Paladins in RTW

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 -chevalier des Trois-Tours-

-chevalier des Trois-Tours-

Posted 11 November 2002 - 12:30 PM

Greetings and salutations

There are two questions I would most like to ask:

1) What about Iltha, Garren's daughter... Is she to occur in the mod?

2) Is the paladin PC to be knight or in some way acknowledged as a knight? I mean the 'sir ' stuff and such...

How wonderful it would be to become a knight commander or something equivalent to guildsmaster after late Mae'Var, owner of Lavok's Sphere or lord of Nalia's castle... :)

#2 Dyara

Dyara
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 01:00 PM

Garren has a son (in my games) ;).

#3 Althernai

Althernai
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 01:10 PM

Garren has a son (in my games) ;).

If the PC is male, Garren has a daughter; if the PC is female, he has a son.

#4 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 01:40 PM

2) Is the paladin PC to be knight or in some way acknowledged as a knight? I mean the 'sir ' stuff and such...

Yes, but only if you complete the quest in the best possible way. The paladin will be invited to join the Order in a ceremony and receive his/her own cup. The title part might be tricky with so many people who normally play paladins already naming their character "Sir xxxxx". It would look goofy to suddenly be called "Sir Sir xxxx":D Still working that out if its possible to detect the name in some way.

Cuv

#5 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 11 November 2002 - 02:12 PM

Three quick responses:

Dyara: Most sincere apologies. I knew, but it's really hard to find even a male paladin, and I have never seen any female paladin (exc. NWN). If not only your PC is a female, my email is chevalier@o2.pl ;)

Althernai: You really love saying obvious things, don't you?

Cuv: Thanks a lot. Quite a nice of you, the developers. I know what you are talking about since I was working on a specific paladin kit related to an order. He/she received different titles as advanced in levels (Knight Brother, Knight Commander, Commander of House, Commander of Province...) a knight belt, commissions etc, fully healing lay on hands unable to target self. Only it didn't work with ToB. The stuff with adding 'sir' was difficult and I didn't make it.

The other thing is that it sounds artificial and funny when called so by a party member ;) 'Oh, my dear sir , will you stay with me this night' ;) Oh, and I almost forgot: will this change in status affect the way people talk to you? It was funny when Isaea Roenall threatened to have my paladin PC (sort of a knight after 4 lev in ADND) whipped (once even when I was the holder of Holy Avenger, the most worthy paladin the Order could find to bear it - they did say so :) )...

Anyway, I am a paladin fanatic and sort of an expert on the subject of this particular class not only in adnd but in other systems and legends as well as historical background of knight- and paladinhood... I would be very glad to help, and in fact thankful for any opportunity to do so. //chevalier@o2.pl

#6 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 02:27 PM

Just to add: I can think of only two people in ToB that might bother to acknowlege your character's title or status:

1.Commander in the Oasis
2.Balthazar

The rest wouldnt care... you are just Bhaalspawn to them. Balthazar would be easy to add a little conversation. Which leaves us with the commander in the Oasis area. It was suggested early on that your status with this quest might prevent hostility there. Quitch is against that, and I am too to a certain extent as it means remaking that entire encounter. Perhaps it can be done later with a patch... or someone else can add to RTW by doing this.

Chevaleir: I will keep you in mind for help. We havent gotten to the Order reward portion of the quest much yet... just a skeleton for now as we are working on the main quest.

Cuv

#7 Althernai

Althernai
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 02:45 PM

Althernai: You really love saying obvious things, don't you?

Yes. That, and I misinterpreted the smilie. After having posted, I realized she probably knows that. Sorry.

