Photo

Body decay

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

These topics on death are all over the place now, but this one is of more general interest... I came across it for my Animate Dead - if the party rests, bodies disappear, and then there is no targeting them. I can make the invisible minion ActionOverride(LastSummonerOf(Myself),DestroySelf()) to cause a body to disappear, in principle, any time before it does on its own. Which makes me contemplate whether all creatures should not be patched to have a permanent corpse? Then, some time after the actual death of that particular creature, the minion would get rid of the body. Maybe 24 hours later? Until then it would be available for raising and other necromancy people may come up with - speak with dead or what have you. This would change the visual experience for everybody considerably and make it more... grounded.

All right, but how to go about that? At this point I only spawn minions for creatures valid for reanimation, so no constructs, undead, slimes, elementals... And the minions are scripted to destroy themselves after casting the raising spell. I could keep them around after that and just warn them not to recast the spell if the summoner if of the UNDEAD type, which they all become after coming back. Still, a minion in place for every fallen for 24 hours, that's a lot of minions. Even if they don't do anything but just Wait() to bury the body, it's still potentially dozens of scripts running at once. And would Wait() even work properly? Would the time advance enough if the party rested in the middle, or is that "real" time? I can't use a global timer for an individual death, local timers don't work and Remove/Replace Creature effects for different durations either trigger on death immediately or not at all. The only way to vaporize a body seems to be with scripts.

Edit: never mind, I found a combo solution. This is doable only through scripts - but scripts can be set with effects. I edited the minion file to replace its own script a certain time after spawning, and the new script instructs it to eliminate the body.

:devil:

Edited by temnix, 14 June 2017 - 01:42 PM.