77 replies to this topic

#21 Jakar

Jakar
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:06 AM

@The Imp
@Leonardo Watson
Thanks for your reply.
Guess i will try to install it before NeJ and see what happens.

I didn't risk to install it in megamod with other big modes, but i tried to install Vlad's compilation just after BGT install (simple pausing in BWS helps), and it goes fine. I didn't check further Irenicus dungeon, but no errors so far, Kachiko is in her place, everyone reacts as suspected.

https://imgur.com/a/lGJiQ

#22 Miksip

Miksip
  • 50 posts

Donator

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

Vlad, can i ask you to add more options to your compilation. Now it is either all or nothing.

P.S. Don't listen to The Imp - it is voice of the Devil.

#23 Vlad

Vlad
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:57 PM

Leonardo, please wait a bit. I am on my last run through the game. There are some minor issues addressed and some new options I have added. So, it's better to wait for the next final release. 

Miksip, my compilation should be installed as it is for the sake of compatibility. You may choose what you want during the game.

#24 Miksip

Miksip
  • 50 posts

Donator

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:34 AM

@Vlad

One of the components for Baldurdash and Vlad Compilation sets bag capacity to 32767.

If i install only your compilation then there should be no problem, maybe.

When i install your compilation in a mega-mod game then it causes lags because of baldur.bcs and lots of scrips that look for items in inventory.

This is your mod and you are not wrong, rather the people who bloated bcs file are at fault.

But if you remove said component or at least put an option for it then it should be more user friendly. Thank you in advance.

Here it is:

C:\BGT\Baldur's Gate 2\Setup-BDToBv175.tp2 (2 hits)
    Line 2053:     WRITE_SHORT 0x22 32767
    Line 7831:     WRITE_SHORT 0x22CA 0x0116
  C:\BGT\Baldur's Gate 2\Setup-VCv10.tp2 (2 hits)
    Line 1758:     WRITE_SHORT 0x22 32767
    Line 6718:     WRITE_SHORT 0x22CA 0x0116

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
//Botomless Bag of Holding

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.sto$~ ~override~
  READ_LONG 0x08 "itemtype" ELSE 0
  PATCH_IF ("%itemtype%" = 5) BEGIN
    WRITE_SHORT 0x22 32767
  END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

#25 Mirandel

Mirandel
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:27 AM

@Vlad

One of the components for Baldurdash and Vlad Compilation sets bag capacity to 32767.

If i install only your compilation then there should be no problem, maybe.

When i install your compilation in a mega-mod game then it causes lags because of baldur.bcs and lots of scrips that look for items in inventory.

This is your mod and you are not wrong, rather the people who bloated bcs file are at fault.

But if you remove said component or at least put an option for it then it should be more user friendly. Thank you in advance.

Here it is:

C:\BGT\Baldur's Gate 2\Setup-BDToBv175.tp2 (2 hits)
    Line 2053:     WRITE_SHORT 0x22 32767
    Line 7831:     WRITE_SHORT 0x22CA 0x0116
  C:\BGT\Baldur's Gate 2\Setup-VCv10.tp2 (2 hits)
    Line 1758:     WRITE_SHORT 0x22 32767
    Line 6718:     WRITE_SHORT 0x22CA 0x0116

//Botomless Bag of Holding

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.sto$~ ~override~
  READ_LONG 0x08 "itemtype" ELSE 0
  PATCH_IF ("%itemtype%" = 5) BEGIN
    WRITE_SHORT 0x22 32767
  END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Aha! I did found out the Bag of Holing is responsible for lag, but is there any way to fix it after installation? 

