Time of Troubles

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:33 PM

Isn't Bane back due to his demon son bringing him back (the son has a very long name and starts with a 'y') and can anyone give me more info on Kelemvor before and after godhood if possible (I will prolly have to order the FR books online <_< because I can't find them in shops).
Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#22 MERLANCE

MERLANCE
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 05:42 PM

Isn't Bane back due to his demon son bringing him back (the son has a very long name and starts with a 'y')

Yes, Bane is back. His son, Iyachtu Xvim, was really just a host for his powers, now Bane is back and badder than ever.

#23 Consis

Consis

Fantasy Movie Artist

• 36 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 05:53 PM

Mwahaha....
^_^ I live for spoilers. I enjoyed reading the Time of Troubles spoilers. Are the any other significant spoilers? I crave a good plot you know ^_^

#24 Cyric

Cyric

Mystery is a Lifestyle

• 169 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:36 PM

Isn't Bane back due to his demon son bringing him back (the son has a very long name and starts with a 'y') and can anyone give me more info on Kelemvor before and after godhood if possible (I will prolly have to order the FR books online  <_<  because I can't find them in shops).

You can download the books from ****** (if you don't care about copyright and don't mind reading on a computer)

EDIT: We do care about copyright. Please do not post these things. - Andyr

Short to Kelemvor:
-human mercenary cursed to take payment for every unselfish deed or else he would turn to a berseker panther
-Midnight's lover
-tricked Bane to cure him
-became a wannabe paladin/mr. I do it because I'm good yeah :wacko:
-killed by Cyric and his soul is traped inside the sword Godsbane :D
-some years later he leads a revolt in The City of Dead and is "elected" to the new god of death
-after some troubles he realised his duties as god, became True Neutral and has lost Midnight (thanks to the one and only Prince of Lies B) )

Edited by Andyr, 17 June 2004 - 04:50 AM.

I am the whispers in your head
Letting you know you're the next one dead
I am the blade that cuts your skin
That forgives yourself for all your sin
I am the guilt that gnaws your soul
Corrodes the heart to a gaping hole
The hammers pounding all around
So you beat the walls to rid the sound
I am your memories, distorted and loud
That make you scream and shreik aloud
Yes, I make you crazy, it's all my fault
That we're here alone in this cushoined vault

#25 Sillara

Sillara

He made me love him without looking at me.

• 537 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:49 PM

How did he do that? The Prince of Lies, I mean? Surely Midnight/Mystra would be able to see through him?

SofT
Check out my RPG forum!

#26 Cyric

Cyric

Mystery is a Lifestyle

• 169 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:28 AM

How did he do that?  The Prince of Lies, I mean?  Surely Midnight/Mystra would be able to see through him?

SofT

Cyric has driven to madness Adon and Kelemvor refused to tell Mystra how he did it because he realised a mistake they have done as God of Death and Godess of Magic - they favored good over evil. Mystra however didn't agree with their neutral place in Balance and so they divorced.

from The Trial of Cyric the Mad (my favorie forgotten realms book):

"This is all that remains of the love between Mystra and Kelemvor, and it belongs to me now." Cyric began to round the Circle, swirling the cup beneath each god's chin. "It was my doing that turned Adon against Mystra, and it was Adon's Faithlessness that pitted Mystra and Kelemvor against each other, and it was that which destroyed their love. Not much remains, but here it is. I own it."
The One continued his circuit. When Mystra and Kelemvor looked into the cup, they betrayed no emotion, nor did they glance at each other or give any other hint of the feelings they had once shared for each other.
Cyric smiled a little as he left them, then finished his round and stopped before Tyr. He raised the cup high, then turned to face the rest of the Circle.
"If I can destroy the love of gods, then I can certainly fill the lives of Faerun's mortals with strife and discord."
The One raised the chalice to his lips and tipped back his head, for the tears of brokenhearted lovers have always been his favorite libation.

