• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 04:03 AM

Hi All,

Okay i must have out sick when this lesson was given but i have noticed in alot of the dialogues these days references like Say @221 =222 or Say @81 etc

Now for the life of me i cannot find the actual dialogue these characters would speak.

Could someone clarify to me what exactly is happening here, is the @221 some reference to dialog.tlk or some line in another file?

If its dialog.tlk how does the actual text of the dialogue get in there? If its a reference to another file which file would this be?

I have been looking at several .d files from various mods regarding this!

I'm sure this will all seem very obvious when pointed out!

thanks

Rabain
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#2 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 04:15 AM

You can find those strings in the appropriate .tra files. Check the .tp2 file to see which one a particular .d file is calling. The .tra files are usually in a language directory (English, Spanish, German, etc.).

#3 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 04:26 AM

Doh!

Thanks Kismet

I can see now how that works, i take it the reference takes the appropriate line from tra file of the language chosen for the component installation?

Wonderful - is it also possible that one can use Say Desc @ 84588 or something similar for item descriptions already present in the game or is that too problematic?
(where 84588 is the unidentified description of the item in dialog.tlk)

Thanks Again

Rabain
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#4 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 05:10 AM

Wonderful - is it also possible that one can use Say Desc @ 84588 or something similar for item descriptions already present in the game or is that too problematic?
(where 84588 is the unidentified description of the item in dialog.tlk)

You would only want to do that if the string was part of the stock game. Even then, it's probably just better to use the appropriate string for the description when creating the item rather than adding it in via the .tp2 file. If you did do that though, it would be: SAY DESC #123456