• Please log in to reply
546 replies to this topic

#441 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

Oh! Yeah, I'll look into that after the finals (i'm having my ass kicked by Population Management and Zooecology rn).

I kinda need to get into the modding mindset with a clear head. I'm not a programmer by any stretch, lots of ARP was me wrangling bits of code out of other people's mods and repurposing it. Plus, it's been years since I did any meaningful work on it despite the promises of still-unearthed content so sometimes it just looks like nonsense to me, haha.

#442 Felipe

Felipe
  • Modder
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:29 AM

I've never beaten BG2 and I'm very interested in restored content and seeing everything that was planned.

I hope you had a look at the other restoration patch that exists.

Almateria - Will you use the latest weidu? I ask because several things were fixed http://www.weidu.org...iDU-Changes.txt

Core i7 3770 3.4 Ghz - 16 GB RAM - Win10 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 4000

#443 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:16 PM

Is there any update for fixing the bug Salk listed above?

http://www.shsforums...oject/?p=598414
Nihilism makes me smile.

#444 -Highest Order of Bullshit-

-Highest Order of Bullshit-

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:50 PM

So I was looking through BWS the other day, and everything was unmarked and red.

But is it safe to say that your mod is still ok to use except the Final Slayer Dream component?

#445 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:08 PM

So I was looking through BWS the other day, and everything was unmarked and red.

But is it safe to say that your mod is still ok to use except the Final Slayer Dream component?

If you read about the issues and decide to use the mod, you can do that. All BWS tries to do is to inform you that problems exist and it does not force the mod into your install by default.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#446 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:37 AM

Is there any update for fixing the bug Salk listed above?

http://www.shsforums...oject/?p=598414

no because it works for me

i for real cannot change a problem where i do not physically see one

especially considering i haven't touched said component for years before that even came up

e: i really wanna help but i seriously can't lmao.

Edited by Almateria, 02 April 2018 - 04:37 AM.

#447 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:56 AM

Earlier you said you found more unearthed content? What is there left you managed to find? I'm curious! I thought by now you managed to dig everything out, I'm surprised there is still more to find. Now I kind of wish the Black Isle Developers left some kind of documentation, but I guess they didn't think anyone would be digging around in the game like that years later.

#448 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:57 AM

Hi Almateria,

the mod adds this script block to ar4000.bcs:

IF
    OnCreation()
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        SetGlobal("MasteredTheSlayer","GLOBAL",1)
END

Since it's patched via EXTEND_TOP and the original script starts with an "OnCreation()" trigger, this script block would need a "Continue()" for the chapter setting to be executed properly:

IF
    OnCreation()
THEN
    RESPONSE #100

Continue()
END

As it is now, it probably breaks chapter setting in ToB which leads to wrong chapter numbers which causes problems for some (NPC) mods.

Link to discussion: http://gibberlings3....topic=29295&hl=

#449 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:04 AM

Like said, you don't want to do this.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#450 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:24 AM

Why not? The Continue() after setting a variable would only be bad if the mod expects the variable to be set for later script blocks of the same script.

As it is, the quoted script block might lead to the chapter number not being increased, so it should be changed. It could also be changed into a patch via EXTEND_BOTTOM, of course.

#451 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:17 AM

Why not? The Continue() after setting a variable would only be bad if the mod expects the variable to be set for later script blocks of the same script.

As it is, the quoted script block might lead to the chapter number not being increased, so it should be changed. It could also be changed into a patch via EXTEND_BOTTOM, of course.

But you can't use an OnCreation() trigger on extend_bottom ...

And the first question, well, cause the OnCreation script block is used as the only one at the very first run. The only problem becomes if there's another OnCreation() trigger that's also true, later in the script... as then that's not true. And if there is, then ... it would be better to just not use the OnCreation() trigger, but something more rational, or have other conditions as well as an OnCreation that limit the others possibility of being true at the same time... and no try to fuck up everything by adding a Continue() to a OnCreation() ... cause that will fuck up things.

Edited by The Imp, 08 July 2018 - 08:21 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#452 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:26 AM

... and no try to fuck up everything by adding a Continue() to a OnCreation() ... cause that will fuck up things.
Why, exactly?

#453 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:18 AM

Because the OnCreation() trigger is specifically designed to run 1 time, and be true only that 1 time. It's false in every time after, so it's skipped ... in all the following run through...

#454 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:52 PM

I thought Continue() leads to all script blocks being executed at the same cycle.

Are you saying "OnCreation()" will only give true in the first script block, even though the following one would be executed in the same cycle because of the Continue()?

#455 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:11 PM

Uh, for me OnCreation() was just a very hacky copy of how the game tends to deal with single time happenings in both SoA and ToB starting areas. Changing it is no big deal.

IESDP says to use a Continue() after it, tho.

#456 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:18 PM

Safest thing would be to change the script block to

IF
    !Global("MasteredTheSlayer","GLOBAL",1)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
END

and patch it via EXTEND_BOTTOM. - Or will the variable "MasteredTheSlayer" be set to something different later? (In EET all areas can be revisited so this would lead to the variable being reset to "1", of course.)

In that case, add another check variable, e.g.
IF
Global("Yourprefix_SetMasteredTheSlayer","MYAREA",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("Yourprefix_SetMasteredTheSlayer","MYAREA",1)
END
(Not that I'd need to tell you this, but I like to make clear what I am referring to.)

Or take the last version, add a Continue() and patch it to TOP.

#457 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:22 PM

and patch it via EXTEND_BOTTOM. - Or will the variable "MasteredTheSlayer" be set to something different later? (In EET all areas can be revisited so this would lead to the variable being reset to "1", of course.)

EET sure is a thing, but a) it's a bit of a pain in the butt to add extra variables for that b) i think that like, with the story explanation of Slayer form being a thing caused by your soul-ripping by Irenicus, it can be assumed that you kinda "mastered" it innately by regaining it.

Which would, of course, make the grove trial not doable in ToB, but said trial only changes it so your form change won't cast SLAYER_FEAR on everyone surrounding, including your teammates. (Incidentally, don't use the unmastered slayer change near plot-critical NPCs, cuz that counts as an attack. Elhan, for example, instakills you.)

#458 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:29 PM

Jarno, I don't understand: are you saying that having the first block of the script like that

IF
    OnCreation()
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        blah
        Continue()
END
will prevent second block like that
IF
    OnCreation()
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        yada
END
from happening? Because if not, there's no reason to not to use two OnCreation's in the adjacent blocks.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#459 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:12 PM

Jarno, I don't understand: are you saying that having the first block of the script like that
No, the exact opposite... but the exact thought is that having a OnCreation() condition in the IF, will prevent all the rest. As there is no NEED to go on.
Aka you would never use a OnCreation() ... if you intend to then use a Continue() ...

#460 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:20 PM

No, the exact opposite... but the exact thought is that having a OnCreation() condition in the IF, will prevent all the rest. As there is no NEED to go on.
Aka you would never use a OnCreation() ... if you intend to then use a Continue() ...

While this is the best kind of correct (technically), no one really uses it this way. Most of the time you see the instant triggers (OnCreation, Died, Opened, etc.) it's so you can skip a bounding variable. I'm not sure I've ever seen instant triggers used in the way you suggest to block other instants. Pairing OnCreation with Continue is generally SOP to avoid mods stepping on each other, like here.

In general, though, I recommend avoiding the instant triggers anyway as there are numerous ways they can go flaky. You're almost always better served with a different check and a bounding variable.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.