Photo

Reviews

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Sergio

Sergio
  • 854 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:06 AM

Questpack component - Nezariel the lich --> not worth it, sadly. Could be a must have with a little more work, sadly. 

I've played the mod component Nezariel the Lich from the Questpack (by Simding0) and I doubt very much I will be installing it again.

In this mod, you face a lich that is hiding... Why? Maybe you want to play the mod and I will hide everything behind a spoiler.

Spoiler

The dialogue with the lich is well done. His reasoning for hiding is well done. Even his melancholy is evident from his words. 

So why I won’t be installing it for my next playthroughs? Because the mod lacks choices. You got only one path to do stuff (it seems). Even having a cleric in the party seems to make no difference

Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 11 July 2019 - 08:33 AM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#42 Sergio

Sergio
  • 854 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:28 AM

Tower of Deception [BG2] --->  I do not recommend it

At first impact, the mod seems ok.

You are tasked to get a book from a tower; you accept the mission and you see <charname> in a cutscene embarking to reach the tower (well done). You also get a 3d video that shows the appearance of the tower, including skulls on spikes, without nothing that makes you think “well, that’s mod added” (like signatures, etc). In fact, even the video is well done.

Sadly, the good things end here.

The mod is an excuse to go through a pointless dungeon getting a book, but lacks details and refinerement.

1) There are graphical glitches (lines) – sadly even in the cutscene where you embark.

2) Everything that moves has to be killed apart from a cleric and a driad. And also prisoners...

3) You find prisoners inside the tower,  but it seems that even when you finish the quest no one cares about them. In fact, you will seal off the entrance in the end. Who cares about prisoners, you are the spawn of murder after all.

4) Betraying the mage that asked you to get the book will make you retain the book, but sadly the book is useless.

5) Mod seems to be incomplete, as shown by the original author idea: [URL="https://sorcerers.ne...e-5#post-735193"]Tower of Deception for BG2[/URL]

I will copy paste, though: Ok, guys, about the book. It was left unfinished for the future purpose, as I wanted to use it in the second part of TOD, which would include one new city area (borrowed from random Athkatla area arts). I still working on that in my free time together with Razfallow. But I do not have free time very often, so you´ll have to wait. Second TOD part will be the last and you will finally have an option to unseal the book. But who knows, maybe it won´t be so easy as it will look like for the first time... :P
Glad you all liked it and thanks for that... Just be patient and wait for its final part.

6) So in the end the tower gets sealed to prevent the ancient evil that resides there to flee. Which ancient evil? 

Added some images as bonus, this time:

https://ibb.co/bN8KtBf

Don't get too accustomed to images ;)

Edited by Sergio, 11 July 2019 - 09:27 AM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#43 Sergio

Sergio
  • 854 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:39 AM

Test your Mettle [bg2] --> Not for me. Try it and see if it suits you, though!

With this mod I've got a strange relationship. You see, I've finished Planescape Torment a lot of times, but no matter how much I tried, I seem to remember I was able to reach the end of the mordron maze only one time.

So, you got it, 

> I do not like mazes and even this time I couldn't reach the end of it even if I spent a lot of time trying to. :(
> The fact that you farm stuff for items, even if it makes sense in the game context, does not appeal me.
> if you don't like Area-reusing, know that the mod uses the mordron maze from Planescape Torment.

Your choice, really.

Edited by Sergio, 13 July 2019 - 10:04 AM.

#44 Shuv-Oohl

Shuv-Oohl
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:40 AM

w.r.t. Tower of Deception, 6):

Did You fight the final battle with Ustraint?

Edited by Shuv-Oohl, 11 July 2019 - 11:40 AM.

#45 Sergio

Sergio
  • 854 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:51 PM

w.r.t. Tower of Deception, 6):

Did You fight the final battle with Ustraint?

Nope. After getting the book and reading its description (that was claiming you were not strong enough to open the wards of the book itself) I:

> brought the book to Ribald;

> brought the book to the girl that sells scrolls;

> actually levelled with a <charname> mage to level 40, hoping that the book could be unlocked.

Given that I had no result, I first asked Roxanne about it:

http://baldursextend...7/#Comment_4587

Then started scouting the files of TOD and read va#USTRN.tra. You’re supposed to meet the tower owner and the dialogues with him will escalate in a fight, it seems no matter what you choose:

Spoiler

So, were you looking for something in particular? To be honest I didn't care about the same nth fight.

Edit: I finally faced ustraint. So... all of the above applies anyway. For anyone wondering how to face him, just rest outside with the sword in your possession (The one you took from the dungeon). 

Edited by Sergio, 12 July 2019 - 01:00 AM.

#46 Sergio

Sergio
  • 854 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:00 AM

Reunion ---> try it and see if you enjoy it.

The story start right after Amkethran (TOB), where Nalia asks for your help because her fortress is under attack. The mod adds a new layer of characterization for <charname>  story, the chance talk with Alianna, your old mother, and an adversary that has something in common with <charname> .
There is not much else to say, more than the mod left me “neutral”.  I think it can be installed to spice a bit ToB, but I doubt it will be a must in my playthroughs. 

A note: the mod requires Nalia to be played. 

Edited by Sergio, 13 July 2019 - 10:02 AM.

#47 Sergio

Sergio
  • 854 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:49 AM

Fade – npc mod [bg2] -->  try it. Doubt I'll be reinstalling it again

I’ve played and finished Fade. I’m not totally sure I was left satisfied totally by the mod. The issue I’ve found is that Fade has potential, but it is hindered by a lack of “ambition” on the way things are done first, and second a lack of expansion on threads that are faced while you discuss with her.

Good things:

> The introduction of Fade to the party is well done. When you meet her, you don’t think “hey, this is mod added”. So, definitely a plus.

> The first quest you do for her is well done too.

> You romance her (taste is definitely subjective) until the end.

So... why am I not totally satisfied by her? This has spoiler, so read at your own risk:

Spoiler

So... all in all what does Fade lack for me? A closure to the various things you are thrown into, making the mod itself suffer for what is going on. Also, sometimes, I thought that some dialogues option were not the one I would be answering if I was <charname> (but this is definitely subjective and as such I won’t expand further).

Still I want to thank Mystress Elisia (should be the one that made the Soa part), Kai of Candlekeep (that made the Tob part) and Jastey (for all the help and manteinance on the mod).

Edited by Sergio, 15 July 2019 - 10:37 AM.

#48 jastey

jastey
  • Staff
  • 1769 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for the review on Fade. Don't forget to credit Lava for the ToB part.

#49 Sergio

Sergio
  • 854 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:33 AM

Will O wisp --> played only the stronghold part. Can be confused for original content.

I’ve played the Stronghold part of Will’o’wisp (didn’t let the npc in the area join me, for now).

I will say that the place of the stronghold is really well done (even if it a Sod-edited-area). Having played SoD only once 1-(2?) years ago I couldn’t remember such an area so for me it was totally new.
This mod can be confused for a stronghold bundled within the game (I guess this is the best achievement one can have, no?).

Said this, I would have loved a path for the last quest, an evil path, available.

Edited by Sergio, Yesterday, 05:54 AM.