Photo

Comments on "Allure of Heaven"

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:14 AM

Your collection of short stories is terrific, Bri. And on behalf of the board, I would like to apologize that the attendant comment thread didn't make it here through the merge. (Well, no one's comment threads made it, so...) But we will forge ahead... :D

You always give us unique insight to the BG world and you do it with a keen, square shot right between our eyes. I particularly enjoy that aspect of your writing. ;) Good stuff; good reads. Keep it comin'.

As to the latest short, I like very much how you show that bewilderment and sadness that the PC has got to feel after the saga. A good glimpse of the 'emotional mop-up', I would call it. Complete as it is, you could even expand further on it if the mood so struck you. ;)

And, to everyone else here... Hope all of you take the time to read Bri's short story thread, if you haven't already, and feel free to comment on particular ones here, whether the earlier offerings or the latest additions.

MG

#2 Bri

Bri
  • Modder
  • 1734 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:57 PM

Your collection of short stories is terrific, Bri. And on behalf of the board, I would like to apologize that the attendant comment thread didn't make it here through the merge. (Well, no one's comment threads made it, so...) But we will forge ahead...

Nice of you to say so MorningGlory. Yeah, there were a few problems when things were transferred, which is alright. If it went totally unscathed, I would be more shocked ;-)

As to the latest short, I like very much how you show that bewilderment and sadness that the PC has got to feel after the saga. A good glimpse of the 'emotional mop-up', I would call it. Complete as it is, you could even expand further on it if the mood so struck you.

Well, it is just a given that after any traumatic event in one's life, there would still be some turmoil, even if it was successful. Of course, when the stakes are higher, the emotional output is bound to be even higher. Heh, and you are right, I could continue it if I wished to, but it's not likely at this point.

"I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave it up." "You gave up drinking?" "No, I gave up reading..."

#3 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 29 June 2004 - 02:59 AM

;) no complaints form me i like your style of writting ;Dhehe

#4 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:09 AM

Bri,
I like the re-write of Sleeping Beauty. Makes an already excellent story even better.

I do think that "massive, glowing sword" works better than "massive glowing, fiery sword", for reasons of grammar and because supporting yourself on a fiery sword seems like a sure way to end up causing anything from a hotfoot to a forest fire. ;)

Sneaky, funny, and a classic. Well done. :)

#5 Bri

Bri
  • Modder
  • 1734 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:32 AM

;) no complaints form me i like your style of writting ;Dhehe

Sorry I didn't notice your comment before, Notmrt. Thanks for the kind words :)

"I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave it up." "You gave up drinking?" "No, I gave up reading..."

#6 Bri

Bri
  • Modder
  • 1734 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:34 AM

Bri,
I like the re-write of Sleeping Beauty. Makes an already excellent story even better.

I do think that "massive, glowing sword" works better than "massive glowing, fiery sword", for reasons of grammar and because supporting yourself on a fiery sword seems like a sure way to end up causing anything from a hotfoot to a forest fire. ;)

Sneaky, funny, and a classic. Well done. :)

Even with a day later, sometimes it is hard for me to catch the tiny mistakes. And thanks BobTokyo. Believe it or not, I did intend to change it to just "glowing sword", but I guess it escaped my notice the second time around as well.

And a hotfoot in armor isn't very good. I mean, dragons tend to refer to knights as lobsters. Then they have to pry the "shells" loose to get at the meat inside.

#7 Beyshaliban

Beyshaliban

With A Vengeance

• 738 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:48 AM

Nifty collection!

And the last one! Oh my... Good one, very good one, Bri. :lol:

#8 Bri

Bri
  • Modder
  • 1734 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 11:29 AM

Nifty collection!

And the last one! Oh my... Good one, very good one, Bri. :lol:

Thanks, Bey. But yeah, the last one was meant to be a twist on why the old fairy tales usually didn't have any prince coming back :)

#9 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:13 AM

Excellent, Bri.. Most enjoyable read, especially the wonderful 'twist' at the end. :D

Thanks, Bey. But yeah, the last one was meant to be a twist on why the old fairy tales usually didn't have any prince coming back 

Perfect explanation. :lol:

#10 Bri

Bri
  • Modder
  • 1734 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 03:47 PM

Heh, thanks MorningGlory. But honestly, most of the stories do have a series of princes go to rescue the spellbound princess, and most don't make it back.

#11 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:34 AM

Now, that took sometime searching to pull the comments thread out. hehe, but definitely worth it. I love the last chapter Bri. I think you brought out the vampiric nature of the characters beautifully.

#12 Bri

Bri
  • Modder
  • 1734 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:07 PM

Now, that took sometime searching to pull the comments thread out. hehe, but definitely worth it. I love the last chapter Bri. I think you brought out the vampiric nature of the characters beautifully.

Thanks Celestine. Heh, and I think I know how hard it was to dig it up...I searched through the threads for my old story thread...and after I put it up, I remembered that there was a link to it near the top.

#13 Little Dragon

Little Dragon

Die Gedanken sind frei

• 131 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:44 PM

re: Vampire Chapter

Personally, I think the song at the end fit the piece fine.

I like the way you wrote from the vampire's point of view without making him a sympathetic creature. And the poetry of the ending (those were shadow wolves, right?) was nice. One undead sibling destroying another.
"There was only one catch and that was Catch-22"
Joseph Heller, Catch-22 (1955)

#14 Little Dragon

Little Dragon

Die Gedanken sind frei

• 131 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:45 PM

I like the way you wrote from the vampire's point of view without making him a sympathetic creature. And the poetry of the ending (those were shadow wolves, right?) was nice. One undead sibling destroying another.

drat, double post, sorry :crying:

Edited by Little Dragon, 29 March 2005 - 08:46 PM.

"There was only one catch and that was Catch-22"
Joseph Heller, Catch-22 (1955)

#15 Bri

Bri
  • Modder
  • 1734 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:42 AM

I like the way you wrote from the vampire's point of view without making him a sympathetic creature.  And the poetry of the ending (those were shadow wolves, right?) was nice.  One undead sibling destroying another.

drat, double post, sorry  :crying:

View Post

Actually, I was thinking of werewolves, but shadow wolves fit the bill...

But thanks for the kind words :)

Edited by Bri, 30 March 2005 - 06:43 AM.