Strongholds for the NPCs

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 01:19 PM

An idea that was brought up on the Mod Idea forum of FWP, that has some merit, is the idea for party NPCs to be able to gain strongholds. For example, Valygar could become the ranger protector of Immensvale, Edwin could gain the planar sphere, Anomen could do the Temple of Helm cleric quests, etc.

A good approach to doing this, is to allow the PC to have occasional input into a decision, but largely let the NPC run it, and make their own decisions.

Discuss.

Edit: Here follows the original series of relevant posts from the FWP mod ideas board:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grey Acumen

If you can have a stronghold, why can't the rest of your party have a stronghold.

Let Jaheira become a Great Druid.

Minsc can get his own cabin.

Keldorn can go on all those lovely quests.

I usually play using the Multistronghold Mod, but it doesn't feel right when I'm a thief and I'm playing through the Paladin stronghold.
How about setting it up so that if you have a character in your party that can get a stronghold, then it becomes accesible to them.
You would simply give them advice or let them make their own decisions on how to do things. It would let you bring in lots of money and be entertaining at the same time.
Plus if you kicked someone out of your party, then you could tell them to stay at their stronghold.

In addition I think that this mod should also let you have multiple strongholds, provided that they are appropriate for your class, thus a fighter/mage could get Nalia's Keep and the Planar Sphere.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kish

I like this idea--well, parts of it. I can't see Aerie (or Imoen!) doing business with the Cowled Wizards in the Planar Sphere, and Nalia isn't demented enough to hand the De'Arnise Keep over to Korgan. Shar would not think it was funny if Viconia became a priest in the temple of a rival god--and what happens if a party has Aerie, Anomen, and Viconia, all with their respective cleric strongholds?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ajnos

Quote from: Kish on Wednesday Nov 19, 2003, 04:04:10

I like this idea--well, parts of it.  I can't see Aerie (or Imoen!) doing business with the Cowled Wizards in the Planar Sphere, and Nalia isn't demented enough to hand the De'Arnise Keep over to Korgan.

Maybe not working for the Cowls, but I could see Aerie and Imoen both wanting to help the Knights (less than say, Edwin). I was always upset that I couldn't at least point the Knights to the door (I'm not a mage, but I could find the way out, sheesh.). And Mazzy might be more suitable for the Keep, if she wanted to do it. It's only a figurehead position so she wouldn't really be tied down to one place and could keep adventuring like she seems to prefer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hendryk

I could even see Nalia trusting the Keep to Keldorn. True, he's not "more of a fighter" (a laughable line anyway when applied to a paladin or ranger) but he's a father-figure type (until you get to his house, anyway), he's plenty tough enough and probably knew not only Lord DeArnise but the Roenals too. It would certainly open up a new approach, anyway and there's no point in giving him the "paladin's stronghold" since he already lives there most of the time. A party could acquire the paladin quests through him, though, in addition to Nalia's keep.

Kish

Let's see, which characters would go with which strongholds?

Aerie could join the Temple of Lathander--her two gods are already willing enough to share her with each other, and the Temple of Lathander doesn't demand you formally adopt the faith.
Aerie could not take the Planar Sphere, she'd never do business with the Cowled Wizards.
Korgan could not take over the De'Arnise Keep, Nalia would realize almost immediately that he was worse than the Roenals.
Valygar could become protector of the Umar Hills, especially since he already lives there.
Anomen could take over the De'Arnise Keep or join the Temple of Helm. Even LG Anomen, however, would be unlikely to join the Temple of Lathander.
Cernd could become the Great Druid.
Jan could join the Shadow Thieves or take over the Planar Sphere.
Yoshimo should probably be excluded because 1) it's a plot point that he's an independent and 2) his stronghold will be lost when he is.
Nalia seems unlikely to want to deal with the Cowled Wizards or the Shadow Thieves.
Keldorn can't join the Order, as he's already a member. He could get the quests, though.
Mazzy could certainly take over the De'Arnise Keep.
Haer'Dalis could take over the playhouse.
Imoen would never deal with the Cowled Wizards, but she might agree to replace Mae'Var, especially since, if she gets the option, presumably the Shadow Thieves helped rescue her.
Jaheira could take over the De'Arnise Keep or become the Great Druid.
Minsc could become the protector of the Umar Hills.
Edwin would have the least qualms about taking over the Planar Sphere of any of the mages, however I fear his apprentices are doomed.
Viconia could not join the Temple of Talos--Shar is a jealous god.

