AI in RTW

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 rreinier

rreinier
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 12:53 AM

As Quitch suggested: a new topic.

The question is basically very simple. Do the creatures in RtW stick to the rules the player is bound to? Or do they use illegal triggers, cast spells instantaneously to the other side of the map, or anything like that?

Also, Xyx - Quitch told me you'd be able to explain to me how your beholders aren't cheating. I uninstalled them when they started to cast spells at party members on the other side of the map...

#2 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 01:43 AM

explain to me how your beholders aren't cheating. I uninstalled them when they started to cast spells at party members on the other side of the map

Hmm, true.. this happened to me as well.
But if we can believe the hints, creatures in RtW will use completely legal tactics. If they can reach the level of aVENGER's Chosen of Cyric component, we can easily consider the AI a success. ;)
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#3 -Xyx-

-Xyx-

Posted 07 March 2004 - 01:03 PM

I hate cheating AI and will do my absolute best to keep it honest. I won't cut corners to deal with difficult situations like 100% magic resistance, off-screen summons or the Cloak of Mirroring. No forcecasting, no free spells, no SeeInvisible unless core rules mention it, no undroppable Robes of Vecna. If I can't find a way for a creature to deal with it, then tough luck for that creature.

I do assume that high Intelligence actually means something, though. The smarter creatures will use advance knowledge if they have it or figure some things out on their own given time.

The beholder thing sounds like a targeting bug to me. I've already included See(LastSeenBy()) checks in the new AI to prevent such a thing.

#4 -Sim-

-Sim-

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:13 AM

Will all creatures and wizards automatically know what protections your mage is using, courtesy of Detectable Spells?

#5 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:28 AM

Since the party knows all the protections of opposing creatures, it would only be fair to let them know that. Not the most realistic thing to do, but again, getting info on enemy protections from the action bar isn't very fair either.
I say let them detect every protections the party has ;) .
Posted Image

#6 Raistlin

Raistlin
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 12:10 PM

Any knowledgeable Mage would be able to recognize spells anyway. I know I recognize pretty much every protection based on their visual effects and spell school (well...I did at one point at least), and know most of the ways around them (without resorting to spell descriptions). It only makes sense that the enemy would have the same knowledge. I think it's realistic enough, depending on what kind of enemy is doing the detecting, at least.

I can give credit to Ascension here though. Those bastards I had trouble figuring out the first few times.

#7 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:19 PM

3rd E has a nice skill for this (Arcane Knowledge or something).
Posted Image

#8 Raistlin

Raistlin
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 02:11 PM

Yes, but we all know that 3E is inferior to 2E in so many ways.

#9 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 01:13 AM

There are many ways for enemies to find out what you're armed with well before you ever meet. We will be employing those methods.

#10 Xyx

Xyx
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 09:17 AM

Your opponents will be aware of your buffs if there's good reason to assume they should be. Detectable Spells is used. All of this approximated as closely as possible as the IE will let me, meaning I'm forced to paint with pretty broad strokes.

It mostly depends on the situation. Here's some examples:
  • Some effects are dead obvious. No mage worth his Intelligence is going to cast Maze on a raging barbarian, for example. Blade Barrier is also pretty apparent (and that's an understatement).
  • Something like Protection from Magic Weapons gets detected easily. Since it has such a short duration, I assume it usually gets cast in plain view. Its effect is also a dead giveaway. I let stuff like this be detected pretty much instantly.
  • Chaotic Commands has a long duration, so I assume it's usually cast in between battles. It's also pretty hard to spot since it's invisible and the results of saving throws are metagame information. I let stuff like this be detected only after considerable time has passed.
  • Magic resistance is tricky. IE scripts can't tell when spells fail due to magic resistance, so I'm forced to make some bold assumptions on how long it would approximately take a specific creature to spot it. If the creature relies heavily on magic (like a mage), it would notice pretty quickly (spells fizzling and stuff). Also, some character types are innately magic resistant. I assume most creatures are aware that drow, monks and skeleton warrior summons are highly resistant.

#11 Raistlin

Raistlin
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 10:44 AM

You should consider adopting Quitch's signature. Looks pretty damn perfect to me.

#12 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:30 PM

You should consider adopting Quitch's signature. Looks pretty damn perfect to me.

To bad you never played the beta. I though I'd just wade it, whoop ass, get price, get girl, ya know, the whole INT -3 hero like stuff..... I got my ass whooped so many times I couldn't sit anymore.

#13 Raistlin

Raistlin
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:45 AM

To bad you never played the beta. I though I'd just wade it, whoop ass, get price, get girl, ya know, the whole INT -3 hero like stuff..... I got my ass whooped so many times I couldn't sit anymore.

Sounds like fun! ;)

As long as it isn't one of those trial and error type "it's going to take you 20 reloads to figure out how to kill me" crap, it looks good. The enjoyable tough battles are the ones where you barely make it out alive, not the ones where your party is instantly massacred because of ridiculously stupid combinations (Teleport Field, Infernal Rat Pylons and mass Imprisonment rings a bell...).

I like battles where my spellbook ends up being empty, not where I have to load up the Auto-Save and rememorize all of the "right" spells to win the battle. That's not to say an underprepared party/mage shouldn't be slaughtered though. ;)

#14 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 12:19 PM

At least one very tough enemy respects you enough that they offer you the chance to walk away with your life.

#15 Raistlin

Raistlin
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:36 PM

At least one very tough enemy respects you enough that they offer you the chance to walk away with your life.

Yeah, but what powerful, ambitious evil mage, the son of the Lord of Murder at that, could resist trying his abilities against a foe as mighty as a Dracolich (iirc)? Afterall, to be better than them, you have to beat them.

It would take a great deal of incentive to walk away from that monster peacefully.

#16 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 12:46 AM

Some people put great stock in their life. I almost wish I could see the face of the child of Bhaal as they witness themselves turning to dust, realising that they, the most powerful creature of all, is the only one who cannot be raised. How they must scream.

#17 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:10 AM

Some people put great stock in their life. I almost wish I could see the face of the child of Bhaal as they witness themselves turning to dust, realising that they, the most powerful creature of all, is the only one who cannot be raised. How they must scream.

Point conceded, but I still can't imagine just walking away, if he is the final monster. My ignorance is burying me, however. I'll decide to put faith in your creativity and not pursue it further.

Perhaps I'll just make a note of dealing with the Dracolich after my ascension.

#18 Raistlin

Raistlin
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:13 AM

Grrrr.

It isn't automatically logging me in anymore.

#19 -Ding0-

-Ding0-

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:18 AM

Thinking "I must beat this creature" is, with a few expections, an out-of-game attitude. Many characters aren't likely to want to face a Dracolich if they don't have to... if it's in character, then walking away is fair play.

#20 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 11:53 AM

Exactly.