Photo

Orphan Characters

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#21 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 01:08 PM

Well, I always have a few ideas up my sleeve. Unfortunately, many of my ideas require mechanics that don't exist in BG (such as my favorite skill "fast talk".)

But some ideas:

The Barmaid (BG1 bard): She is not particularly looking for adventure, she just sort of fell into it. After discovering that her recently-ex boyfriend is a Shadow Thieves hitman, she finds it prudent to get some protection and skip out of town. She's picked up a wide variety of small skills here and there and is used to living on her wits. If you really want to play the peasant thing up, have her start off with a +2 frying pan (weapon class club). Her primary goals are:
1: get as far away from her ex-boyfriend as possible.
2: raise enough cash to set up a little inn of her own.

The Detective (NG rogue or dual-classed ranger-rogue): Terry Pratchett's Night Watch turned me on to the idea that within a fantasy setting, lawmen don't necessarily have to be the fighters standing on the corner in armor. A good cop could get the job done by hiding in shadows and stunning the burgulars with a pair of brass knuckles as they leave with an armful of loot. The Detective is not above a little bit of grift or bending the rules as long as they are not bent past the breaking point. He realizes that the best way out of a street fight alive is to fight dirty.

The Performer-mage (illusionist): The performer-mage grew up in a show-business family but found his talents were better turned to magical feats of illusion rather than singing. After another performer literally stole his thunder, this character has decided to make a name for himself crafting illusions for pay.

The Hidden Dragon (sorcerer CG*): You stumble upon a young teenage girl and her "father" being attacked by a gang of thugs. Her father dies, and recognizing an echo of your own past, you decide to take her in. However, she's a bit, strange even by the standards of most teenagers. She has a voracious appetite, seems to be immune to climatic changes, and has a love for shiny things. Guess what, she's a transformed 5yo silver dragon in your care. She's locked in human form for the time being (and will be stuck that way for another 20 years). Although she has a native bias towards good, she's very impressionable and can be morally corrupted.

Edited by kirkjobsluder, 10 July 2004 - 01:20 PM.

#22 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 02:12 PM

The Barmaid (BG1 bard): She is not particularly looking for adventure, she just sort of fell into it. After discovering that her recently-ex boyfriend is a Shadow Thieves hitman, she finds it prudent to get some protection and skip out of town. She's picked up a wide variety of small skills here and there and is used to living on her wits. If you really want to play the peasant thing up, have her start off with a +2 frying pan (weapon class club). Her primary goals are:
1: get as far away from her ex-boyfriend as possible.
2: raise enough cash to set up a little inn of her own.

Heh, reminds me of Tika. Really like that one though. My mod skills are so far below par they are not worth typing about. I would like to see that one happen myself. Guess if no one gives it a go, I can try and include her in my npc mod pack I am working on, course I have said a year or two at the soonest on it.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#23 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 11:04 PM

those are great kirk... what do you think of mine? I get very few comments on my people...
Crayons are the most chaotic bananas there never will be....

#24 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:01 AM

I like the alcoholic characher. The panty theif, dunno, reminds me a bit too much of Zappa "Jazz Discharge Party Hats" (a song about how pathetic bandmates and crew can get on the road).

#25 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:36 AM

ahhh yes... I had however got done watching the first 13 episodes of dragonball before making him so I was somewhat influenced by a certain shapeshifting pig

#26 Ellderon

Ellderon

Lightbringer

• 78 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 02:54 PM

-CHARACHTERS REMOVED (not orphan any more) -

Edited by Ellderon, 29 July 2004 - 02:13 PM.

- Tolkien fan
- Vision of Escaflowne fan
- Modeler and modder

#27 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 04:05 PM

That's a lot of good aligned character's for one mod

#28 Ellderon

Ellderon

Lightbringer

• 78 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 04:15 PM

I'm not finished..the rest are EVIIIIIIIIIIIIIL....
- Tolkien fan
- Vision of Escaflowne fan
- Modeler and modder

#29 Efreet

Efreet
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 06:31 AM

I was just going to start this topic when I realised it already exists.

