Mage's age

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Ziggy

Ziggy

Messiah for the animals.

• 313 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:50 PM

This may be a bit off topic but, in bg your supposed to be the child of an evil god, sdo if your human shouldnt that make u a teifling?
Power corupts, Absolute power corupts absolutly.

#22 raptor

raptor
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 03:00 PM

Elminster's father was a prince of an empire, wich is now in ruins some... 1800 years past iirc. hes father was killed by one of Elminsters many uncles war'ring eachother over who to take over the kingdom or some such nonsence, Elminsters father was more concerned about having a nice town to live in that war'ring it seemed.

heh, He is definitivelly not undead. and yes he "boinked" or what you prefer to cal it with the previous (or current at that time, aka before time of troubles) Mystra. He was made a choosen one, and he have been granted a long life by Mystra, Just how is as far as i can recal unknown. iirc he was somehow "frozen" or put in "stasis" for some time though, before the "temptation of Elminster" book. but i have no clue how long that was.

He is a human, from a country long gonne, and been made a choosen (after alot of weird stuff...) and got extended life. i belive hes "oficial" age is 1800+ years.

#23 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:29 PM

He is a human, from a country long gonne, and been made a choosen (after alot of weird stuff...) and got extended life. i belive hes "oficial" age is 1800+ years.

Are you sure about his age ? I read in a FR Timeline on the web that he was born in the third century DR.

#24 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 04:21 PM

This may be  a bit off topic but, in bg your supposed to be the child of an evil god, sdo if your human shouldnt that make u a teifling?

A tiefling is part (less than half) fiend, and part (more than half) Prime. Nothing to do with gods or with humans.

Elminster is Mystra's Chosen, a mortal invested with some of her power, not her son. Like all the Chosen of Mystra, he doesn't age.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#25 Ziggy

Ziggy

Messiah for the animals.

• 313 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 09:00 AM

OK, it ws just that i was looking at the definitions of the races on a iwd2 website and it said that teifling was human decendant of an evil god.
Power corupts, Absolute power corupts absolutly.

#26 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 11:21 AM

The website is wrong.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#27 Vedran

Vedran
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:33 AM

Elminster was / is the last prince of Athalantar. But wasn't there a prophecy that told the kingdom wouldn't fall while a person of royal blood still lives? ow could it be in ruins?

This stasis you mention, raptor, lasted no more than a century and a half.

#28 Daggerless

Daggerless

Etron

• 63 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:36 AM

Maybe hes some sort of good lich, an undead wizard that hasnt gone crazy.

According to Ed Greenwood, Elminster and the other Chosen are NOT sane.

And here are the special powers that the Chosen of Mystra get (2e):

1. Effective constitution 25 (system shock rolls + regeneration)
2. Immunity to disease & afflictions (as per elixir of health)
3. Death from natural causes impossible
4. Immunity to disintegration magic
5. +5 saving throws vs. spells
6. +3 save vs. dragon breath
7. Detect magic at will with a range of 90 ft, or w/n their line-of-sight (whichever is greater)
8. Hear own names spoken anywhere on Toril (& next 9 words spoken by that person)
9. Lose all need for sleep
10. Function without food & water for up to seven days at a time (as per potion of vitality)
11. Have one of the following effects active at any given time as per the item: ring of warmth, ring of mind shielding, potion of water breathing, protection from gas scroll
12. Immune to one specific spell of each level (own chioice)
13. One bonus spell at each level the Chosen can cast that can be cast by act of will alone and re-appears in the Chosen's memory 24 hours later
14. Unleash the silver fire (beam 5ft wide, up to 70ft long; pierces *all* barriers; 4d12 dmg, no save)
15. Cloud of silver fire (cone 5ft wide at base, up to 70ft long, up to 70ft wide at end) - banishes dead magic areas.
16. Banish all external magical or psionic compulsions with silver fire.
17. Teleport w/t error 1/day to last location where they used silver fire.

Note: some of the Chosen have additional personal granted powers from Mystra that vary with each individual and reference is made that the Chosen may well have additional powers that even they are unaware of (p. 12, Seven Sisters)

Taken from: Candlekeep.com FAQ

#29 Arachnos

Arachnos
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 06:24 AM

Elminster was born in 212 DR, which makes him 1161 years old as of the current realms year (1373 DR)

#30 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:35 AM

I just wonder how long the elven Chosen will live... longer than dragons? Nay, I don't think so but they will long enough to become quite powerful... and quite insane (And I never thought that they were sane to begin with!).

Edited by Archmage Silver, 08 September 2004 - 08:36 AM.

#31 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 10:54 AM

Wasn't original boiking Helm anyway? :rolleyes: :lol:
Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#32 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 11:10 AM

Somehow I don't see that as a very important piece of Realmslore.

#33 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 02:36 PM

Considering Helm was the one who killed Mystra, it actually is quite important...

#34 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:38 PM

Nah, that happens all the time with mortals. And with Gods? Rarely, but its not so interesting that it should be considered interesting.

#35 Arachnos

Arachnos
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:03 AM

The chosen are immortal, so an elven chosen would be immortal too. However, I'm sure that there has been an elven chosen who went absolutely bonkers due to the power of the silver fire (cant remember her name, sorry). Perhaps, there's some inherent weakness in elven physiology that makes them less suitable than humans at being chosen.

It would help to explain why there are lots of human chosen, and only a couple of elven chosen.?

#36 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:09 AM

May be so. Old El is crazy anyway. Elves should be able to take magical powers and old age better than humans. Perhaps its a individual thing.

#37 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:14 AM

Thing thing is, Elves normally don't want to live forever - the vast majority of Elves who survive to old age leave for Arvanaith (the elven aftelife) before the end up for their natural lifespan, through a complex ritual. Domi could probably explain it better than I :).