BWS BGT Installation, Custom, Expert mode

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:57 PM

Greetings,

After a successful attempt at BWS recommended installation, I decided to try my hand at the custom one, based on the Expert mode. Wanting to test the vanilla expert mod without my alterations, I went and tested its downloads. A small number of mods was listed in the summary as defective. One of those is Worldmap. The v10.2.1 is the version BWS attempted to download. Is there a non-defective version that I can download? I've read on the "Big World Project v16" pdf that TDD needs a worldmap otherwise it won't work and since I plan on including TDD plus a few other major ones (Drizzt Saga, SoS, etc) as well, I am worried I may need a worldmap mod after all. I've noticed that SHS hosts "BP-BGT Worldmap v10.1" and I was wondering If that would do the trick.

Attached File  WeiDU.log   78.68K   252 downloads

Edited by quinlan, 28 March 2017 - 01:19 AM.

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:04 AM

Here.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:54 AM

Thanks!

I've downloaded "Nameless Melody Inn". I've read somewhere that it has been translated in English, but the 2 readme files in the folder are in chinese only. Is this the version (NMT-V2.1) that BWS is planning on installing? Any possible conflict due to different language?

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#4 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:12 PM

This is the custom mod list "BWS-Selection" ini I exported based on the Tactical that I plan on installing. After a lot removing and a few additions, the only conflicts mentioned are in relation to something called Paint BG with regard to several NPCs. Since I have no wish to include any of these NPCs, I will remove the conflicts and proceed. 

I cannot upload it, got a message: 

Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

Therefore I paste it here:

Spoiler

My fantasy story

#5 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:05 AM

First attempt at creating my custom Tactical install is a failure. Several of the big mods could not be installed due to missing dependencies, meaning I did deselect some things I shouldn't from the list.   

I am going to restore backup and try again by importing my custom list and trying to work out the dependency mistakes. Another thing, how come Worldmap is listed as missing when version 1021 is in the BWS download folder?

Issues still here. The missing downloads

Spoiler

I can handle since I can do them manually and copy them in the BWS download folder.

But what about the following mods that cannot be installed because of missing dependence:

Spoiler

At the end there is this option,

Spoiler

so I'll try to retry and/or provide

Edited by quinlan, 21 March 2017 - 03:32 AM.

My fantasy story

#6 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:41 AM

This is a new weird thing:

Spoiler

I typed [s] to select and the answer I got is to press [c]... :ermm:

After typing [c], I got this:

Spoiler

Edited by quinlan, 21 March 2017 - 03:43 AM.

My fantasy story

#7 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:09 AM

After restoring backup and importing again my list I did a bit more tweaking and I ended up with different conflicts/dependencies:

Spoiler

After right-clicking and sorting it out, I went to Test Download again and got a few mentioned as defective:

Spoiler

The summary after testing present downloads:

Spoiler

Somehow Ashes of Embers and Virtue got selected again (probably trying to fix dependencies). I deselected them, fixed their issues again and going for the downloading now.

And again fail:

Spoiler

It worked this time to force the two missing ones and the extraction proceeds successfully.

Edited by quinlan, 21 March 2017 - 04:20 AM.

My fantasy story

#8 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:45 AM

Warning about patching:

Spoiler

I went ahead and chose to patch anyway.

Extending, copying, installing, it goes on smoothly now. I'll probably exit at some point and finish it at another time.

Edited by quinlan, 21 March 2017 - 04:54 AM.

My fantasy story

#9 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:46 AM

"What is the worst thing that could happen?"

The answer to the aforementioned question is already known to me:

"Delete everything, restore, start from scratch."

I've decided to include a few more mods in my custom install. NEJ, TS are two of them and other smaller ones. Predictably, missing dependencies and conflicts appeared again. I managed to have an empty list of red, orange and white warnings before I moved on. Whether I solved issues or not remains to be seen. So far the installation process continues and only two incidents happened. One was about "Setup-CtB-Chores.tp2" and the other was a similar issue. I went ahead and decided to apply the patches and the process continues.

Edited by quinlan, 22 March 2017 - 02:09 AM.

My fantasy story

#10 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:22 AM

What is the process involved in exiting an installation and then resuming it?

