Photo

BGT install won't approve BG1 directory

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mellchar

mellchar
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:30 AM

Hello, I spent the whole saturday trying to install very basic Big World setup (which makes it something like Really Tiny World setup), going only with tobex, fixpack, bgt and few others but for no gain. For some reason I cant get past the BGT install. It appears as if the installer won't recognize or find my BG1 installation (CD image version). I tried to reinstall BG1 in many different directories, even the default one, always doing a clean install with clean registries, starting new game and making quicksave. I had UAC turned off, no antivirus, no nothing. I checked for missing BG1 files mentioned in some FAQ post around here but found no discrepancy. :( I'm out of ideas. Send help please, thank you.

Attached File  SETUP-BGT_DEBUG.txt   15.85K   222 downloads

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:13 AM

But you install the BGT-weidu to your BG2 directory, it imports the BG1 stuff from your BG1 directory to there, and it will ask for the BG1 directory !
Now you need a non Enhanced Edition BG1 and the TotSC add-on to play a BGT, updated to the (v1.3.)5512 patch, that you can get the patch from here for example, it's there as the official patch is officially offline... while you can get it from other sources too.
If you don't have the Tales of the Sword Coast add-on, or don't want the hassle of BG1, just like the BWS says, you can select to put "-", without the quote-marks to the BG1 directory and proceed without the whole BG1.

Edited by The Imp, 21 February 2016 - 03:39 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 mellchar

mellchar
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:21 AM

Well yes of course, that's what I did, I entered my BG1 path at the beginning of install.bat but when it came to actual installation of BGT I got the error.

Edit: And yes  I also have the TotSC addon, patched to 5512. I mean I'm pretty sure I did everything right, I had installed one BWP setup like 2 years ago and it went fine, no idea what is suddenly wrong now..

Edited by mellchar, 21 February 2016 - 03:38 AM.

#4 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:39 AM

Setup-bgt.exe --language 0 --skip-at-view --noautoupdate --force-install-list 0 --args-list ops y --logapp
In the debug file, the auto install is not giving the mod installer a BG1 path... I can't say why.

It should be something like this: Setup-BGT.exe --force-install 0 --skip-at-view --language 0 --args-list sp "D:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate"

The quoted path being the BG1 directory... I hope you have both games installed on the D drive, as the mod install program might not like directory changes...

Edited by The Imp, 21 February 2016 - 03:55 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 mellchar

mellchar
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:57 AM

Thanks, that's something. Maybe I will try manual installation in the end, but I wanted to throw in some of the big quest mods and maybe some tweaks, and that will be pain to install manually I guess.. Could be something wrong with the newest "Big World Install.bat"?

edit: For the last try I had BG1 in the default location (C:\Program Files\..) with BG2 being on D:\, but before that I had both games on D:\ with no difference.

Edited by mellchar, 21 February 2016 - 04:00 AM.

#6 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:23 AM

The ... Install.bat is not a official part of the BWS anymore... it's a legacy mode of install that should probably be left to zombies, from the days of the BiG World Project.
If I were you, I would use the up to date BWS, (direct download) and in that, the "Baldur's Gate 2 / Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BGT) Customization" mode. Unless you wish the BG1EE, BG2EE, Classic Adventure or other IE games..

#7 mellchar

mellchar
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:48 PM

thanks, will try that, but isnt BWS only a preparation utility for downloading/extracting mods? As I previously understood, in the end the BWS runs the install.bat itself so I'm not sure what is the difference. Please correct me if I'm wrong

#8 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:09 PM

Nope. It's a fully realized download, extraction, installation, repair, re-install ... tool. 

The BWS won't run the install.bat file, it runs a similar utility, but it's not as rigid and it's made on the go. There's settings and so forth. IT'S FAR BETTER than the .bat file !

Edited by The Imp, 21 February 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#9 mellchar

mellchar
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:57 PM

Okay, so I did a clean install once again, then proceeded with the latest Big World Setup, where everything went flawlessly. But in the end it all came to the same error, the bat installer couldn't pass the bg1 directory.. I don't know, I guess I cant have nice things anymore :D

Attached File  SETUP-BGT_DEBUG.txt   17.39K   207 downloads

#10 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:07 PM

Can you upload your BiG World Setup\Config\User.ini ? It seems that somehow your BG1 directory is set to "y"

Edited by agb1, 23 February 2016 - 04:08 PM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#11 mellchar

mellchar
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

Finally got it working, the problem was that I am dumb and I never got the bg1 directory properly placed and named - it was either in the same root as bg2 but the name was other than "baldur's gate" or it WAS named "baldur's gate" but placed elsewhere.. got a little confused with the big world pdf which says that you dont need the exact name for the folders anymore. But the BWSetup is magnificent and so easy to use, so thanks for that too :)

#12 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:50 PM

I'm surprised BWS didn't complain that your BG1 folder was invalid. It checks for the existence of certain files to try to ensure that you really gave the correct BG1 path.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip