• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 04:17 PM

OK, in the last coupla weeks I have so far worked out how to:
  • Implement a new NPC using WeiDU
  • Change the NPC's class "title" in the game
  • Taught myself how to write custom spells
  • Implement druidic abilities via scripting said custom spells
  • Simulate desired extra powers and restrictions using custom items (as well as learning how to make custom items!)
  • Lose a lot of sleep... :)
But now I am just short of ONE little thing to make the "back-door" implementation of my druid-thief combo complete. Basically, I would like to extend the standard description of the assassin kit (stored as string #25213 in the dialog.tlk file) so as to include the "extras" the Chrysta NPC has as a "druidic assassin".

In reading the WeiDU documentation, it seems that this could be achieved by using:

STRING_SET #25213 ~regular assassin description + my extra blurb~

However, I am sensible enough to realise that my understanding of this is WAY from complete, and I also noticed the big do not use this command note in the documentation.

So have I got this right, and even if I have will something big and nasty happen if I use it? Or is there another (probably obvious!) way of doing this that I have overlooked?

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#2 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 17 November 2002 - 04:24 PM

Well, one suggestion would be to put her "druidic assassin" details inside her bio. It is NOT a player-selectable "kit" so it's not important that anybody but her have a description for it... so, bio.

That syntax is correct for STRING_SET.

One of the side effects of using STRING_SET is that it is NOT an uninstallable change. So even if people decide they don't want to play Chrysta anymore, and they take the mod out, that description would remain. You'd also be overriding whatever language they had that you didn't have a translation for, meaning their assassins would all be in English.

#3 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 04:42 PM

Well, one suggestion would be to put her "druidic assassin" details inside her bio. It is NOT a player-selectable "kit" so it's not important that anybody but her have a description for it... so, bio.

*Slaps head with a spiked haddock* Grrr!! :angry: I KNEW there was a blatantly obvious solution I hadn't thought of! *sigh* :rolleyes: Thanks Jason! One of these days I will pass my what-about-the-bleedin'-obvious exam, just not in the foreseeable future it seems!

One of the side effects of using STRING_SET is that it is NOT an uninstallable change. So even if people decide they don't want to play Chrysta anymore, and they take the mod out, that description would remain.

I am going to take your advice and use the bio for this... but couldn't the STRING_SET be effectively uninstalled by:

AT_UNINSTALL STRING_SET #25213 ~original assassin description~

Like I said, I'm not going to do it this way... I am just checking to see if I am beginning to get my head around WeiDU or not!

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#4 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 17 November 2002 - 04:59 PM

You could do something AT_UNINSTALL to correct it, I suppose, yes.