• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:52 AM

I have played the Grey Clan mod today.

Honestly, I don't recommend it at all.

--> It's mostly fight after fight with an excuse of something big boiling in the pot in the ending, something big that you'll never see because you are reminded that your due explanations will come in following episodes.

--> For anyone looking for the grass key, after you have saved the endangered girl and cleaned the inn from any enemy, you have to go top, near the exit of the level (Follow the white trail to the end). You will meet the husband of the girl.
Don't choose the evil dialogue option, otherwise you won't get the brass key.
This mod punishes you for going evil. 

[Spoiler about a scripted fight with one of the bosses]

Spoiler

Spoiler for myself related to the story of the mod, in case I forget about it:
Spoiler

Curiosity: if you have issues beating a certain enemy, you can lure it to other npcs and they will start focusing and attacking each other.

Edited by Sergio, 08 May 2019 - 08:54 AM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#2 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:50 AM

Dark horizons [Bg1] --> I don't recommend this mod.

Spoiler

Other things to note

Spoiler
  • 1- You enter the Oversight Estate without butchering anyone because they just let you pass and then as soon as you see the chief, he just starts screaming KILL HIM without not even listening to what you got to say.

Needless to say, the “password” to get through the door was given to you by another component of this group that frankly believes that you are getting so many ambushes and pain you do not deserve.
    So, if the organization is good, you think that you could get through their “main compound” … And that goes right to the point.
    You said in the dark horizons website that the mastermind behind everything is George.
    In Dark Horizons website, you say, under “Oversight Estate” these words: 
    “Fight your way to the cellar and confront George who has been behind this all along.”

The group is mislead by George. But if the group was mislead, it means that what happened with all these ambushes wasn’t supposed to happen. 
    So bear with me, I enter Jones’s room, and the only thing he is able to say is “OH YOU SHOULDN’T HAVE COME INSIDE THIS BUILDING NOW I KILL YOU”; what the fuck, are you serious? And you are the chief of a supposed force of good? 

From that dialogue , I could be sure, if I only played baldur’s gate, that Nikita was just a imbecile that didn’t realize that the whole organization was indoubtlessly EVIL and she should have intelligence 3 to not notice that.

Now let’s go back to the meeting ofwith Jon.
    If Jon doesn’t know that the group was mislead I would imagine that when you enter his room, he would be surprised, and not angry with Charname. Not angry at all, especially because you didn’t murder all the people inside the building and entered diplomatically.
    So I guess that the current outcome of that meeting should be for the guy that entered the compound and slayed everyone – so basically a without that cheesy password to enter the compound. 
    Or if Johns, right after meeting the bhaalspawn and asking him what happened and why he is there, wouldn’t get any answer because the bhaalspawn attacks him without even talking.

-> And the whole encounter makes even less sense if you think that the organization should be good when the mage just goes away mumbling “oh sorry I gotta go” – with Jones mumbling something like “YOU’LL PAY FOR THIS TREACHERY”. And then he goes back to murder you and your party. Oh yes, you are really a good person.

2- There is a point where right after entering the section beneath the beregost’s room, you get teleported to another place. Now what I want to say is the following: you get ambushed by thirty people and not only that, but Nikita leaves you to your destiny saying that the organization got mislead. Thanks for your help while I deal with 40 people lusting for my blood.
    I have a bad relationship with Harpers, especially because they treat your main character as a piece of crap, without even apologizing for what happened, but this organization has over 130 npcs that wants your blood for I don’t know which exact reason while I’m trying to save the whole Baldur’s gate. What is going on ? Are you all serious? Why did Nikita got redeemed like that? What are the orders? What is going on?

3- If the organization is working for good, why were they hired by Koveras? 
    You said that they got mislead by George, but damn, George is the second, and he is supposed to give orders around and I find hard to believe that Jones is staring the stairs of his room while all this happens. 

4- Nikita: Do not tell me that she is “good”. As soon as you get out of that mess, she asks you to destroy the organization. The organization is supposed to be good (let’s forget that she leaves them fighting you because she realized that she was doing bad when ambushing you where NO ONE KNOWS WHAT YOU’VE DONE OR WHY THEY ARE TRYING TO MURDER YOU? ) What is going on? The redemption is not believable at all. Especially because she asks you to destroy the organization she worked for. Did she have a “sudden” change of mind? It seems that something didn’t work in the mechanism and she just say “ok let’s just destroy everyone because they deserve it”. I do not know what to think. 

Edited by Sergio, 29 June 2019 - 11:01 PM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#3 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:21 PM

Tales of Anegh

Spoiler

A spoiler for the curious about the story of the whole mod:
Spoiler

IMPORTANT NOTE: No differences between SoA and ToB ending from what I've seen, even if the readme claims otherwise.