This actually works for more characters than I'd expected, but...hmm. I have a hard time seeing most of the NPCs taking advice on stronghold quests. Even Aerie, for all her lack of self-confidence, wouldn't listen to you if you told her to give priestly counseling she knows is morally wrong or inappropriately unfeeling. Minsc might follow your lead on ranger stronghold quests and Nalia/Imoen might listen to suggestions for how to handle their guild, as long as the suggestions weren't too nasty (no "kill them all off, you'll get the embezzler that way").

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caedwyr

As to NPCs taking advice I could see them asking for a second opinion from time to time, but there's no reason for them to always rely on the PC. It might be interesting to see what path the NPC takes on each of the tasks. The only time it would be absolutely necessary for the PC to have some input is when it comes to spending party funds (authorizing the NPCs initial choice of action, or arguing for more/less) or when the party is required to do a task (go off and fight someone).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hendryk

Quote from: Kish on Wednesday Nov 19, 2003, 20:08:06

I have a hard time seeing most of the NPCs taking advice on stronghold quests.  Even Aerie, for all her lack of self-confidence, wouldn't listen to you if you told her to give priestly counseling she knows is morally wrong or inappropriately unfeeling.  Minsc might follow your lead on ranger stronghold quests and Nalia/Imoen might listen to suggestions for how to handle their guild, as long as the suggestions weren't too nasty (no "kill them all off, you'll get the embezzler that way").

This is certainly true but might not be a bad thing. If it were written specifically to enrich the NPCs, it would make sense to give them their heads in regards to their strongholds. The PC would be able to agree or disagree with decisions they took but wouldn't have options except to go along or abandon someone in an alien stronghold. After all it would be the NPC's stronghold and not the PC's, so it would certainly be more natural RP-ing that way.

Depending on how much rewriting you wanted to do, the stronghold quests could be changed or extended. For instance, Haer'Dalis could undertake some publicity stunt that might bring more bounty hunters from Sigil on opening night. If Mazzy takes the DeArnise Keep, she might get an additional encounter Isaea in which Ike stubs his toe badly by not realizing that a "common little halfling wench" would in fact dare to stand up to him. Or some halflings show up at the Keep and want to become tenants only they need a grubstake.

All in all, it could make a nice way to renew interest in some NPCs that, after umpteen times through the game, one no longer bothers with.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ajnos

Quote from: Hendryk on Wednesday Nov 19, 2003, 21:09:39

This is certainly true but might not be a bad thing.  If it were written specifically to enrich the NPCs, it would make sense to give them their heads in regards to their strongholds.  The PC would be able to agree or disagree with decisions they took but wouldn't have options except to go along or abandon someone in an alien stronghold.  After all it would be the NPC's stronghold and not the PC's, so it would certainly be more natural RP-ing that way. 

Personally, I think it'd be more interested if the NPC would act independently of the PC. It would (very) loosely be like an expansion of the Banterpacks in furthering their characters. (CN Anomen working for Helm seems weird though, no matter what the game thinks...)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kish

Quote from: Hendryk on Wednesday Nov 19, 2003, 21:09:39

This is certainly true but might not be a bad thing.  If it were written specifically to enrich the NPCs, it would make sense to give them their heads in regards to their strongholds.  The PC would be able to agree or disagree with decisions they took but wouldn't have options except to go along or abandon someone in an alien stronghold.  After all it would be the NPC's stronghold and not the PC's, so it would certainly be more natural RP-ing that way.

Yes, I think it sounds pretty good that way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Necrontyr

Mazzy already owns a home in Trademeet...

Actually the house in Trademeet is the Fentan house. It belongs to her family and they all live there. She certainly wouldn't own it.

If Mazzy took over the de'Arnise Keep perhaps a clan of halflings could show up demanding to stay with their much-loved though seldom contacted third cousin twice removed.

Actually, I always found it a little weird that none of the NPCs commented on what you did with their money (after all, they each own 1/6 of the gold). Although I hate making the game even harder for evil parties, if you wanted to RP even more I can certainly see NPCs like Edwin and Korgan hoarding their gold. They could use 'their' gold to finace their strongholds.

Anomen could also get the Order's quests.

In my opinion, Nalia would deal with the Cowled Wizards but she would never work for the Shadow Thieves.

Viconia could found a cult of Shar under Athkatla in the Unseeing Eye's place.

Korgan could start a mercenary's guild.

But what about Kelsey?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cameron

Quote from: Kish on Wednesday Nov 19, 2003, 20:08:06

Edwin would have the least qualms about taking over the Planar Sphere of any of the mages, however I fear his apprentices are doomed.

