Dante NPC Mod planning

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#81 Lady LeFay

Lady LeFay

The Resident Perverted Freak

• 320 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:56 PM

Another Paladin might take up the whole renouncing the paladinhood thing, but from what I've seen(which I'll admit isn't that much) Dante seems incredibly cool, and despite being gay I would gladly add him to my party.
Overall, I believe that Keldorn values the persuit of goodness in general. If you recall, a number of his banters with the PC involve your taint and it's obvious that he finds it outright abominable, he still does the best he can to keep from persecuting you for it, provided you don't start commiting evil deeds.
So as long as Dante doesn't start killing innocent people, stealing, raping and such, he won't consider Dante as anything more than a rather mixed up kid.

awww Thank you Grey.

Yea, I've created characters for all sorts of things, and Dante is my most darling little child if you know what I mean. a bit of belmont, quite a bit of Galahad (the pure knight and Launcelot's son in Arthurian Legend if you don't know). He really took off an became his own person.
"This Rod will be your doom!" -- Kilik.
"Do you know how much that turns me on, Ki?"
"Maxi! I'm trying to be serious here!" -- Maxi and Kilik

When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear. -- Mark Twain

To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity.
Oscar Wilde

And alien tears will fill for him Pity's long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn.

Dante Romancable Mod: 'Tis a courtly love of a different sort

#82 Grey Acumen

Grey Acumen

Hunter of the Doomed

• 2047 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:57 PM

I don't know about that, I didn't think all Vampirism was intentional. Admittedly, Valen probably wouldn't give up her affliction if she had the opportunity, thereby making it choice, but I don't think vampirism itself should cause the same conflict as a lich.

Will there be problems with Edwin, since Edwin is trying to learn how to become a lich?
Improved Beastmaster ---------- [Complete!]
Mime Bardic Kit ------------------- [Complete!]
Rebalanced Use Any Item HLA -- [Complete!]
Improved Wizard Slayer --------- [Complete!]
Stormsinger Ultimate Elemental Bardic Kit [75%]

Find out what else is in store at Acumen's Assortment

#83 Lady LeFay

Lady LeFay

• 320 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:02 PM

He would definitely warned Edwin against doing it, and in a rare meanish streak he has a very "I told you so" attitude when Edwin is Edwina.

To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity.
Oscar Wilde

And alien tears will fill for him Pity's long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn.

#84 -Cybersquirt-

-Cybersquirt-

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:28 PM

Whether or not his order is involved is unclear, but if this society frowns upon infedelity so unforgivingly, then what hope is there for an openly gay paladin? I suppose we can continue to pretend that the people living in this fantasy world would have no objections, however.

You're doing it again! Homosexuality IS NOT infidelity.

btw, an aspect of homophobia is equating homosexuality with "unnatural" behavior aka anti-god/diety aka evil. That's not such a hard train of logic to follow.

..and I never said that no one would have a problem with it. I just don't think everyone would. (the whole extreme's thing, remember?)

#85 Lady LeFay

Lady LeFay

• 320 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 03:18 AM

Yes Amn has a very stiff law on fidelity. (Keldorn's order doesn't seem to get into the political field too much if one takes in what Anomen says), but yet Mistressing seems to be an extremely common practice--making me believe that this fidelity law seem to apply to women--unfair, yes, but that is the impression I got--or that most nobles turn a blind eye for the sakes of appearance. Perhaps there is laws against homosexual affairs in Amn and the like, but perhaps it's rarely enforced unless there is some ulterior motive for it.

However, everyone assumes here seems Dante is openly gay from the start. Let me clear something up: no, he will not be, he is slowly finding himself falling for another man, and will be frighten and unsure about it, so he is exploring these new feelings while unconsciously romancing the PC at the first, until he can finally get the courage to tell him point-blank how he feels. And his "Attached"-flirts will still show an uncertainity about how one should behave in such a relationship. The only one who would have a clue besides from some of the smarter NPCs would be his twin sis that he writes to frequently.

Oscar Wilde

#86 Lady LeFay

Lady LeFay

• 320 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:04 AM

SAMPLE BANTER:
[Cave, dungeon, etc.]
Dante: Aerie, you look faint? are you all right?
Aerie: I?m fine? you? you look ill at ease as well...
Dante: I am? such a place always screams of death to me?
Aerie: We both cannot bare the dark closed places? it is strange that we both--
Dante: *distracted* it's just like a tomb, isn't it? so dark... and cold... so... so lonely, it feels like--
Aerie: D-dante, please? please... stop talking like that! you?re not making it any better!
Dante: Sorry? it?s just?ugh? I'm starting to hear the screaming? <MAINCHAR> when can we leave this place?!
Aerie: Please? can we go now, <MAINCHAR>?