#26 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:40 AM

Don't put the items that cause lag to occur into them, and keep going. You can leave them into anywhere else and keep playing, as the check is IF the player char has them, a thing happens and THEN nothing, until it's switched around or other things happen.
The bags size is NOT the issue. Nor is the fact that the items are actually checked, it's that the thing just fires a little sparatically, aka the character begomes permanently marked as having possessed the item, as they don't actually make the other globals to be back to zero. Or there's multiple of the same items...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#27 Miksip

Miksip
  • 50 posts

Donator

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:04 AM

@Mirandel

You need to use NearInfinity and redact bag size(capacity) manually. Edit your save file - it should have those bags as stores(*.STO), then look in .STO directory for bags which have 32767 as their capacity and change that too.

Since they cause slowdown even when they are empty - I'm guessing that script which looks for items in inventory(hasitem, partyhasitem) makes n iterations though those bags where n is their capacity.

This makes sense since their original size is 50 or 100 for bag of holding. And original size of baldur.bcs is 76kb, but after megamod installation it became 1579kb for me. Game wasn't supposed to handle all this.

So there you have it. I would recommend to edit your baldur.bcs too using NearInfinity if you experience slowdown due to bags, but make backup first(export baldur.bcs). When you edit and save - it should be in override folder.

#28 Mirandel

Mirandel
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:04 AM

Thank you, Miksip and The Imp , now I have a good reason to study NearInfinity. Will do.

#29 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:11 AM

I'm guessing that script which looks for items in inventory(hasitem, partyhasitem) makes n iterations though those bags where n is their capacity.

Or just use the ToBEx to remove this behaviour !!!
The devil knows more than you, you should listen ... and the BWS does this by default. I am talking about this: "Optimise Bag Search Code=1"

Now, you have to install the ToBEx'es core component for it... of course, but a Megamodder should do that automatically. Unless they are lunatics.

And should you know, the feature is included in EE games, so...

Edited by The Imp, 28 October 2017 - 07:25 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#30 Ikki

Ikki
  • Validating
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:07 AM

Aha! I did found out the Bag of Holing is responsible for lag, but is there any way to fix it after installation?

You need to use NearInfinity and redact bag size(capacity) manually

just install the mod atweaks

it has a component that do exactly that (Slightly expanded storage capacity for containers -> Use the recommended storage capacity value (999))

Edited by Ikki, 28 October 2017 - 09:02 AM.

#31 Mirandel

Mirandel
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

You need to use NearInfinity and redact bag size(capacity) manually

just install the mod atweaks

it has a component that do exactly that (Slightly expanded storage capacity for containers -> Use the recommended storage capacity value (999))

Was not sure addition of yet another mod would not ruin something else during installation (on BGT to make it even more complicated). So, tried a compromise - Nearinfinity but value 999. Looks like it worked!

#32 -Gast-

-Gast-

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

Sorry, folks, can not find the spoiler tag!

I made some  changes in the folders located at: NeJE/bdash/Language/deutsch.

NeJE/bdash/Language/deutsch/HLSHANG.tra:

@0 = ~Stopp!~

@1 = ~Ihr habt Mächte ... entfesselt, ohne mein Zutun. Wisst Ihr, wo Ihr seid?~

@2 = ~Nicht direkt, nein.~

@3 = ~Ich werde nicht von Euresgleichen gefragt! Sterbt, Scheusal!~

@4 = ~Ich bin im Brückenviertel von Athkatla. Mit welchen Tricks spielt Ihr mit mir?~

@5 = ~Dennoch hattet Ihr einen Schlüssel, einen Spitzbubenstein. Was erhofft Ihr Euch durch das Eindringen in mein Refugium?~

@6 = ~Ich fand eine Nachricht, die zu diesem Ort führt. Ich war neugierig, was das alles zu bedeuten hat.~

@7 = ~Meine Ankunft hier, war nur ein Unfall. Ich werde jetzt gehen.~

@8 = ~Ich bin hier, um Euch zu töten.~

@9 = ~Hmm. Ich glaube es war Koshi, der das hier schrieb. Falls Ihr ihn getötet habt, um das hier zu bekommen, habt Ihr meinen Dank verdient. Den Dummkopf endlich zu bestrafen, war mir schon lange ein Bedürfnis.~

@10 = ~Seid gegrüßt. Ich muss Euch jetzt alleine lassen, wenn Ihr mich entschuldigt.~

@11 = ~Mir reicht 's. Ich verschwinde.~

@12 = ~Lasst es Euch gesagt sein, Ihr seid derjenige, der jetzt bestraft wird. Ich werde Euch vernichten, Unhold!~

@13 = ~Nein. Ich denke nicht, dass Ihr heute wieder gehen könnt. Wenn Ihr schon mit der Macht spielt, die weit jenseits Eurer kärglichen Fähigkeiten liegt, werdet Ihr bald herausfinden, dass es seinen Preis hat.~

@14 = ~In diesem Fall wisst Ihr zu viel und Euer Leben ist verwirkt. Kommt, meine Freunde. Die Verzerrte Rune hat heute ihren Spaß.~

@15 = ~Wie Ihr wollt. Kommt, meine Freunde. Heute hat die Verzerrte Rune ein Fest.~

@16 = ~Athkatla? Kaum. Das Portal ist nur meinen Kreaturen bekannt und dennoch habt Ihr einen Schlüssel, einen Spitzbubenstein. Was erhoffst Ihr Euch davon, in mein privates Reich einzudringen?~

@17 = ~Ich habe vor, Euch zu töten.~

NeJE/bdash/Language/deutsch/rARAN.tra:

@0 = ~Es ist eine Sache des Überlebens. Ich habe nichts, das ich Euch anbieten könnte. Vielleicht kann ich Euch in der Zukunft helfen, aber nicht jetzt, nicht in diesem Kampf.~

@1 = ~Ich brauche Eure Hilfe JETZT. Ohne sie werde ich fallen und Bodhi wird Euch heimsuchen.~

@2 = ~Ihr habt nach mir gefragt: Erwecke ich den Anschein, dass ich Bodhi zwar töten und nichts dafür verlangen werde?~

@3 = ~Vielleicht steht Euer Überleben in Frage?! Ich mag es nicht, sitzen gelassen zu werden.~

@4 = ~Ich fordere von Euch, dass Ihr mir helft. Ihr schuldet es mir.~

NeJE/bdash/Language/deutsch/replace.d:

//Ersetzt die Tokens von BRDBYEND.d

REPLACE_SAY ~BRDBYEND~ 0 ~Willkommen in Ulgoths Bart, <SIRMAAM>! Es gehen hier neuerdings komische Gerüchte um.~

REPLACE_SAY ~BRDBYEND~ 4 ~Nehmt Euch nur die Zeit, die Ihr braucht, redet mit den Leuten. Das ist alles, was wir hoffen, alles was wir verlangen können. Schönen Tag noch, <SIRMAAM>.~

REPLACE_SAY ~BRDBYEND~ 5 ~Und, wie laufen die Dinge Eurer Meinung nach hier so, <SIRMAAM>?~

REPLACE_SAY ~BRDBYEND~ 6 ~Also, was habt Ihr mir zum Sagen, <SIRMAAM>?~

REPLACE_SAY ~BRDBYEND~ 7 ~Ist schon klar, <SIRMAAM>. Wenn 's nur der Umhang ist, dann verstehe ich auch nicht warum.~

REPLACE_SAY ~BRDBYEND~ 8 ~Ist schon klar, <SIRMAAM>. Gut, dass Ihr den Umhang zurÜckgebracht habt.~

REPLACE_SAY ~BRDBYEND~ 9 ~Gut, dass er weg ist, <SIRMAAM>. Er kroch schon unsere Ärmel hoch.~ // der Sinn dieses Satzes erschließt sich nicht

REPLACE_SAY ~BRDBYEND~ 13 ~Danke, dass Ihr das geklärt habt, <SIRMAAM>. Ihr werdet bei uns in den Heldenstatus erhoben. Die Leute reden schon über Euch.~

