Overused Ideas in BG-series

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#201 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:41 PM

Ahh.. the immersion argument.

This is perhaps the single most subjective evaluation point there is. Frankly, I find the game enjoyable, exciting and fun but not really immersive. I'm supposed to be driving, but I am extremely limited in what I can do and say. It is a restraint of the medium and I'm fine with that. Therefore, the fourth wall stuff doesn't bother me and adds a bit of flavor and fun. If you can truly ignore the lmitations and disappear so completely, I'm happy for ya. But I'll keep my comedy, thank you very much.

#202 Ghreyfain

Ghreyfain
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, it's all pretty relative. The trouble I found was that so many of the jokes were integral parts of the plot. You *had* to talk to the Spectator Beholder. You *had* to get Bondari's band to go retrieve whatever the hell item it was you needed. With things like Larry, Daryl, and Daryl, you didn't have to meet them. Not to mention the fact that they seemed rather few and far between in BG1, while ToB--the supposed epic finale to the saga--was full of gags.

#203 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:12 PM

Well, ToB had more than its fair share of problems, the rather patheric development of the Five and the almost completely transparent Mellissan being two of the more glaring. And forcing the gags on the player was not the wisest course.

Odd thing is, I thought you could avoid sending Bondari and Co and do it yourself. Not really sure as it's been a while since I messed with ToB.

#204 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:18 PM

Ahh.. the immersion argument.

...which isn't actually that subjective at all. There's no denying that Bondari is a fourth-wall breaker. Whether or not it matters is the "subjective" part, but that's largely immaterial-- as I note earlier, people can enjoy stuff that isn't great quality (I believe "trash" was the rather harsh word I chose). The question remains whether we consider Bondari a masterpiece of comedic storytelling and call people arrogant for suggesting otherwise, or whether we agree that okay, it gives a few people a good laugh, but it's not really a high point of the game's writing.

Edited by SimDing0, 25 October 2005 - 01:18 PM.

Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#205 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:48 PM

There's a little problem.
Role Playing Games are genre that focuses on playing the character and breaking the fourth wall destroys the immersion.

View Post

I could not agree more.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.