Which could lead to some great banter

The NPC's should run their respective strongholds according to their personality or nature. It would be their stronghold after all, not yours. Aerie and Nalia would be kind and caring, Anomen would be arrogant (more so) and wouldn't listen to advice, and Korgan wouldn't care so long as he made money.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grey Acumen

First off, don't forget about Valygar, he would be all over taking down the Umar Witch.

It could be set up so that if a character wasn't likely to accept the position themselves, that they may only act as a figurehead and provide the technical background. Thus Aerie may not be interested in handling the planear sphere, she might accept it only so that she could help with finding Imoen, and would let you make the desicions.

Of course, with any of the NPC's who are running a stronghold, they will have their own opinions, but the advice you would give might sway their mind to go with a more favorable choice, and of course it may or may not work.

Of course if you try to force them to make a choice that they really don't wan't to make, then they might kick you out, or in the cases where they don't want the stronghold, they may just abandon it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hendryk

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the PC being a "figurehead". If the PC isn't qualified by class for a stronghold, shouldn't it be offered flat out to the most suitable NPC if the party is going to be involved with it at all? And shouldn't there be a level check in there somewhere? Theoretically, Aerie might be only a 9th level mage when the party completes the planar sphere; not really a suitable choice then, IMO.

Grey Acumen

Quote from: Hendryk on Thursday Nov 27, 2003, 12:12:39

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the PC being a "figurehead".

No, I meant that whichever NPC that was qualified for the stronghold, if they were reluctant to take it, rather than not doing it at all, would allow you to have more control.

For instance Anomen would be far more likely to accept the stronghold at Nalia's Keep. He would most likely want to do his own thing(most likely opting for punishing the guard that was stealing, rather than being leinent) It would take a signifigant amount of talking to convince him to change his mind.

Minsc would probably try to deal with the group that was looking for the Mithril by kicking their butts, and you might have to do some serious convincing to get him to help them out by finding the Mithril necklace.

Nalia might not want to associate with the shadow thieves, but she might be willing to take over and let you make the majority of decicions, but would raise definite objections if you wanted her to have the shadow theives deal in slavery and assasinations.

And shouldn't there be a level check in there somewhere?  Theoretically, Aerie might be only a 9th level mage when the party completes the planar sphere; not really a suitable choice then, IMO.

There were never any level checks before. Usually you had to complete some quest before you got your stronghold. So if you were able to complete that quest, then you should obviously be qualified to handle the stronghold.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hendryk

Quote from: Grey Acumen on Thursday Nov 27, 2003, 13:01:18

There were never any level checks before. Usually you had to complete some quest before you got your stronghold. So if you were able to complete that quest, then you should obviously be qualified to handle the stronghold.

That's true - and it seemed distinctly weird to me to have a multiclass F9/M10 PC deferred to as a "great wizard" by the apprentices in the planar sphere. And I can't see Nalia or Imoen getting such respect from the Shadow thieves no matter what their mage levels were.

Of course, that could be addressed by giving different dialogue options depending on the stronghold NPC's identity and/or level. Renal, for instance, could tell Nalia that while she's not much of a thief, she's got some tough friends if they're willing to help her (PC would get a chance to approve or not here) and she's respectable enough to be a welcome addition politically.

It's just another factor that I think it would be nice to consider on the RP side.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

domi

Which could lead to some great banter

Erm...I think that's possible only over Valygar's dead body. Taking the Sphere from Cowlies to pass it direct to Thayvians?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Kish

Well, yes. "Over Valygar's dead body" is the logical way for a party with Edwin to get the Sphere...but you're right that Valygar should put his foot down if he's still alive.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#2 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 01:27 PM

Basically this a better way of getting all or more strongholds. :) Wouldn't the NPCs be distracted from giving their lives for the cause, if they had to attend to 'urgent' stuff in their strongholds??
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#3 Idobek

Idobek

Pocket Plane Gibberling

• 429 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 01:45 PM

I think this is a very cool idea. The problem would be making not feel like a mod. I would suggest that the NPCs gain a kind of diet stronghold. The quests could be less urgent and slightly less involved. Since there is going have to be a three way coversation between the PC, the NPC, and another bod for the major decisions to be made, less options are probably be better otherwise it will look horribly contrived, I think. Could be done though.

Cue Jester.

#4 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 02:21 PM

Cue Jester.