#27 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:04 AM

after some troubles he realised his duties as god, became True Neutral and has lost Midnight (thanks to the one and only Prince of Lies  )

I thought he was Lawful Neutral but favoured good over evil (like Helm)

Mystra however didn't agree with their neutral place in Balance and so they divorced

*sob* :(

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#28 Cyric

Cyric

Mystery is a Lifestyle

• 169 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:42 AM

I thought he was Lawful Neutral but favoured good over evil (like Helm)

He still favours good but not so extreme as he did before.

from book:

"Wait!" Cyric interrupted. "There is more-or have you not noticed how the noblest warriors are losing all fear of death, while the backstabbers and cowards grow more cautious than ever?"
Again, Tempus nodded, but this time he said nothing and waited for Cyric to continue.
"We all know whose doing this is." This time, the One pointed at Kelemvor. "The Usurper rewards noble men so favorably that they cannot wait to die. They sacrifice themselves in the most ridiculous causes-while the more cunning are so terrified of his punishments they hardly dare to fight. Soon enough, there will be no war at all on Faerun! All the brave men will be dead in their paradises, and the cowards will not step across their own thresholds for fear of being killed by a falling pot."

#29 Consis

Consis

Fantasy Movie Artist

• 36 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:05 AM

:huh: Hey Cyric :huh:

Do you, by any chance, have any spoilers for my favorite God Helm? He's my favorite. I'm sick-in-love with knights and all of that sort of thing.

I think if King Arthur had a God leading him, it would have been Helm. What do you think?

I heard Helm was allowed to keep his God-hood during the Time of Troubles so that he could protect something. I can't remember if it was a door to the outer realms or the tablets though. Have any cool spoiler quotes for him?

#30 Cyric

Cyric

Mystery is a Lifestyle

• 169 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:35 AM

Helm was spared to protect the Celestial Stairway and to prevent other gods from reaching the planes.

I think he is the only FR knight-god worth to be worshiped. Tyr is too...just and Torm too...dutyfull :)

snatch from Avatar: Shadowdale
------------------
Halfway up the stairs, the clouds parted and the God of Guardians materialized before Mystra.
"Well met, Lord Helm," Mystra said cordially.
Helm simply watched Mystra. "Go back, goddess. This way is not for you."
"I would return to my home," Mystra said, angered by the guardian.
"Do you bring the Tablets of Fate?"
Mystra smiled. "I bring word of the tablets. I know who stole them, and why."
"That is not enough. You must turn back. The Planes are no longer ours."
Mystra seemed confused. "But Lord Ao would wish to have this information."
Helm was unmoving. "Give it to me, and I will pass it along."
"I must deliver this information personally."
"I cannot allow that," Helm said. "Turn back before it is too late."
Mystra continued to climb the Celestial Stairway, the primal forces of magic gathering tightly around Faerun as she willed them to be ready for her call.
"I have no desire to harm you, good Helm. Stand away."
"It is my duty to stop you," Helm said. "I was lax in my duties once. Never again."
Helm descended further.
"Stand away," Mystra said, her voice as loud as a thunderclap.
Helm stood his ground. "Do not force me to harm you, Mystra. I am still a god. You are not."
Mystra froze. "Not a god, you say? I will prove you wrong!"
Helm lowered his eyes, then looked back to her. "So be it."
---------------

#31 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:42 AM

Helm was spared to protect the Celestial Stairway and to prevent other gods from reaching the planes.

I think he is the only FR knight-god worth to be worshiped. Tyr is too...just and Torm too...dutyfull :)

snatch from Avatar: Shadowdale
------------------
Halfway up the stairs, the clouds parted and the God of Guardians materialized before Mystra.
"Well met, Lord Helm," Mystra said cordially.
Helm simply watched Mystra. "Go back, goddess. This way is not for you."
"I would return to my home," Mystra said, angered by the guardian.
"Do you bring the Tablets of Fate?"
Mystra smiled. "I bring word of the tablets. I know who stole them, and why."
"That is not enough. You must turn back. The Planes are no longer ours."
Mystra seemed confused. "But Lord Ao would wish to have this information."
Helm was unmoving. "Give it to me, and I will pass it along."
"I must deliver this information personally."
"I cannot allow that," Helm said. "Turn back before it is too late."
Mystra continued to climb the Celestial Stairway, the primal forces of magic gathering tightly around Faerun as she willed them to be ready for her call.
"I have no desire to harm you, good Helm. Stand away."
"It is my duty to stop you," Helm said. "I was lax in my duties once. Never again."
Helm descended further.
"Stand away," Mystra said, her voice as loud as a thunderclap.
Helm stood his ground. "Do not force me to harm you, Mystra. I am still a god. You are not."
Mystra froze. "Not a god, you say? I will prove you wrong!"
Helm lowered his eyes, then looked back to her. "So be it."
---------------

Perhaps this was the moment when Mystra was killed ? :huh:

#32 Cyric

Cyric

Mystery is a Lifestyle

• 169 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:57 AM

exactly

some lines later:
---------------
For an instant, the goddess caught a glimpse of the beauty and perfection of her home in Nirvana.
All this was mine, Mystra thought. She reached the summit, her legs trembling beneath her. Then the Goddess of Magic grabbed for the gate, and a hand grasped her arm, spinning her around. There was a look of sadness in Helm's eyes.
"Farewell, goddess," Helm said.
Then he drove his hand through her chest.