Ok. here is one of mine:
I originally came up with the idea when I first played BGII with an evil mage. It turned out that I had very few people to put in the front line. Unless you consider Vicky as a fighting type, the evil parties only really have Korgan (and, perhaps, spell-buffed Heardalis.) This npc is meant to fill this gap.

His statistics are not set as numbers so they can be lowered if they feel overpowered but personally I have never met a half orc with STR below 18.

Grozhar
Half-Orc male warrior.
Lawful Evil

Backround story: Grozhar was born in Zenthil Keep, a son to a half-orc priest of Bane. He was a captain in Zhentarim army until recently, when one of the numerous intrigues within the Keep led to his father's death and him becoming a hunted fugitive. Now he seeks to dissapear in Amn by joining one of the numerous mercenary bands.

When Grozhar was born, everyone expected him to become a priest of Bane like his father. Unfortunately, Bane perished in battle against Torm when Grozhar was four years old. Still, his life is directed by principles of Bane's philosophy. He is a powerful warrior with a tendency to look down on almost everyone, highly intolerant of "weaklings" and "fools". His attitude has made him some enemies in the past and will certainly make some more in the future.

When Grozhar learns about the bhaalspawn and how Bhaal intended to use them to return to life, he is very interested. For him, this is a proof that Bane too could return one day. He will certainly want to accompany <charname> to see how the story ends.

Statistics:
As could be expected from a half-orc brought up in Zenthil Keep, Grozhar is very strong and tough. He is also quite agile.
Average inteligence makes him smart for a half-orc and his "education" has resulted in fairly high wisdom. His only real weak spot are social skills.(will probably cause some conflicts with party members)

Weapons:
Grozhar's fighting skills are focused towards the fighting style typical for priests of Bane: flail\morningstar and shield.

Special powers: none

Special items: "Hopecrusher": a +1 morningstar (immunity to stun, 10% for ignoring magical protections. Possibly upgradable later.). Grozhar's faith allows him to wield it, though it should only be usable for priests of Bane.

Quirks:
1 Grozhar takes care to never make empty threats. Bad news for Jansen. :P

2 Rarely uses peoples' names.

Romance: none. Grozhar is used to owning women, not sweettalking them. He will be impressed if a woman manages to beat him, but this is as far as it can get.

SOUNDSET:

Yes?
What needs to be done?
Any problem?
At once.
Music to my ears.
Hah. You are the boss.

Combat:
Let,s see what you'we got!
Bring it on!

Critical hit:
Die weakling!

Critical miss:
Dammit!

Seriously wounded:
I..won't...go..down..that...easily!

Flee:
I am not gonna die here!

Enemy invulnerable:
Tough guy, huh? No problem , I'l strike harder!

Night comment:
Darkness falls. Beasts of the night wait silently for their prey. They are in for a nasty surprise...

City comment:
Almost feels like home. If only the thugs weren't such wimps...

DIALOGUE EXAMPLE:

Grozhar: I have heard your story ,elf. It bothers me. Why didn't you escape from the slavers?

Airie: They feared that I would try, and were careful not to give me a chance. I was locked in the cage all the time.

Grozhar: It couldn't have been that hard. I have met a lot of slavers and most of them were little more than common thugs.

Airie: If you didn't notice, "I" can't bent metal bars with my bare hands!

Grozhar: Who sais about using brute strenght? You are a woman ,dammit!
You just needed to smile to the dumbest of them, show him a coulple of things and then gut him with his own knife when he opened the cage.

Airie: What? You think I could do something so ... horrible? And still, they were much stronger than me.

Grozhar: Then, you could get him drunk and steal the keys. Or at least use your body to buy yourself better treatment. Even my grandmother could do that much. She was human, a slave to an orc warlord and she ended as his most important wife.

Airie: Who do you think I am ? ...No. Even if I had no self respect, I couldn't stand Them touching me.

Grozhar: So instead, you sobbed in your cage and waited for a knight in shiny armour to save you, while your wings rotted. How pathetic.

Airie: You are disgusting! Leave my alone!

Grozhar: I was right the first time. You have got a heart of a slave. You would have spent the rest of your life as a pet of that mad gnome if not for...

Airie: I told you to leave me alone!

<charname>: Leave her alone Grozhar!

Grozhar: It seems your master has decided to defend his property. No problem with me.
Then she saw his eyes, red and mad as hell. And in that moment she knew that he could kill anyone, no matter how strong. Madness, true madness could put a fist through a plank.

#30 Efreet

Efreet
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 06:34 AM

J hope someone will actually put him in the game one day.
:turnip2:
Then she saw his eyes, red and mad as hell. And in that moment she knew that he could kill anyone, no matter how strong. Madness, true madness could put a fist through a plank.

#31 Efreet

Efreet
  • 211 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 01:49 AM

Could someone pin this topic?

#32 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 08:49 AM

Ghozar seems like a must have for any evil party

#33 Efreet

Efreet
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 05:07 AM

Thanks. :^^:

#34 Erestor

Erestor

Medium Pimpin'

• 44 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 01:44 AM

Hm... I quite like the idea of Grozhar myself.
The believer is happy. The doubter is wise.

#35 iX-ian

iX-ian
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:01 AM

The main feature of this NPC is that he can be seen (and talked) only by PC. The reason of this is his psyonic abilities (i.e. he just don't want to be seen by another people) and he allow PC to talk to him, because he wants to use PC for some of his goals.

Name: Arriande
Race: Human
Class: Psyonic - A mic of sorcerer and a thief with some special abilities (Like Teleportation - teleports the whole party on some known point at the map...)
Chaotic Evil (Perhaps, the alighment shouldn't be shown as CE - he don't want to reveal his personality)
STR 8
DEX 16
CON 8
WIS 20
INT 20
CHA 10

Wields some special weapon (I suppose it should be dagger, or even some short sword (Like Xan's Moonblade)

And I got some ideas for the custom class:
for using his special abilities he pays with his stats points (regenerating after sleep). For example: teleportation costs 2 points of wis, creating a psyonic blade - 1 int (and 1 int per hour of it's using) and so on...

Well, it's kinda basic, but I think it could be an interesting NPC...
What do you think about it?

#36 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 06:24 PM

Very unusual. I like it, I think, but I don't know how well it would work. Eventually his abilities would beomce underpowered as he runs out of stat points to use quicker and quicker. Perhaps if he had to take the stat point penalty is a save vs. spells is failed at a -4 penalty?

#37 Efreet

Efreet
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:49 AM

Hm... I quite like the idea of Grozhar myself.

Thanks. I even managed to find a portrait for Grozhar (I think it's LoTR) Now, the only thing he need is someone to adopt him.

Attached Images

• GrozharLjp.jpg

#38 Lady LeFay

Lady LeFay

The Resident Perverted Freak

• 320 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 07:51 AM

weeee... so this posting still exists!

Here's one for a bit of the Odd(Old) Couple/Grumpy old Men with Keldorn.

Ajonis McKenize -- "Commandore Silktongue" "The Tatician"
Race: Human
Sex: Male
Class: Fighter(7)/Thief(?)
Algn: Neutral Good or Lawful Neutral (Pirate Code arrrr)
Str: 14
Dex: 16
Con: 13
Int: 15
Wis: 13
Cha: 16
Weapon: +++ Scimitar ++ Single weapon style.
(I know it's an illegal dual-class, but so is Anomen)
-adjust as needed, though Cha & Int should be a bit high to match his personality.

Where found: first seen being frog-marched from the docks by the amn guard, dialouge stating he's going to jail. and you find him in jail within three days... he dies if the 3-day limit is broke.

