*Idea* Gnoll Stronghold ( BG1 )

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 -McH-

-McH-

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:51 AM

I played recently BG1 ( Again ) and after i cleared the Gnoll Stronghold, I thought to myself that it will be nice if i could actually ENTER the Stronghold.. A Dungeon Mod thats allow entering this Stonghold could be a GREAT addition to this awesome game..

But there is only one problem.. There arent any damn doors in this stronghold, pretty wierd i tell you.. <_<

I doubt if anyone will agree to do such a mod, but hell, at least i tried :huh:

#2 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:06 AM

Have you given any thought to what might be inside the Gnoll stronghold that would be new, interesting, challenging and not too tough for a 3rd-5th level party to handle?
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#3 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:06 AM

I'm not a BG wildlife expert but I should imagine that for intents the 'Gnoll' stronghold is exactly that, a Gbol stronghold. You say its not a stronghold by judging it on a human scale.

And in regards to trying, I'm sure you can muster a little more energy then that...!

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#4 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:54 AM

They could have stuff in there that they encountered during their raids, but had no use for temselves. All the traders and travelling mages they must have eaten. :) levels could be like Durlag's tower and you have to come back for the last of them after UB.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#5 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:58 AM

How far from Amn is the Gnoll Stronghold? Not too far, is it?
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#6 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:06 AM

Have you given any thought to what might be inside the Gnoll stronghold that would be new, interesting, challenging and not too tough for a 3rd-5th level party to handle?

The Quest can be given in later stages of the game, for exmple in the City Of Baldurs Gate, Till than it can be locked, untill you get the Quest :lock:

#7 -McH-

-McH-

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:09 AM

They could have stuff in there that they encountered during their raids, but had no use for temselves. All the traders and travelling mages they must have eaten. :) levels could be like Durlag's tower and you have to come back for the last of them after UB.

Gnoll Stronghold
This ancient fort was taken over by gnolls who made it their stronghold. The fort is also inhabited by xwarts, which are gnoll?s lackeys. The gnolls use it mainly as a base for their operations and to held their captured prisoners, which they either torture to death or eat.

Its an Ancient Fort, Interesting things can be inside, besides, it HAS windows, Conclution: There is something inside!!

**The Guest above is me.. forgat to write the name ;)

#8 JPS

JPS

Knight of the Living Dead

• 205 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:09 AM

How far from Amn is the Gnoll Stronghold? Not too far, is it?

It's in the Cloudpeak mountains, isn't it? At least it's towards the bottom of the world map just like Beregost and the cloudpeak area with the dryad's tree.

Thinking of including it in Lands of Intrigue? (if not: why not include it in LoI? ;) )
"They have no thought of safety, subtlety, or strategy, leaving others with no hope of stopping their mass assault."

Visit the Gibberlings Three!

#9 JPS

JPS

Knight of the Living Dead

• 205 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:12 AM

And regarding entering the fort: perhaps the original entrance has been destroyed, and now you have to enter it through one of the caves? It would probably be less work than editing the map to include a door.
"They have no thought of safety, subtlety, or strategy, leaving others with no hope of stopping their mass assault."

Visit the Gibberlings Three!

#10 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:14 AM

This should be brought to Echon's attention. *crossing fingers*
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#11 -McH-

-McH-

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:14 AM

And regarding entering the fort: perhaps the original entrance has been destroyed, and now you have to enter it through one of the caves? It would probably be less work than editing the map to include a door.

I thought about it too.. there is a Useless cave in this map out of three.. in this Cave there is only some Xwartz

#12 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:26 AM

The Quest can be given in later stages of the game, for exmple in the City Of Baldurs Gate, Till than it can be locked, untill you get the Quest :lock:

How about a smaller challenge to start with? There are empty pits in stronghold. Can you write a scenario for a quest that connects a BG1 NPC (preferably Minsc or Dynaheir) to something in these pits? If you can, that's exactly the kind of thing we are looking for BG1NPC Phase II. :rolleyes:

#13 Rastor

Rastor

Yes, I really am a dragon. Yes, I am a jerk. Live with it.

• 2001 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:40 AM

Why does this thread remind me of EverQuest all of a sudden?

I like the idea, but agree that the stronghold should be too much for a level 5-7 party to handle well. If you opened it up in say, Chapter 6, it shouldn't be too bad.
Home of Kitanya, Improved Asylum, more...

Posted Image

#14 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 04:39 PM

Whatever is inside there is probably already there at the start of BG1 and, perhaps, controlling the gnolls. I'd prefer *some* explanation of why you can't get in at the same time you rescue Dynaheir and why you would even think of going back there later in the game.

Perhaps the main boss is a renegade Zhent, Red Wizard or Harper (depending on who is in the party) and you only get the tip from a contact in Chapter 5-6. The boss is a mage or cleric powerful enough to impress the gnolls into service and has a very interesting speciality of creating minor spell-casting Undead from the bodies of spell casters. That would explain why Dynaheir wasn't eaten at once. She was being saved for the boss' Undead crew (I guess he was away at the time or, if the party shilly-shallies too long after picking up Minsc, you don't find Dynaheir except as an Undead - a resurrectable Undead? - in chapter 5).

Of course, any of the three groups would want the boss' spell book to discover how he managed to create Undead that retained spell casting ability and they might also want the boss alive for interrogation, judgement or whatever. And Xzar, certainly, would want this wonderful spell for himself, rather than turning it back to his bosses. And whoever sent the party there might be planning a double-cross of some kind...
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#15 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 07:46 AM

Clearly it should be a dragon. Or a demi-lich. Possibly a tarrasque.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#16 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:11 AM

Only if the PC is named 'Bondari Reloads'.
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#17 GreyViper

GreyViper
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:28 AM

Or *gasp* pack of gibberlings and kobolds. :P If the Gnolls use that place as dump, then maybe deep in the catacombs Ghouls make their lair and come up to clean out the leftovers.
[Rant]Anyone up to mod where dragons are endangered species and you have to protect their lair and catch these nasty thieves & robbers. Later when you get friendly with the dragon you and your friends can make a cult that helps them out. :) After that your purpose is to make others to understand that dragons are nice :D and friendly B) and should be respected. Later the dragon friends will take over the world and everybody will be happy. ^_^ The name of the mod would be "Dragon Utopia". -_- [Rant End]
Democracy is three Dragons and a Cow voting on what's for dinner!

"A handsome young Cyborg named Ace,
Wooed women at every base,
But once ladies glanced at
His special enhancement
They vanished with nary a trace."

Barracks Graffiti
Sparta Command

#18 McH

McH
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:29 AM

Since its an Ancient Fort, I think that the Monsters that should be inside are All the Undead Forms, Skeletons, Zombies, Ghosts, And a Powerfull Lich.

A Wizard can give the Quest to retrieve a Tomb or Idol, at the same time he can give the Party a Ward or Item that will unlock the Enterance.

Also the party can investigate what happened in the Fort, why there are Undeads, what happened to the People who used to live there ( By talking to a Ghost or Two inside the Dungeon )

I agree that the Quest should be Given at chapter 5-6, when the parties are powerfull enough

Thats my opinion Anyway :D

#19 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 01:47 PM

If it's a lich, it should be a weak one, so as to keep it from slaughtering any party within the BGI XP cap

#20 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:02 PM

If it's a lich, it should be a weak one, so as to keep it from slaughtering any party within the BGI XP cap

Oh, you mean one of the puny liches that only has the spellcasting abilities of an 18th-level wizard, fear aura and a permanently paralysing touch?

-Echon