Tecnical info here:
http://www.shsforums...anegh/?p=606432
http://www.shsforums...anegh/?p=606443

Edited by Sergio, 10 May 2019 - 01:56 AM.

#4 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:23 PM

Fishing for Trouble (http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/fft)

Spoiler

More technical info here: http://www.shsforums...d-fft/?p=571073

#5 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:57 PM

Thank you for your reviews. Very interesting!

In case you want to elaborate on bugs you encounter, feel free to do so (or post them into the mod's fourm, of course).

#6 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:07 PM

The Vault. -->  I don't recommend this mod

Note from Maximus2001 (found here: http://www.shsforums...eased/?p=530990)

Spoiler

More informations (found here: http://www.shsforums...eased/?p=530990)

Spoiler

More information, personal edit. To start the vampire quest:

Spoiler

Carnival location for the nether scrolls
Spoiler

REVIEW
Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 19 June 2019 - 01:28 AM.

#7 ChitownWillie

ChitownWillie
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:34 AM

Sergio,

Thank you so much for your reviews!

Keep 'em coming!

#8 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:20 PM

Dark Side of The sword coast. ---> I don't recommend this mod.

Review

Spoiler

Walkthrough

Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 12 November 2019 - 02:09 AM.

#9 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:43 AM

Stone of Avaskar  ---> I don’t recommend this mod. Don’t read the review if you’ve never played BG1

Walkthrough: http://www.baldursga...hp?topic=4657.0

Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 19 June 2019 - 01:32 AM.

#10 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:58 AM

Sergio, thank you for taking the time to write these reviews. Very informative. I'm looking forward for more.

#11 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:15 AM

"T'was a Slow Boat from Kara-Tur” --> Not recommend for now, as of 10/05/2019 (day/month/year).
Could be worth a play when “fixed”.

Review:

Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 10 May 2019 - 10:20 PM.

#12 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:44 AM

Ajoc Minimod, BG2 --> I definitely don't recommend this mod

Review

Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 17 May 2019 - 09:37 PM.

#13 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:39 AM

Sergio, are there any mods out there you actually recommend? I mean the story content, mostly. I didn't play most megamods since I suspected it might not suit my expectations, but boy, are there any story-oriented mods (except Lava's mods) that are worth installing at all?

#14 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:44 AM

@Jastey <3
@K4thos <3
@ChitownWillie <3

@Cahir
Just install everything that is from Jastey, Kulyok, Lava Del Vortel and your playthrough will turn out fine. I also recommend every mod and dog ( I remember to have played it as a kid and liking it very much, but my memories about it are kinda evanescent).

Expanded thief stronghold [BG2] ---> I don’t recommend this mod

Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 13 May 2019 - 09:33 AM.

#15 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:07 AM

Just install everything that is from Jastey, Kulyok, Lava Del Vortel

Thanks for the kind words!

#16 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:46 PM

Expanded Mage stronghold [BG2] , named "Mage stronghold" in BWS-EE ---> Mod not recommended.

Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 13 May 2019 - 01:03 PM.

#17 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:40 PM

Just install everything that is from Jastey, Kulyok, Lava Del Vortel

Thanks for the kind words!

I initially read it as what NOT to install! :P

{joke, friends, j/k'ing}

Expanded thief stronghold [BG2] ---> I don’t recommend this mod

First, thanks for the reviews!

They are your opinion, and I and many of us appreciate them, even if we don't agree.

I disagree with you on this one. :D

(I'm 'typing' from memory...)
* The rescue is just an action transition to justify getting access to her store items. I do agree we players should have been given a choice to opt out. Still, many mods do this, the base games do it, so I don't see what's bad here.
* BiG thing we ALL should remember about most mods - they were created years before there was a method to merge BG1 and BG2. No way Blucher, during his era, could have anticipated needing more dialogue options for MegaInstall players.

* Extra note--
-- Many BG1 mods were made before BG2 was even released.
-- a lot of BG-2 mods were made before mega-mods introduced a new era.

My own opinion-- I like the mod - a lot: not over the top; not underwhelming; has a nice, well-developed mini-narrative; the writing is acceptable, even enjoyable; no cheese in the fights (that I can remember); has content if you side against the thieves.

Please my friend, give us more reviews! We don't have enough members doing this, in their own dedicated discussions.

Edited by Azazello, 13 May 2019 - 01:45 PM.

#18 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:42 AM

@Azazello. 

Spoiler

Azengaard encounter  [BG2] --> I don't recommend this mod

Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 14 May 2019 - 08:58 AM.

#19 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:33 AM

Imnesvale invasion [bg2] --> I don't recommend it

Spoiler

#20 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:45 AM

Expanded Mage stronghold [BG2] , named "Mage stronghold" in BWS-EE ---> Mod not recommended.

You sadly missed the best part of this mod ;) (Roxanne's release dropped some of the story)

Spoiler

Edited by K4thos, 14 May 2019 - 07:48 AM.