Persona: He is a seasoned sea-dog, acting more like a Naval officer (such as Norrington) rather then a rapscallion like Jack Sparrow, Saemon Haverian or Blackbeard. refined, honorable and a bit world-weary, he is of the romantic sort -- and may try to woo Mazzy or Jaheria (PC alignment affect who he tries to romance). His favorite topics of discussion is politcs and philosophy. He is starting to feel his age, and the ticking of time.

History: This may sound weird, but stranger things has happened. A decorated officer of the Amnish Navy -- he slowly discovered (with horror) that many of his fellow officers were gluttons and fools who are not above taking bribes to allow shady dealings to go on in the Docks. the Events in Maztica was the breaking point -- and he commandered a ship with his loyal crew to become pirates -- only targeting smuggler ships and Amn naval vessels -- which earn him enemies from both sides of the law.

As he was docking in Amn -- Saemon, who had lost his ship due to a plan that fell apart, hijacked Ajonis, leaving the pirate stranded in Athkatla and thus getting captured by the soldiers.

as for the grumpy old men comment:
Keldorn and Ajonis will have a very strong love/hate relationship -- many things in common (honor, disgust with corruption), but enough differences to keep them from doing anything but debate/bicker.
"This Rod will be your doom!" -- Kilik.
"Do you know how much that turns me on, Ki?"
"Maxi! I'm trying to be serious here!" -- Maxi and Kilik

When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear. -- Mark Twain

To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity.
Oscar Wilde

And alien tears will fill for him Pity's long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn.

Dante Romancable Mod: 'Tis a courtly love of a different sort

#39 Lady LeFay

Lady LeFay

The Resident Perverted Freak

• 320 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:22 PM

Here's another:

Moreth (real name unknown)
Race: Drow/Moon Elf (mother was raped, but she killed the father before he could killed her, went into self-imposed exile).
Sex: Male
Class: Assassin
Alignment: CN

appearance: Silvery to smokey-gray skin, with either blonde or dark colored hair. His face express distrust and weariness. He has tribal dragon tattoos he had put on himself and scarring -- including a nicked ear and a sickle-shape scar on the nose.

persona: cynical, impersonal, extremely sarcastic. He does not want 'weak' characters in the party and will try to talk them into leaving -- he despises both elves and drow, will not kill elves on sight but will with any drow unless forced not to. what keeps him from being evil is that he does not kill 'weak characters', just try to push them out of the party.

Stat:
Str: 16
Dex: 17
Con: 14
Int: 10
Wis: 15
Cha: 10
+Single Weapon Style +Dagger/short sword +Dart

-1 to party rep if he joins.

His thief skills are focus on hide in shadow/move silent with the third largest stat being pick lock (he is an Assassin after all).

Romance: No. Friendship (or Alliance as he calls it) is possible.
Alignment change: No alignment change, but he will slowly show a bit of 'humanity' if given reason to.
Special ability: Globe of darkness starting at 12th levl, 1/day. No magic resistence.

history: mother raped by a drow, she being a warrior killed him before he could slit her throat. soon discovering she was pregnant she ran off in self-imposed exile, not quite able to kill the child when it was born, and actually grown to love him. However, Moreth instinctively knew he was a replusive thing to others and set off to make his way, for he can't rely on anyone but himself.

He will not be written as a sob story, but of a bitter self-preservation.
"This Rod will be your doom!" -- Kilik.
"Do you know how much that turns me on, Ki?"
"Maxi! I'm trying to be serious here!" -- Maxi and Kilik

When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear. -- Mark Twain

To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity.
Oscar Wilde

And alien tears will fill for him Pity's long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn.

Dante Romancable Mod: 'Tis a courtly love of a different sort

#40 -Tengu-

-Tengu-

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:01 AM

I think there was a comment on one of the forums here that elves ,even evil ones, don,t rape and cannot understand why humans do. Drow could be an exception but I think you could research on that.

Your hero could be very interesting if done properly.