NPC maker help

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 -ranel-

-ranel-

Posted 28 May 2004 - 08:59 PM

I'd like to make a couple NPCS but do'nt know how and I'm a little uncertain of my ideas so if you guys and ladies can help by giving opinions and assistance please do so.

Heres one I kinda like. He's a Half Demon from another plane avalible after the quest with Hear' Daleis(SP?). No real history has been established but he's a Chaotic neutral or Lawful Evil male Bardic Warrior (custom class) that could be either a fighter with songs as special abilities or bard that can acheive Grand mastery with Katanas and Scimitars input would be apreciated. I would like to create a custom apperence if possible. his demonic heritage gives him a high Str and Dex and decent Con and Int his Cha comes from his human side but because he is young he has a low wis. Although his stats would be about Str 19 Con 16 Dex 20 Int 17 Wis 10 Cha 17. Any input would be nice and mabe put in a little History for a young half-demon.

if you were wondering i got this watching inuasha

#2 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 05:25 AM

Well, Demons are Chaotic so I imagine a half - demon would tend towards Chaos too. :) Plus, in 2E bards cannot be Lawful Evil. A custom kit is possible, yeah.

I think you should tone the stats down, a lot of people will have problems with ones those high.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#3 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:27 AM

Yeah those stats are just a tad on the Uber Killing machine side.

#4 -ranel-

-ranel-

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:33 AM

i was thinking last night more like Str 18/00 con 16 Dex18 Int17 Wis7 Cha10

make less of a leader, i was also thinking of how he meets your group and when you complete the planar mission with Hear' he atacks you and after a certain point he stops and compliments your fighting and asks if he could join you and fight by your side... just a thought. also i had a thought for a freind he could have and this is what i got Human sorcorer(SP?) Chaotic nuetral with Str13 con 10 dex 10 Int 19 wis 16 Cha 10. any thoughts?

#5 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 08:18 PM

The sorcerer is reasonable. but the half-demon still has prety Uber stats.

#6 Rastor

Rastor

Yes, I really am a dragon. Yes, I am a jerk. Live with it.

• 2001 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 08:07 AM

The demon's new stats total 86, which is lower than some of the Bioware NPCs. I agree that those stats are pretty incredible for a warrior, but not game-unbalancing.

The sorcerer is reasonable, most of my PC sorcerers have better stats than that.
Home of Kitanya, Improved Asylum, more...

Posted Image

#7 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 09:41 AM

His stats do kinda make him look like a munchkin who doesn't want to be INT drained...
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

#8 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 30 May 2004 - 09:44 AM

I am of the opinion that PC should have higher stats than joinable NPCs to highlight his/her exceptional background. I really did not like that BG2 NPCs were all so overpowred. Indeed, one did not know what to do with the gauntlets of dexterity... :lol:

#9 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 30 May 2004 - 10:33 AM

Keldron and Korgan. Not that many parties don't use either.

And overpowered, compared to the PC? Don't make me laugh. Stat wise, the PC isn't exceptional, until BG2...

Anything that makes it seem like the world doesn't revolve around the PC is a good thing.

#10 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 30 May 2004 - 10:55 AM

Keldron and Korgan. Not that many parties don't use either.

And overpowered, compared to the PC? Don't make me laugh. Stat wise, the PC isn't exceptional, until BG2...

Anything that makes it seem like the world doesn't revolve around the PC is a good thing.

Never use either after doing their respective quests... :lol:

I do think that BG2 NPCs have too high stats overall, they even had to change the returning BG1 NPCs stats to fit them in. I am not sure that upping the stats of everyone around the PC makes the world rotate less around him/her. Lol, if anything, it makes it even more artificial that PC *accidently* bumps in the most powerful men and women of Faerun... Yes, I suffer too from giving 18's or 19's to my PC in at least one category, but I am trying to get away from this dreadful habit.

#11 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 30 May 2004 - 01:08 PM

Maybe it doesn't, but I really don't see how making the PC "exceptional" in terms of raw stats will help the matter. All it will accomplish is creating another Fallout 2 - in which all 5-8 NPC's manage to have an approx 50-50 kill split with a not really power-gamed main char...

Also - "Overpowered" only means something when compared to - 1) The challenges facing the character or 2) Other characters.

You meant to say "powerful". But that sounds less bad...

#12 Warrior of Valor

Warrior of Valor
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:17 AM

Hi guys, thanks for all your help this is cool. I was reading your replies and had an idea, i could make it so he despises most of the existing NPCs. The only ones he likes would be Haer', Vicona, Imoen(more tolerates because he has to), and Edwin.
Any suggestions?

#13 Warrior of Valor

Warrior of Valor
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:13 PM

Well they should share alot of things then he's into girls and hates all.

Thanks for the help.

#14 Warrior of Valor

Warrior of Valor
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:37 PM

Alright this part is realy pissing me off. I can't find a good picture that fits what i had in mind for him. Can someone help?
Anyone got name suggestions? One I like is Ha'Keim, don't know why but I think it sounds cool.
Romance?
I was thinking his own personal swords too.

Sinner, Katana+5
Cast fireball when strikes
immune to fire

Ferocity(SP?), Scimitar+4
Causes bleeding
Sucks health

Any comments.

#15 Rastor

Rastor

• 2001 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:55 PM

Demon NPC portrait? How's this one?

*looks at the suggested weapons*

Can you say "Massively overpowered?"

Attached Images

• MBlack2L.jpg

Posted Image

#16 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 03:45 AM

Valor... does your warrior types always have an int and wis of 3 in the bg games
Crayons are the most chaotic bananas there never will be....

#17 Warrior of Valor

Warrior of Valor
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 09:47 AM

First guy, hey he's a rouge, rouges can't wear helms.

How are they overpowered? Look at Staff of the Magi, Celestial Fury, Stiletto of Demarchess +2, Crom Faeyr +4, Halberd +4: Wave, Scimitar +5: Defender, Scimitar +3: Frostband, Jhor the Bleeder +2, The Equalizer, Vorpal Blade, ect.

Second guy, no.

#18 Rastor

Rastor

• 2001 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:31 AM

No NPC comes with a +5 and a +4 weapon. Not even Sarevok.

Posted Image

#19 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 04 June 2004 - 12:05 PM

First guy, hey he's a rouge, rouges

Rogue. Fricking- R-O-G-U-E. Not red make-up - thief.

This is even stupider then usual (the usual being on the D&D boards, talking about 3e PnP) - BG is 2e, and we're talking THIEVE'S, not Rogues.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111one!!!!!1

*Pant, pant*

American 12 year olds who can't be bothered to use spellcheck are especially annoying today.

(The whole thread is annoying, but "rouge" was my breaking point)

:twitch:

#20 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 04 June 2004 - 12:18 PM

*brings in a nice cup of mulled wine* Here is for Rogues in all editions...