True Dweomers

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#221 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:56 AM

Please guys, lets just post these in the "insults to the Authors" thread, just to avoid completely hijacking this one (as if it wasn't already :wacko: ).
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#222 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 10:21 AM

Really not to argue, but you are partially wrong. They shouldn't be recovered after resting - they are not memorized and copied into books as normal mage spells, they work more like innates powers. By this method we can take full control over their use (we can set different "cooldown" for each of them, depending on power - another nice balancing tool!).

The point is that they shouldn't be recovered if you DON'T rest.
Nothing in BG2 is recovered without rest: not a magic missile, not an innate.
Certainly this cannot start with True Dweomers.

And not because you don't have any - you can fight till your very last breath when it comes to the SA, I'm sure you remember  . And although I tend to be a bit pushy even there, I always respect your decisions (even if I don't like some of them personally).

Of course, but SA is a very "confined" component, while here we're talking about changing a basic system of the game.
If one should work on (and play with) this mod, he should at least agree somewhat on the course of action. And I don't agree with you in many points, right now.
But, since I don't want to start another flame war (unlike what our faithful followers are thinking :) ), I'll behave differently this time.
You must understand that it's too tiring to debate with you.
You also seem to have a damn lot of free time: this certainly isn't true for me, and I barely manage to do some parrying here and there for all the things you keep putting in the cauldron (now even Wish for celestials!).
Yet figthing always with strenght "100" to obtain "1" is too tiring for me.
So I'll just abandon this component, for we cannot find an agreement here, and there would be too much work involved (you also plan too many TDs).
I'm leaving TOTAL freedom to you, you can do it any way you want and I'll input it, promise (provided the solutions used are correct: this is the only thing I ask, otherwise we'd lower the overall quality of the mod. The above thing isn't correct, for instance).
As for my personal views on the component, if I won't like it, I'll simply won't install it. It's just that I don't have the time and the will to debate it.
:) :rolleyes:

Now, how can one be more peaceful??? :D
(a joinable pair, now that's an idea!! I wonder what portrait people would assign me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#223 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 10:43 AM

The point is that they shouldn't be recovered if you DON'T rest.
Nothing in BG2 is recovered without rest: not a magic missile, not an innate.
Certainly this cannot start with True Dweomers.

In that case we can make them simple once/day abilities. Truly, thats the closest to the original (pnp) concept of these so far.

So I'll just abandon this component, for we cannot find an agreement here, and there would be too much work involved (you also plan too many TDs).
I'm leaving TOTAL freedom to you, you can do it any way you want and I'll input it, promise (provided the solutions used are correct:

And since I can't script, this nulls the whole idea, as you are well aware. <_< -_-
Unless I ask someone else to do it, but I won't go that low, simply out of respect. ;)

Edited by T.G.Maestro, 28 October 2004 - 10:44 AM.

Posted Image

#224 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 03:19 PM

But of course -as you pointed out- this solution makes it imopossible to "develop the same TD twice" (which sounds rather impossible itself).

Caught in the net again, since again you're running full circles.
If you don't want multiple picks of an ability, you can't use a fixed 2DA for the selection time.
Already selected abilities should disappear from the list, or appear greyed, as it happens with the tables.
You'd think it's easy to keep track of all the issues at once?

In that case we can make them simple once/day abilities. Truly, thats the closest to the original (pnp) concept of these so far.

At least it's better than admitting that the only way to implement the cooldown was the one I told you, uh?

And since I can't script, this nulls the whole idea, as you are well aware. <_<  -_-
Unless I ask someone else to do it, but I won't go that low, simply out of respect. ;)

TG, I've found solutions to problems that were generally considered unsolvable by the community (ex: use scrolls, shapeshifting, the spell shield fix...).
This doesn't make me the perfect modder, but "respect" would mean trusting a bit my words, without forcing me to battle over the same things for almost a month. Respect would also mean not implying that you could "replace" me by simply covering the scripting part.
But if you think so, I'll teach you what I know about scripting (in truth I don't know so much).
A script is:
IF something THEN something.

But you could seek indeed for that external help (you have my blessing), or you could also attempt a non-scripted solution, it's fine for me anyway, and I'll input it if it works and all the other issues are correctly handled :)
Peace, again :rolleyes:

#225 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 10:46 PM

At least it's better than admitting that the only way to implement the cooldown was the one I told you, uh?

I give up.
For all the time, it was not about arguing with you or anything, I simply tried to implement something I though would be nice. If it is indeed impossible, than sorry for my behavior. I think it was understandable to have someone TRY to reach a goal.

I admitted several imes already that your solution is technically correct. I think I was crystal clear when I said that there were other problems with it. -_-

This doesn't make me the perfect modder, but "respect" would mean trusting a bit my words

Don't be a martyr Littiz, I trust your words well enough, and the same applies for your skills when it comes to modding. This does not equal with ignoring my own beliefs on a subject though. The fact that I TRY to do something seemingly impossible on my own should not be considered stupidity or arrogance.

But if you think so, I'll teach you what I know about scripting (in truth I don't know so much).
A script is:
IF something THEN something.

Thank you.

But you could seek indeed for that external help (you have my blessing), or you could also attempt a non-scripted solution, it's fine for me anyway, and I'll input it if it works and all the other issues are correctly handled

I won't. Either you understand me or don't, doesn't matter. I would NEVER do something like this.

Edited by T.G.Maestro, 29 October 2004 - 06:38 AM.