My fantasy story

#11 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:44 AM

What is the process involved in exiting an installation and then resuming it?
You stop the install with the pause button, and wait until it says that it has stopped. Then you can exit the install.
Then you restart the install by starting the BWS normally(the Start BiG World Setup - "Update If Needed/Without Update".vbs), it will detect that the game you have selected has already mods installed and allows you to continue the install, or at least it should. It did this the last time I used it... years ago. :P

Edited by The Imp, 22 March 2017 - 03:46 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#12 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:53 AM

Thanks. :new_thumbs:

Any advice on this?

Spoiler

Retrying didn't work. If I understand it correctly, Improved Firkraag is the issue. I can live without installing it.

Edited by quinlan, 22 March 2017 - 03:55 AM.

My fantasy story

#13 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:14 PM

A few install instances with warnings like the one below have been found:

Spoiler

How serious are these warnings?

My fantasy story

#14 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:05 AM

Installing a customized Tactical isn't for the faint-hearted... but over and done with it.

Final report:

Spoiler

I'll start checking the debug for errors and warnings to get an idea what do I finally have before I start play-testing it.

My fantasy story

#15 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:37 AM

I've started combing BWS logs for possible issues. I use the words "error", "warning", "skip", "no slots" for the searching. However, I have no idea of what it means if I find them. For example, here are 2 of my finds. Each one is a copy from the "BiG World Upload Debug":

Spoiler

Spoiler

Both mods are mentioned as successfully installed in the end, regardless of the errors which appear in the Big World Install debug as well.

Edited by quinlan, 24 March 2017 - 02:57 AM.

My fantasy story

#16 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

Will it work if I copy/paste the whole BGT folder in the game folder, rename it and then run "Setup-widescreen" to choose another resolution? I am thinking of connecting my laptop vie HDMI to my TV which is 1920x1080 and If the aforementioned Idea works, then I could just copy saved game from the laptop there and play the game on the big screen. 

My fantasy story

#17 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

Will it work if I copy/paste the whole BGT folder in the game folder, rename it and then run "Setup-widescreen" to choose another resolution? I am thinking of connecting my laptop vie HDMI to my TV which is 1920x1080 and If the aforementioned Idea works, then I could just copy saved game from the laptop there and play the game on the big screen.
Hmm, I can't say that it will... and if you go into a small area you had visited in the save already, the game might just crash... I would take a look at the weidu.log and see what uninstalling the Widescreen mod would entail.
I've started combing BWS logs for possible issues. I use the words "error", "warning", "skip", "no slots" for the searching. However, I have no idea of what it means if I find them. For example, here are 2 of my finds. Each one is a copy from the "BiG World Upload Debug":
Well, like you can guess skipping is just what it says... the EE games require the journal entries to be run through a specific process, and skipping that in a nonEE games is likely programmed into the mod itself, so... skipping as planed.

The file size limit is another programming thing that the weidu notes the programmer, aka the mods maker... mostly. It's likely that the file is copied as should... the weidu just "complains" because it should be done with another function, namely the COPY_LARGE -one, it's likely not a big deal, except in few cases where the mod maker should handle it in some other way around.
The case being that as you can't patch the files that are bigger than the weidu's size restriction... COPY_LARGE is restricted natively from editing the file byte by byte, which the COPY can do, but is limited to a certain size constraints, which comes from the programming language that the weidu(.exe) is made with.

Edited by The Imp, 25 March 2017 - 11:05 AM.

#18 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:32 PM

Right, thanks for the info.

Here is a different issue where retry didn't work, so I continued which led to removing:

Spoiler

I've also got a few installs with warnings in the "Big World Install Debug":

Spoiler

And another that was successful, but I think partial because of missing spell slots for the mod's extras to be assigned:

Spoiler

Edited by quinlan, 25 March 2017 - 11:33 PM.

My fantasy story

#19 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:05 PM

I have spotted the first inconsistency, maybe. Priest's Quarters at Candlekeep, there is an assassin named Skunk inside the empty house. First time I entered and after the discussion, while fighting him, I had a CTD. Not a major one though, since after running BG Main again the problem didn't reappear. However, after killing him I only found a dagger on his body. Wasn't there supposed to be a note as well, something about a contract to kill Charname?

I had another CTD at the room with the rats after I was killed by another assassin, Marlos. There was this message:

Spoiler

Second time around I killed him and no CTD.

Edited by quinlan, 26 March 2017 - 11:21 PM.

My fantasy story

#20 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:03 AM

Wasn't there supposed to be a note as well, something about a contract to kill Charname?

There was never such note on BG1... so, it might have been a mod content you were smoking that made it appear. :devil: