S.A. and Sim's Virtue Mod

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 12:57 AM

The Sword Angel Kit is now fully supported by Sim's Virtue Mod, and definitely *SHOULD* be played with it!!!

Even better, not even the order of installation matters.

Many thanx to Sim for his help!

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#2 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 08:03 AM

As you say Littiz!
Many thanks for your collaboration Sim! ;)
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#3 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 03:15 PM

About this wonderful kit.

Unless you wish to make this mod incompatible with TDD, and BP, setting the Sword Angel kit is mandatory. Maybe it was written somewhere, but the majority of the gamers tend to play BP + x minimods.
Posted Image

#4 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 03:22 PM

Maybe it was written somewhere, but the majority of the gamers tend to play BP + x minimods.

You think so?

I'd disagree. From what I've read, I'd suggest most people play without BP (looking at the Interplay/Bioware forums TDD tends to have a bad reputation. I've not played it much so can't say).

It seems most people play through with Baldurdash and Ascension, and then a few smaller mods such as Kelsey and Ease-Of-Use.

I could be wrong though... :)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#5 -Sim-

-Sim-

Posted 23 December 2003 - 03:32 PM

I'm going to count up how many times various people try to remind modmakers to make components of their mods optional. It could be entertaining.

On the other hand, I could just be smothered with graphically overenthusiastic sigs and die before I manage.

#6 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 03:47 PM

On the other hand, I could just be smothered with graphically overenthusiastic sigs and die before I manage.

Trying to start something, Ding0? Eh? Eh? :P
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#7 -icelus-

-icelus-

Posted 23 December 2003 - 03:47 PM

Maybe it was written somewhere, but the majority of the gamers tend to play BP + x minimods.

You think so?

I'd disagree. From what I've read, I'd suggest most people play without BP (looking at the Interplay/Bioware forums TDD tends to have a bad reputation. I've not played it much so can't say).

It seems most people play through with Baldurdash and Ascension, and then a few smaller mods such as Kelsey and Ease-Of-Use.

I could be wrong though... :)

I'm with Andyr in that I *emphatically* disagree with that assessment. Spend some time on some of the other major gaming forums, and the proof, as they say, is in the pudding.

#8 -Sim-

-Sim-

Posted 23 December 2003 - 03:49 PM

Trying to start something, Ding0? Eh? Eh? :P

i cud take u with my hand behind my back randyr

But in an attempt to pass this off as anything other than spam, I will take the opportunity to point out that while it's by no means a majority, the BP crowd is probably a substantial portion of a mod's target audience, so it might be worth making sure things work right, adding warnings, and such. Not that I go out of my way to do so, myself.

#9 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 12:08 AM

Yep, I would join this discussion by pointing out that MOST of my BG2-playing friends (both in RL or from the net) tend to play the game with Ascension and such instead of BP.
And TDD has the WORST reputation everywhere. Without any offense, but still. :huh:
Posted Image

#10 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 01:31 AM

Thanx for your comment Galactygon! Yet I'm not entirely sure I get the meaning of "setting the S.A. kit is mandatory"... setting?

One thing I have to say is that currently I'm doing nothing about TDD and BP compatibility, other than trying to use reasonable WeiDU coding. No specific compatibility settings fot those two, that is. I simply don't have them, I don't know anything about them, and I have the feeling that they change too many things in an "unclean" way.
If you have specific suggestions/requests for compatibility with those, I'll be happy to hear :)

#11 -Sim-

-Sim-

Posted 24 December 2003 - 03:01 AM

The idea about non-WeiDU mods changing things in "unclean" ways is actually pretty much a myth when it comes to installing WeiDU mods AFTER them. Good WeiDU coding will probably help things along, but it's the scale of the non-WeiDU mod's changes more than the choice of installation method that has the impact here.

#12 -stormbringer-

-stormbringer-

Posted 24 December 2003 - 07:31 AM

I am one of the people that does enjoy BP and the rest so just one simple question ...........Is this compatible with BP?
Thanks before I leave for the time and effort put in by one and all on any mods out there I just love BG and D&D.
:D

#13 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 09:46 AM

I know what you mean Sim, but there are other issues, like file naming, for instance.
Non-WeiDU mods, to my knowledge, are not built with too much care on that aspect.

WeiDU mods normally are, and Refinements will be (we try to use everywhere names like: TG#**** or LI#****, with a few exceptions).
Ok, handling it this side should be enough, but I think the reputation of "generic incompatibility" gained by those larger Non-WeiDU mods isn't totally undeserved.
They really haven't been built with compatibility in mind.