-the 'screaming' will be explained later. and this is one of Dante's "off" moments.

SAMPLE Flirt:
[under 15 strength]
Dante: What the-?! (yelped as you attempted to sweep him off his feet) <Charname>! (He clung close to you in fear for his life as the two of you started to realize you could not possibly hold up a young man in full armor) Whoa?! Careful?!! Cripes! Watch out! (Too late, you staggered, swayed, and finally collapsed with the your love right smack on top of you) OAF! eooow....... Oh I'm sorry! Here, I?ll help you up (He started to get up, but you held him fast by his arm) huh?
PC: (grin) I like it this way. (lean up to kiss)
Dante: (he clamps a hand over you mouth, blushing furiously) Oh no! Not now, people are watching! (he pulls away, but whispered shyly) uhm? later?

--heh.

Oscar Wilde

#87 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:35 AM

Cool banter :D

Let me clear something up: no, he will not be, he is slowly finding himself falling for another man, and will be frighten and unsure about it, so he is exploring these new feelings while unconsciously romancing the PC at the first, until he can finally get the courage to tell him point-blank how he feels

More interesting than the chloe relationship where she is much surer about herself from the start. This way you can connect with the NPC more and appreciate him more I think. :)

*Felstorm still shudders about a relationship with another guy :P
Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#88 Lady LeFay

Lady LeFay

• 320 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 11:16 AM

@felstorm: ^_^ Doomo Arigato. (Thank you).

Well, as for the relationship with guy, you can either not d/l the mod, or just not do the romance, or just give it a spin to see if it's not as bad as you thought. ;)

Yes, I'm one of those crazy, wacko girls.

Oscar Wilde

#89 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 11:19 AM

Yes, I'm one of those crazy, wacko girls.

We still love you for it :D

I will d/l the mod, but I will NOT do the romance (sorry :( )

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#90 Lady LeFay

Lady LeFay

• 320 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 11:24 AM

perfectly fine, and I RECOMMEND having Viconia in the party with Dante for a while.

Oscar Wilde

#91 Grey Acumen

Grey Acumen

Hunter of the Doomed

• 2047 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 11:25 AM

I have to admit. I enjoy romances period. I played through as a girl just so I could see how Anemen could possibly be romantic. I dropped the entire game I was playing after he said something about how great he was cause he killed a chieftain in battle. <_<

Soulafien was okay, but in many ways, but the romance dialogues were too obvious and didn't have enough variety for my personal tastes. I haven't even downloaded Kesley, mainly because I already had enough spellcasters in my party.

Dante however seems really cool, sort of like Aerie, except with more self confidence(which is the only thing I didn't like about Aerie) Even though I'm straight, I may play through that way just too see how well this turns out.

#92 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 12:07 PM

perfectly fine, and I RECOMMEND having Viconia in the party with Dante for a while.

will do

I played through as a girl

I just couldn't do it :(

Dante however seems really cool, sort of like Aerie, except with more self confidence(which is the only thing I didn't like about Aerie)

sweet, Aerie's great, I won't romance dante prolly but he'll still be in my party :)

Soulafien was okay, but in many ways, but the romance dialogues were too obvious and didn't have enough variety for my personal tastes.

completely, that guy leapt on you practically straight off :D

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#93 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 12:33 PM

Nalia:  Well, according to the Chloe mod she's Bi.

You mean according to the contents of an unofficial mod she's bisexual?

Let's see: Weimer's Solaufein is bisexual, Imoen and Viconia are both bisexual in Lord Mirrabo's Imoen romance mod, and now Nalia's bisexual thanks to yet another author's personal interpretation of her character. Is there a character in Baldur's Gate 2 who isn't gay/bisexual?
"If you remember me, then you must also remember what you did!"

~ Edge, Panzer Dragoon Saga

#94 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 12:39 PM

btw, an aspect of homophobia is equating homosexuality with "unnatural" behavior...

This is where we disagree. Homophobia is a fear of homosexuals; anyone can believe homosexuality isn't natural or proper without shaking in fear.

An anti-homosexual religious stance, for example, isn't necessarily homophobic. It can simply stem from a belief or set of beliefs. Branding anyone whom disagrees with homosexuality as homophobic is unfair IMO.