#33 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:05 AM

I think if King Arthur had a God leading him, it would have been Helm. What do you think?

Tyr.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#34 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:39 AM

Red Knight could be a knightly god (god of strategy)

his portfolio may be slightly different from the ideals of the epitome knight but I think he is still one (as his name suggests ;))

btw Mystra is a bit of a muppet to sacrafice herself that way and does FR actually say what happened to Waukeen or do they say she packed her bags and left unexplainably.

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#35 Consis

Consis

Fantasy Movie Artist

• 36 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:43 AM

:o Wow! Cyric U Da Man! :o

That was awesome! I mean wtf was Mystra thinking? Helm was sad, but as good old Ajantis would constantly say, "Duty to one's cause outweighs all."

I don't know if you guys have seen the pic at wizards.com, but there is this really cool pic of Helm doing battle with what looks to be a Naga queen from Heroes of Might Magic III. Half woman, half serpent with multiple arms. Lower half is serpent and upper half is a female with multiple arms. Anyway it's awesome. I still have the link if anyone is interested. Bah, probably not. I think I'm the only Helm fan here.

Once again thankyou Cyric. That was the sweetest quote spoiler. You da man baby!

Edited by Consis, 16 June 2004 - 11:44 AM.

#36 raptor

raptor
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:51 PM

"Bhaal, Bane and Myrkul stole the Tablets of Fate, three mystical artifacts belonging to supreme god Ao. Not sure if we've ever been told what they are, but they're powerful enough that even the gods aren't supposed to get their hands on them." -Nightmare

Iirc the tablets themself didnt do anything at all, they where mere symbolic. but it was juse the final push-over for AO getting anoyed with the deities.

I always imagined that they had pretty much equalent power of a normal Avatar. but that may or may not be.

Concis, why dont you just read the books ? they arent all that long :-/

#37 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 02:00 PM

I am half way through the first avatar book after less than an hours reading, its very good reading :)

Tablets of fate sounds like items that would allow the gods to see their own and others futures but I guess not.

I really like Cyric's personality, its a shame he becomes a complete ass when he gains power -_-

Bah, probably not. I think I'm the only Helm fan here.

actually after reading some of the first avatar book I really like Helm more than I already did, my favourites are Helm, Kelemvor, Torm, Tyr and Lathandar. Very goody goody I'd say.

Edited by Felstorm, 16 June 2004 - 02:03 PM.

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#38 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 05:20 PM

Red Knight could be a knightly god (god of strategy)

his portfolio may be slightly different from the ideals of the epitome knight but I think he is still one (as his name suggests ;)

Red Knight is a she, not a he :).

btw Mystra is a bit of  a muppet to sacrafice herself that way and does FR actually say what happened to Waukeen or do they say she packed her bags and left unexplainably.

She managed to escape to the outerplanes by giving her portfolio and much of her divine essence to her friend Lliira, thereby escaping Ao's notice.

She tried to make a deal with a demon lord named Grazz't, but he betrayed her and took her prisoner. Some years later (after BG2 takes place) a group of adventurers from Faerun ascended the Celestial Stairway and after much effort managed to rescued her.

Once free she got Lliira to return her portfolio and powers and returned to her homeplane, the Outlands, where she's resumed her role of goddess of trade, money and wealth.

IIRC she's currently trying to rebuild her church, because while most of her priests converted to Lliira when she disappeared and then converted back to Waukeen upon her return, many of her followers switched to other deities (particularly Shaundakul).

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 16 June 2004 - 05:22 PM.

#39 Cyric

Cyric

Mystery is a Lifestyle

• 169 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:57 PM

Here is some good info about ToT:

http://members.chell...oftroubles.html

#40 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 12:57 AM

Red Knight is a she, not a he .

lies! :P ;)

Thanks for the info NiGHTMARE and Cyric

Defy me and die!

Posted Image