Photo

Probably a bug

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

A creature strikes with a weapon that puts a special spell on the target. The spell kills, but previous effects also give the creature a chance to become immune to it, in which case the spell should not apply. And it does not seem to go through with its Preset target effects, but it also has a Self-targeted effect at the end - Remove Creature. After the target dies, the creature should disappear. If the whole spell is blocked, then none of this should happen, yet this self-removal still occurs. It's not just this effect, either. Anything with Self in there still applies. I see no way this could happen without it being a bug.

Edited by temnix, 17 April 2018 - 01:05 PM.

#2 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

The target is immune, but the attacker is not. The early immunity effect doesn't make the later effects not happen; it just makes the target immune to them.

Try adding another early immunity effect with the same probability and target = 9.

Edited by subtledoctor, 17 April 2018 - 06:49 PM.

#3 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:12 AM

I have to make peace with you for the sake of the results, unpleasant as you are. I don't know if this solution would work. I'll take suggestions from any corner. The whole mechanism implements disbelief. It works in the following way for the illusionary weapons of phantom warriors:

Spell 1, save. vs. spell: blocks spell 2

Spell 2, no save: Protection from Gender: Illusionary

When a creature is struck by an illusion, it by default becomes immune to that Gender, unless it fails a saving throw against the spoiler spell that prevents this from happening for a round. More powerful creatures and wizards have better chances to save and so more often disbelieve. The protection itself comes in a round later. In the first round there is only doubt, and the phantom warriors can still strike with their spears, though phantom damage only lasts a round. Then hit points come back and the creature gets another chance to disbelieve as the spoiler spell wears off. With Phantasmal Killer, however, which is what I'm working on now, protection had to be immediate and include immunity to the effects of the hit, because a phantasmal killer kills if it lands a blow. The system here looks like this:

Spell 1, save vs. spell: blocks spell 2

Spell 2, no save: blocks spell 3 + Protection from Illusionary

Spell 3, no save: kills

And here is where I want to insert a Self-targeted Remove Creature effect, because a phantasmal killer only gets to kill once, in my interpretation anyway. But if I put somewhere above, in Spell 2, a Self-targeted protection from Spell 3, as you, subtledoctor, propose, then the removal in Spell 3 also will not happen. In other words, I want it both ways: for Spell 3 and everything in it to be blocked completely if the target succeeds in saving, but also for all of the effects to take place if the save attempt fails.