REPLACE_SAY ~BRDBYEND~ 14 ~Wollt Ihr uns sonst noch was erzählen, <SIRMAAM>?~

REPLACE_SAY ~BRDBYEND~ 15 ~Eine gute Idee, <SIRMAAM>. Ich mein', wir sollten ihn sich selbst überlassen.~

REPLACE_SAY ~BRDBYEND~ 17 ~Gut, dass Ihr Euch darum gekümmert habt, <SIRMAAM>, ansonsten hätten wir einen riesigen Ärger am Hals gehabt.~

REPLACE_SAY ~BRDBYEND~ 20 ~Ich würde ihm auch nicht trauen, <SIRMAAM>. Ihr habt eine gute Entscheidung getroffen.~

REPLACE_SAY ~BRDBYEND~ 22 ~Nun, <SIRMAAM>, ich denke, damit ist alles erledigt. Danke für Eure Hilfe. Der Herzog gab mir diese Schriftrolle. Damit könnt Ihr Euch aus dem Palast teleportieren. Bitte schön. Und Danke noch mal.~

NeJE/bdash/Language/deutsch/rGORODR1.tra:

@0 = ~Ich habe ein schlimmes Vergehen begangen. Mein Hochmut sagte mir, ich muss mich nicht opfern, aber jetzt dies ... eine Bhaalbrut beschämt mich... Es ... es ist ein arges Vergehen gegen Helm. Könnt Ihr einem dummen Mann vergeben?~

@1 = ~Vergeben. Ich hoffe, dass Ihr an mich denkt, Odren. Ich verstehe, warum Ihr Euch nicht opfern wolltet, obwohl ... es falsch war.~

@2 = ~Ich hoffe Euer Gott vergibt Euch, Odren, ich werde es nicht tun. Niemals. Geht mir aus den Augen!~

@3 = ~Euch vergeben? Ich glaube, das kann ich ... wenn Ihr mir ein Angebot macht, dass ich nicht ablehnen kann.~

@4 = ~Euch vergeben? Vergesst es, Ihr Narr! Rache ist süß!!~

@5 = ~Kommt meine Brüder! Wir machen eine Wallfahrt, jetzt ... müssen wir unsere Fehler sühnen und um Erlösung ersuchen. Macht es gut, <GABBER>. Sollten wir uns wiedersehen, dann aber unter besseren Umständen.~

@6 = ~Die Wachende Festung

Der Eingekerkerte, der in der Wachenden Festung eingesperrt gewesen ist, war niemand anders als der mächtige Dämonenprinz Demogorgon höchstpersönlich. Ich habe den Dämonenprinz besiegt und hab Ihn zurück in den Abyss geschickt. Anschließend stellte ich Odren außerhalb der Feste zur Rede. Er hat zugegeben, dass er von Demogorgon wusste. Sein Plan hatte vorgesehen, dass ich mich zusammen mit dem Dämonen in der Festung einsperren würde, damit der Dämon für weitere Jahrhunderte sicher dort eingekerkert bliebe. Er war zerknirscht über seine eigene Feigheit, aber ich werde es nicht ungestraft durchgehen lassen.~

#33 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

Was not sure addition of yet another mod would not ruin something else during installation (on BGT to make it even more complicated). So, tried a compromise - Nearinfinity but value 999. Looks like it worked!
Well, it does nothing in the save with the .sto already being in the possession of the player char, as the .sto is tied into the bag. You can get the new size by just cheating in the same item as the original and then just swapping items from and to... but that kind defeats all the purpose of our lives.
And no, more and more mods in a running game doesn't really do anything special ... the text might sometimes get wonky, especially if you messup and uninstall a mod, but that's about it.

#34 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:01 PM

Just a hint:

If you change something for an ongoing game e.g. with Near Infinity (or an added mod), the effect on your current game depends on where the game saves the respective resource.

Just some examples:

- scripts, spells or items are just referenced in saves by their name or IDS. If you change something and reload the game, your changes are immediately working.