:huh: what does that mean??
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#5 Idobek

Idobek

Pocket Plane Gibberling

• 429 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 02:42 PM

Nothing really, private joke. It has seemed over the last couple of days that, as soon as I hit the post button, someone has replied. That someone being you most of the time. :)

Also I was a little worried you might suggest I make this mod. ;)

#6 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 02:51 PM

I thought you volunteered just by saying this. ;)

Some forums have shared audiences it seems. :D

Free your mind

#7 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:24 PM

If people want more strongholds though they can just download the right files to put in the overiride folder, I use it to get the cleric, fighter, bard and mages stronghold (I get thief but that's due to the improved thief stronghold). So this way I don't have to hear my NPC's complain/give advice if I don't want/need it.
Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#8 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:43 PM

If people want more strongholds though they can just download the right files to put in the overiride folder, I use it to get the cleric, fighter, bard and mages stronghold (I get thief but that's due to the improved thief stronghold). So this way I don't have to hear my NPC's complain/give advice if I don't want/need it.

Sure. The point to this mod would be the extra RP with NPCs to keep them in the party or, at a certain point, force them to choose between the PC and the stronghold.
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#9 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 02:00 AM

Note that the top post has been editted to include all previous relevant discussion that was held at FWP. Hopefully this older brainstorming material is of help if anyone ever decides to do something with this.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#10 Immortality

Immortality

Love Boat Captain

• 1616 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 02:46 AM

I thought Kish was doing something about this mod idea?
Hope he still is!!!!! :D
CLAN DLAN, your friendly neighborhood spanish community. Woo!

I am a retired translator. If you need my assistance, or need somebody to translate something for you, you can send me a PM. I don't check SHS regularly. Thanks!! : D

#11 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 22 May 2004 - 08:13 AM

Coolest idea I heard in a while.

Bump.

:ph34r:

#12 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 22 May 2004 - 08:24 AM

yes i had heard kish was too
:D

#13 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 03:08 PM

i though Idobek volenteered almost two months ago
"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock

#14 Efreet

Efreet
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 08:34 AM

1 If Anomen becomes a knight of the order, they could have some quests for him apart from the PC stronghold quests.

2 Do you know if there is any mod extending the warrior stronghold final battle?The grounds around De Arnisse castle are perfectly suited for a spectacular battle but what we get is the bad lord arriving with a bunch of archers and helpfully coming foreward so that it would be easy for the whole team to get to him. With good warriors, the whole fight can end in two turns.
Then she saw his eyes, red and mad as hell. And in that moment she knew that he could kill anyone, no matter how strong. Madness, true madness could put a fist through a plank.

#15 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 08 June 2004 - 08:58 AM

2 Do you know if there is any mod extending the warrior stronghold final battle?

improved battles

#16 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 09:27 AM

I have a feeling the De'Arnise Romance is also going to make some changes to it.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#17 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:10 AM

1 If Anomen becomes a knight of the order, they could have some quests for him apart from the PC stronghold quests.

Hmm, well the Order of the Radiant Heart is supposed to only accept members who're at least 40 years old, so it's really the Heart Auxillaries that Anoment joins. Might be nice to take this into account :P.

#18 Immortality

Immortality

Love Boat Captain

• 1616 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:27 AM

Sim: changes to all strongholds or changes to Nalia's only?
CLAN DLAN, your friendly neighborhood spanish community. Woo!

I am a retired translator. If you need my assistance, or need somebody to translate something for you, you can send me a PM. I don't check SHS regularly. Thanks!! : D

#19 Efreet

Efreet
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:34 AM

[improved battles.]

Thank you. I have not tried this one yet. (I have tried a dozen or so mods this week and I didn't want to modify the game to death)
Then she saw his eyes, red and mad as hell. And in that moment she knew that he could kill anyone, no matter how strong. Madness, true madness could put a fist through a plank.

#20 Meira

Meira

I'm the snow on your lips

• 411 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:06 PM

Jaheira could take over the De'Arnise Keep or become the Great Druid.

I'm not sure if Jaheira would be willing to take the responsibility from the stronghold(s), Charname is probably more than enough for her to worry about. That's the quest Gorion sort of set her to do; to look after you.

However Cernd would be perfect for the Druid grove - he is on the case anyway when you first meet him.

I think this a great idea that could add a lot of RPG value to the game - it will require a lot of writing if you want it to be perfect, though. However I don't think that every NPC should have a stronghold by default. Strongholds should be assigned to the NPCs only if the really fit to him /her.
Ihmeellinen meri

Kummalliset kalat liukuvat syvyydessä,
tuntemattomat kukat loistavat rannalla;
olen nähnyt punaista ja keltaista ja kaikki toiset värit -
mutta ihana meri on vaarallista nähdä,
se herättää tulevien seikkailujen janon:
mitä on tapahtunut sadussa, on tapahtuva minullekin.

- Edith Södergran

Amber - The BG2 NPC Mod Project Now released!
Amber's discussion forum at Gibberlings 3