Photo

Aura Cleansing

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:33 AM

It would be...strange, certainly. But I see no real room for comparison between resolution and real-time vs. turn-based.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#42 -Ding0-

-Ding0-

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:35 AM

They're both things the player chooses for his or her convenience, and shouldn't impact on the decisions characters take ingame. But if one of them makes an ability obsolete, it's rendered useless to the character, so the player's options are having an influence they shouldn't over ingame decisions.

#43 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:37 AM

They're both things the player chooses for his or her convenience, and shouldn't impact on the decisions characters take ingame.

Shouldn't impact? Choosing real-time or turn-based is guaranteed to make a massive difference to the difficulty of every combat. Whether you can change weapons beyond those in the quick slots, or use potions/scrolls/wands beyond those in the quick slots--and, even without Aura Cleansing, even without Improved Alacrity for that matter, whether you can cast as many spells as your character is capable of casting. It's not a case of "without Aura Cleansing, I can play real-time and never waste a spellcasting opportunity," and unless you contend that it is, obviously real time/turn based impacts on the decisions characters take ingame.

Real time vs. turn-based is better compared to the difficulty slider than to resolution.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#44 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:38 AM

But there's a distinction between playing style ingame and out-of-game.

If there was a spell that was only available to players who played at 800x600 resolution, that would be pretty rubbish, no?

That would be a case of mixing ingame with game surrounding variables, just like not allowing Mac users to use any scrolls or something. Just like Greater Cleave IIRC from IWD2 some might not use this to its full potential and some might see it as a complete waste. I mean it goes without saying that those who do find it appropriate will enjoy it very much.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#45 -Ding0-

-Ding0-

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:39 AM

Right, but that effect is massively exaggerated if you've got an ability that is totally useless in one situation. It'd be equally weird if you had an ability that required the extra vision granted by high resolutions to function.

#46 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:24 AM

Just IMO,

1. It?s trivially easy to turn pause on spell cast off and on in game & works regardless of hardware unlike resolution.

2. The fact that the Sorcerer no longer has Dragons Breath, Comet, and IA coming out of his 9th level spells per day lets him cast a *lot* of timestops which is functionally nearly equivalent to TS + IA.

3. If you don?t like this HLA or it doesn?t fit your playstyle, there are plenty of other ones to choose from.

#47 -Ding0-

-Ding0-

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:21 PM

Right, but that effect is massively exaggerated if you've got an ability that is totally useless in one situation. It'd be equally weird if you had an ability that required the extra vision granted by high resolutions to function.

Gah. Wish I could edit posts. Anyway, um, the fact remains that I can use every ability in the game fairly effectively without auto-pause as it is, even if it's just using spacebar occasionally, whereas Aura Cleansing's not really gonna be very approachable. This doesn't sit well with me.

#48 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:57 PM

Yep, aura cleansing requires autopause to be used effectively, and even if the autopause is used one movement by the character wastes the ability. I'd argue for a more effective ability that is less than IA, but still useful. 1 round rather than 1 second duration for example. The argument that the Sorcerer can now chain large numbers of Azi-Dhazim's Horrid Wiltings off can be countered by noticing that ADHW does not bypass magic resistance like Dragon Breath does, which is something the sorcerer has lost. Also, with the removal of the Mage HLAs, the Sorcerer doesn't have any new HLAs that are a safe to use heavy damage spell. This is ok, but really the Aura Cleansing ability doesn't give much more than Improved Alacrity did, if the later was used with the Autopause feature.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#49 Jinnai

Jinnai

Bye Sanzo! You'll play with me again next time?

• 377 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 04:49 PM

WEll this is myself speaking but as espically if you aren't playing solo, autopause isn't bad. In fact I'd argue everyone should use it (atleast if you do more than solo, but even then) because you are only 1 person and your controlling multuple people...you can't expect to beat the cpu in speed.

The only other way would be a good AI.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 Baltrek

Baltrek

He will be mine, or be cleaved in twain!

• 135 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:11 PM

The only other way would be a good AI.

Or hellacious scripts!

The argument that the Sorcerer can now chain large numbers of Azi-Dhazim's Horrid Wiltings off can be countered by noticing that ADHW does not bypass magic resistance like Dragon Breath does, which is something the sorcerer has lost.

