Problems with a Dialog

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 -Reapper99-

-Reapper99-

Posted 04 May 2004 - 06:06 PM

Hi, i'm a bit new to modding (started 2 days ago :P ) and have worked my way through most resources out there i could find. Since i have a little programing knowledge i found most things quite selfexplanatory, so i started to make a mini-mod and run into a serious problem.

Here is my problem:

I want to make a Modron Cube in BGII similar to the one from PsT. I succeded in creating a Dialog for the item, the item itself and i also made it conversable (used the faq from Teambg). The dialog is initiated, but no text is displayed. If i click somewhere with the mouse, i can click the dialog responses (works also with the numbers on the keyboard). When using a response, the Multisays are working (also with no text, but the button on bottom right is there and it brings me to the next block) and i have the expected numbers of executed blocks at each response option.

I ran into some errors while making the item, maybe the error is there? I first used IEEP's item editor to make a new item (bam files from PsT are working after modification). I left the textfileds for the identified and unidentified states blank (i want to set them with WeiDU .tp2 files later. maybe that was the error??) and added no extension header for weapons (it should just be an item in the inventory). Upon saving i got the error "Couldn't save. Error writing dialog 1.3" (or something like this, can't remember now). So i used the Lilarcor itemfile as a new base, removed the weapon/item headers, modified the resources for the icons and saved it as my item.

I used a texteditor to make a *.d file and compiled it with WeiDU into a .dlg file and put it into my override folder als well as my item.

Then i edited the ITEMDIAL.2DA and added my item there.

In the game i clua'ed the item, identified it, and initiated a dialog, but with no text.
Every NPC is having the same problem.

I searched the forum (this one as well as TeamBG's) and found nothing that actually helped me.

As for a toplevel trigger in my *.d file, the beginning is the following:

BEGIN cubetalk

IF ~True()~ THEN BEGIN MC#00
SAY ~....~
IF ~~ THEN REPLAY ~abc~ EXIT
END

I used WeiDUGUI to compile the file, without any error.

Please can someone help me here, i'm beginning to go crazy.

P.S.: please don't mind my engrish, i'm german.

#2 Sillara

Sillara

He made me love him without looking at me.

• 537 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:41 PM

I am not sure about this; I am a beginning modder myself. But if it really says IF ~~ THEN REPLAY that might be the problem. If that was just a typo in transfering the block to the message board, then just ignore me. ;)

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!

#3 -Reapper99-

-Reapper99-

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:42 AM

I am not sure about this; I am a beginning modder myself.  But if it really says IF ~~ THEN REPLAY that might be the problem.  If that was just a typo in transfering the block to the message board, then just ignore me.  ;)

Sillara

:blink: Oops <_< .
That's what you get if you don't copy&paste the whole text. The last two lines were inserted manually after copy&paste. It's just a typo in the board. It's not there in the *.d file.

But thanks for a thought.

#4 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:10 AM

Did you use a .tp2 file to install your mod? If you didn't then you probably need to add the new dialog strings to your dialog.tlk file. I've never used WeiDU GUI so I can't tell you how to do it from there, but from the DOS prompt in your BG2 main directory type: weidu mymod\mydialog.d --tlkout dialog.tlk --out override where "mymod" is the directory for the mod's dialog files and "mydialog.d" is the .d file you want to compile.

#5 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:26 AM

WeiDU GUI basically allows you to compile and decompile D/DLG files into a directory. However, unless you set that directory to be the override then I think it will create a new dialog.tlk containing your new strings.

I only really use it to remove bugs from my D files. Once I know all my dialogue files compile then I switch to doing a proper install with a tp2, so I can do the rest of my testing.

Edited by Grim Squeaker, 05 May 2004 - 05:27 AM.

"You alone can make my song take flight..."

#6 -Reapper99-

-Reapper99-

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:43 AM

Thanks Kismet and Grim Squeaker. That was the error.

I had my *.d file in a sub-directory of BGII, since i wanted to make a proper WeiDU package out of it, but only after testing. And instead of updating the dialog.tlk in my BGII folder WeiDUGUI created a new 8 MB large dialog.tlk in the subfolder, which i didn't notice :angry: .

Thanks again, now i'm doing the testing with a proper .tp2 file and it's working :wub: :wub: .