#95 -Cybersquirt-

-Cybersquirt-

Posted 06 March 2004 - 01:45 PM

btw, an aspect of homophobia is equating homosexuality with "unnatural" behavior...

This is where we disagree. Homophobia is a fear of homosexuals; anyone can believe homosexuality isn't natural or proper without shaking in fear.

An anti-homosexual religious stance, for example, isn't necessarily homophobic. It can simply stem from a belief or set of beliefs. Branding anyone whom disagrees with homosexuality as homophobic is unfair IMO.

fear takes many forms; one does not have to be "shaking in fear" to be afraid. I further think that anyone who is completely against homosexuality is afraid of it - whether that fear be based on the possiblity of the extinction of an entire race because homosexuals cannot pro-create or whether that fear is based on one not being secure enough with their own sexuality.

I think this is 'just one of those things' wherein many grey areas lie; pro-life/pro-choice, pro-death penalty/anti-death penalty. If one looks closely at these things, and listens to the rhetoric on one side or the other, we see it usually becomes a play on words wherein one side demonizes the other. (..and isn't it ironic that one side or the other leans heavily on religion to support their arguements.)

I realize that not everyone would participate in homosexual acts because it just doesn't float their boat, but that same person does not need to descend to the level of villifying it by calling it unnatural or improper. There are many who would argue that it's the most natural thing in the world.

Edited by Cybersquirt, 06 March 2004 - 02:05 PM.

#96 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 02:11 PM

I realize that not everyone would participate in homosexual acts because it just doesn't float their boat, but that same person does not need to descend to the level of villifying it by calling it unnatural or improper.

But people can still believe it's unnatural without being afraid of it. Such a belief shouldn't always be construed as offensive either.

#97 -Sim-

-Sim-

Posted 06 March 2004 - 02:21 PM

But people can still believe it's unnatural without being afraid of it.

Isn't that more something a druid would stand against than a paladin Order? I dunno.

#98 Grey Acumen

Grey Acumen

Hunter of the Doomed

• 2047 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 02:25 PM

I have to agree with Longinus in this case, Cybersquirt. They way you talks, it sounds like you are as biased aginst people that don't support homosexuality, as you are saying those that don't support sexuality are against homosexuals.

I don't know if that made sense, but what it pretty much comes down to is; I have as much right to not believe that homosexuality is natural, as you do to believe that it is natural.

#99 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 03:57 PM

back to the whole is homosexuality wrong or right

I really started something :D

That's my stance -_-

Is there a character in Baldur's Gate 2 who isn't gay/bisexual?

Witht the power of modding then not really <_<

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#100 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:22 PM

You mean according to the contents of an unofficial mod she's bisexual?

Let's see: Weimer's Solaufein is bisexual, Imoen and Viconia are both bisexual in Lord Mirrabo's Imoen romance mod, and now Nalia's bisexual thanks to yet another author's personal interpretation of her character. Is there a character in Baldur's Gate 2 who isn't gay/bisexual?

Well, yeah, and as I said, I think it might be a good idea to avoid conflicts with other Mods. If possible conflicts with Chloe don't bother LeFay, then she is welcome to ignore that information and write her own interpretation.

As for characters that are not, off the top of my head, Anomen, Keldorn, Aerie, Jan, Edwin, Mazzy, Sarevok, and Jaheira are portrayed as having significant heterosexual relationships or orientations. It might be possible to finesse around Cernd's abandonment of his wife but that's not something I would explore.

I'm wondering what the heck is the point of complaining at length about gay themed mods that include the interpretation that some of the more ambiguous NPCs may not be heterosexual? How is Lucy's interpretation more outrageous than the heterosexual romance mod?

I agree. Which is why I've always prefered the term "heterosexsm" because it more accurately describes a form of prejudice and bias analogous to "racism" and "sexism." But by all means, I will fully admit a bias against the opinion that homosexuality is not worthy of full support. I'll fight people's right to express their opinion, but I don't feel I have to pretend that I agree with it, or pretend that it is an ideology that, when acted on, harms myself and people I care about. Being open-minded, does not mean that we walk into discussions with an empty head willing to accept any opinion as valid.

I also have a knee-jerk reaction with the term "natural" but the basic problem that just about every political and philosophical argument that invokes "natural" is both full of shit (on both sides), and at least 50 years behind the study of genetics and behavior is perhaps a topic for another time. (Here is a hint, for most of the last 50 years biologists have been talking about nature/nurture not it terms of "which" but "how much of each.") But it would be nice if this discussion got back to providing productive feedback for how to develop this mod.