- areas (are-files) or stores (sto) or creatures are saved in the state you left them. This means that your changes are only working for the initial state, i.e. if you have not yet entered the area or visited the store or met the creature.

You can still change those in NI as well, but you need to apply the change to the version that is in your savegame not the one you find under the respective category (those are the initial versions).

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#35 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:19 AM

Didn't I already say that Roxanne ?

#36 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:40 AM

The only reliable way to actually fix the slowdown I have found in years of playing megamod is manually removing all useless shit from 5 ever-running scripts: dplayer, dplayer2, dplayer3, baldur and baldur25 after installation of megamod. Really, what were authors thinking with while cramming always-running scripts with bloats over bloats of useless nonsense? Perhaps thinking their mod will be the only one used, but that assumption is absurd in this time and age. Anyway, the point is to remove as much "X has item Y" checks as possible without breaking something important. 24 script blocks to make sure items I will never use will return to wielder if thrown away? Erase. 36 script blocks to make sure personal item of an NPC won't be equipped to other PC? Purge. 6 script blocks to make sure that talking sword will have it's poorly voiced and poorly recorded screams? Remove. And so on and so forth. Tedious, true, but after doing that megamod runs smoothly again.

Easiest way to do it if you're not accustomed to compiling/decompiling routine is by Near Infinity: cut what you need, press compile, press save, and you're done.

The devil knows more than you, you should listen ... and the BWS does this by default. I am talking about this: "Optimise Bag Search Code=1"

I've heard many times that TobEX optimizes item checks, sadly I never felt it in my playthroughs: TobEX or not game grew disgustingly slow by the end of BG1, which fixed immediately upon aforementioned purge was done.

Edited by Creepin, 29 October 2017 - 04:15 AM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#37 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:58 AM

Perhaps thinking their mod will be the only one used, but that assumption is absurd in this time and age. Anyway,... but after doing that megamod runs smoothly again.
You are judging someone by todays standards from 10 years ago, really man, really !
See they weren't thinking about megamoding...

Could you quote the lines you removed from the files... it would actually be easy to just make a .patch file based on that, or even just make a mod components from those... just like the Lollorian made his mod.
Of course this is all way offtopic, so if you wish, you could just make an offtopic discussion from this ...

#38 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:16 AM

To cut the offtopic short (sorry Vlad!): next time I'll go through this routine I'll made a list and post the results. The main targets are already in my post though: cursed returning items from SoS, NPC items that punish you if you equip them to wrong NPC and talking items.

Edited by Creepin, 29 October 2017 - 03:16 AM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#39 Mirandel

Mirandel
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:55 AM

Uh! Now I am completely confused. Ok, step by step:

First, Creepin, I do not think it's offtopic - NEJ creates a problem that has to be solved. You suggested a solution. The problem is, I do not really know how to use your solution, what to look at. There are hundreds entries "hasItem"  in baldur.bcs - how to separate useless from necessary?

Now, the situation was like this: I installed BGT manually - BG, BG2, then run BGT. After that - VC and NEJ. Then I realised, VC and NEJ is about BG2 only, and if I want to survive BG1 I need at leas 2 mods - BG1NPC and BG1re. Installed both on top of what I had. And it looked (still does) as it worked. But after I cheated in (with Shadowkeeper) Bag of Holdings I got lag. Not right away, past Beregost, but I got it.

So far I deleted (with Shadowkeeper) Bag of Holding, saved game (lag was still there), then opened chitin.key from BG2 folder with NI and replaced every 32767 with 999 for every bag.STO in "STO" folder I found, plus in the new (bag-less) save file. Did not touch "baldur.bcs" because I do not know what to change there. Lag is not entirely gone but not as severe as it was. 

Where else should I look?

#40 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:06 AM

Miradel, this will technically break the game, but it's a debug tool so, uninstalling it will fix the state that it breaks... I am talking about the LStest tool in the Megamod FAQ.
It's not likely to be the NEJ that actually broke your game, but something completely different, and the LStest tool will ease it's finding... if it's script related.