Of course, you could lead off with a couple G.M.'s or lower resistances, too.

#51 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:41 PM

True, but Dragon's Breath only requires the Greater Malison, which can be chained into the IA more easily/just as easily as it can be put into the Aura Cleansing.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#52 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:26 PM

As Kish says.
If you want to simulate a superhuman speed, you can't expect the player to provide it, you must use the needed tools.

I see your point, don't misunderstand me.
But think about spells like Spell Immunity, for example. You get the menu, but if you click somewhere else in the wrong moment, you lose the spells.
Yet, I assume the character wouldn't ever do something as "clicking somewhere else"....
Alas, we have to deal with the interface to interact with that world.

Again, I see your point, but frankly it doesn't seem a terrible issue to me.
Consider the following points:
-We needed to address balance
-No other effects are available (like something for the proposed 2 Spells/round limit)
-We had no more room for portrait icons

This ability solves these problems perfectly, it is a most fortunate idea, imho.
To remove it, I'd need a proper alternative, first.
If someone can provide it, I will listen.

EDIT: before finding out about the autopause, I used only the spacebar.
You can use it with Aura Cleansing instead of the autopause, and I'm sure you'll waste it in the same proportion you'd do with IA.
A second in game is long to pass, during combat. As long as you pause the game with the icon still active, you can cast a new spell (AC is only used with spells that reached 0 casting time)

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#53 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 11:33 PM

In fact, how long Aura Cleansing lasts ? Using Autopause, I was able to cast 5 Mordekainen's Swords, one Protection from Magical Weapons, 7 Lower Resistance, 7 Greater Malison, 7 Melf's Acid Arrow, 7 Flame Arrow, 7 Magic Missile. So, 41 spells cast. And I ended not because Aura Cleansing effects ended, but because I was running out of spells...

#54 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 11:37 PM

In fact, how long Aura Cleansing lasts ?

1 second.

Using Autopause

Try it by avoiding the autopause, it is a bit challanging that way. You can reach the same results with some skills however. ;)
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#55 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 11:45 PM

1 second.

41 (!!!) spells cast in a second ?

Try it by avoiding the autopause, it is a bit challanging that way. You can reach the same results with some skills however. 

I did and that's why I thought Aura Cleansing does not work. ;)

#56 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:06 AM

41 (!!!) spells cast in a second ?

Yep, see the description. That amount is a VERY extreme valua however - I'm sure you had the Robe of Vecna and/or the Amulet of Power AND a few points in Spellcasting Speed Increase. Remove one of these bonuses, and the result will be much more moderate.

I did and that's why I thought Aura Cleansing does not work

As I said, it requires some skills in fast-clicking :P .
Posted Image

#57 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:16 AM

Yep, see the description. That amount is a VERY extreme valua however - I'm sure you had the Robe of Vecna and/or the Amulet of Power AND a few points in Spellcasting Speed Increase.

Yeap, I had Robe of Vecna and 3 points in Spellcasting Speed Increase. With this, even the Ascension final was no match for me...

#58 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 02:59 AM

Indeed, it is a massive weapon in the hands of a sorcerer, it can easily turn a lost battle to victory, if used at the right moment.

Do you feel it unbalanced Feanor? While it is powerful, I'd like to add that you can reach a very similar state with a mage and using Improved Alacrity in combination with Robe of Vecna and the A.of Power - and that effect lasts 12 seconds... :unsure:
And if I remember correctly, you can use AC once/day only, right? And it has at least 3 prerequisites?
Posted Image

#59 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:09 AM

And if I remember correctly, you can use AC once/day only, right? And it has at least 3 prerequisites?

That's right. And it indeed requires 3 prerequisites, but to make AC very effective you must pick Spell Casting Speed Increase 3 times. But what troubled me was that there seems to be no limit about how many spells you can cast. I mean I cast 41 spells and I ended not because AC was over, but because I had no more spells to cast (and the game started to run a little bit slower too). By the way, if I had had more spells, when it would have stopped ? :huh:

#60 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:39 AM

Never, as long as you don't pass the 1 sec limit. As long as there are spells with 0 casting time, AC lasts forever.
Posted Image