#8 -chevalier des Trois-Tours-

Posted 11 November 2002 - 03:59 PM

Althernai: Never mind. For me it was also a bad day... :)

Cuv: 1) I noticed some the variable or something applied to the PC. Rarely, but sometimes. Maybe the snobs from Athcatla could also use this form or 'sir ' or 'sir knight' instead of 'peasant' etc as under adnd rules 4th lev. gets a 'special' horse, 9th almost automatically becomes a lord. In addition to the level, you are the most worthy to bear the Holy Avenger (said sir Ryan), you do bear it ;), you have 20 rep., several villages/cities owe their gratitude to you etc, so put it togeher, it's not quite easy to find a person of even equal rank (in Athcatla less than 10, about 5 elves, and not much more than ten persons elsewhere even if we include Drizz't and two kings travelling with him ;) or some possible party members). In fact you're of sometimes far higher rank than the snobs mentioned above. Anyway, how would you address a 17 level paladin in paper adnd? And one on 32-36 level? Under any sane DM... :D

Bye for today...

#9 Dyara

Dyara
  • 262 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 05:59 AM

Just to solve this small riddle: Yes, I did know that the gender of Garrenīs child depends on the gender of the PC since I was very surprised playing a male paladin and becoming romanced by Garrenīs daughter :).

And yes, the ;) smiley looks a little bit strange :D.

@chevalier des Trois-Tours: No need to apologize :).

#10 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 12 November 2002 - 07:59 AM

Dyara: romance you say? Personally I would have nothing against becoming Garren's beloved son-in-law... Ehrh, I mean my paladin PC of course, heh... B)

And guess what I'm planning to do now? You won't... OK, I'm about to start over the whole saga. I just want that 21 charisma :D And 20 intelligence... I know he already has 22 wisdom, but... ;)

And don't laugh, I always play SUCH paladins ;)

#11 -chevalier des Trois-Tours-

Posted 12 November 2002 - 08:02 AM

Just to say the last entry was by me and no other person. Just in case.

#12 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 05:37 PM

Just to point out Chevalier: You wont be going back to Athkatla (sp?)... this is a ToB quest. The only places you will see from SoA are the main Windspear outdoors and inside the Order headquarters.... leaving through the door from the headquarters brings up the ToB map again as that is the end of the RTW quest.

Cuv

#13 -chevalier des Trois-Tours-

Posted 13 November 2002 - 08:00 AM

Cuv: Yes, I have noticed that. I only thought of any mods-to-be. Anyway, it's their problem as some of them will probably be changing all the dialog.tlk, so you are perfectly right. I have a Roman law exam tomorrow morning, so that's it for today. I await your call :)

#14 Caswallon

Caswallon

Telvanni Archmagister

• 284 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 02:36 PM

Roman law? That sounds interesting.:)
What do you study - law or things Roman?

Caswallon, hopefully hunting for colleagues and very off-topic ;)

#15 -chevalier des Trois-Tours-

Posted 13 November 2002 - 04:02 PM

Finally. It said I wasn't permitted to reply etc. either as a guest or logged in with my username... I had to delete the cookie.

Anyway, I study law now, but in Lycee I attended a so called 'classical' class, i.e. Latin, Greek, ancient civilisation etc. Besides, I'm a real maniac. This also extends to mediaeval ages. Maybe this is the reason behind my playing paladins with intelligence higher then dexterity or constitution :D
and of course supernatural wisdom of 21 + the one point after the Hell in SoA...

Aha, Caswallon: I'm supposed to have a Rhomaia (Byz.) ancestor.

Now, ladies and gentleman of the forum, if you'll excuse me. I must do something about that wretched 'permission'.

#16 Raistlin

Raistlin
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 06:36 AM

I'm considering doing the whole saga again too...

I started a new party from SoA for the RtW Mod, but I'm already at the enclaves and I have a feeling its gonna be a while before its released. Its a good (aligned) party too, which I'm not used to...

Seeing Sarevok 'good' is making me kinda sick...(well, not really, its a game)

While I highly doubt I'll be starting the saga over with a Paladin, I do plan to do it. Only problem I have is I like dual-weilding, but I can't in BG1. Despite the fact that they have the same name, the two games have a different feel to them. I've done it before and it just feels like I'm starting a new character from the beginning of SoA anyway, so why bother?