@Stormbringer:
As I explained above, I can't know. Probably it will be compatible, but I have not those mods and quite surely I won't ever have them. (I have MANY WeiDU mods and Tortured Souls).
But, I can assure that I'm trying to build the mod in the most "regular" way.
I have already requested to Westley Weimer two new features to build an even cleaner installer (and he gently added them to WeiDU): really we can't do more than this.

Other than that, I will rely on people reports (if any...).
Example: for the Sword Angel we already support ItemUpgrade and Ruad.
If TDD adds new items (surely it does) it may happen (not necessarily) that some of them will be unproperly usable by SA. Or maybe some other problems will show.

#14 -Sim-

-Sim-

Posted 24 December 2003 - 09:52 AM

WeiDU mods normally are, and Refinements will be (we try to use everywhere names like: TG#**** or LI#****, with a few exceptions).

I'm fairly sure all the big mods use file prefixes too. On their own, they're a pretty half-assed attempt at compatibility, but are helpful for remembering which files are yours. :)

Ok, handling it this side should be enough, but I think the reputation of "generic incompatibility" gained by those larger Non-WeiDU mods isn't totally undeserved.
They really haven't been built with compatibility in mind.

Right, but the WeiDU mods have. And I think TDD sucks as much as the next guy. In conclusion, I have no idea what I'm trying to argue here. I'm gonna go and have a pizza.

#15 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 11:28 PM

In conclusion, I have no idea what I'm trying to argue here. I'm gonna go and have a pizza.

Take it easy pal.. :P
Posted Image

#16 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 11:31 AM

The point about making new kits optional is valid even if you take TDD/BP out of the picture. There are plenty of mods (WeiDU and otherwise) that add new kits, Battles and Tactics being just two examples. IIRC TDD is the only one that maxes the slots out by itself, but install enough mods and you've got problems.

Of course for maximum compatbility, certain other things (and I'm mainly thinking of music and new spells here) should also be optional. But as AFAIK the Refinements Mod doesn't add any new music or spells, I'll stop before I get completely off-topic... ;)

#17 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 12:36 PM

There are actually quite a few new spells that are added by Refinements, however they are almost all HLAs, or new kit abilities for the Sword Angel.

Speaking of the Sword Angel, where did people get the idea that the kit was a mandatory install? I checked the thread on what the components of the mod are and the Sword Angel is listed as a component.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#18 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 12:01 PM

TDD is a highly debated topic. Many like it, others hate it. I personally am in the middle. Many of TDDs quests had good starts to it, and I liked some of the content, but the spell balances, grammar errors, lack of NPC interaction and the immense amount of bugs make many people frown upon TDD. If TDD recieves corrections to all the above, it will be a great mod.

Also, you should keep in mind that TDD was done a few years ago and many liked it. It is simply out of date that's all. And the BG2 engine wasn't known well enough at that time... full of unknowns, etc. It was a big show a few years back. Now TDD isn't the popular mod anymore... It is Sola, Kelsey, Ascension, Redemption, Flirt packs.

You should also keep in mind that BP has mods other than TDD. SOS, TS are well written, have no grammar errors, balance issues, bugs, etc. And Horred is doing a decent job cleaning up grammar errors, bugs, etc.
Posted Image

#19 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 12:25 PM

so it is possible to use sos, ts and weidu mods with bp? i havent tested it but i will try it after i completed bgtutu.
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#20 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 01:36 PM

I remember when TDD came out. I went and looked at it, and I commented, "Gee, they haven't gotten a new grammar checker since DSotSC, have they?"

Then I looked some more, and I commented, "Xzar is an elf. Elves can't be necromancers. And he no longer has enough Wisdom to be a necromancer even if he was still human."

And then I tried to uninstall DSotSC, as the spelling and grammar errors had gotten to be too much for me. And it wouldn't uninstall. I spent a few days wrestling with the thing, and for a fair amount of that time my BG1 installation couldn't be played, installed, or uninstalled. I finally wound up having to manually delete registry keys--a nerve-wracking experience.

Oddly enough, my desire to install a mod which used "by the same people who created DSotSC" as its main selling point was quite gone by the end of this experience, so I've never actually installed or played TDD, but in the circles I've traveled in, it's been pretty derided right from the word go. I've heard you get to kill Cyric in it, is that true? (Fisticuffs with a deity is, I'm afraid, pretty much an extinction-level offense for any mod in my eyes.)
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan