5 replies to this topic

#1 Mistress Elysia

Mistress Elysia

Officially a Dirty Old Woman

• Modder
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:42 AM

Hi y'all!

I have recently drawn a new portrait (which is all done and dusted and in the safe hands of Sol Ek Sa!) ...but I still have the original line art sketch, and I would like to have a go at colouring it digitally.

Now, just to express just how unfamiliar I am with digital colouring, I got a copy of photoshop 7 this morning...no kidding! I've used PSP7 for a while, but not to colour, just to use the basic filters.

So my basic request is does any one know any good (and easy to read, hard to misinterpret... ^_^ ) tutorials? I really would like to try to have a go at this, so I can play around with her colouring etc. I don't have a digital pen yet (that's being sorted out), so I am depending on a mouse for the time being.

Posted Image

This is the image I want to play with. (I already have a pastel coloured version, but I want to play.... :lol: )

Thanks! ^_^
;)
Elysia
xx

The Timely Resurrection of Fade!
Mistress Elysia's fantasy artwork.
Where Darkness Resides: A Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark fanfic

I want to live, I want to experience the universe and I want to eat pie.

"Oh, little ice cream friends! Thog delays boredom-driven rampage only for you!"

#2 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 02:03 AM

use google

I?ve psp 8 so this might not help but the things I use most is the freehand, set to point to point, and set to add, this helps with specific areas; color fill, brush, spray without going over the lines.

The paintbrush set to different sizes and shapes and very important is the opacity, set to different strengths.

The clone brush for mimicking other parts of a picture

The smudge brush, this is like your finger

I just started using it, and this is some of what I know. Just play around with every thing you see.
Live Free Or Die

#3 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:17 AM

I hope you have a tablet. :) Excellent tutorials:

#4 Hathor

Hathor

Noldo of Himring

• 176 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 04:12 AM

Beautiful portrait :) You could make drow and fearie from it.

First, change it from Gif to BMP and work on BMP (JPGs are corrupted when saved to many times). But, I guess you just posted GIF but have got another, larger picture on PC. The best to edit i picture scanned in 150 - 300 DPI (depending on it's size). Just if an eye is on the whole screen then it is good ;) Taht's what I think.
Portfolio Forgotten Isle and gallery at deviantART.

#5 JPS

JPS

Knight of the Living Dead

• 205 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:40 AM

Khayman's already posted a pretty impressive list of tutorials, but in case you're looking for more, there are some digital colouring tutorials on Elfwood as well.
"They have no thought of safety, subtlety, or strategy, leaving others with no hope of stopping their mass assault."

Visit the Gibberlings Three!

#6 Mistress Elysia

Mistress Elysia

Officially a Dirty Old Woman

• Modder
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 10:02 AM

^_^ Thank you all! spent the morning trawling through loads of tutorials that were fine...if you knew the basics of what you were up to. They had lots of little instructions like 'now create a new layer' and 'use the magic wand' ....ummm...yeeess...now how do you do that... :rolleyes: So I shall check there out and see how I get on!

Cheers!
:D
Elysia
xxx

The Timely Resurrection of Fade!
Mistress Elysia's fantasy artwork.
Where Darkness Resides: A Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark fanfic

I want to live, I want to experience the universe and I want to eat pie.

"Oh, little ice cream friends! Thog delays boredom-driven rampage only for you!"