bg2 journal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fenyald

Fenyald
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 05:52 AM

Hello

I'm planning to scribe rp entries in the personal journal of original BG2, but I would like as well to transfer them out of the game, maybe with the help of NearInfinity or other.

Does someone know where or how they are stored? I haven't found a way to do it when looking around in the game's files.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Fenyald, 24 March 2020 - 05:53 AM.

#2 Isewein

Isewein
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:16 PM

I've definitely done this before somehow. They are stored in the baldur.gam file of your save game (bottom of the list of attributes in NI), but it may be more practical to just copy them out via ctrl-c.

#3 Fenyald

Fenyald
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:09 AM

Thank you for your answer! I'll make good use of it, since copy pasting was unwieldy and I also had the same problems that are mentioned and resolved here [G3: Add Map Notes crashing]

EDIT: I found what I was looking for.

Through Near Infinity, indeed under Saves> [NameOfSave]>BALDUR.GAM, in the tab "Edit" are the strings associated with user entries in the journal. They are named Journal entry X in the "Attribute" column; the associated values are accessible with the "View/Edit" button at the bottom.

The text itself is stored in Saves> [NameOfSave]>BALDUR.SAV. Using the "Decompress" button at the bottom gives access to the function "View/Edit" for the DEFAULT.TOT file. Another use of "View/Edit" opens the table associated to the string, permitting copy past of the entry's text to whatever word processor you want, from the second column of the "Text" line. If no change is intended, no need to recompress the save. Each attribute equals an input by the user, not a journal entry, so if entries have been revised or written in multiple occurrences, they'll be divided into so much lines.

Edited by Fenyald, 18 April 2020 - 08:11 AM.