I'll answer my own question: the story of course ;-)

Either way, I'm considering doing it with an Evil Cleric. Never played a cleric before, how's the stronghold for Talos?

#17 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 07:05 AM

At this point there is no real need for a high weapons wielding party. It is mostly dialogue feedback.
Like Quitch said, Cuv redisigned the whole dungeon and the monster are re-evaluated.

I suggest that you import your party to ToB and move to the North Forrest.

#18 -chevalier des Trois-Tours-

Posted 14 November 2002 - 11:58 AM

In fact in BG I've only played paladins as PCs so far. Once only a f/m for a time. Anyway, you control all the team in the same way, so you still practice playing other classes. The Talonite stronghold as far as I remember from studying dialog.tlk :D involves some three little tasks and being allowed to rest at that temple. Maybe you create a cleric/mage? Well, that would be very useful, since you get 2 wisdom books (3 if you're THAT evil) and only one to improve your intelligence. Another one point to each in Watcher's Keep and you have 20 INT, 21 (22) WIS. Awesome, isn't it? Then 1 STRE in BG1, 2 in Hell for being evil, 1 in Watcher's Keep, 1 for using Holy Symbol (highlevel priests get one) 18+5=23 ;) And f.e. Crom Fayr or the mace which kills undead instantly if they fail the throw... Something like male, evil and times more powerful Aerie ;) Anyway, it's your decision :) Or maybe you prefer getting a human berserker and dualing to cleric to get the 2 weapon slots etc. Ah, and about that dual wielding... When importing to SoA you always have to reassign proficiency slots, so that's not a big problem.

But if you just want to see RTW, create a paladin in ToB and summon some NPC fiends you like. Haha, to better know the enemy ;) You'll need it if my paladin PC falls upon you some rainy day ;)

#19 Raistlin

Raistlin
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 03:39 PM

It seems I'm not meant to play good aligned parties...somehow, both of my save games got corrupted when my computer froze. I would have to start ToB from the beginning again (no thanks)

Ah well...Anomen was annoying me anyway (my PC was a female so I romanced him just to mess with him..it made it all worthwhile). Anomen's pretty powerful though. I didn't give him enough credit at first. I didn't know Clerics could case so many spells and have 5 proficiency slots (this being fighter related I'm sure).

Forgive me for saying that perhaps you spend a little too much time with the BG series Chevalier?

I know about re-assigning proficiencies when starting SoA, but I would have wanted to duel-weild in BG1 as well...mostly for role-playing purposes.

I'm still not sure whether or not I like the idea of a Mage/Cleric. A few too many spells for my liking. I'd rather be fully adept with one or the other. I'm not too worried about stats so that would never be a factor, but where are the 3 Wisdom books in BG1? I can't remember...its been a while.

How do proficiencies work if I create a fighter, then dual-class him to a cleric? Or for a multi-classed fighter/cleric? Anomen had me questioning it. I'm pretty sure its Cleric ethos weapons, but what about level of specialization. I don't think I can but an evil Cleric dual weilding long swords would be perfect. Another question, when you dual class you don't get to chose a kit, so how the hell did Anomen end up with a symbol of Lathander?

I'm not too concerned about the difficulty of RtW. There's always a way to win ;-)

#20 Kiki

Kiki

Philosopher Queen in training

• 499 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 07:58 PM

How do proficiencies work if I create a fighter, then dual-class him to a cleric? ... I'm pretty sure its Cleric ethos weapons, but what about level of specialization.

Fighter/cleric dual-classes can get grandmastery in weapons as long as they're cleric-ethos ones.

Another question, when you dual class you don't get to chose a kit, so how the hell did Anomen end up with a symbol of Lathander?

Because Bioware was lazy and gave symbols based on alignments rather than the god that the NPC was supposed to worship (e.g., Viconia, gets a symbol of Talos instead of Shar). Ask jcompton about his can-of-Pringles theory. :)
Placetne, magistra?