems Imp was right this time.  Please upload that copy of CLCK13.ITM so I can take a look at it.

#13 Nobody83

Nobody83
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:56 AM

Here it is.

An initial peek in NI shows that there's two extra "Set Color" global effects. And wouldn't you know it they're set to modify the major and minor palette slots. Go figure.

Attached Files

#14 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

Yes, that would do it.  I checked Item Revisions v4 and it has the same settings.  You can delete those manually in your local game (edit the copy of the item from generalized biffing's prod folder, so you also pick up the changes from 1pp and refinements).

I will ask Mike and Demi about an option to remove those major and minor palette slot effects.

#15 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

Here it is.

An initial peek in NI shows that there's two extra "Set Color" global effects. And wouldn't you know it they're set to modify the major and minor palette slots. Go figure.

Yes, the two last effects edit those.

PS, you are using a somewhat up to date NI, so version is one of the snapshot ones ?

Anyways, a way to find out what those things do this in either the View mode by just to double click the Global effect, it says the location...

Or in the Edit mode, where if the NI is large enough the text will be value field.

To edit it just click the effect you wish to change in the Edit mode, and I use the Remove command.. I can't upload it to the forum, cause I get an "Error IO", but I also uploaded it in to here. Just put that file into the override folder and the change is done... Of course you need to then cheat the item in via the console .. as the items in the savegames are not the same items as the one you modified. If memory serves me correctly.

Edited by The Imp, 22 January 2016 - 12:20 PM.

#16 Nobody83

Nobody83
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:26 PM

Yes, that would do it.  I checked Item Revisions v4 and it has the same settings.  You can delete those manually in your local game (edit the copy of the item from generalized biffing's prod folder, so you also pick up the changes from 1pp and refinements).

I will ask Mike and Demi about an option to remove those major and minor palette slot effects.

Ok, so would I then have to do a BWS re-install to take advantage of this? Or would it affect my live game as well? Also, would I then have to track down every single robe item spread across those biffing folders and remove the primary and secondary palette effects with NI

Just making sure there's not some super-leet easy way to do it before I begin the tedious task...

#17 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:40 PM

Items aren't stored in the saved game, so you don't need to reinstall to change them.  If you focus on just the robe items you currently have in your game and edit them as you encounter them, it shouldn't be too tedious to do it manually. 

Alternatively, a new WeiDU script could be written with a single component to automate patching to undo the color slot overrides.  Pseudo-code:  copy_existing all robe items to override, iterate over their effects and delete the effects that modify major and minor palette slots.  If you're willing to wait until I get around to it, I can try to create a little script to do this.

#18 -Demivrgvs-

-Demivrgvs-

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

I guess I'll have to add an option within V4 to not apply the intended colors. :'(

In the meanwhile, this should give you "no colors" back without re-installing anything: https://www.dropbox....e Robes.7z?dl=0

Say thanks to another IR player, JediMindTrix

Cheers

Demi

P.S On a side note, isn't it possible to simply re-assign the color after wearing the item?

#19 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

P.S On a side note, isn't it possible to simply re-assign the color after wearing the item?

Yes, it is, but the thing is, every time the item gets equipped, or it's effects are checked, they get restores, and ... that can be really undesirable. Loading a game does this for example.

#20 Nobody83

Nobody83
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:28 PM

I guess I'll have to add an option within V4 to not apply the intended colors. :'(

In the meanwhile, this should give you "no colors" back without re-installing anything: https://www.dropbox....e Robes.7z?dl=0

Say thanks to another IR player, JediMindTrix

Cheers

Demi

Thanks, JediMindTrix. :D

Well you've successfully made me feel bad with your little crying emoticon. I'm sure that you put a lot of thought into picking specific colors for all the robes, and I'm sure many players love the feeling of getting a new robe and wondering what it will look like, but I guess I'm just not one of them.  :crying:

On a side note, I do love your item revisions, so you have that going for you!

Thanks again, everyone, for all your help! I now know how to move around through these mods a lot better, and maybe I can even figure out how to troubleshoot any further problems.