Posted Image

#226 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 10:05 AM

if i wouldnt know you two were dudes i would think you are a married couple. you sound like my parents sometimes. :lol:
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#227 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 10:19 AM

I know what you mean Schatten. Kinda reminds me of Grumpy Old Men.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#228 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 11:08 AM

Grumpier Young Men.

Indeed.

#229 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 01:15 AM

I won't. Either you understand me or don't, doesn't matter. I would NEVER do something like this.

Then you'd have no need of provoking the thought.
But again, I am serious: feel free to implement TDs with someone else's help, I'll input them (if they work correctly; please give also some thought about how they could be best handled by the installer as a separate component :) ).

Don't be a martyr Littiz,

Not a martyr nor a servant :)

Grumpier Young Men.

Hey, I tire of this myself, this is not team working.
One should not need to explode in order to get the collaborator consider his opinions (like with my alternative version of Inner Time, not even tried once by TGM despite my initially gentle - and multiple - requests, or like with my "minimalist" views over TDs).

I am just adapting to the situation without trying to impose my views. :)
When I get only the option between working on things as "ordered" or renounce to the component (if you notice, I can manage to obtain a shift in the concept, but only with the strenght of technical reasons - and even there, not without a lot of pain), then I prefer making a step back and leave total freedom to TGM (and to anyone willing to help him doing his stuff).
I'll work when I'll happen to agree with the concepts, or even when I won't, provided the work required isn't massive as in this case.
I'm sure it's evident that I can't be more open than this :)

#230 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 03:09 AM

Understood, issue closed.

The idea is dropped for now then.
Posted Image

#231 -K2Grey-

-K2Grey-

Posted 04 November 2004 - 07:35 PM

Maybe I missed something,

But exactly what do these TDs do?

There has been alot on this thread on how to "balance" TDs, but there hasn't really been any info on exactly how powerful they are.

For example, I saw Dragon's Breath as a TD. Now Dragon's Breath is a strong spell, but the damage is not as great as melee, lots of stuff is either immune or partial resist to it, and I'm not sure if even 6x Dragon's Breath can take down 1/2 Abazigal's HP. So even if the Dragon's Breath TD is 40d10 damage no save, I'm not sure if it'd be practical to use, considering that it takes 4 rounds to cast, and applies 50% spellfailure for next 4 rounds, or whatever. Etc.

Similarly the Planetar summon isn't that useful as a TD if summoning one is going to be a lengthly process and it only sticks around for 1 turn and has the other TD effects. On the other hand if there was TD that summoned 2 Solars it'd be pretty interesting even if it took 3 rounds to cast and applies spell failure and fatigue and all that :) (assuming they stick around for a decent amount of time of course)

#232 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 07:25 AM

Similarly the Planetar summon isn't that useful as a TD if summoning one is going to be a lengthly process and it only sticks around for 1 turn and has the other TD effects.

Summon Planetar is useful... :blink:

On the other hand if there was TD that summoned 2 Solars it'd be pretty interesting even if it took 3 rounds to cast and applies spell failure and fatigue and all that

TWO Solars ??!!! :blink: It would totally screw the balance (even if you use a weaker version).

#233 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 November 2004 - 10:16 PM

Yeah, Summon Planetar is useful, but not if it's going to incapacitate the mage for the next 10 rounds.

Why do Summon Planetar and be useless for rest of the fight when you can summon 5 other miscellaneous monsters or get the cleric's Deva?

#234 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:48 AM

Really, a kinda stupid question: I know that dialogues don't look as great as menus and all the rest, but how about this:
TD innate: 0 casting time, it starts a non-set dialogue (StartDialogue(Myself,"tg#trued") ) which says:

"You prepare to remember your spell...".
You are shown your options, according to level / class / intelligence / whatever, EG "summon Planetar" -> this adds the innate Summon Planetar and applies a delayed effect to delete it if not cast in 1 round (to avoid adding multiple pre-castings and such).
You then get replied: You remembered your spell."

Afte this, you cast the innate (which has casting time = intended one minus 1), which summons the planetar and removes your planetar innate.

Various scripting solutions & other exotic stuff can be added for Wish : Rest and other possible errors.

{after all, the slayer already pops-up a dialogue, and, unless you have TOB / Asc, it isn't really needed, as it's there only to prevent mis-clicks (stupid, isn't it???)}

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#235 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:32 AM

Yes Bigg, this is an option too.
We will definitely continue this discussion after v2 has been released. ;)
Posted Image

#236 LarryTheArcher

LarryTheArcher
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:31 PM

Really, a kinda stupid question: I know that dialogues don't look as great as menus and all the rest, but how about this:
TD innate: 0 casting time, it starts a non-set dialogue (StartDialogue(Myself,"tg#trued") ) which says:

"You prepare to remember your spell...".
You are shown your options, according to level / class / intelligence / whatever, EG "summon Planetar" -> this adds the innate Summon Planetar and applies a delayed effect to delete it if not cast in 1 round (to avoid adding multiple pre-castings and such).
You then get replied: You remembered your spell."

Afte this, you cast the innate (which has casting time = intended one minus 1), which summons the planetar and removes your planetar innate.

Various scripting solutions & other exotic stuff can be added for Wish : Rest and other possible errors.

{after all, the slayer already pops-up a dialogue, and, unless you have TOB / Asc, it isn't really needed, as it's there only to prevent mis-clicks (stupid, isn't it???)}

View Post

I like this Idea, similar to using the power "Sorcery" after completing the Planar Sphere Mod... It works well. It is a one time spell, innate abiliity that is given back after a rest.
Irenicus: Now I have my revenge!

Protagonist: You talk to much...

Irenicus: (It came with the soul...)